AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Revan123 said:

Blightcyst. Will delete skeletons quickly and not so easy to get rid off. And even deleting Nagash. The only problem is any -1 to hit spell

Something like 2x6 drones for a double dronebomb to remove all 40 skeletons in one round of combat would work?

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

There's not much point in having glottkin and harbinger then, unless you save up over turns to activate both command abilities?

Glottkin and harbringer are in different list.

harbringer is in the first and glottkin is in the second

I've bought a Lord of Plagues (since if he's in the SC he's an easy conversion job), and I was wondering what path you would all recommend for Mortal / Rotbringers Maggotkin? I don't particularly care about being hyper competitive, I just love the models and want something that won't get tabled immediately.

It would be really good to have an idea where to start for skirmish.

Regarding Drones: I reckon they are a staple for our fast mover offensive slot.

Assuming a List with  30PB and 10 PB as Anvils, Gutrot Deepstriking 10 BK and a Bell GUO and space for one Wizard of Choice (Blades might be a good idea but is pretty unreliable): Would you run one unit of 6 or two units of 3? Also whats your preferred Locus-Hero? I do like the idea of Slimux but am afraid, that he wont be able to keep up.

List I´m thinking of is:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade and Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Pestilent Breath  OR Grandfahters Blessing?
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence OR Favored Poxes?
Gutrot Spume (140)
Horticulous Slimux (220) OR LOA with Rustfang (No Witherstave?)
Festus the Leechlord (140) OR a Herald with Favored Poxes?
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction (Blades worht it? Even when taking 2x3 Drones?)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200) OR 6x PD?
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147
Edited by Primes

Hi everyone! Thinking about bringing the Nurgle back on the table! I have some questions i would love the more experienced players to answer. All questions are Aimed for 2k games.

- how do they fair competitivly? Any lists that seem to be solid that have placed fairly high for you? 

- What is your go to list? (that got a punch but maybe not 100% optimized) 

How do they play with SoD? 

I own these models painted and ready as of today, so lists with mostly these would be the Dreams! 

- GUO (magnets on all weapons) 

- 60 Plaugebearers 

9x Drones 

9x Nurglings 

Any recommendations on were to go next? Add SoD? Stay Deamon Heavy? I'm thinking as a competitive player atm. Will try and use them in a tournament in 1 month! 

This is something i have been working on it uses most of what i have and like... what do you think?

Overal tactics: 

- Prince with Drones 

- warriors on back objective 

- Spume + 10x Kings combo were they are needed 

Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160)

Great Unclean One (340) - Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell Poxbringer

Herald of Nurgle (120)

Gutrot Spume (140)

------

10 x Chaos Warriors (180) - Hand Weapon & Shield

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by Kimbo

8 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi everyone! Thinking about bringing the Nurgle back on the table! I have some questions i would love the more experienced players to answer. All questions are Aimed for 2k games.

- how do they fair competitivly? Any lists that seem to be solid that have placed fairly high for you? 

- What is your go to list? (that got a punch but maybe not 100% optimized) 

How do they play with SoD? 

I own these models painted and ready as of today, so lists with mostly these would be the Dreams! 

- GUO (magnets on all weapons) 

- 60 Plaugebearers 

9x Drones 

9x Nurglings 

Any recommendations on were to go next? Add SoD? Stay Deamon Heavy? I'm thinking as a competitive player atm. Will try and use them in a tournament in 1 month! 

This is something i have been working on it uses most of what i have and like... what do you think?

Overal tactics: 

- Prince with Drones 

- warriors on back objective 

- Spume + 10x Kings combo were they are needed 

Great Unclean One (340) - Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell Poxbringer

Herald of Nurgle (120)

Gutrot Spume (140)

------

10 x Chaos Warriors (180) - Hand Weapon & Shield

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980  

Thank you in advance! 

Your List is not much different than mine (the Post above yours).

In my experience Gutrot + 10 Kings is an auto take. It gives flexibility and forces your oponnent to adjust his setup accordingly. Even if the fail their 8+1 Charge in the round they arrive, they give Contagion Points, are a giant threat and I found it very useful to have a hero in enemy backfield for summoning! 30 PB and GUO with Bell seem to be staples as well.

I am not sure if 10 Warriors are worth it for Objective Sitting. 5 BK do have one more wound, are offensively stronger and deal more damage...but are only 5 Models. Anyway, switching out the Warriors with 5 BK, would allow you to take a Endless Spell (Geminids, Vortex). You could even switch the Warriors for10 PBs and leave out the Herald (and summoning him T2 or T3) to add another 3 Drones. Magic isnt our strong point anyways. (Thats why Im debating wheter Blades of Putrefaction is worth it)

Best regards

10 hours ago, Primes said:

Assuming a List with  30PB and 10 PB as Anvils, Gutrot Deepstriking 10 BK and a Bell GUO and space for one Wizard of Choice (Blades might be a good idea but is pretty unreliable): Would you run one unit of 6 or two units of 3? Also whats your preferred Locus-Hero? I do like the idea of Slimux but am afraid, that he wont be able to keep up.

List I´m thinking of is:

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction (Blades worht it? Even when taking 2x3 Drones?)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

I Like you list and I want to build something like that.

I think you mix two ideas: a hammer drone and a hammer BK and I think it should be one or the other.  I suggest you to drop 3 PD to add more PB for more board control. 

I like a lot Horticulus and I want to play him but I feel like a LOA will be more effective. If you test the two I'd like your feedback !

5 hours ago, Primes said:

Your List is not much different than mine (the Post above yours).

In my experience Gutrot + 10 Kings is an auto take. It gives flexibility and forces your oponnent to adjust his setup accordingly. Even if the fail their 8+1 Charge in the round they arrive, they give Contagion Points, are a giant threat and I found it very useful to have a hero in enemy backfield for summoning! 30 PB and GUO with Bell seem to be staples as well.

I am not sure if 10 Warriors are worth it for Objective Sitting. 5 BK do have one more wound, are offensively stronger and deal more damage...but are only 5 Models. Anyway, switching out the Warriors with 5 BK, would allow you to take a Endless Spell (Geminids, Vortex). You could even switch the Warriors for10 PBs and leave out the Herald (and summoning him T2 or T3) to add another 3 Drones. Magic isnt our strong point anyways. (Thats why Im debating wheter Blades of Putrefaction is worth it)

Best regards

Thanks! Appriciate the help. 

What is your take on chaos knights? Or anyone elses opinion for that matter? I do love the models! 

Great Unclean One 

Gutrot Spume 

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle 

Lord of Afflictions 

30 x Plaguebearers 

10 x Plaguebearers 

10 x Putrid Blightkings 

6 x Plague Drones 

Total: 1980 / 2000 Extra Command Points: 0 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 146

Something like this maybe? I got inspired by your list (Primes) and made it to fit the units i own.

Feedback is well appriciated! Will it have some punch? Anyone can ofc reply..all the better! 

Edited by Kimbo

45 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Thanks! Appriciate the help. 

What is your take on chaos knights? Or anyone elses opinion for that matter? I do love the models! 

Oh funny that you ask of Knights speficially. I did try to make them work in several of my last games:

My List was some variation of:

GUO with Bell

Gutrot

Lord on Mount

Two Sorcerers (Blades and Plague Squall)

10 BK

5 BK

30 PB

5 Knights + 5 Knights OR 10 Knights

What I found:

- They move pretty damn fast with 10" Basemove, Bell, Run+Charge and +1 to Runs and Charges

- Unfortunately they can´t fly and with nearly no way of deleting screens from range had to charge the screen or charge nothing at all

- Thats one reason why I prefer the (counter intuitive) split in two units of 5; gives more flexibility; also 10 are quite hard to move around and attack with as they lack fly

- On the Charge they do about 8 Wounds with the Lords CA and an additional 6-7MW with Blades

- Blades are unreliable and you are not always in range to cast it given their stron movement

-  If you can´t kill your target with the initial charge you are stuck, dont do a lot of damage and have to retreat or act as an anvil instead of a hammer

- They are quite resilient with 15 Wounds, 4+ Save and a 5++ against mortals. If you don´t present jucier targets a spellcasting opponent will have struggle killing them all (not giving good targets includes having PBs and GUO in the opponents face as well); so they are a pretty good anvil against MW heavy armies

- The -1 Bravery debuff never mattered but this might change with gloomspite (another fellwater troggoth running should be really nice). You could combine it with appropriate Command Trait and Artifact on Lord for a -4 (or 5?) Bravery Debuff Bubble.

Heres an analysis of their damage output; hopefully you can read it. It tells you what weapon does what average damage against what save under what condition. I do have the same analysis for several other units. It disregards movement and resiliency but I feel what nurgle lacks the most is a solid hammer, so I found it quite helpful.

image.png.8bbb950ee110222cba82ef43b81b7020.png

Having said that: I´m not sure if the unit is worth it. Drones do the same damage with Locus and more with Locus and GUO Command (and thats compared to charging Knights!) As you are taking a GUO anyways you would save the 140 Points for the Lord on Mount. So 460 (for Lord, 2x5 Knights) vs. 400 (for 2x3 Drones), saving you 60 Points and keeping the same or better offensive output. Defensively they are quite close as well. Footprint is more or less the same. Drones move slower but have fly. Knights are more buffable. If you take a Harbringer of Decay they are very resilient....

Sorry for my unstructured thougts, as you can see I´m not very sure myself. Maybe others can share their experiences.

1 hour ago, Primes said:

Oh funny that you ask of Knights speficially. I did try to make them work in several of my last games:

My List was some variation of:

GUO with Bell

Gutrot

Lord on Mount

Two Sorcerers (Blades and Plague Squall)

10 BK

5 BK

30 PB

5 Knights + 5 Knights OR 10 Knights

What I found:

- They move pretty damn fast with 10" Basemove, Bell, Run+Charge and +1 to Runs and Charges

- Unfortunately they can´t fly and with nearly no way of deleting screens from range had to charge the screen or charge nothing at all

- Thats one reason why I prefer the (counter intuitive) split in two units of 5; gives more flexibility; also 10 are quite hard to move around and attack with as they lack fly

- On the Charge they do about 8 Wounds with the Lords CA and an additional 6-7MW with Blades

- Blades are unreliable and you are not always in range to cast it given their stron movement

-  If you can´t kill your target with the initial charge you are stuck, dont do a lot of damage and have to retreat or act as an anvil instead of a hammer

- They are quite resilient with 15 Wounds, 4+ Save and a 5++ against mortals. If you don´t present jucier targets a spellcasting opponent will have struggle killing them all (not giving good targets includes having PBs and GUO in the opponents face as well); so they are a pretty good anvil against MW heavy armies

- The -1 Bravery debuff never mattered but this might change with gloomspite (another fellwater troggoth running should be really nice). You could combine it with appropriate Command Trait and Artifact on Lord for a -4 (or 5?) Bravery Debuff Bubble.

Heres an analysis of their damage output; hopefully you can read it. It tells you what weapon does what average damage against what save under what condition. I do have the same analysis for several other units. It disregards movement and resiliency but I feel what nurgle lacks the most is a solid hammer, so I found it quite helpful.

image.png.8bbb950ee110222cba82ef43b81b7020.png

Having said that: I´m not sure if the unit is worth it. Drones do the same damage with Locus and more with Locus and GUO Command (and thats compared to charging Knights!) As you are taking a GUO anyways you would save the 140 Points for the Lord on Mount. So 460 (for Lord, 2x5 Knights) vs. 400 (for 2x3 Drones), saving you 60 Points and keeping the same or better offensive output. Defensively they are quite close as well. Footprint is more or less the same. Drones move slower but have fly. Knights are more buffable. If you take a Harbringer of Decay they are very resilient....

Sorry for my unstructured thougts, as you can see I´m not very sure myself. Maybe others can share their experiences.

Interesting data. Gonna have to look at it more deeply later. 

Btw. Is the blight cyst Batalion considered competitive? Have you played with it? Looks cool! 

On 1/13/2019 at 3:53 PM, Primes said:

List I´m thinking of is:

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

I've used Slimux, and if you are careful with him, he can keep up. That said, I've had better luck, imo, with a vermin lord corruptor. Fast enough to keep up, and I give him one of the @$$-kicking artifact blades i.e. dimensional blade or sword of judgement. He's a real force with those 10 attacks!. And while he may be squishy-er than Slimux, you can help him a bit with possibly healing him from your GUO. I've never had him not get his points back, he can be a real pain to armies with that one big guy that everything hinges on (Nagash, Stardrake, etc) and is cool looking on the table as well. All good.

Edited by Tasman

2 hours ago, Tasman said:

I've used Slimux, and if you are careful with him, he can keep up. That said, I've had better luck, imo, with a vermin lord corruptor. Fast enough to keep up, and I give him one of the @$$-kicking artifact blades i.e. dimensional blade or sword of judgement. He's a real force with those 10 attacks!. And while he may be squishy-er than Slimux, you can help him a bit with possibly healing him from your GUO. I've never had him not get his points back, he can be a real pain to armies with that one big guy that everything hinges on (Nagash, Stardrake, etc) and is cool looking on the table as well. All good.

Mate, can you show med the list you've used with the Vermin lord? Would love to se it and if you could share your overal strategy when playing it? 

I made my own just now, what you think? 

Great Unclean One (340)

Gutrot Spume (140)

Verminlord Corruptor (220)

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

10 x Plaguebearers (120) 

6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 / 2000 Extra Command Points: 0 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 150

Thanks man! 

Edited by Kimbo
  • Like 1

Hi again. Now i got a better grip of the 2k lists that I'm gonna try..but... 

I got a 1k tournament coming up in 2 weeks...I would love some feedback on this list. Is it atleast somewhat good? It uses what i have painted today...How would you make it more competitive? 

Great Unclean One (340)

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Total: 980 

All help is much appriciated! 

20 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Mate, can you show med the list you've used with the Vermin lord? Would love to se it and if you could share your overal strategy when playing it? 

I made my own just now, what you think? 

Great Unclean One (340)

Gutrot Spume (140)

Verminlord Corruptor (220)

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

10 x Plaguebearers (120) 

6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 / 2000 Extra Command Points: 0 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 150

Thanks man! 

I can't find the list I used, but this one you show is basically the same. You can give the VL either the dimensional blade,(great v those good armor save units), or the sword of judgement for hero/monster sniping.

I'm going to start a Nurgle list for our campaign at AoS. Mostly from the Maggotkin of Nurgle range: 

Trying to focus on synergies between heroes, so:

Lord of Plagues

Harbinger of Decay w/ Carrion Dirge 

The Glottkin w/ Blades of putrefaction spell : Main buffer: Buffs the maraudeur for 2W, and blades of putrefaction on the 10-men unit.

Lord of Blight - General w/ Grandfather's blessing trait: Better management of the wheel, support & offensive hero.

Sorcerer w/ Muttergrub and Gift of Contagion spell: will be casting mystic shield and Gift of contagion, mainly. I took Muttergrub as I need him to cast these two spells, or Gift of contagion and the spell for management of the wheel. Critical item in this list I believe. 

5 BKs

5 BKs

10 BKs (the hammer of the army)

20 Chaos Marauders: I needed objective holder and good screening: I believe they can do both with the Glottkin wound spell. I preferred them to be 40-men unit, but no pts left. And I am not ready yet to remove the LoB (the model is cool)

Plague Cyst (I prefer plague cyst instead of Blightcyst. Synergies better with the lord of plagues, and blades of putrefaction spell imho.

Chronomantic Cogs: Critical reroll saves and extra spell on Glottkin, or +2 move and charge. With a good timing with the wheel, I can go up to +4 move and +2 to charge. 

And with feculent gnarlmaw can run and charge as well. I believe Feculent gnarlmaw is free and works as sylvaneth wyldwood (for setup purpose)? 

Carrion Dirge & Glottkin & Gift of contagion to avoid getting hit.

Reroll hit from plague cyst & 6s for additional hits & 6s for additional mortal wounds. 

A little bit of shooting

Micro management for the wheel with general trait, spell, and stuff. 

Edited by Alezya