AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

For those looking for Nurgle themed Marauders, the Nurgle themed Bloodbowl team may be useful for conversion parts.

Or perhaps the new kill team stuff (though I don’t anticipate that being cost-effective). Personally, I like the idea of converting up 40k Poxwalkers. Doesn’t take too much doing

2 hours ago, Domowoj said:

I like the list, Luke! It's an interesting idea for a strong basic strategy; 80 hard-to-move bodies for objective-grabbing. I am eager to hear how it performs. Can you find room for another 40 marauders in there? :D

20 points short sadly, even if I drop the warriors, geminids, and extra command point (I wouldn’t - want a more backfield unit, and geminids making an enemy unit -3 to hit is just silly. Or taking away an attack or two per model? Sign me up).

Lastly, adding a third brick of 40 marauders would be functionally not all that useful. Nearly impossible to keep a third unit in range of the harbinger while also being useful and not blocked off by one of the other units.

7 hours ago, Domowoj said:

I like the list, Luke! It's an interesting idea for a strong basic strategy; 80 hard-to-move bodies for objective-grabbing. I am eager to hear how it performs. Can you find room for another 40 marauders in there? :D

It's an alternation of the 3rd place from BLACKOUT.

The original list can be seen here: 

By biggest gripe with @Luke1705's version is not making Archaon the general for one of the mediocre at best chaos command traits. Therefore not being able to use the excess command points (which might run out by turn 3) for the generic command abilities. 

Furthermore, I have the feeling that the lack of casters was deliberate and adding an endless spell and another caster might weaken the concept.

10 hours ago, Xasz said:

It's an alternation of the 3rd place from BLACKOUT.

The original list can be seen here: 

By biggest gripe with @Luke1705's version is not making Archaon the general for one of the mediocre at best chaos command traits. Therefore not being able to use the excess command points (which might run out by turn 3) for the generic command abilities. 

Furthermore, I have the feeling that the lack of casters was deliberate and adding an endless spell and another caster might weaken the concept.

Oh no the not making Archaon the general was just a mistake. Edit: We bleep the word for flatulence? Archaon is the general. The lack of casters was probably deliberate in the original list (and why I took the Glottkin out in particular - he’s really only there for blades, which I’ve found to be decently unreliable. You’re targeting one cast out of 3 on average).

The goal is just to hopefully cast geminids and mystic shield from Archaon. It’s not game-breaking if I don’t, but it’s a nice bonus if I do

Edited by Luke1705

14 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

Or perhaps the new kill team stuff (though I don’t anticipate that being cost-effective). Personally, I like the idea of converting up 40k Poxwalkers. Doesn’t take too much doing

Yea the problem wit the upcoming Rogue Trader set is that half of them look like cyborgs. Be a nightmare to try to make sure it looks fitting for AoS (unless its a kharadron/skyre experiment gone wrong). But the non techy ones look like they'll fit right in.

Every once in a while, the phrase "chaos war mammoth" pops up here. I love the idea; the thing is centrepiece material and a conversion modelers dream and at the end of the day, it's just plain cool. It also comes with a fascinating warscroll and what seems on the surface to be a decent point cost. But is it really worth it?

320 points for 22 wounds, a 4+ save, 12" move (very fast!), some good rend attacks and some good mortal wound output. It also holds a bravery bomb, a little extra oomph against other monsters, and the keywords MORTAL NURGLE so it can be affected by Morbid Vigour.

320 points could instead buy you a unit of 30 plaguebearers or a unit of 10 blightkings (or two units of 5 if you prefer). Plaguebearers fill a different role on the table, so let's ignore them. 10 Blightkings, on the other hand, are a better comparison because the unit(s) get worse each time you lose a blight king and a war mammoth gets worse each time it loses 4 hit points. So 10 blightkings are going to have the same saves,  almost twice the amount of wounds, and a similar enough footprint. They will put out a similar amount of damage (against a 4+ save) but their damage gets much worse if debuffed -1 to hit. They are slower, however, they can hold objectives way better. They are battleline and can be used in several battalions (giving them rend, etc). And lastly, the effects of many of our buffs will get much better mileage on units with more bodies (fleshy abundance, blades of putrefaction, etc).

It seems obviously better to just take more blightkings or something else for those points (10 chaos knights?) than to take a mammoth. A mammoth is basically just cool. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Blight Kings aren't that slow.  Set the wheel to +2" move, be near a GUO with a bell for +3", spend an extra CP to run 7" (sonorous tocsin gives +1) and you are moving 16" on turn 1.  Slingshot off a feculant gnarlmaw to charge (at +1" from the sonorous tocsin).

15 minutes ago, Centurio said:

Blight Kings aren't that slow.  Set the wheel to +2" move, be near a GUO with a bell for +3", spend an extra CP to run 7" (sonorous tocsin gives +1) and you are moving 16" on turn 1.  Slingshot off a feculant gnarlmaw to charge (at +1" from the sonorous tocsin).

I understand all that, and don't forget Cogs. But I was comparing them to the mammoth. At 4" movement, they are slow relative to the rest of our army. Those are army-wide buffs (except for the tocsin), and what's 16" for a blightking is 23" for a mammoth.

Maybe a mammoth could find it's role to be an anti-monster missile that smashes an important target (Alarielle? Nagash?) potentially 1st turn. It would have to be a big-ticket monster to make it worth it. You'd maybe have to follow it with a hero who can summon a tree behind it. It could smash a monster and spend the rest of the turn (and hopefully more) holding up a section of enemy before falling dead on top of them.

• Like 1

True.   I'm not disputing that the war mammoth is cool.   But either one is capable of getting in on turn 1.  The blight kings are a little dicier though with the lower move.  I pulled off a first turn charge with 41 wounds of blight kings last game, with the Witherstave behind them,  and it was wonderful.  Dont forget the amount of space you can take up with that unit.  I tied up 75% of a khorne army for 2.5 turns (and killed most of them in the process).

• Like 1

Figured I’d post up the list I just played with at a local one day event. With a bit of luck I Finished 3rd with 3/3 wins against gore pilgrims, tomb kings and sacrosanct stormcast. So far the list has been really flexible, though I haven’t come close to wiping anyone out, it’s been great at objectives. Will probably end up swapping the LoP for a LoB in the future. 

220CBE25-42D3-493F-AE7B-CFA54140632B.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey guys, just started playing this game and last week i played a 1000 points match and lost against fyreslayers. (It was stupid, i totally forgot the BK re-roll your 6 hit thing rule....) Anyhow, my next game is goin to be a 2k battle and since i just started this whole age of sigmar hobby i can make the next list: (These are practically all the models i have apart for gutrot and some other daemons)

Glottkin (general)

harbinger

festus

sorcerer

lord of plagues

lord of blights

battleline

3 times 5 unit blightkings

1 unit 10 plaguebearers

and the blight cyst battalion will make this list 1940.

As i said it’s all i have at the moment and im in need of some advice. Anyone who can help me with some tips and tricks/abbilities and aretefacts for this army? Im playing against freeguild army and the mission is the relocation orb ghb2018 pg 61.

thx in advance!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Hey guys, just started playing this game and last week i played a 1000 points match and lost against fyreslayers. (It was stupid, i totally forgot the BK re-roll your 6 hit thing rule....) Anyhow, my next game is goin to be a 2k battle and since i just started this whole age of sigmar hobby i can make the next list: (These are practically all the models i have apart for gutrot and some other daemons)

Glottkin (general)

harbinger

festus

sorcerer

lord of plagues

lord of blights

battleline

3 times 5 unit blightkings

1 unit 10 plaguebearers

and the blight cyst battalion will make this list 1940.

As i said it’s all i have at the moment and im in need of some advice. Anyone who can help me with some tips and tricks/abbilities and aretefacts for this army? Im playing against freeguild army and the mission is the relocation orb ghb2018 pg 61.

thx in advance!

Just at a glance, I would recommend you use Gutrot in place of the Lord of Plagues to hopefully deepstrike a unit of 5 blightkings.  If you had access to any of the endless spell models, I would suggest taking Chronomantic Cogs or Geminids of Uhl-Gysh, but maybe it's better to stay at 1940 and just sit on an extra Command Point (you will want to use both The Glottkins and Harbingers Command Abilities on the 2nd battleround probably. ) Make sure Festus baby-sits the Glottkin for healing purposes. I would suggest using the Harbinger as your general so you can take a command trait and give him Grandfather's Blessing. And I would suggest also giving the Harbinger the Witherstave artefact and keeping him close to the Glottkin and Festus and a unit of blightkings. Give The Glottkin Plague Squall and give the sorcerer Blades of Putrefaction.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Domowoj said:

Just at a glance, I would recommend you use Gutrot in place of the Lord of Plagues to hopefully deepstrike a unit of 5 blightkings.  If you had access to any of the endless spell models, I would suggest taking Chronomantic Cogs or Geminids of Uhl-Gysh, but maybe it's better to stay at 1940 and just sit on an extra Command Point (you will want to use both The Glottkins and Harbingers Command Abilities on the 2nd battleround probably. ) Make sure Festus baby-sits the Glottkin for healing purposes. I would suggest using the Harbinger as your general so you can take a command trait and give him Grandfather's Blessing. And I would suggest also giving the Harbinger the Witherstave artefact and keeping him close to the Glottkin and Festus and a unit of blightkings. Give The Glottkin Plague Squall and give the sorcerer Blades of Putrefaction.

Just my two cents.

Yup, what he said. I hope you've got some trees to drop, and it IS too bad that you couldn't come up with something else than that unit of 10 PBoys..... they'd be so much more effective in a small unit like that if you summoned them. Maybe for the future, try to work in a unit of marauders..... with the Glott and the harbinger as well as the LoB buffing them they are not to be ignored.

Hey guys, thx for the advice, much appreciated. Ill swap plagues lord for Gutrot, sounds like a plan. But my question now is, since Gutrot can bring some BK on his flagship ability at end of the move, how does this work with setting up the army. When placing units at the begin of the game i assumed you had to drop a battalion at once...as a single drop. So the blight cyst has to be put at the table 3 units BK and lord of blights. This does not leave any BK’s for Gutrot later on to drop after my first movementphase? Or can i just place my army one by one atthe table and the moment Gutrot arrives with his BK is he ,oment i can use the abilities from the Blight cyst battallion?

To be honest, i dont feel ready to play 2k battles,both mechanic wise as a,ount of models i own at the moment.....still so much to buy...!

Im sorry i have to say this, and a lot of people will clarify me nuts, but im not planning on using marauders...i dont like the models.  To fill up my army in the future im planning on using the maxed out plaguebearers unit. So need me some Nurgle starting sets and plaguebearers boxes. Oh and ofcourse blightkings, i ant more blightkings, i love blightkings! 

7 hours ago, Domowoj said:

Just my two cents.

Pitty i also dont own those endless spells yet..... The chronomatic cogs with some Nurgling attached to tha model would surely be a nice addition to my army to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Hey guys, thx for the advice, much appreciated. Ill swap plagues lord for Gutrot, sounds like a plan. But my question now is, since Gutrot can bring some BK on his flagship ability at end of the move, how does this work with setting up the army. When placing units at the begin of the game i assumed you had to drop a battalion at once...as a single drop. So the blight cyst has to be put at the table 3 units BK and lord of blights. This does not leave any BK’s for Gutrot later on to drop after my first movementphase? Or can i just place my army one by one atthe table and the moment Gutrot arrives with his BK is he ,oment i can use the abilities from the Blight cyst battallion?

To be honest, i dont feel ready to play 2k battles,both mechanic wise as a,ount of models i own at the moment.....still so much to buy...!

Im sorry i have to say this, and a lot of people will clarify me nuts, but im not planning on using marauders...i dont like the models.  To fill up my army in the future im planning on using the maxed out plaguebearers unit. So need me some Nurgle starting sets and plaguebearers boxes. Oh and ofcourse blightkings, i ant more blightkings, i love blightkings! 

One of your "drops" would be you saying to your opponent, gutrot spume and a unit of blightkings are in his slime fleet...much the same way a death player would tell you one of his skeleton units in being set up in the grave.

If you dont like the marauder models..make your own! LOTS of options. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

One of your "drops" would be you saying to your opponent, gutrot spume and a unit of blightkings are in his slime fleet...much the same way a death player would tell you one of his skeleton units in being set up in the grave.

Yup..... don't sell these guys short. With the Glott giving them +1 attack, an extra wound (maybe) and DR from the Harby, plus maybe -2,-1 to hit from LoB they're unmovable. Also, with any luck at all, you'll be hitting on 3s, re-rolling 1s. Movement 6". What's not to like? The models are old, yeah. But far from the worst that GW has to offer. Have you ever checked out fiends of Slaanesh?? That's just one of a long list of less than great sculpts. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Thx again guys! So i could use that abillity of Gutrot and have the blight cyst battalion, cool.

I believe you guys anout the marauders, but still....not my cup of tea sry.

7 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

So the rules state that you may choose to deploy as much as you want of a warscroll battalion as a single drop. This translates into most people dropping all of a battalion as a single drop, but you don't have to! Usually I drop a unit of blightkings and then remember that I have a battalion and set up the rest as a second drop. ?

Also, don't forget that the battalion can include your harbinger and sorcerer. And it gives you access to a 2nd artefact. If you are playing with the realm rules, I would suggest your army list its home-realm as Hysh, and put an Aetherquartz Brooch on someone (LoB or sorcerer). You have a lot of nice command ability options and this handy artefact will hopefully help you to use multiple command abilities simultaneously a few times over the course of a game. Otherwise you could pick a 2nd artefact to taste. Carrion Dirge is nice, especially if you combine it with Hideous Visage command trait (but I prefer Grandfather's Blessing 9 times out of 10).

Don't apologize about your taste in models/army direction! The coolest part of Warhammer is designing your own army! This thread is a great place for us Nurgle players to pool our wisdom and experience together into a tactical manual, but it doesn't mean we should all play the same army list. We wouldn't learn anything new if we all used the same strategies each time. And maybe you could try and play a couple games at points levels between 1k and 2k. Honestly, 2k is a lot to keep track of even for an experienced player. Good luck with your games and please share how you fare.

On 8/19/2018 at 2:44 PM, Domowoj said:

Every once in a while, the phrase "chaos war mammoth" pops up here. I love the idea; the thing is centrepiece material and a conversion modelers dream and at the end of the day, it's just plain cool. It also comes with a fascinating warscroll and what seems on the surface to be a decent point cost. But is it really worth it?

320 points for 22 wounds, a 4+ save, 12" move (very fast!), some good rend attacks and some good mortal wound output. It also holds a bravery bomb, a little extra oomph against other monsters, and the keywords MORTAL NURGLE so it can be affected by Morbid Vigour.

320 points could instead buy you a unit of 30 plaguebearers or a unit of 10 blightkings (or two units of 5 if you prefer). Plaguebearers fill a different role on the table, so let's ignore them. 10 Blightkings, on the other hand, are a better comparison because the unit(s) get worse each time you lose a blight king and a war mammoth gets worse each time it loses 4 hit points. So 10 blightkings are going to have the same saves,  almost twice the amount of wounds, and a similar enough footprint. They will put out a similar amount of damage (against a 4+ save) but their damage gets much worse if debuffed -1 to hit. They are slower, however, they can hold objectives way better. They are battleline and can be used in several battalions (giving them rend, etc). And lastly, the effects of many of our buffs will get much better mileage on units with more bodies (fleshy abundance, blades of putrefaction, etc).

It seems obviously better to just take more blightkings or something else for those points (10 chaos knights?) than to take a mammoth. A mammoth is basically just cool. Am I missing something?

There are a few things you are neglecting.  One, even though the Mammoth is a monster and will trigger more than a few special abilities from it he is on model.  Getting ten Kings into a fight at the same time is pretty difficult against someone who can mess with combat placement.

Next, Kings get dunked on extremely hard by Stormcast and Death armies.  Now, might not be relevant to everyone but if it is it is.

It is way harder to mess with a Mammoth than it is Kings in general.  Any -1 to hit effectively shuts them down.  

Lastly while Blightkings can be pretty mobile they’ll never be as fast as a base 12” Mammoth and that can be huge.

Game if inches and all that.

Bonus extra, they are freaking War Mammoths!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 3:09 PM, tchad78 said:

2k list.  3 CP on Chaos Lord to give 10 pack knights hitting on 2's rerolling 1's mortal wounds on 3's - 50 attacks.  Gutrot deepstrike with 10 Blightkings.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Sayl The Faithless (200)
- Allies
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 156

Where do the 2 extra attacks per Knight come from ???