AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

Took about 8 wounds in 4 turns with bloab and rotigus casting it the other day.

Bloab and rotigus casting it in turn 4?? It’s a mortal spell and can be cast once a turn. Think you may be a bit confused. If what you mean is you’ve cast it alongside Bloab and rotigus signiature spell, that’s not a great evidence base, because the two other spells you’re talking about can easily do 8 wounds without squall. 

In my exp I’ve seen it do very little. 6’s on 7 dice is statistically poor. Plus the casting value of 7 means it’s gonna fail more than it goes off, and that’s not even taking unbinding into account. 

Like I said, in the dozen games I’ve tested it, it’s done nothing.  Although I’ve heard it be ok for some people, I think it’s a waste of a spell (compared to nurgle lore and realm spell options). 

Edited by NurglesFirstChosen

1 hour ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Plus the casting value of 7 means it’s gonna fail more than it goes off, and that’s not even taking unbinding into account. 

On the contrary! Out of 36 possible outcomes to rolling two 6 sided dice, 7 is the most statistically likely outcome with 6 out of 36 potential outcomes resulting in 7. In fact, 21 of the 36 possible outcomes result in a 7 or higher - roughly 58% chance of success. It's true that unbinding rolls make things more complicated, but don't look down on the humble 7. It is our sacred number after all!

DNhaf.png

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

On the contrary! Out of 36 possible outcomes to rolling two 6 sided dice, 7 is the most statistically likely outcome with 6 out of 36 potential outcomes resulting in 7. In fact, 21 of the 36 possible outcomes result in a 7 or higher - roughly 58% chance of success. It's true that unbinding rolls make things more complicated, but don't look down on the humble 7. It is our sacred number after all!

DNhaf.png

Fair enough. But even with that in mind, 7 is not a strong casting value. You’re right about unbinding, as your helpful tool shows, the opponents chances of unbinding is good (not even taking into account unbinding buffs). An important point to remember also is our lack of casting buffs. Unfortunately magic is not something that nurgle dominates.

When the tome first came out the strength of squall was its unlimited range meaning you were often out of unbinding range. With the release of aos2’s 30’’ unbinding bubble that strength has been removed. Even deluge of nurgles power has been diminished, and I think squall has become really quite useless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Fair enough. But even with that in mind, 7 is not a strong casting value. You’re right about unbinding, as your helpful tool shows, the opponents chances of unbinding is good (not even taking into account unbinding buffs). An important point to remember also is our lack of casting buffs. Unfortunately magic is not something that nurgle dominates.

I never implied it was a strong casting value, simply that it was not likely to fail as you said. I just wanted to correct a common misconception in case anyone took it as read. 7 is a common value in Nurgle abilities. :)

People struggle with probability for the outcome of more than 1 dice and I think an understanding of it can be helpful to weighing the actual value of a spell, command ability or warscroll trait. I wouldn't take plague squall over the other available lore spells either - but it's important to understand why and not just copy "the meta" blindly imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

I never implied it was a strong casting value, simply that it was not likely to fail as you said. I just wanted to correct a common misconception in case anyone took it as read. 7 is a common value in Nurgle abilities. :)

People struggle with probability for the outcome of more than 1 dice and I think an understanding of it can be helpful to weighing the actual value of a spell, command ability or warscroll trait. I wouldn't take plague squall over the other available lore spells either - but it's important to understand why and not just copy "the meta" blindly imo.

I do appreciate the correction, thank you.

If I’m honest I try not to rely too much on averages because every dice roll is unique. 

I agree, understanding the whys js important. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Bloab and rotigus casting it in turn 4?? It’s a mortal spell and can be cast once a turn. Think you may be a bit confused. If what you mean is you’ve cast it alongside Bloab and rotigus signiature spell, that’s not a great evidence base, because the two other spells you’re talking about can easily do 8 wounds without squall. 

In my exp I’ve seen it do very little. 6’s on 7 dice is statistically poor. Plus the casting value of 7 means it’s gonna fail more than it goes off, and that’s not even taking unbinding into account. 

Like I said, in the dozen games I’ve tested it, it’s done nothing.  Although I’ve heard it be ok for some people, I think it’s a waste of a spell (compared to nurgle lore and realm spell options). 

Sorry I dont play nurgle I played against nurgle. Over 4 turns casting every turn it did about 8 wounds.

Plague squall can be usefull in combination with rotigus and our wheel. Sometimes its exactly the last 1 or 2 dmg you need to kill the enemy support hero.

Sadly like mentioned before Magic is not the strong side of nurgle in the current meta but at least i would place us upper midfield in the Magic game which isnt that bad ;)

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Sorry I dont play nurgle I played against nurgle. Over 4 turns casting every turn it did about 8 wounds.

@Saxon

That’s absolutely incredible. 

@Zplash I’m surprised if it does 1. But I’m pleased for you if it does helps you to kill off a hero.

It appears that my experience is very different from you guys. Fair enough though, everyone has their own experiences. But my own personal judgement is already made :) 

26 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Plague squall can be usefull in combination with rotigus and our wheel. Sometimes its exactly the last 1 or 2 dmg you need to kill the enemy support hero.

Sadly like mentioned before Magic is not the strong side of nurgle in the current meta but at least i would place us upper midfield in the Magic game which isnt that bad ;)

I play freeguild and nurgle magic + cycle of corruption and trees do enough damage to ruin my to hit bonuses!

If you want to do well as nurgle play on big boards with little terrain to hide units. The unlimited range of those spells can be horrible if you roll well.

Hey guys I'm making a Maggotkin army with STD mini's.  I'm using  warscroll builder but it will not allow me to add in a Nurgle Warlord trait or Nurgle spell.  The tournament I'm going to needs EVERYTHING to be printed out on my list.  I don't have any of the paid apps and can only use  wars warscroll builder.   How do I add these options in?  Thanks!

Allegiance: Nurgle

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)

- General

- Mount: Steed

- Runestaff

- Artefact: Ignax's Scales

- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Exalted Hero Of Chaos (80)

Battleline

20 x Chaos Marauders (120)

- Axes & Shields

30 x Chaos Warriors (480)

- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units

5 x Chaos Knights (160)

- Ensorcelled Weapons

Total: 1000 / 1000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 200

Wounds: 105

Edited by cplhicks

On 11/19/2018 at 7:41 AM, peasant said:

yesterday I played 3 games with GUO with ethereal amulet plus breathe and It was a blast won 2 games and lost 1 (but it was because the time we stpped at T2). And won best painted army

IMG_20181118_144315.jpg

Looks like a beautiful army! Could we get some close up pics?

Edited by Easytyger

Hey, what's good with Maggotkin? I recently got some Blades of Khorne and I think my friend is considering starting Maggotkin. What units/battalions are seeing a lot of action and is there anything to avoid or that's a must have? Are army lists typically demonic, mortal, mixed, or is there a variety? 

I want to paint a fun Nurgle list to the top of my skills, and I thought of the tallyband of Nurgle; See, one great Unclean One (combat configuration) with ethereal amulet and a Slopitty Bilepiper with the Witherstave I feel it would require a lot of attention to take it down!!

My list so far something like that

LEADERS

Great Unclean One (340) -

General - Command Trait : Pestilent Breath

- Plaue Flail & Massive Bilesword - Artefact : Ethereal Amulet

- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence

Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (100)

- Artefact : The Witherstave

UNITS

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

3 x Plague Drones (200)

BATTALIONS

Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

TOTAL: 1220/1250

Edited by peasant

9 hours ago, peasant said:

I want to paint a fun Nurgle list to the top of my skills, and I thought of the tallyband of Nurgle; See, one great Unclean One (combat configuration) with ethereal amulet and a Slopitty Bilepiper with the Witherstave I feel it would require a lot of attention to take it down!!

My list so far something like that

LEADERS

Great Unclean One (340) -

General - Command Trait : Pestilent Breath

- Plaue Flail & Massive Bilesword - Artefact : Ethereal Amulet

- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence

Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (100)

- Artefact : The Witherstave

UNITS

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

3 x Plague Drones (200)

BATTALIONS

Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

TOTAL: 1220/1250

10 men units melt away like butter in the sun. You won't be able to get anything worthy out of your battalion's healing. 

In addition I feel that you severly lack damage output. Played against some Tzeentch Daemons a couple weeks back and they drowned me in Horrors. Couldn't reach their highly mobile heroes, which is another drawback of your list. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hannibal said:

10 men units melt away like butter in the sun. You won't be able to get anything worthy out of your battalion's healing. 

In addition I feel that you severly lack damage output. Played against some Tzeentch Daemons a couple weeks back and they drowned me in Horrors. Couldn't reach their highly mobile heroes, which is another drawback of your list. 

ooh so sad our battallions and battlelines are so.expensive. 10 man units are not good enough. Maybe in next ghb 19 we get some discounts, Ill paint them anyway, bur keep using my mortals