AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 12/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, Oldshrimpeyes said:

How do you Maggots find vanguard games? I tend to play a lot of 1000pt level games at the moment. This isn't really out of choice, I'm stuck with a 4x4 table at home for the time being. I'm finding it very hard to be effective at 1000pts and I'm struggling to put my finger on why.

I'm playing against Legions of Nagash almost exclusively. I don't feel there is enough in the tool box at 1000pts to put up any real resistance against them. I can't set up a big enough anvil to weather the 40 skeleton assault without compromising every other element of the list. If I do dish out enough damage to kill something I'm too slow to pressure grave sites and find myself back to square one.

Anyone have any advice or experience for things to consider at the 1k level? I can't seem to find the balance to mitigate our slow movement and low damage output. Or is Nurgle at 1k just a very tough ask?

Great Unclean one 

5xPutrid Blightkings

5xPutrid Blightkings

30 plaguebearers or 10 chaos knight

For 1k you have 4 squads for objective control and some damage

8 hours ago, Revan123 said:

Great Unclean one 

5xPutrid Blightkings

5xPutrid Blightkings

30 plaguebearers or 10 chaos knight

For 1k you have 4 squads for objective control and some damage

Remember GUO's command ability only works on daemon units, so you'd have to take the plaguebearers to make it worthwhile.

Hi guys, first post in this thread but I just wanted to ask some general questions as I've not played much but done a lot of research and reading.

1.  Lord of Afflictions.  I look at his scroll and see a lot of good things, including Plague Vector allowing reroll of all attacks for Rotbringers, which includes the Glottkin, Blightkings and of course, himself.  It is also rerolls for ranged attacks, making the Glottkin's shooting attack potentially more relialbe (although the 4+ to wound is still challenging).  He seems like a very versatile, supportive piece that is hard to take out and can pump out some decent rend attacks as well, but I never see lists with him.  Is it just the  220 pt cost  the main reason he isn't taken?

2. Plague Squall.  A lot of suggestions to take Plague Squall but it looks like a wildly unreliable spell that has minimal impact on the game to me?  What am I missing?  Is there a lot of two or three wound characters that are crucial to remove in the game? 

3. Generally speaking, the command points seem pretty vital for Nurgle lists but the cost of most of the battalions seems quite prohibitive.  Is it better to aim for 1950 and squeeze an extra command point into a list, rather than the battalions?  Obviously the battalions come with other benefits but the only two battalions I've managed to make lists I am happy with are Thricefold Befoulment and Blight Cyst.  They feel light on bodies but the benefits seem very worthwhile.

4. If you were taking a Warshrine, would you bring it in as an Ally instead of a Nurgle choice, and gain the Undivided ability (reroll hit and wounds of 1). It seems more effective than the Nurgle reroll all wounds, which with the wheel is potentially only rerolling 1s anyway?

5. Pretty much every list that I've written that I like includes a Harbinger of Decay, as it feels like he just adds so much survivability to any list. How often does he get scalpeled out and what are some good ways to prevent that from occuring?

6. Witherstave + Glottkin interaction. I have a list with the Witherstave and the Carrion Dirge and the Glottkin.  My understanding of these interactions is - at the start of the Combat Phase I roll 2D6 for each unit within 7" of the Glottkin.  If I roll over their Bravery, which is reduced by 2 because of the Carrion Dirge, they are -1 to hit.   Assuming I succeed at this Bravery roll, when an enemy makes an attack, firstly if they roll any 6+ those are rerolled.  Once all dice have been rerolled, -1 is added to the roll. Is that correct?   Or does it work the other way, and the Witherstave not a good choice in that situation?

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts!

7 hours ago, sious_69 said:

Hi guys, first post in this thread but I just wanted to ask some general questions as I've not played much but done a lot of research and reading.

1.  Lord of Afflictions.  I look at his scroll and see a lot of good things, including Plague Vector allowing reroll of all attacks for Rotbringers, which includes the Glottkin, Blightkings and of course, himself.  It is also rerolls for ranged attacks, making the Glottkin's shooting attack potentially more relialbe (although the 4+ to wound is still challenging).  He seems like a very versatile, supportive piece that is hard to take out and can pump out some decent rend attacks as well, but I never see lists with him.  Is it just the  220 pt cost  the main reason he isn't taken?

In my experience he is really handy, but the re-roll is exclusive to Rotbringers which makes his cost a consideration because with Rotbringer heavy lists the points stack up really quickly.

2. Plague Squall.  A lot of suggestions to take Plague Squall but it looks like a wildly unreliable spell that has minimal impact on the game to me?  What am I missing?  Is there a lot of two or three wound characters that are crucial to remove in the game? 

Plague Squall is just handy to drop mortals on heroes and chip away at them, since we have a couple ways of doing infinite range d3 mortals it can quickly pile up and get rid of those hard to reach support heroes

3. Generally speaking, the command points seem pretty vital for Nurgle lists but the cost of most of the battalions seems quite prohibitive.  Is it better to aim for 1950 and squeeze an extra command point into a list, rather than the battalions?  Obviously the battalions come with other benefits but the only two battalions I've managed to make lists I am happy with are Thricefold Befoulment and Blight Cyst.  They feel light on bodies but the benefits seem very worthwhile.

I struggle with this sometimes as well, the best way I’ve found of deciding was having a plan for my CP, or bringing a aetherquartz brooch for a chance to get my expended CP back

4. If you were taking a Warshrine, would you bring it in as an Ally instead of a Nurgle choice, and gain the Undivided ability (reroll hit and wounds of 1). It seems more effective than the Nurgle reroll all wounds, which with the wheel is potentially only rerolling 1s anyway?

It depends on if you want a harbinger of decay to affect the warshrine IMO, if you are happy to rely on the shrines 4+ and 6++ then undivided is the way to go, you could also sub in a chaos sorcerer lord to hand out the rerolls

5. Pretty much every list that I've written that I like includes a Harbinger of Decay, as it feels like he just adds so much survivability to any list. How often does he get scalpeled out and what are some good ways to prevent that from occuring?

With the lack of shooting in the meta, as long as you’re smart and keep him out of threat range or hiding behind chaff walls he takes a fair while to die, however I encourage you to try building lists without him because after a year of playing with the model I’ve realised I use it as a crutch more often than not.

6. Witherstave + Glottkin interaction. I have a list with the Witherstave and the Carrion Dirge and the Glottkin.  My understanding of these interactions is - at the start of the Combat Phase I roll 2D6 for each unit within 7" of the Glottkin.  If I roll over their Bravery, which is reduced by 2 because of the Carrion Dirge, they are -1 to hit.   Assuming I succeed at this Bravery roll, when an enemy makes an attack, firstly if they roll any 6+ those are rerolled.  Once all dice have been rerolled, -1 is added to the roll. Is that correct?   Or does it work the other way, and the Witherstave not a good choice in that situation?

The order of operations is as follows;

reroll 6s with witherstave, add modifications (positive and negative) then check for successful rolls

so you are correct, but having so many debuffs in the army tends to make it so opponents can only succeed in natural 6s, which the witherstave forcing rerolls of is tons of fun.

44 minutes ago, Garuun said:

I struggle with this sometimes as well, the best way I’ve found of deciding was having a plan for my CP, or bringing a aetherquartz brooch for a chance to get my expended CP back

It depends on if you want a harbinger of decay to affect the warshrine IMO, if you are happy to rely on the shrines 4+ and 6++ then undivided is the way to go, you could also sub in a chaos sorcerer lord to hand out the rerolls

With the lack of shooting in the meta, as long as you’re smart and keep him out of threat range or hiding behind chaff walls he takes a fair while to die, however I encourage you to try building lists without him because after a year of playing with the model I’ve realised I use it as a crutch more often than not.

Thanks for the response!

Seems to come back to that same struggle for points for a battalion, because I can't see a 1/3 chance for a CP being better than: Witherstave, Endless Gift, Rustfang, Ethereal Amulet, Ghyrstrike or Carrion Dirge?  All feel like they would consistently perform as opposed to the Brooch.

The downside of the Sorcerer Lord is simply the fact that he can be unbound, whereas the Warshrine is a 66% chance of working.  Not accounting for unbinding Sorcerer Lord is higher chance of working, but does not passively buff the rest of the list, and has the risk of coming up against a list that can unbind easily.  But there is definitely a discussion between the two worth having.

I can see already how challenging it is leaving the Harbinger out.  It seems extremely effective to hand out a 5+ save to most of the models in the list that don't already have one.  He is in most that I write!

3 hours ago, sious_69 said:

Thanks for the response!

Seems to come back to that same struggle for points for a battalion, because I can't see a 1/3 chance for a CP being better than: Witherstave, Endless Gift, Rustfang, Ethereal Amulet, Ghyrstrike or Carrion Dirge?  All feel like they would consistently perform as opposed to the Brooch.

The downside of the Sorcerer Lord is simply the fact that he can be unbound, whereas the Warshrine is a 66% chance of working.  Not accounting for unbinding Sorcerer Lord is higher chance of working, but does not passively buff the rest of the list, and has the risk of coming up against a list that can unbind easily.  But there is definitely a discussion between the two worth having.

I can see already how challenging it is leaving the Harbinger out.  It seems extremely effective to hand out a 5+ save to most of the models in the list that don't already have one.  He is in most that I write!

I'm gonna have to argue for the sorcerer lord, sure he can get unbound but its another wizard for scenarios and another unbind, on top of his spell being insane for 5+ to cast, and he has a passive mystic shield as well he can hand out, but you do make a fair point.

And my last opponent at the Australian Masters can attest to how ridiculous the brooch can be when all you do is roll 5+; I had Chaos Knights rip 6 dracoline off the table, this is after I've guaranteed 6's to run, from what I recall I ended up using 10 or so CP that turn alone

12 hours ago, sious_69 said:

Hi guys, first post in this thread but I just wanted to ask some general questions as I've not played much but done a lot of research and reading

Hey sious,

Nice Post! My thoughts on this:

1: I dont field LOA that often because as mentioned in rotbringer lists i find it hard to spend 220 points. That said most rotbringers lists meaning Lot of Bks which are little bit slow to follow. Maybe with a pointdrop of our Blihgtlords the LOA sees more Love. Additional in all my games LOA didnt perform well regarding dmg... A positive factor of him is of course his fast flying movement and that he can bring an artefact pretty quickly everywhere in the Board. ( in my daemon heavy lists i use a daemon prince for that :) )

2. I like the spell on a sorcerer which i can place at the edge of the Board and a long Time out of unbinding range. As mentioned with our wheel and e.g. rotigus spell its possible to kill sup heros heros with 5+ wounds... and remember a double turn. Otherwise nurgle dont have that many tools dor backline snipping ;) But you are 120 points sounds pretty much for the spell. That said the spell Won me already some games. I like to field it with rotigus togehter in my caster heavy lists, so ist more difficult to decides what to unbind.

3. I totally agree. CP are more important than ever.  That 6 run or charge reroll is so important. And of course if you play HoD you need 1 CP every round anyway... not to mention glottkin, Lord of blights or GUO command abilities. Still in 2k I always try to manage a battalion. I am focusing mostly on daemons and get the meta little bit offguard with that :D so my 2 battalions are thricefold or tallyband. That extra artefact is in my eyes just too big die nurgle to pass. Battalion cost minus 50 is the cost for artefact and benefit. That said i have lists using battalion und still leave 50 points out for extra CP.

4. As mentioned depends on if you want that HoD save on him.

5. I dont like/play him that much. He feels like a must take in mortal armees but as mentioned i dont like the mortal meta train currently so im playing our daemons. You have to consider his costs plus 1CP every round to get his effect. Thats pretty pretty expensive for a good ability. And you are Limited with your movement because you have to care for him. As mentioned in the current meta there isnt that much of shooting so you should be able to keep him alive.

6. Im not sure but i think the glottkin debuff refers always to the unmodified bravery characteristic. So without the bravery debuff of -2. Nur i could be wrong... Maybe someone Else can tell us.  The sequence of Actions is as described by our nurgle follower before.

Sry lads if there are too many typing errors in that Post. I tried to manage it on the phone and the autocorrect of my foreign language nearly killed me :D

Edited by Zplash

8 hours ago, Garuun said:

I don't know..... there's still plenty of stuff out there that can shoot him down pretty quickly. It's hard, next to impossible to screen that big dude from shooting.

I usually have to shadow him with Festus so he can potentially get 2d3 wounds back per turn. That's a huge point sink even though Festus has a cool (if short range) spell to offer.

Hey guys, 

Just found this thread and am enjoying reading through and gathering insights. Haven't read through it all yet, so I apologize if someone's already come up with the list I'm about to share.

I put together this list yesterday after reading up on ally battalions and confirming the Beasts of Chaos' Pestilent Throng can be included in a Nurgle list (check the BoC errata):

All beastmen units in the list are in the battalion, which costs 200 points and gives them the Nurgle keyword and the ability that, upon the unit's death, causes a mortal would on a 2+ to all enemy units within 7".

Great Bray-Shaman 

Great Unclean One: General, Blade and Bell, Tome of a Thousand Poxes, Grandfather's Blessing, Favoured Poxes  

Lord of Blights: Rustfang 

Festus the Leechlord: Blades of Putrefaction

10x Ungors

10x Ungors

10x Ungors

10x Putrid Blight Kings

20x Centigors 

1x Tuskgor Chariots 

1x Tuskgor Chariots

1x Tuskgor Chariots

1x Tuskgor Chariots

Soulsnare Shackles

Pestilent Throng

Drops: 5

Wounds: 169

A few notes on how this works: The beastmen units all get +6" to their movement profiles if within range of the GB-S and the GUO, along with access to the Gnarlmaw. The strategy would be to try to charge all the chariots (who have rerolls to charge) on the first turn, pinning your opponent in place.  After doing some damage, they provide some  MWs upon death.

The Centigors (who can run and charge) have an ability that gives them +1 to hit in exchange for being +1 to hit for opponents. The downside of that can be addressed by the Lord of Blight's command ability.  If BoP goes off, they do MWs on 5+ with 4 attacks each, for a total of 81 attacks that reroll wounds on a turn in which they charged, likely wiping out whatever they hit.  The Ungors are 60 pts for a unit of 10 and are needed for the battalion; they just try to screen and be annoying. 

The GB-S can use his Devolve spell to move enemy units out of cover and into combat, if desired.

The Blight Kings and LoB move into the thick of things and contest for central objectives. 

What do you think? 

3 hours ago, Hitch said:

Hey guys, 

Just found this thread and am enjoying reading through and gathering insights. Haven't read through it all yet, so I apologize if someone's already come up with the list I'm about to share.

I put together this list yesterday after reading up on ally battalions and confirming the Beasts of Chaos' Pestilent Throng can be included in a Nurgle list (check the BoC errata):

All beastmen units in the list are in the battalion, which costs 200 points and gives them the Nurgle keyword and the ability that, upon the unit's death, causes a mortal would on a 2+ to all enemy units within 7".

Great Bray-Shaman 

Great Unclean One: General, Blade and Bell, Tome of a Thousand Poxes, Grandfather's Blessing, Favoured Poxes  

Lord of Blights: Rustfang 

Festus the Leechlord: Blades of Putrefaction

10x Ungors

10x Ungors

10x Ungors

10x Putrid Blight Kings

20x Centigors 

1x Tuskgor Chariots 

1x Tuskgor Chariots

1x Tuskgor Chariots

1x Tuskgor Chariots

Soulsnare Shackles

Pestilent Throng

Drops: 5

Wounds: 169

A few notes on how this works: The beastmen units all get +6" to their movement profiles if within range of the GB-S and the GUO, along with access to the Gnarlmaw. The strategy would be to try to charge all the chariots (who have rerolls to charge) on the first turn, pinning your opponent in place.  After doing some damage, they provide some  MWs upon death.

The Centigors (who can run and charge) have an ability that gives them +1 to hit in exchange for being +1 to hit for opponents. The downside of that can be addressed by the Lord of Blight's command ability.  If BoP goes off, they do MWs on 5+ with 4 attacks each, for a total of 81 attacks that reroll wounds on a turn in which they charged, likely wiping out whatever they hit.  The Ungors are 60 pts for a unit of 10 and are needed for the battalion; they just try to screen and be annoying. 

The GB-S can use his Devolve spell to move enemy units out of cover and into combat, if desired.

The Blight Kings and LoB move into the thick of things and contest for central objectives. 

What do you think? 

I like a bunch of these ideas but there's one drawback and it may be the biggest - it's certainly the problem in a lot of lists I try. Blades is ultra-critical. No successful blades cast, no punch (on any durable unit).

I've personally been contemplating moving away from blades and the units that use it (plague monks - although these have punch to spare - & Plague Drones for instance) and just getting 2 more GUOs (1 of which rotigus) for thricefold.

I think 20 Centigors would still deal plenty of damage without Blades, right? Assuming they charged:

41 spear attacks at 3+= 27 hits; rerollable 4+ to wound= 20 wounds; 4+ Armor = 10 wounds inflicted

40 clawed forelimbs at 4+= 20 hits; 5+ to wound= 6 wounds; 4+ Armor= 3 wounds inflicted

13 total wounds 

Compared to 10 Blight Kings with no outside help:

30 attacks at 3+ with exploding 6s= 37 hits; 3+ to wound= 24 wounds; 4+ armor= 12 wounds inflicted

= 12 total wounds

Obviously the BKs are more resilient, but the Centigors would have a 20" move on turn 1 with native run and charge. 

16 hours ago, Hitch said:

Compared to 10 Blight Kings with no outside help:

30 attacks at 3+ with exploding 6s= 37 hits; 3+ to wound= 24 wounds; 4+ armor= 12 wounds inflicted

= 12 total wounds

The math here is wrong, since you have to subtract the five 6s from the hit total, so it would be 32 hits on average, with 1 to 2 fewer total wounds as a result.

17 minutes ago, peasant said:

Give it a try, I think its the only way to play the melee Guo, a lot of people prefer support Guo (bileBlade and Bell)

Melee GUO = endless gift 

Best artefact for melee GUO but without thricefold i wouldnt recommend a melee GUO ...