AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I depends on the mission. I just played a tournament where my opponent placed 3 mournfangs on an objective in scorched earth. I put 5 kings with gutrot because that's all I needed to burn it down. 

Also @Havek Take the witherstave on the poxbringer. Its bordering on broken. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Anyone run a GUO/2x GUOs with Rotigus? I magnetised my GUO but the rotigus left arm doesn't work with magnetising as it scratches off the wrist paintwork, so I was thinking of getting another GUO kit and build as rotigus, particularly for his spell. 

The left hand meaning the empty/bile blade / flail hand?   Since it's empty for rotigus and his only weapon is in the other hand, I would think it would be fine to have a bileblade or flail there and just magnetize the other arm. I doubt anyone is going to complain if your rotigus is holding a dagger in addition to his warscroll weapon. 

28 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

The left hand meaning the empty/bile blade / flail hand?   Since it's empty for rotigus and his only weapon is in the other hand, I would think it would be fine to have a bileblade or flail there and just magnetize the other arm. I doubt anyone is going to complain if your rotigus is holding a dagger in addition to his warscroll weapon. 

Yeah that one. Problem is I really like that arm, so I'd want to build a complete rotigus instead of just using the dagger! Also having 2 GUOs would be awesome!

13 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Yeah that one. Problem is I really like that arm, so I'd want to build a complete rotigus instead of just using the dagger! Also having 2 GUOs would be awesome!

The problem with having two is now you're only 1 more away from trying out that batallion...

I have a 1k tournament coming up next month and I'm not sure what's strong for Nurgle in that range.  I was thinking either a plague cyst or blight cyst plus harbinger, or possibly the following daemon list:

GUO - blade, bell, witherstave, probably sumptuous pestilence?

30x Plaguebearers

10x Plaguebearers

3x Plague Drones

Soulsnare Shackles (because 20 points are left)

But I'm not sure how offensive the daemon list would be.

What's decent at lower points?  I feel like packing as many bodies as possible is a good answer.  So maybe drop the GUO and shift some more models in?

4 hours ago, Jacksmiles said:

I have a 1k tournament coming up next month and I'm not sure what's strong for Nurgle in that range.  I was thinking either a plague cyst or blight cyst plus harbinger, or possibly the following daemon list:

A batallion in a 1k list seems like a terrible idea to me. costs 20% of your points.  Also does not leave you room for much else... 160-180 points, so you can take 1 more small hero or a 4th blightking unit.     I mean.... 20 buffed blightkings in a 1k list doesn't sound THAT bad but I think you may want at least 1 spell. 

22 hours ago, Domowoj said:

I would normally agree with you about MSU blightkings but I think it's likely that the unit of 10 Blightkings in this list are attached to Gutrot Spume. For me, this is the perfect place for a unit of 10 Blightkings; five kings deep striking is certainly more agile, but not necessarily scary enough to dissolve your opponent's plans or divide her/his attention in a meaningful way.

I actually played 10 Blightkings with Spume for about 6 games.  I had exactly the same idea.  What I found was that even at 10, they we're better as a distraction than anything else.  It was hard to fit 10 where I needed them, and they seemed easy to counter in that large of a group.

Don't get me wrong, they did their job fantastic, but I think 5 can do that just as well and leaves another small unit.

My current plan, that I haven't really had a chance to try, is to try to get the first turn and move the PB and GUO up on objectives in a long thin line GUO in back.  BK are reserves in back to counter charge anything on turn 2.  Gutrot and 5 BK hitting back and side to make sure they can't focus too much.

I think the fact that gutrot and blightkings have to come on end of nurgles first movement phase, makes zoning them out too easy for opponents.  Slow movement further exasperates  this issue. So tbh I think 5 blightkings is probably your best bet, unless you’re facing an army with small model/unit count who will find zoning out more of a challenge. 

Even if you get zoned out of the backfield, it's not the end of the world to set up your Blightkings in your opponent's face. If you brought Cogs with you, you are looking at a six inch charge (rerollable with a CP). Your opponent may have spread out some of their units in order to zone you out, but you have still tied up some of their resources and you can still get a 1st turn charge that they weren't maybe expecting.

If this is a scenario you find yourself in, you may also have the option to support your blightkings with a harbinger and/or a big hammer (marauders, plague monks, plague drones) with which to countercharge if you fail your blightkings charge.

Gutrot is a great tool for us, but it's not going to work 100% every time. Be adaptable. Cogs is very helpful, but you can't count on it.

Also, slow movement is no longer a thing for Nurgle. We have so many tools to get around it that it's not an issue anymore.

You are either zoned out, or you're not. In either case, your  blightkings are in charge range. If your opponent tries to move away and avoid you, then they create room for you to drop a tree with Gutrot.

Always play for objectives with your Gutrot strategy.

I know what you’re saying and it makes sense a lot of the time. But believe me, a savy player can zone you out on a 6 feet wide deployment zone with chaff. I remember one game in particular against seraphon where the player had the majority of his force central and then a unit of skinks on either flank. That basically kept my kings out of the game for 3 turns.  

I agree that they’re useful however! They’ve won me many games. Still think I would limit it to a 5 man unit’s against most factions though. 

Edited by NurglesFirstChosen

1 hour ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I know what you’re saying and it makes sense a lot of the time. But believe me, a savy player can zone you out on a 6’’ wide deployment zone with chaff. I remember one game in particular against seraphon where the player had the majority of his force central and then a unit of skinks on either flank. That basically kept my kings out of the game for 3 turns.  

I agree that they’re useful however! They’ve won me many games. Still think I would limit it to a 5 man unit’s against most factions though. 

My question here is, do you get to bring him in after the first movement phase? It states on his war scroll that he comes in after "the first movement phase". Just wondering how other people view this. In casual games at the shop it's no prob. But could it be viewed differently in a tournament setting?

2 minutes ago, Tasman said:

My question here is, do you get to bring him in after the first movement phase? It states on his war scroll that he comes in after "the first movement phase". Just wondering how other people view this. In casual games at the shop it's no prob. But could it be viewed differently in a tournament setting?

Yeah you have to bring them on at the end of your first movement phase. 

Thousand Point List Redo:

Festus (unsure on spell)

Harbinger (general, witherstave)

Sorcerer (blades of putrefaction?)

5x Blightkings

5x Blightkings

5x Chaos Warriors (hand weapons & shields)

5x Chaos Knights (glaives)

This gives me more bodies than doing a battalion in low points.  I was thinking warriors with shields to sit on a backfield objective, and knights to flank, everything else pushes forward (generally).  I have some Slaves to Darkness models and thought this might be a decent use for them.

Edited by Jacksmiles

2k list.  3 CP on Chaos Lord to give 10 pack knights hitting on 2's rerolling 1's mortal wounds on 3's - 50 attacks.  Gutrot deepstrike with 10 Blightkings.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Sayl The Faithless (200)
- Allies
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 156

37 minutes ago, tchad78 said:

2k list.  3 CP on Chaos Lord to give 10 pack knights hitting on 2's rerolling 1's mortal wounds on 3's - 50 attacks.  Gutrot deepstrike with 10 Blightkings.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
Sayl The Faithless (200)
- Allies
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 156

He's not going to be able to put that on a unit more than once.... but he could do both units once. And I'm not seeing the mortal wound on threes?

Edited by Tasman

4 minutes ago, Tasman said:

He's not going to be able to put that on a unit more than once.... but he could do both units once. And I'm not seeing the mortal wound on threes?

Sorcerer throws putrefication blades, and he can use the ability as many times as I have CP.  Sayl throws them behind enemy lines.

2 minutes ago, tchad78 said:

Sorcerer throws putrefication blades, and he can use the ability as many times as I have CP.  Sayl throws them behind enemy lines.

He can use it as many times as you have the points, yes. But NOT on the same unit. This has been Faq'd everywhere for everyone that has these type of abilities, i.e. the Glotkin. No +3 attacks just because you have 3 cp. Sorry.?

22 minutes ago, Tasman said:

He can use it as many times as you have the points, yes. But NOT on the same unit. This has been Faq'd everywhere for everyone that has these type of abilities, i.e. the Glotkin. No +3 attacks just because you have 3 cp. Sorry.?

It's been FAQ'd for specific units.  As a primary Ironjawz player in very aware of stacking command abilities.  I searched for this unit and couldn't find him as being unable to, thus he can until FAQ says he can't

Edited by tchad78

4 minutes ago, tchad78 said:

It's been FAQ'd for specific units.  As a primary Ironjawz player in very aware of stacking command abilities.  I searched for this unit and couldn't find him as being unable to, this he can until FAQ days he can't

Ok. Have it your way. I wouldn't play it that way. 

4 hours ago, tchad78 said:

It's been FAQ'd for specific units.  As a primary Ironjawz player in very aware of stacking command abilities.  I searched for this unit and couldn't find him as being unable to, thus he can until FAQ says he can't

I just looked it up in the FAQ and you are right!  I hadn't thought of that with blades.  I think I might steal this but with chariots, units of 3.

Regular chariots also get +1 to hit with hooves on the charge.  Gorebeast get 6 attacks with an 8 on the charge (easier with cogs and rerolls).  Need to decide.  Only problem is actually getting blades off.  I have terrible luck with it.

• Like 1

Had my first Nurgle battle today and i had a blast, I'm glad I chose this army.

A question on plague drones  - I was thinking their Locus of Contagion ability would up ALL their attacks,  both the riders plague swords/shooting and all the drones various attacks.  Likewise i thought the GUO's Grandfather's Joy would boost ALL that models attacks, not just the riders.

However my opponent states that the faqs stipulate that such bonuses only go to riders,   not mounts,  so the drones were SOL.   Hes a good egg and I kinda remembered reading that once before I took a break from the game so I went with  it - but i wanted to check with you experienced Nurgle generals- do the drones themselves not enjoy the bonus attacks of these abilities?  I looked at the maggotkin and chaos faqs and didn't see any clarification.

Thanks all