AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'm going to be playing night haunt next week at some point. I've never played them before and was thinking of the following list:

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Hulking Physique 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Festus the Leechlord (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 161

Any suggestions or advice on playing them would be great. Thanks :)

3 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I'm going to be playing night haunt next week at some point. I've never played them before and was thinking of the following list:

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Hulking Physique 
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Festus the Leechlord (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 161

Any suggestions or advice on playing them would be great. Thanks :)

One Info I have just learned against nighthaunt... the festus spell minus 1 to saves doesnt work for ghost.

And also rustfang is useless = doesnt work in ghosts.

At least my last nighthaunt enemy told me so.

9 minutes ago, Zplash said:

One Info I have just learned against nighthaunt... the festus spell minus 1 to saves doesnt work for ghost.

And also rustfang is useless = doesnt work in ghosts.

At least my last nighthaunt enemy told me so.

Yeah they're immune to anything that increases or decreases their save.

ReAnimate, I'd suggest swapping the Lord of Blights for a Lord of Plagues, then drop Festus and the balewind for the plague cyst batallion. I'd also love to get the cogs in for the gutrot blight kings but it's much tougher. You won't be as tanky without the Lord of Blights, but the mortal wound output of night haunt would ignore it anyway. Then maybe stick the witherstave on the GUO with the extra artifact, or the tome of 1000 poxes for spinning the wheel. Oh and grandfather's blessing rather than hulking physique for the same reason.

9 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Yeah they're immune to anything that increases or decreases their save.

ReAnimate, I'd suggest swapping the Lord of Blights for a Lord of Plagues, then drop Festus and the balewind for the plague cyst batallion. I'd also love to get the cogs in for the gutrot blight kings but it's much tougher. You won't be as tanky without the Lord of Blights, but the mortal wound output of night haunt would ignore it anyway. Then maybe stick the witherstave on the GUO with the extra artifact, or the tome of 1000 poxes for spinning the wheel. Oh and grandfather's blessing rather than hulking physique for the same reason.

Is the battalion worth it? I keep trying to take a battalion but rather take a unit of plague drones instead.

3 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Is the battalion worth it? I keep trying to take a battalion but rather take a unit of plague drones instead.

They usually are, the reduced drops can make a huge difference because picking who goes first can swing the odds massively in your favor. Normally I'd say blight cyst is almost always worth it but nighthaunt ignores 90% of what it does, so plague cyst is the backup. Rerolling hits is pretty huge and the debuffs from nighthaunt make it more important, plus the chip mortal wound damage helps get around the etheral nonsense. 

30 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

They usually are, the reduced drops can make a huge difference because picking who goes first can swing the odds massively in your favor. Normally I'd say blight cyst is almost always worth it but nighthaunt ignores 90% of what it does, so plague cyst is the backup. Rerolling hits is pretty huge and the debuffs from nighthaunt make it more important, plus the chip mortal wound damage helps get around the etheral nonsense. 

How does this list seem? Was unsure of what to give the Lord so thought the extra damage on a roll of a 6+ would be useful for churning out as many wounds as possible and the rebuff to bravery, or could give the GUO the wheel shenanigans trait?

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plaue Flail & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Plagues (140)
- General
- Trait: Hideous Visage 
- Artefact: Anraheir's Claw 

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Battalions
Plague Cyst (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 155

Edited by ReAnimate Studios

5 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

How does this list seem? Was unsure of what to give the Lord so thought the extra damage on a roll of a 6+ would be useful for churning out as many wounds as possible and the rebuff to bravery, or could give the GUO the wheel shenanigans trait?

I agree with Dreadmund, ghyrstrike on the Lord of Plagues gives decent odds of getting at least one 6+ every combat phase which is super good. I probably wouldn't bother with hideous visage since most of the nighthaunt will be bravery 10 anyway so it won't make a huge difference. I've always found a good use for grandfather's blessing though so I'd say go with that.

Otherwise the list looks solid, let us know how it goes! 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

So I've decided I'm going to attend a tournament this year. More for sh*ts and gigs than anything else. I'm very much a casual player but thought it would be good to get some games in with people outside my usual group.

To that end I want a half decent list so I don't leave completely deflated and hating my hobby 🤣

SO my question is which of the Cyst battalions are a best all rounder in the competetive scene? I know the befoulment battalion is currently scene as our best battalion but 1) i don't want to buy/paint another 2 GUOs 2) I do t want to be that guy and would rather bring an all round list that both me and my opponent enjoy playing. Hence the choice of Cyst battalion.

I'm leaning more towards the plague cyst as rerolling all misses within 7" of the Lord of plagues seems like it could help ALOT more than the +1 rend.

What's people's thoughts on this?

Also if any members on here can recommend a good 1 day event in the north east of UK that would be much appriciated as well :)

11 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

So I've decided I'm going to attend a tournament this year. More for sh*ts and gigs than anything else. I'm very much a casual player but thought it would be good to get some games in with people outside my usual group.

To that end I want a half decent list so I don't leave completely deflated and hating my hobby 🤣

SO my question is which of the Cyst battalions are a best all rounder in the competetive scene? I know the befoulment battalion is currently scene as our best battalion but 1) i don't want to buy/paint another 2 GUOs 2) I do t want to be that guy and would rather bring an all round list that both me and my opponent enjoy playing. Hence the choice of Cyst battalion.

I'm leaning more towards the plague cyst as rerolling all misses within 7" of the Lord of plagues seems like it could help ALOT more than the +1 rend.

What's people's thoughts on this?

Also if any members on here can recommend a good 1 day event in the north east of UK that would be much appriciated as well :)

I use Blight Cyst because the rend IS amazing.  When you roll hot and get a handful of 6s and lay down a bunch of -1 rend wounds, you can kill anything.

• Like 1

So heres to hoping for a ghb19 where Beasts of Nurgle makes sense to field. Lately I have been running them a few times and it really doesn’t make sense for anything other than narrative games.

But what would it take for you lot to actually consider putting them in your lists?

- point deduction?

- beasts become battleline?

- changed stat or abilities? 

- Nurgles Menagerie to reduce points?

There was a brief moment where the accidic slimetrail inflicted D3 mortal wounds on a roll of 4+ Per model in the unit. That sure would be nice to have back, but what would it be worth in points? Would that be enough or are these beatiful models bound to be stuck in narrative games...

Edited by Greasygeek

On 2/20/2019 at 3:22 PM, Tropical Ghost General said:

Hey Everyone

A friend of mine has stopped playing AoS for 40k and I'm trying to get him back into it, but he's a stubborn ******. The new Maggotkin SC box has got him interested, so as he's not really on AoS forums and stuff, I thought I'd ask on his behalf some questions that he has, as my own knowledge on Nurgle is really limited. He isn't too keen on doing an army with lots of demons and wants to focus more on the 'human' side of Maggotkin. So the questions are....

1) Is the new SC set worth it?

2) How are Nurgle doing at the moment in the general overall meta?

3) Can you make a semi-competitive army without lots of demons?

4) Can you make a semi-competitive army with a variety of units or are there only a handful of decent choices?

5) If someone was starting out a Maggotkin army, apart from 1 x SC box, what other 'must haves' would you suggest adding?

Sorry for the many questions and thanks in advance for the help.

I’ve also been tempted by the SC as Nurgle is the only Chaos army I’ve not collected.

But damn, it just feels like the SC set is, well, underwhelming. Not really bang for your bucks. I mean it’s only just over 500 points, isn’t it? Compared to ... gulp .... 700 points in the Tzeentch set. And Tzeentch is cheaper and has more miniatures!

It’s those little that really grate from GW and make me hesitate. 🤨

53 minutes ago, Centurio said:

Well that's tough but I do bring the Witherstave which is a big FU to ghosts.

What about the carrion dirge (-2 to bravery) is that worth while taking?  It could potentially mean and additional 2 enemy units lost per combat phase?

Or is making the enemy reroll 6s quite effective?

Sorry still really new to AoS so plenty of questions 😁

Also for a potential tournament, there is a local 800 point event being run.

I think this would be a good event to get me into the swing of things and also a realistic target for having a painted army.

Any suggestions for a list this size? With our units being a bit on the expensive side, I have no idea where to start with this!

2 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Also for a potential tournament, there is a local 800 point event being run.

I think this would be a good event to get me into the swing of things and also a realistic target for having a painted army.

Any suggestions for a list this size? With our units being a bit on the expensive side, I have no idea where to start with this!

You could do worse than a harbinger or lord of plagues with 20 Blightkings for 800. Maybe 1 unit of 10 and 2 of 5. Then to get to 1k you can add a unit of plague drones, since mobility is what you will lack.

Alternatively, get the drones into 800 - something like: Harbinger, 10 Blightkings, 10 Plaguebearers, 3 plague drones.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

You could do worse than a harbinger or lord of plagues with 20 Blightkings for 800. Maybe 1 unit of 10 and 2 of 5. Then to get to 1k you can add a unit of plague drones, since mobility is what you will lack.

Alternatively, get the drones into 800 - something like: Harbinger, 10 Blightkings, 10 Plaguebearers, 3 plague drones.

I think I would rather more blight kings as they are absolute tanks. But I do have the plague bearers painted already 🤔

Thoughts on an 800 point list for the upcoming tournamnt;

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Lord of Plagues (140)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline

Total: 760 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 24
Wounds: 74

I am thinking I could potentially add in festus instead of gutrot for some spell support? 

Any thoughts would be much appriciated :)

2 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Thoughts on an 800 point list for the upcoming tournamnt;

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Lord of Plagues (140)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline

Total: 760 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 24
Wounds: 74

I am thinking I could potentially add in festus instead of gutrot for some spell support? 

Any thoughts would be much appriciated :)

Jup. I would add Festus instead of Gutrod in an 800 point match and you can use your leftover points for a balewind ;)

2 spells in festus and more range rocks 

• Like 1