AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

6 hours ago, Kevin K said:

It looks like you could do something like:

Poxbringer

30 Plaguebearers

5 Blightkings

6 Plague Drones

You could also drop one of the drones to get a Lord of Plagues and a command point.

I thought about:

1 poxbringer

10x plaguebearers

1 Lord of plague

5x blightkings

3x plague drone

3x plague drones/ Slimux

Or

1 Lord of plague

5x blightkings

1 poxbringer

20x plaguebearers

10x plaguebearers

3x plague drones

Why dont you try them all out?! 

All those options have their own pros and cons, i guess i woukd opt for an army with the poxbringer, but im a sucker for magic. (Oh they all have the poxbringer...lol) Anyhow, big blob battlelines can save the day.

?

Edited by Fluxlord

After ALOT of to-ing and fro-ing I think I've decided on the following list. This will be my painting goal, for the next 12 months as I don't get too much time to paint these days.

With a bit of luck I will be able to finish it sooner. But 12 months for me is a realistic target ?

Anything you more experienced players would recommend me changing would be greatly appreciated!

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- General
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 167

Idea with the list is the plague bearers hold any main objective needed or tarpit enemy units (especially after being buffed by the big guy) Nurglings are to get additional contagion points or act as a road block.  Gutrot and a unit of kings will flank to disrupt enemy or capture objectives and the other units of kings to attack where needed. Drones will be deployed to target characters and small units that the can easily roll over.

As mentioned previously any help would be greatly appreciated :)

can't wait to start painting and playing now!

2 hours ago, Siepa said:

I thought about:

1 poxbringer

10x plaguebearers

1 Lord of plague

5x blightkings

3x plague drone

3x plague drones/ Slimux

Or

1 Lord of plague

5x blightkings

1 poxbringer

20x plaguebearers

10x plaguebearers

3x plague drones

Those all will  work fine.  

My experience is that plaguebearers at 30 are amazing for stoping things.  At 10 they are a bit overpriced and don't do a whole lot.

Drones are similar.  For some reason, three never seems like they can kill anything but 6 is overwhelming attacks.

The fun thing about 1000 point games though is that nobody will be super optimized so you could probably do well with any of them.  Your lists have the advantage of more elements to do things with.

Just keep the Blightkings safe until they can counter charge.  They are really the only thing that can kill well and you'll want all of their attacks.

One fun thing about Nurgle right now is that there are a lot of good ways to play it.  I keep changing my lists up.

43 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

After ALOT of to-ing and fro-ing I think I've decided on the following list. This will be my painting goal, for the next 12 months as I don't get too much time to paint these days.

With a bit of luck I will be able to finish it sooner. But 12 months for me is a realistic target ?

Anything you more experienced players would recommend me changing would be greatly appreciated!

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- General
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 167

Idea with the list is the plague bearers hold any main objective needed or tarpit enemy units (especially after being buffed by the big guy) Nurglings are to get additional contagion points or act as a road block.  Gutrot and a unit of kings will flank to disrupt enemy or capture objectives and the other units of kings to attack where needed. Drones will be deployed to target characters and small units that the can easily roll over.

As mentioned previously any help would be greatly appreciated :)

can't wait to start painting and playing now!

Honestly I would choose a Lord of Blights over Gutrot since you have the 30 plaguebearers.

This would also give you the option to drop the plague drones and use Blight Cyst when you feel like it.

Edited by Centurio

36 minutes ago, Centurio said:

Honestly I would choose a Lord of Blights over Gutrot since you have the 30 plaguebearers.

This would also give you the option to drop the plague drones and use Blight Cyst when you feel like it.

@ReAnimate Studios I wouldn't drop Gutrot. But Centurio has a good point. I would drop the Nurglings and add a Lord of Blights. You should still paint the Nurglings. I think you should also invest in buying and/or converting 40 marauders and a Harbinger of Decay for some options.

Edit: ^because you will be summoning the nurglings. Don't forget to paint a Feculent Gnarlmaw.

1 hour ago, Kevin K said:

Drones are similar.  For some reason, three never seems like they can kill anything but 6 is overwhelming attacks.

I agree with this. I sometimes observe comments along the lines of "6 drones is wasteful because you can't fit all of them into combat." I have never had trouble fitting (at least five drones every time, if not 6) them after a pile-in.

Here are a couple tips for drone placement:

1. They can fly so don't be afraid to get creative with placement. If you have a short charge to make and a high charge roll, you can potentially fly some of the drones to the other side of the unit and either wrap around the side, or simply flank a 25mm base, back and front, (base-to-base-to-base) to stay in unit cohesion.

2. Charge two enemy units at once. A unit of 6 drones with blades of putrefaction and extra attacks from Locus and GUO/Glott can erase multiple units.

3. Even if you only get 4 or 5 in, it's still more attacks than if you only had 3 drones. This will also leave you flexibility to lose a drone or two without the unit immediately becoming disabled/worthless.

4. Intention during assembly. It may be too late for this for most of us, but if you assemble your miniatures with gameplay in mind, then you can glue wings and legs in a manner conducive to snugging-up your minis close to one another. Also, you could stagger your flying-base-stands vertically so some are raised slightly higher than others. Choosing to assemble your flies with Foul Mouthparts instead of Proboscises is going to allow you to probably get your flies in tighter with enemy models, but I would still choose the Probes for rule-of-cool. :D  

Edited by Domowoj
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Centurio said:

@ReAnimate Studios This is really sound advice. Alternatively, gutrot is just so fething good. Another option would be to keep the current list, drop the nurglings and add a harbinger of decay. You would lose extra command point, and have 2 REALLY good command abilities but it would let you choose which one is needed at the time. Expecting a big charge on your mortals? Morbid vigor.. or if your about the get stuck in with some blightkings.. using lords of nurgle for +1 each would be great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@ReAnimate Studios This is really sound advice. Alternatively, gutrot is just so fething good. Another option would be to keep the current list, drop the nurglings and add a harbinger of decay. You would lose extra command point, and have 2 REALLY good command abilities but it would let you choose which one is needed at the time. Expecting a big charge on your mortals? Morbid vigor.. or if your about the get stuck in with some blightkings.. using lords of nurgle for +1 each would be great!

You lost me here..... +1 what? Or do you mean RR1s?

Well thankfully I have 6 plague drones already. So I guess I can batch paint the lot together.

Only models I need to pick up are gutrot spume and then a lord of blight or harbinger of decay and I'm all good :)

Nurglings are already painted. I have 6 bases done and  a unit of 30 plague bearers plus a poxbringer. 

So it's only adding 5 models to my to paint list so I guess I can live with that if it opens up extra options!

Thanks for the advice guys :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevin K said:

There will be 4 games on this tournament:

Better part of valour, Starstrike, Battle of the pass, Total commitment,

If I take 6 drones I wont have enough unit to make assault in Better part of valour.

So i was lookin at this picture to get some inspiration while painting my blight kings, when suddenly i see those warriors in the back....

To my big surprise i see they’re chaos warriors, and now i have seen them in this picture i wants them too! Never liked them at first since i thought they looked weird, but now i have changed.

Does anyone have any tips for me with respect to some nurgly painting scheme, and what weps might be best to equip them with?

Thx in advance.

27D46D66-CE35-4137-8FC1-E44973B2CF19.jpeg

For them u can have some inspiration from the total war mode full of mortal units. 

I have painted mine with 2 color options, 1 is almost full rusted with green base armor, the others are painted with a black base and after with some green/rust/silver drybrushes. 

Personally I prefer the darker one, maybe add some nurgle rot coming out of helms/eyes fessures ecc

7 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

So i was lookin at this picture to get some inspiration while painting my blight kings, when suddenly i see those warriors in the back....

To my big surprise i see they’re chaos warriors, and now i have seen them in this picture i wants them too! Never liked them at first since i thought they looked weird, but now i have changed.

Does anyone have any tips for me with respect to some nurgly painting scheme, and what weps might be best to equip them with?

Thx in advance.

27D46D66-CE35-4137-8FC1-E44973B2CF19.jpeg

Warriors always with shield. the 5+ ward against mortals is fantastic if you pair them with a Harbinger

7 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

Warriors always with shield. the 5+ ward against mortals is fantastic if you pair them with a Harbinger

Agreed. I would only choose the two-handed chaos greatblades if I were playing StD or PTWB and taking a large unit to use as a blender. But we have better choices for killing things. In my experience, chaos warriors can't kill anything so you might as well make them a defensive choice. The best things they have going for them are: two wounds each; min unit is our cheapest battleline option. With a unit of 5, I would prefer hand weapon and shield. If you are planning on taking 10+ in a unit, I would go with halberd and shield so they can reach over each other easily in combat.  My models are equipped halberds+shields.

• Like 1

I think painting them a lot like you would with rotbringer mortal armor should be fine, unless you haven't painted blightking armor. You can go from dark rusted/putrid green, to more flat bright green of "fresh" warriors.

cj0pv042fhba.jpg

464789_md-Nurgle%20Chaos%20Warriors.JPG

720f87fc38d9e09e9f86b4b1d0c725fe.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg.41a105c08682c62cf1ad0ffc01b

Heck I quite like this non standard blue scheme (though could accidentally think they're tzeentch from a distance)

1-DSC_1011.JPG

What do folks think of a bit of fecund riticulturalism?

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Horticulous Slimux (220)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Battalions
Fecund Rituculturalists (180)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

9 hours ago, LordRogalDorn said:

The Kairic Acolytes are a lot bigger than marauders and even on 32mm bases instead of 25mm bases. I'm sure you can make it work, just be ready for there to be a fairly large size difference. Modifying 40k Nurgle poxwalkers is easier than using the Kairic Acolytes. 

Ok I'll have a look at those instead :)

Only thing is I will need to find 40 hand weapons (axes)  and shields?

5 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Ok I'll have a look at those instead :)

Only thing is I will need to find 40 hand weapons (axes)  and shields?

The poxwalkers have crude hand weapons (some wrenches with spikes wired to them, inoperable guns with axes tied to them, scythes, axes and hammers) so they work perfectly. I used shields from the skeleton kit as they are very old and degraded looking. Be sure to remove the chem tanks and maybe the firearm bits from some of them. That was the one requirement by the TOs for them to be allowed at adepticon this year.  

Do you all equip marauders with axes and shields?

I have mine equipped with flails because Rule of Cool.  But as I understand it, the difference in statistical performance is negligible, and even maybe in favor of flails when their Barbaric Horde buff is active.  Am I mistaken?

I think axes edge out flails a bit, but I think it is pretty negligible.

It isn't like say Sequitors with their other weapon option gaining a flat out additional attack thus increasing maximum damage output.

And hey could be worse, could have like +100 old marauders with great weapons that now probably have to be count as flails or something!

hey guys.  The 2017 GHB was very clear that you could not add models to a unit past the original size of that unit.  The 2018GHB has very short rules for matched play, and this is not there. It's not in the core rules either. 

Some rules, like Nagash's deathly invocation, return slain models to a unit.  The Plaguebearer icon bearer however, just "adds" models to the unit.  So, in AoS 2.0, can I exceed the starting model count for a unit?  Does it matter for a unit at 10 vs a max unit of 30? 

If not, if you can point me to the rule, errata, or Q/A please