AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I Have an incoming 1250 points tournament, Im thinking of bringing this shooty list. Plan is get early Epidemius tally with Nurgle-marked Ungor raiders, wheel and plague squall. What do you think guys?

Allegiance: Nurgle - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS

Beastlord (90) - Artefact : Sword of Judgement

Sorcerer (120) - General - Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing - Artefact : Muttergrub - Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall

Epidemius Tallyman of Nurgle (200)

UNITS

5 x Centigors (80)

10 x Ungor Raiders (80)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

10 x Ungor Raiders (80)

10 x Ungor Raiders (80)

BATTALIONS

Pestilent Throng (200) TOTAL: 1250/1250

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

WOUNDS: 98

3 hours ago, peasant said:

Im struggling my brains to find an alternative to the harbinger of decay, Ive seen a reikenor (nighthaunt milounted character.that look well).

Any suggestions of a mounted character that could easily converted?

I´ve converted one knight from a unit of Varanguard. Gave him a spare helmet and scythe from the blightking box and a tentacle arm from the Blightlord Kit. Sorry for bad photo but I really do like the model.

2CDD157D-AE83-4B1E-8FE4-B652E5858271.JPG

ABA243E5-C9DB-4D61-A8DF-7472A1C66CC8.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Primes said:

I´ve converted one knight from a unit of Varanguard. Gave him a spare helmet and scythe from the blightking box and a tentacle arm from the Blightlord Kit. Sorry for bad photo but I really do like the model.

2CDD157D-AE83-4B1E-8FE4-B652E5858271.JPG

ABA243E5-C9DB-4D61-A8DF-7472A1C66CC8.JPG

thanks Ive never imagined using a varanguard horse. Your conversion is incredible!

2 hours ago, peasant said:

Am I missing something with the verminlord  corruptor? 10 attacks, 14W, a competent wizardand commander for only 220 pts? How can it be equal in points than a lord of afflictions? give him a sword of judgement and kill every hero or monster in game!

I think the original point of the verminlord was 10 weak attacks, but yea then Realm Artifacts came in and made multi attack single weapons real good. Plus he is still a daemon so can take advantage of daemon spells and daemon traits if he was a general.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, peasant said:

Im struggling my brains to find an alternative to the harbinger of decay, Ive seen a reikenor (nighthaunt milounted character.that look well).

It's way down my list,  but eventually my final Pusgoyle fly will have its wings shredded,  abdomen cracked,  and pull itself along with its front legs. 

Hello guys,

Papa Nurgle has given his love my way. I have played KO and Ironjawz as my previous armies, but so far I own these Maggotkin units:

Heroes

• Harbinger of Decay
  • Lord of Plagues
  • Lord of Blights
  • Festus
  • Chaos Sorcerer Lord
  • Darkoath War Queen

Battle line

• x10 Chaos Warriors
  • x15 Blight Kings

Other Units

• x6 Chaos Spawn
  • x5 Knights
  • x1 Gorebeast Chariot
  • x1 Chaos Warshrine

Any suggestions on how to build up my army? I was going to get blight cyst rolling and from there I wasn't sure. I still don't know any gnarlmaws so that'll probably be my next purchase. I thought a good purchase would be Nurgle start collecting?

Thank you friends!

6 minutes ago, Sneeto said:

Hello guys,

Papa Nurgle has given his love my way. I have played KO and Ironjawz as my previous armies, but so far I own these Maggotkin units:

Heroes

• Harbinger of Decay
  • Lord of Plagues
  • Lord of Blights
  • Festus
  • Chaos Sorcerer Lord
  • Darkoath War Queen

Battle line

• x10 Chaos Warriors
  • x15 Blight Kings

Other Units

• x6 Chaos Spawn
  • x5 Knights
  • x1 Gorebeast Chariot
  • x1 Chaos Warshrine

Any suggestions on how to build up my army? I was going to get blight cyst rolling and from there I wasn't sure. I still don't know any gnarlmaws so that'll probably be my next purchase. I thought a good purchase would be Nurgle start collecting?

Thank you friends!

So far you have a mortal army. Mortals and Daemons don't synergize well.   3/4 units in the SC box aren't good, and the Plaguebearers are only good in groups of 30.  So no, a SC box would  not be ideal .   Get 5x more blightkings   and whatever heroes you fancy. (Mortal Heroes.  Maybe a GUO)

18 hours ago, sorokyl said:

So far you have a mortal army. Mortals and Daemons don't synergize well.   3/4 units in the SC box aren't good, and the Plaguebearers are only good in groups of 30.  So no, a SC box would  not be ideal .   Get 5x more blightkings   and whatever heroes you fancy. (Mortal Heroes.  Maybe a GUO)

I strongly disagree with the majority of these statements. First, the only unit in the start collecting box that likely will never be considered for play is nurglings. The rest of the units range between good(poxbringer/drones) to amazing(plaguebearers). Second, the majority of daemon units can function fine without support, especially plaguebearers, so they are fine to support a army that is predominately mortal. As a bonus, drones are one of the better recipients for Blades of Putrefaction, which is a mortal spell. If you choose to go this route you will probably want to invest in 2 SC boxes and couple extra boxes of plaguebearers to build a 30 man unit plus some for summoning.

Nurgle has a wide range of good units to make for a variety of builds. Generally a GUO is all you really need to tie the disparate elements together into a cohesive army. Id only suggest builds like blightcyst or plague cyst if you really love Blightkings, as they encourage you to spam them almost exclusively. Regardless of what you choose, you will want some plaguebearers to summon. 

Edited by Pangu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pangu said:

I strongly disagree with the majority of these statements. First, the only unit in the start collecting box that likely will never be considered for play is nurglings. The rest of the units range between good(poxbringer/drones) to amazing(plaguebearers). 

Nurglings are an excellent unit to summon onto a objective. The whole SC box is great really. It's just the poxbringer is not used in net-lists generally, but it's a decent choice for cheap deamon spell casting.

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Nurglings are an excellent unit to summon onto a objective. The whole SC box is great really. It's just the poxbringer is not used in net-lists generally, but it's a decent choice for cheap deamon spell casting. 

I like poxbringers to hold  a whitherstave when I take a 2nd artefact (and one GUO). The fact they are casters and trigger locii bonuses is also pretty good imo.

• Like 1

I'm a slow painter and must play painted. That means I've got no crazy netlist but just 90% of a fun list I planned and bought when Maggotkin released in ~January :)

Taking it to Stockholm's biggest tournament to date (maybe Swedens!) in a couple of weeks:

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Battalions
Fecund Rituculturalists (180)

Endless Spells
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

8 hours ago, Sneeto said:

Thanks for the heads up, with the army I have thus far would a GUO or a Glottkin be a better purchase for a big unit? 

Far from exhaustive here but I’d say that a GUO is a good all-round bet as he is tough to take down and a solid spell caster who can dish out melee damage too. Plus that model is off the scale amazing. 

The Glottkin is generally but not always taken in mortal lists, his unique spells of +1 wound on models in a unit and his +1 attack on a unit command ability are awesome. He has big wounds but can be focus fired down in a turn or two so beware.  

You seem to be running mortals so I guess Da Glott but the model isn’t to everyone’s taste. 

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Far from exhaustive here but I’d say that a GUO is a good all-round bet as he is tough to take down and a solid spell caster who can dish out melee damage too. Plus that model is off the scale amazing. 

The Glottkin is generally but not always taken in mortal lists, his unique spells of +1 wound on models in a unit and his +1 attack on a unit command ability are awesome. He has big wounds but can be focus fired down in a turn or two so beware.  

You seem to be running mortals so I guess Da Glott but the model isn’t to everyone’s taste. 

I'd diverge slightly- the GUO is a terrible melee damage dealer. If you take him with a sword, you're missing out on the bell (the biggest reason to take  GUO) and if you take the flail for damage you miss on the bileblade- what makes the GUO the best spellcaster for Nurgle. Otherwise, i'm with you on GUO!

I think Glottkin is undervalued by Nurgle players. For 80pts more you get a far better command ability, the best nurgle spell there is (Except perhaps Rotigus' spell) and way better damage output if you do have him in combat. Plus the shooting attack, though hard to get off, is very powerful. Plus Horrific Opponent for -1 bravery. Major issues are no way to boost magic casting, only 1 dispel, and no disgusting resilience means he can't last as long as a GUO. 

I have both- when I take GUO I can get him close to the action and usually get more spells off. With Glottkin, i usually keep him a bit further back as he's less resilient, but his spell can make 30 plaguebearers outlast almost anything! Plus if you can get him into combat at full health, he's pretty decent. 

15 hours ago, Pangu said:

I strongly disagree with the majority of these statements. First, the only unit in the start collecting box that likely will never be considered for play is nurglings. The rest of the units range between good(poxbringer/drones) to amazing(plaguebearers). Second, the majority of daemon units can function fine without support, especially plaguebearers, so they are fine to support a army that is predominately mortal. As a bonus, drones are one of the better recipients for Blades of Putrefaction, which is a mortal spell. If you choose to go this route you will probably want to invest in 2 SC boxes and couple extra boxes of plaguebearers to build a 30 man unit plus some for summoning.

Nurgle has a wide range of good units to make for a variety of builds. Generally a GUO is all you really need to tie the disparate elements together into a cohesive army. Id only suggest builds like blightcyst or plague cyst if you really love Blightkings, as they encourage you to spam them almost exclusively. Regardless of what you choose, you will want some plaguebearers to summon. 

please tell me How to use plagebearers properly I really love them but they never work 4 me

19 minutes ago, peasant said:

mmm it can work fine as you say and buff with GUO's commanf

Though keep in mind PBs don't really kill, thats the Drones or Mortals job.

I think one trap about PBs is to over-invest into them, theres a reason why people don't usually field the Spoilpox Scrivener (a model that only benefits PB units, not heroes or drones).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Though keep in mind PBs don't really kill, thats the Drones or Mortals job.

I think one trap about PBs is to over-invest into them, theres a reason why people don't usually field the Spoilpox Scrivener (a model that only benefits PB units, not heroes or drones).

I think it's because most things you might invest in offensively buffing PBs buff other units better. And defensively buffing PBs is almost unnecessary.

To top it off, there's not much that can specifically make PBs better, they're just great based on their warscroll (at 30).

I'm trying riticulturalists for the hit bonus on all in the battalion in case I want to throw blades on the PBs instead of drones (of which I've only painted 3).

In a similar vein, I'd love to try multiple units of 10xpbs. I'd like for them to be more than just a summoning option. It'd improve my opinion of Tallyband for instance.

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

I'd diverge slightly- the GUO is a terrible melee damage dealer. If you take him with a sword, you're missing out on the bell (the biggest reason to take  GUO) and if you take the flail for damage you miss on the bileblade- what makes the GUO the best spellcaster for Nurgle. Otherwise, i'm with you on GUO!

I think Glottkin is undervalued by Nurgle players. For 80pts more you get a far better command ability, the best nurgle spell there is (Except perhaps Rotigus' spell) and way better damage output if you do have him in combat. Plus the shooting attack, though hard to get off, is very powerful. Plus Horrific Opponent for -1 bravery. Major issues are no way to boost magic casting, only 1 dispel, and no disgusting resilience means he can't last as long as a GUO. 

I have both- when I take GUO I can get him close to the action and usually get more spells off. With Glottkin, i usually keep him a bit further back as he's less resilient, but his spell can make 30 plaguebearers outlast almost anything! Plus if you can get him into combat at full health, he's pretty decent. 

Yeah, it obviously depends on how you equip your GUO, if you had 3 I guess you’d have one with the bell and blade and then another with the stabby stuff. That movement buff is clutch. 

Think someone mentioned earlier about him having Blades of Putrefaction too as a spell if you want it for The Glottkin, all his spells and abilities combined can make 40 Plague Monks a terrifying prospect for an opponent, even more so with a LoB command ability on top. 

18 hours ago, Sneeto said:

Thanks for the heads up, with the army I have thus far would a GUO or a Glottkin be a better purchase for a big unit? 

The Glottkin wants to support an army with larger size units. His +wound spell is best on larger model count units like maruaders, plaguebearers or plague monks. His command ability is also better on those units or units with lots of melee weapon profiles like plague drones.

The GUO on the otherhand has debuff spells like favoured poxes which benifits any unit. His movement buff is also great for supporting any unit. His command ability only supports daemon units though, so generally you will want at least one unit of plaguebearers or drones to take advatage of it.

Looking at your current selection of models, which is mostly blightkings + mortal heroes, you have 3 good paths for growing your army; GUO + daemon units, Glottkin + a horde unit, or more blightkings to build one of the Cysts.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:19 AM, peasant said:

Made from plaugeclaw catapult 

20181109_000620.jpg

• Like 1