AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You need blades of putrefaction in this list and the marauders natural +1 to hit. So festus to sit behind/near archaeon for more healing and tossing out a blades on one of the units. 

Wish I could but the complete battleshock immunity (and -2/-2 to hit) plus 5+ FNP isn’t awful on 120 5+ save bodies.

Also the PTWB can’t be nurgle (although I have a dream where the beastmen FAQ changes this, as some have hinted it might)

@Luke1705

Your list looks pretty solid and competitive to me. I think you've picked out an extremely pure version of a tried-and-true archaon list. It's simple and elegant. It's super defensive, but I also think you will kill plenty of stuff just by sheer number of dice. My initial instinct is to want more toys in the army, but it's probably best the way it is now.

1 hour ago, Luke1705 said:

Wish I could but the complete battleshock immunity (and -2/-2 to hit) plus 5+ FNP isn’t awful on 120 5+ save bodies.

Also the PTWB can’t be nurgle (although I have a dream where the beastmen FAQ changes this, as some have hinted it might)

DRAT! you are right! Where are you getting complete battleshock immunity from? Good source of battleshock immunity is Kazyk the befowled from Tamurkhans horde. Command is 14" BUBBLE of inspiring presence. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

18 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Then I think the kazyk would be a better investment, and he could use lord of war on blightkings. Is that still a chance at +1 to hit?

Except Kazyk is 14" wholly within whereas the crown of conquest is 6" within. And he doesn't have any blightkings, only big units of marauders.

The only things I don't like of that list are 2 :

- if OPPO has something that can bring down archaon (or slow him, or debuff, or tarpit him) all the army collapse, no damage on table eccept him

- only archaon has a fast movement, and he is the only one that kill things, on many "maps" I am afraid only marauders don't have any chance, they can be easily tarpitted by something similar with a save of 4 or a reroll to save (without rend and mortals) 

Edited by calcysimon

3 hours ago, calcysimon said:

The only things I don't like of that list are 2 :

- if OPPO has something that can bring down archaon (or slow him, or debuff, or tarpit him) all the army collapse, no damage on table eccept him

- only archaon has a fast movement, and he is the only one that kill things, on many "maps" I am afraid only marauders don't have any chance, they can be easily tarpitted by something similar with a save of 4 or a reroll to save (without rend and mortals) 

This list does throw some buckets of dice at you, but generally has no offense whatsoever and just tries to out-durability you and have more bodies for the entire game. Outside of DOK that hit on 3’s (so the -2 to hit isn’t as devastating) I think this is doable. Its goal isn’t to be fast. Even Archaon really isn’t that offensive. His job is just to force multiply. To be fair, though, unless someone is going to shoot him, he’s pretty durable at -1 to hit with a 5+ FNP vs mortals (not to mention his own eye of sheerian and 4+ spell negation) and the 5+ FNP that the harbinger of decay gives him

7 hours ago, Domowoj said:

@Luke1705

Your list looks pretty solid and competitive to me. I think you've picked out an extremely pure version of a tried-and-true archaon list. It's simple and elegant. It's super defensive, but I also think you will kill plenty of stuff just by sheer number of dice. My initial instinct is to want more toys in the army, but it's probably best the way it is now.

Yeah I saw the old list that Darren Watson used to run. RIP when it could be nurgle and have the witherstave and blades of putrefaction ??? I still have a dream that we can do it again some day

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

That's why I would run it as a nurgle army, get access to blades of putrefaction and really do some damage. Somehow get glottkin in there to to double all those attacks!

I play him in my Archaon version but tbh, due to a lack of casting bonuses for Nurgle, he is unreliable at best. 

The bonus attack is nice but for less points you get another LoBlights + Marauders combo to just swarm the board and play for objectives.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I lime to play AOS "lorelike" and do not have to be supercompetetive. Ofc when i would play an official tournament i would try to squeeze out the max to be the most efficient. So i was lookin to make a pure Nurgle Daemon army, and it doesnt have to be the best army, but i also dont want to loose all the time.

I made the following list and the idea is big blobs of plaguebeares that are buffed by the GUO and scrivener and Horti and a menagerie to spam feculants to get me contagion points so i can summon, summon, summon..

What do you think?

PureNurgleDaemon.pdf

Good Luck with them  but Plague Bearers are Absolute Garbage, I ve just come from a Game against SCE, amd Got tabled at T2. Got 20 plague Bearers with Scrivener and made 0 casualTies. In The Other Hand SCE with ballistas, ordinator, evocators deleted effortlessly 2 Units of kings, 1 of drones and lord of plagues  so I had to concede Because I Only made 1 wound to his Whole List.

I dont Know of Its me That im Very Bad Player but I Never made It to The T5.

Edited by peasant

@Fluxlord  

I would tend to agree with Peasant that Plague bearers are rubbish unless you take max units of 30. I like your concept, but I feel like the Menagerie battalion is subpar for two reasons.

1) The abilities don't seem exceptional.

2) You need to take three beasts.

Maybe I'm wrong about these.  I've never used the battalion, nor have I used the beasts. They all seem overpriced for what they do. I think including Horticulous (allowing you to start with 2 trees) is enough of an edge for summoning without spending the extra 540(!) points on three beasts and the battalion. That said, do you have a specific summoning plan?

Have you thought about a Tallyband with Horticulous tagging along? I think you could swap the [Three Beasts + Menagerie] for [30 Plaguebearers + Tallyband].

Edited by Domowoj

34 minutes ago, Domowoj said:

@Fluxlord  

I would tend to agree with Peasant that Plague bearers are rubbish unless you take max units of 30. I like your concept, but I feel like the Menagerie battalion is subpar for two reasons.

1) The abilities don't seem exceptional.

2) You need to take three beasts.

Maybe I'm wrong about these.  I've never used the battalion, nor have I used the beasts. They all seem overpriced for what they do. I think including Horticulous (allowing you to start with 2 trees) is enough of an edge for summoning without spending the extra 540(!) points on three beasts and the battalion. That said, do you have a specific summoning plan?

Have you thought about a Tallyband with Horticulous tagging along? I think you could swap the [Three Beasts + Menagerie] for [30 Plaguebearers + Tallyband].

Thx for the input, peasant also, but no, i didnt think it completely true yet. This my first idea. About summoning i imagened drones ad/or plaguebearers. But i have to say,  i also have bad experience with the plaguebearers, especially in small groups. 

Maybe it’s just impossible to be somewhat competetive with a complete nurgle daemon list.

11 hours ago, Domowoj said:

How many Feculent Gnarlmaws are you hoping to put on the table? How many contagion points would you spend on your first summon? And your second summon?

I have absolutely no idea of any tactics yet, i was actually hoping someone had done something similar already and had some advice. Maybe i should focus on a small army first, 1000 points and see how it goes. slowly build up tryin to gain some experience playin completely daemon. ( As i said, it's just for fun, i have absolutely not the intention to try and make it competetive, just dont want to loose all the time)

Maybe a GUO and 2 units of 30 PB (980 points) and just slowly spread out over the battlefield.... and summon more PB and/or nurglings...

(Hmm this might be fun actually!)

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

I have absolutely no idea of any tactics yet, i was actually hoping someone had done something similar already and had some advice. Maybe i should focus on a small army first, 1000 points and see how it goes. slowly build up tryin to gain some experience playin completely daemon. ( As i said, it's just for fun, i have absolutely not the intention to try and make it competetive, just dont want to loose all the time)

Maybe a GUO and 2 units of 30 PB (980 points) and just slowly spread out over the battlefield.... and summon more PB and/or nurglings...

(Hmm this might be fun actually!)

Anywhere on this forums I read about a Nurgle Demon army consisting of

Rotigus

2x GUO

- thrifold befoulment battalion

3x 10 Plaguebearers

rest of points in one unit of Drones

did a good showing at some tournament. Do not know any specifics.

I think (and this is all theory because I´m still painting my army) the key components of some Nurgle Daemon lists are

GUO with bell to enhance the speed. Give him that comand trait that allows to choose the effect on the Nurgle wheel once per game. If you start, you can almost alpha strike if you use all your movement enhancing abilities.

30 Plaguebearers because they are hard to remove.

Plague Drones as your heavy hitters. Work well as targets for GUOs command ability.

Nurglings if you like to get as many contagion points as possible, because they can be deployed anywhere in your opponents half of the board.

As 1000k starter maybe

GUO

2x 10 Plaguebearers

6 Drones?

Can maggotkin still take plauemonks and maintain their allegiance abilities?

I'm tied between taking a hoard of marauders or plaguemonks. The minis look so much better and nurgle, but the marauders look more effective in game.

Any advice on which to take and why would be greatly appriciated :)

Edited by ReAnimate Studios
Bad grammar

3 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Can maggotkin still take plauemonks and maintain their allegiance abilities?

I'm tied between taking a hoard of marauders or plaguemonks. The minis look so much better and nurgle, but the marauders look more effective in game.

Any advice on which to take and why would be greatly appriciated :)

You can use Plaguemonks in a Nurgle Army (using the Nurgle Allegiance Abilities) because they have the NURGLE-Keyword, but keep in mind, that Plaguemonks aren't battleline in a Nurgle Army.

• Like 1