Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

For those looking for Nurgle themed Marauders, the Nurgle themed Bloodbowl team may be useful for conversion parts.

Or perhaps the new kill team stuff (though I don’t anticipate that being cost-effective). Personally, I like the idea of converting up 40k Poxwalkers. Doesn’t take too much doing

2 hours ago, Domowoj said:

I like the list, Luke! It's an interesting idea for a strong basic strategy; 80 hard-to-move bodies for objective-grabbing. I am eager to hear how it performs. Can you find room for another 40 marauders in there? :D

20 points short sadly, even if I drop the warriors, geminids, and extra command point (I wouldn’t - want a more backfield unit, and geminids making an enemy unit -3 to hit is just silly. Or taking away an attack or two per model? Sign me up).

Lastly, adding a third brick of 40 marauders would be functionally not all that useful. Nearly impossible to keep a third unit in range of the harbinger while also being useful and not blocked off by one of the other units.

7 hours ago, Domowoj said:

I like the list, Luke! It's an interesting idea for a strong basic strategy; 80 hard-to-move bodies for objective-grabbing. I am eager to hear how it performs. Can you find room for another 40 marauders in there? :D

It's an alternation of the 3rd place from BLACKOUT.

The original list can be seen here: 

By biggest gripe with @Luke1705's version is not making Archaon the general for one of the mediocre at best chaos command traits. Therefore not being able to use the excess command points (which might run out by turn 3) for the generic command abilities. 

Furthermore, I have the feeling that the lack of casters was deliberate and adding an endless spell and another caster might weaken the concept.

10 hours ago, Xasz said:

It's an alternation of the 3rd place from BLACKOUT.

The original list can be seen here: 

By biggest gripe with @Luke1705's version is not making Archaon the general for one of the mediocre at best chaos command traits. Therefore not being able to use the excess command points (which might run out by turn 3) for the generic command abilities. 

Furthermore, I have the feeling that the lack of casters was deliberate and adding an endless spell and another caster might weaken the concept.

Oh no the not making Archaon the general was just a mistake. Edit: We bleep the word for flatulence? Archaon is the general. The lack of casters was probably deliberate in the original list (and why I took the Glottkin out in particular - he’s really only there for blades, which I’ve found to be decently unreliable. You’re targeting one cast out of 3 on average).

The goal is just to hopefully cast geminids and mystic shield from Archaon. It’s not game-breaking if I don’t, but it’s a nice bonus if I do

Edited by Luke1705

14 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

Or perhaps the new kill team stuff (though I don’t anticipate that being cost-effective). Personally, I like the idea of converting up 40k Poxwalkers. Doesn’t take too much doing

Yea the problem wit the upcoming Rogue Trader set is that half of them look like cyborgs. Be a nightmare to try to make sure it looks fitting for AoS (unless its a kharadron/skyre experiment gone wrong). But the non techy ones look like they'll fit right in.

Every once in a while, the phrase "chaos war mammoth" pops up here. I love the idea; the thing is centrepiece material and a conversion modelers dream and at the end of the day, it's just plain cool. It also comes with a fascinating warscroll and what seems on the surface to be a decent point cost. But is it really worth it?

320 points for 22 wounds, a 4+ save, 12" move (very fast!), some good rend attacks and some good mortal wound output. It also holds a bravery bomb, a little extra oomph against other monsters, and the keywords MORTAL NURGLE so it can be affected by Morbid Vigour.

320 points could instead buy you a unit of 30 plaguebearers or a unit of 10 blightkings (or two units of 5 if you prefer). Plaguebearers fill a different role on the table, so let's ignore them. 10 Blightkings, on the other hand, are a better comparison because the unit(s) get worse each time you lose a blight king and a war mammoth gets worse each time it loses 4 hit points. So 10 blightkings are going to have the same saves,  almost twice the amount of wounds, and a similar enough footprint. They will put out a similar amount of damage (against a 4+ save) but their damage gets much worse if debuffed -1 to hit. They are slower, however, they can hold objectives way better. They are battleline and can be used in several battalions (giving them rend, etc). And lastly, the effects of many of our buffs will get much better mileage on units with more bodies (fleshy abundance, blades of putrefaction, etc).

It seems obviously better to just take more blightkings or something else for those points (10 chaos knights?) than to take a mammoth. A mammoth is basically just cool. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Blight Kings aren't that slow.  Set the wheel to +2" move, be near a GUO with a bell for +3", spend an extra CP to run 7" (sonorous tocsin gives +1) and you are moving 16" on turn 1.  Slingshot off a feculant gnarlmaw to charge (at +1" from the sonorous tocsin).

15 minutes ago, Centurio said:

Blight Kings aren't that slow.  Set the wheel to +2" move, be near a GUO with a bell for +3", spend an extra CP to run 7" (sonorous tocsin gives +1) and you are moving 16" on turn 1.  Slingshot off a feculant gnarlmaw to charge (at +1" from the sonorous tocsin).

I understand all that, and don't forget Cogs. But I was comparing them to the mammoth. At 4" movement, they are slow relative to the rest of our army. Those are army-wide buffs (except for the tocsin), and what's 16" for a blightking is 23" for a mammoth.

Maybe a mammoth could find it's role to be an anti-monster missile that smashes an important target (Alarielle? Nagash?) potentially 1st turn. It would have to be a big-ticket monster to make it worth it. You'd maybe have to follow it with a hero who can summon a tree behind it. It could smash a monster and spend the rest of the turn (and hopefully more) holding up a section of enemy before falling dead on top of them.

• Like 1

True.   I'm not disputing that the war mammoth is cool.   But either one is capable of getting in on turn 1.  The blight kings are a little dicier though with the lower move.  I pulled off a first turn charge with 41 wounds of blight kings last game, with the Witherstave behind them,  and it was wonderful.  Dont forget the amount of space you can take up with that unit.  I tied up 75% of a khorne army for 2.5 turns (and killed most of them in the process).

• Like 1

Figured I’d post up the list I just played with at a local one day event. With a bit of luck I Finished 3rd with 3/3 wins against gore pilgrims, tomb kings and sacrosanct stormcast. So far the list has been really flexible, though I haven’t come close to wiping anyone out, it’s been great at objectives. Will probably end up swapping the LoP for a LoB in the future. 

220CBE25-42D3-493F-AE7B-CFA54140632B.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey guys, just started playing this game and last week i played a 1000 points match and lost against fyreslayers. (It was stupid, i totally forgot the BK re-roll your 6 hit thing rule....) Anyhow, my next game is goin to be a 2k battle and since i just started this whole age of sigmar hobby i can make the next list: (These are practically all the models i have apart for gutrot and some other daemons)

Glottkin (general)

harbinger

festus

sorcerer

lord of plagues

lord of blights

battleline

3 times 5 unit blightkings

1 unit 10 plaguebearers

and the blight cyst battalion will make this list 1940.

As i said it’s all i have at the moment and im in need of some advice. Anyone who can help me with some tips and tricks/abbilities and aretefacts for this army? Im playing against freeguild army and the mission is the relocation orb ghb2018 pg 61.

thx in advance!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Hey guys, just started playing this game and last week i played a 1000 points match and lost against fyreslayers. (It was stupid, i totally forgot the BK re-roll your 6 hit thing rule....) Anyhow, my next game is goin to be a 2k battle and since i just started this whole age of sigmar hobby i can make the next list: (These are practically all the models i have apart for gutrot and some other daemons)

Glottkin (general)

harbinger

festus

sorcerer

lord of plagues

lord of blights

battleline

3 times 5 unit blightkings

1 unit 10 plaguebearers

and the blight cyst battalion will make this list 1940.

As i said it’s all i have at the moment and im in need of some advice. Anyone who can help me with some tips and tricks/abbilities and aretefacts for this army? Im playing against freeguild army and the mission is the relocation orb ghb2018 pg 61.

thx in advance!

Just at a glance, I would recommend you use Gutrot in place of the Lord of Plagues to hopefully deepstrike a unit of 5 blightkings.  If you had access to any of the endless spell models, I would suggest taking Chronomantic Cogs or Geminids of Uhl-Gysh, but maybe it's better to stay at 1940 and just sit on an extra Command Point (you will want to use both The Glottkins and Harbingers Command Abilities on the 2nd battleround probably. ) Make sure Festus baby-sits the Glottkin for healing purposes. I would suggest using the Harbinger as your general so you can take a command trait and give him Grandfather's Blessing. And I would suggest also giving the Harbinger the Witherstave artefact and keeping him close to the Glottkin and Festus and a unit of blightkings. Give The Glottkin Plague Squall and give the sorcerer Blades of Putrefaction.

Just my two cents.