AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I got to summon a GUO a couple of weeks ago on turn 4. It's pretty pointless, as most games are tied up before or during round 4.  In this case I may have had a chance if he made his 9" charge, which he didn't.     (If you don't make the charge, you essentially are summoning it on turn 5)

I usually just summon 5-10 plaguebearers and let them run around for objectives. It's nice to run a hero towards an objective and then summon the PBs 12" closer to it.  Can be a life saver when you need to go get an uncontested objective across the board that would take you 3 turns to reach otherwise...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Yep and if you do not want to magnetize right away, just simply use small dabs of plastic glue (not super glue) for the 2 hands, the head, and the maw. that way, you can get to playing quicker with less effort, and later on when you are ready to try a different config. the pieces will break off easily and you can magnetize. 

Aw, like you looked right into my impatient brain! Thanks, I did just that.

I've been exploring Nurgle a bit recently so I just dipped my toe into this thread (eww) and read the last several pages but not the whole thing from the start. 

What is the current conventional wisdom on Bloab Rotspawned? Most of the Maggoth Lords look kinda ****** to me, but I could see Bloab being useful. He's inefficient on offense and on defense, but his other abilities have a lot of potential. The fly cloud just gives yet another possible hit penalty, and his spell seems like it could do a huge amount of damage. Best case scenario you damage the unit in your hero, shooting, and combat phases and then again in your opponent's combat phase. Barring unlikely events (such as dealing damage in the movement phase or other phases of your opponent's turn), that's 6.67 mortal wounds on average, or 1.67 per phase. So for the spell to be good you only need to damage in two phases, 3 makes it very good and 4 makes it fantastic. 

Sorry about the 'noob' questions but just played my first game of AoS today. Thoroughly enjoyed it but since then I've been looking through some of the Warscrolls. The Great Unclean Ones can use a bile sword but it's attack value isn't listed - it has a *. What does that mean? Also seems to be a few different weapons with the * stat.

8 minutes ago, Dwarf Giant said:

Sorry about the 'noob' questions but just played my first game of AoS today. Thoroughly enjoyed it but since then I've been looking through some of the Warscrolls. The Great Unclean Ones can use a bile sword but it's attack value isn't listed - it has a *. What does that mean? Also seems to be a few different weapons with the * stat.

These weapons reference values that change depending on how many wounds the GUO has taken (many large creatures work this way in AoS). See the chart on the warscroll to reference what the correct value is. 

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

I've been exploring Nurgle a bit recently so I just dipped my toe into this thread (eww) and read the last several pages but not the whole thing from the start. 

What is the current conventional wisdom on Bloab Rotspawned? Most of the Maggoth Lords look kinda ****** to me, but I could see Bloab being useful. He's inefficient on offense and on defense, but his other abilities have a lot of potential. The fly cloud just gives yet another possible hit penalty, and his spell seems like it could do a huge amount of damage. Best case scenario you damage the unit in your hero, shooting, and combat phases and then again in your opponent's combat phase. Barring unlikely events (such as dealing damage in the movement phase or other phases of your opponent's turn), that's 6.67 mortal wounds on average, or 1.67 per phase. So for the spell to be good you only need to damage in two phases, 3 makes it very good and 4 makes it fantastic. 

He, along with all of the other maggoth lords have become terrible point sinks IMO. 260 for a single spell character who has no command abilities and can't be given traits or artifacts, with only 12 wounds, is just too many points. That being said, he's the best of the three, followed by Morby. Don't bother with Orghots at all. Too bad, as I have all 3.

Edited by Tasman

spoilpox scrivener would work to trigger the plague drone extra attack, and as the drones have plaguebearer keyword, do they trigger the rerolls?  If so, has anyone tried this?  I know hes slow, but the flying + speed boost artefact would let him keep up and I dont know if people would focus him over the drones.

Just going to spew some mathhammer filth. Battleline comparisons on defensive and offensive efficiency.

Defense - the numbers are points per effective wound vs rend -/1/2/mortal damage. I will be applying a 30% bonus to large units of plaguebearers to reflect the -hit ability that they have. The actual value of the bonus varies depending on the base to hit roll of the attack, but 30% is a reasonable middle-ground value. The bonus is greater against shooting, of course, but it doesn't exist at all vs attacks/spells that don't roll to hit... so take the numbers for Plaguebearers with a grain of salt. Note: the lower number is better.

Raw defensive values:

Spoiler

Plaguebearers (10 man) 5.33/6.67/8/8

Plaguebearers (30 man) 3.65/4.56/5.47/5.47

Marauders (20 man) 4/5/6/6

Marauders (40 man) 3.33/4.17/5/5

Blightkings (5 man) 3.81/5.08/6.35/7.62

Blightkings (20 man) 3.58/4.78/5.98/7.16

Chaos Warriors w/ shield (5 man): 4.5/6/7.5/6

Chaos Warriors w/ shield (30 man): 4/5.33/6.67/5.33

Chaos Warriors w/ great weapon (5 man): 4.5/6/7.5/9

Chaos Warriors w/ great weapon (30 man): 4/5.33/6.67/8

Defensive analysis:

Spoiler

In min sized squads, marauders are the most efficient choice overall. They are slightly worse than blightkings against rend - but better in every other scenario. If you are expecting a ton of rend - though then BKs might be the best choice. Plaguebearers are the worst by far, and Chaos Warriors are also putrid (and not in a good way) except against mortal wounds when they have shields. In that case, they are actually the most efficient option. So if you are expecting the vast vast majority of your damage taken to be mortal woulds (I guess against a very magic heavy Tzeentch army?) then you might take Chaos Warriors with shields.

In max sized units the Plaguebearers become a lot more competitive. They still fall a bit behind marauders, but they surpass BKs against anything but rend -. Marauders beat everything against every damage type, and Chaos Warriors once again suck.

It's also worth noting that all the mortal units can benefit from the Harbinger of Decay command ability. If you want to factor that in just multiply the number by .67. If you are running the Glottkin, then Plaguebearers and marauders benefit the most from his spell. 

One final thing to take into consideration is battleshock. Of the min sized units, Chaos Warriors, Plaguebearers and BKs don't need to worry about it really. If the enemy manages to kill 4 BKs in one go then you have a 1 in 6 shot at losing the last one but that's it.  The enemy needs to deal 8 unsaved wounds to Plaguebearers or Chaos Warriors to have at least a 50% chance to get the rest of the unit. Marauders are a different story. It only takes 11 wounds in one turn on average to wipe out a 20 man unit (12 if you take a tribal banner).

In large units they all have to fear battleshock to some degree. On average massive regiments of Plaguebearers require 18 unsaved wounds in one go to take them down, BKs require 53,  Chaos Warriors require 34, and Chaos Marauders require 21 (22 with banner). 

So if we look at those numbers as a % of the overall wound count of the unit, we can establish a sort of "battleshock resistance" rating:

Plaguebearers (10 man): 80%

Plaguebearers (30 man): 60% 

Marauders (20 man): 55/60% 

Marauders (40 man) 52.5%/55%

Blightkings (5 man): 99%

Blightkings (20 man): 65.4%

Chaos Warriors (5 man): 80%

Chaos Warriors (30 man): 56.67%

If you like, you can divide the numbers in the chart above by the battleshock rating to get an idea of how efficient the unit would be against heavy damage of that rend type. If you do so, you'll see that blightkings are pretty clear winners, although marauders are actually nearly as good in large unit sizes. In small unit sizes, marauders really fall off a cliff and become the least efficient option. All that being said, if we consider actual battlefield roles and situations I still think marauders are the best cheap screen as any real amount of damage is going to break through just about any of these min sized units, and the marauders can actually cover a good amount of space with their 20 model count. If you assume the unit is just going to die, then the only thing better is a min sized unit of Chaos Warriors (as you only lose 90 points), but that unit is too small to actually screen anything. So, some awards:

Best screen: 20 man marauders

Best chokepoint holder: blightkings

Best tank vs. chip damage: marauders

Best tank vs. concentrated damage: blightkings

Offense - These numbers are calculated using my Weighted Damage Rating formula which allows you to compare offensive efficiency across units with different rend values. This is intended to be a ballpark estimate and the numbers will vary a little depending on how you weight the different rend values. I'm basically expecting 4+ and 5+ saves to be very common, 3+ and 6+ saves to be uncommon and 2+ and - saves to be rare. That gives me weights of 1.33 for rend 1, 1.66 for rend 2, and 2.16 for mortal wounds. The overall number reflects the number of weighted damage you get on average per point spent, so in this case the higher number is better. 

Also, note that I'm assuming all models can attack in these calculations. Obviously the actual practical efficiency of larger units will be lower than these charts reflect as you will probably have idle models, particularly for unit types with 1" range and bases larger than 25mm. 

Raw offensive values:

Spoiler

Plaguebearers (10 man): .031

Plaguebearers (30 man): .032

Marauders (20 man/<20 man) : .06/.054

Marauders (40 man): .07

Blightkings (5 man): .068

Blightkings (20 man): .075

Chaos Warriors w/ shield (5 man): .039

Chaos Warriors w/ shield (30 man): .042

Chaos Warriors w/ great weapon (5 man): .052

Chaos Warriors w/ great weapon (30 man): .056

Offensive Analysis

Spoiler

None of these units are actually "good" on offense. Blightkings and marauders are both OK but nothing to write home about, and both will struggle to avoid idle models due to unit size in large squad situations. Plaguebearers are terrible and Chaos Warriors with shields are almost as bad.

To give a frame of reference, a unit of 40 Plague Monks with blades and staves and no buffs at all (not even buffs present on their own warscroll) have a WDR of .111. Even if you can only attack with 20 of them with blades and 30 with staves they still manage a .063 (again without even factoring in the buffs that they get on their own warscroll). BKs in a Blight Cyst can kinda-sorta reach this ballpark of efficiency (.09-.1 range), but that doesn't factor in the battalion cost.

Honestly though there isn't much to fuss about here. The same units that are the best defensively are also the best offensively, although I wouldn't exactly count on them to carry your offense.

Overall Conclusions

Going purely on efficiency I don't see much reason to take Plaguebearers or Chaos Warriors as your battleline. Putrid Blightkings and Chaos Marauders are both just more efficient on defense and on offense. Marauders make ideal screens, while BKs are probably the best at actually tanking heavy damage. None of the units are really that good offensively, so I don't think relying on these particular units to play offense as well as defense will pay many dividends.

• Like 6

Remember that marauders get much more out of most types of force multiplication (hello Glottkin) since they gain 40 wounds from his fleshy abundance and 40 attacks from his command ability, not to mention how much better this synergizes with blades of putrefaction.

Force multiplication is why, at its core, mathhammer doesn’t tell the entire story unless you interpret it in light of force multiplication. For example, marauders getting the Glottkin’s bonus and blades will, on average, do 7.7 mortal wounds and 11.6 normal wounds just from the bonus attacks (without their +1 to hit or wound buff. With both up, you get 15.5 mortal wounds and 20.7 normal wounds....just from the glottkin’s bonus attack! The same points’ worth of blightkings will get 6.5 attacks. Do the math - which would you rather have? The same goes for the wounds. Would you rather have 40 bonus wounds or 7?

Though they are more susceptible to battleshock than the blight kings, I’ll take that especially since they can get a lot of models within 6”, and that is made even more important on missions where you only score within 3”

• Like 1

taking this list to a 20-30 person tournament today! Want to try it out and see how the addition of the warshrine does. 

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
- Lore of Foulness: undefined
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang  
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes & Shields
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

9 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

Remember that marauders get much more out of most types of force multiplication (hello Glottkin) since they gain 40 wounds from his fleshy abundance and 40 attacks from his command ability, not to mention how much better this synergizes with blades of putrefaction.

Force multiplication is why, at its core, mathhammer doesn’t tell the entire story unless you interpret it in light of force multiplication. For example, marauders getting the Glottkin’s bonus and blades will, on average, do 7.7 mortal wounds and 11.6 normal wounds just from the bonus attacks (without their +1 to hit or wound buff. With both up, you get 15.5 mortal wounds and 20.7 normal wounds....just from the glottkin’s bonus attack! The same points’ worth of blightkings will get 6.5 attacks. Do the math - which would you rather have? The same goes for the wounds. Would you rather have 40 bonus wounds or 7?

Though they are more susceptible to battleshock than the blight kings, I’ll take that especially since they can get a lot of models within 6”, and that is made even more important on missions where you only score within 3”

Yeah man. I've been harping on these dudes forever. It's sad that I can't take ten of them for 60 pts anymore, but to be honest I only ever did that to fill point gaps anyway. Now, with extra Cps and endless spells, that's not an issue. 40 man units with the brothers Glott. Harbinger, of course, a viable option. These guys can rock. I always call them my "elite marauders"?

To be a little fair though outside of giant blocks vs giant blocks, how many of those 40 marauders are going to be in combat range of whatever they're fighting? This is also why 10 man  units of blightkings usually don't see play. Kind of hard to make sure everyone is in range (especially with their big ol bases).

Not saying 40 man blocks is excessive, its the best way to run marauders! But they dont have 2" spears.

Edited by kenshin620

34 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

To be a little fair though outside of giant blocks vs giant blocks, how many of those 40 marauders are going to be in combat range of whatever they're fighting? This is also why 10 man  units of blightkings usually don't see play. Kind of hard to make sure everyone is in range (especially with their big ol bases).

Not saying 40 man blocks is excessive, its the best way to run marauders! But they dont have 2" spears.

Remember that even though Marauders only have 1” reach, their bases are less than 1”, so if you base the enemy and are base to base with one of your own models, then you’re within 1”. Functionally, this means that you can attack 2 ranks deep.

Having +1 to run and charge moves, the ability to run and charge thanks to the tree, and a 3” pile in (along with possibly a 2” further move if you need it) means that they have a surprising amount of ability to engage into combat with a large portion of the squad. I’ve routinely seen 25+ models attacking on the initial charge, and more than that once they pile in on your opponent’s turn. Remember that your opponent is also usually trying to position in s way to maximize their own attacks, so this works to your advantage when you attack as well

9 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

I swear every time I post some efficiency numbers someone pops out of the woodwork to scold me for not factoring synergies and buffs and reminding me that "mathhammer doesn't tell the entire story". Believe me, I very much know this. I even try to acknowledge some of the specific points that you made in my original post, such as that "if you are running the Glottkin, then Plaguebearers and marauders benefit the most from his spell," (and of course marauders moreso than plaguebearers at max size). 

The kind of mathhammer that I was doing also doesn't factor in movement, which is really important. Marauders beat BKs on that one too. 

Ultimately though I'm not very convinced by the scenarios you are painting for marauders mainly because they rely so much on Blades of Putrefaction. 

If you attempt that spell without any cast bonuses, there is a 41.64% chance you fail outright. So if your opponent has no unbind you have a 58.36% chance to succeed. If they do have an unbind (with no bonus), that chance drops to 43.72%. If they have some sort of bonus to unbind then it becomes much harder. I can't recall any ways to get a casting bonus on a Rotbringer Wizard (although maybe I am forgetting  a realm artefact) aside from random terrain bonuses. 

So overall I'd be surprised if you could reliably resolve Blades more than half the time, and that's assuming the caster doesn't die and your opponent doesn't have some super-unbinder like Arkhan or Nagash.

Even if we set aside the possible unreliability of Blades, I kinda want to do a comparison between Marauders and Plague Monks now, factoring in Blades and/or extra attack buffs.

With Blades

Spoiler

40 Marauders: .189 (this is on average factoring in the probability of getting +1 to hit or +1 to hit and +1 to wound)

40 Plague Monks w/ knife and stave (charging/not charging): .393/.291

40 Plague Monks w/ dual knives (charging/not charging): .458/.31

Note that this doesn't factor in any of the weird small buffs on the Plague Monk warscroll, such as the Bale-chime or Contagion Banner.

Value of Extra Attacks

Spoiler

40 Marauders (without blades/with blades): .001713/.004713

40 Plague Monks w/ knife and stave (without blades/with blades): .001736/.004736

40 Plague Monks w/ dual knives (without blades/with blades): .001563/.003813

And here are the base numbers for Plague Monks as well:

Spoiler

40 Plague Monks w/knife and stave (charging/not charging): .153/.111

40 Plague Monks w dual knives (charging/not charging): .188/.125

Overall I like Plague Monks with knife and staff better mostly because you don't fall off quite as much in less than ideal combat circumstances where you can't easily get all of your models in range. Dual knives are more efficient in a vacuum but I suspect most of the time they will be less efficient in practice.

So looking at just the knife+staff numbers, they are 2.19 times more efficient than marauders on offense when charging and 1.59 times more efficient when not charging. With Blades of Putrefaction active, Plague Monks are 2.08 times more efficient when charging and 1.54 times more efficient when not charging. They also benefit a tiny bit more from extra attacks. 

And these numbers are underselling the different between Plague Monks and marauders simply because marauders are more likely to have idle models and they also don't factor in a couple of small buffs that Plague Monks get.

Plague Monks are also more buffable than Marauders, benefitting from the Verminlord Corrupter command ability as well as the Glottkin's. You could also stack on the buffs from a Plague Furnace if you like. 

Looking at the defensive side of the coin, Plague Monks have a points per expected wound of 6 across the board. They also have pretty much the same battleshock resistance as marauders. So on defense, marauders are 1.8 times more efficient against rend -, 1.44 times more efficient against rend 1, and 1.2 times more efficient against rend >1 and mortal wounds.

Conclusions

Marauders are definitely a better unit on defense, particularly with the support of a Harbinger of Decay and particularly against low rend. On offense though Plague monks are absurdly better at baseline, benefit more from buffs, and have more buffs that apply to them. Of course, Plague Monks are only battleline for Clan Pestilens. I think if you are going to be playing a buffed infantry game, several large blocks of monks screened by several small blocks of marauders is probably the most efficient solution.

• Like 1

Wasn’t scolding nor do I think that you personally don’t understand those synergies. Just mentioning it for those whom might have forgetten or never knew about them.

I actually like plague monks and probably would use a squad if they were battleline, but those harbinger buffs (and having a 5+ save instead of a 6+ save) ruin the plague monks for me. My 80 marauders evaporate fast enough, even with an inspiring presence. Especially because, as you point out, the spells are less than perfectly reliable

If only there was a nurgle rotbringer wizard thats also a daemon so he could take the dang pox tome! Then Blades can be a wee more reliable. Kind of sad that the palanquin of Nurgle that was a staple in the nurgle options of yester years isn't around anymore. Or at the very least have a Fly riding wizard! Then you could not feel bad for sacrificing one of the blightlords to make an affliction lord!

Edited by kenshin620

I’ve never had a problem getting ten Kings in combat. Sure maybe 1-3 don’t. Rarely 4.. but with new pile in rules.. if you’re judicious with your moves and positioning most will. The others take causualties. marauders can attack “from two ranks” so a 40 block is stupid easy to get all in.  At least in my experience. 

————

Came in 5th/25 at the tournament. Went 2-1. Two major wins and major loss. Won best painted though. People flipped for the glottkin! 

First game was against bcr. I mean it was honestly over by turn 2. I took first turn. Gutrot and 5 kings charged 3 mournfangs which we’re sitting on right objective. I killed one I think. Burned it. One stone horn diverted to help the mournfangs and when he did I knew I won. People get so tempted and take the bait. Sure gutot and those kings died after another 1-2 turns of combat but ok. I tied down that whole side of the broad with 300 points. And got vp’s. Huskgard and stonehorn charged maruaders and 10 kings. But with them rerolling 6s to hit and wound and the blightkings 4+/5++/6++ it was a grind for them. With some disease mortal wounds and rend in kings I got all three monsters. Summoned plague bois on weak objectives and burned em. Major win. But dudes...frostlord on stonehorn with an artefact where he can’t be rend or rustfanged...??! No modifiers to 3+ save... whoa. Thanks to maruaders for putrefying him though!!

second was against kaleb Walters and his tzeentch army. He had a huge block of enlightened, acolytes, kairos, loc. Focal points. Enlightened charged blightkings but tried to dance around them..keeping me from piling in to many...but forcing me to chase him or retreat. Very smart. I figured I just keep getting that 3” and hit with as many as I could. Frigging fold reality (spell to get d6 enlightened back - on a 1 they all disappear though) kept bringing them back. One time he did roll the 1!!!! But he Kairos’d that dice roll hahah. I managed to get a decent early lead. He came back to tie it up. Won priority on PIVITOL turn 4 to basically seal it for me. Glottkin got a clean charge in on kairos and killed him. Hard fought major win. Kaleb is such a masterful mauever/positioning player. No room for error. To be fair my dice rolls (particularly harbinger rolls and getting 6s on kings were kind of ridiculous)

last game against ironjaws. 18 gore gruntas, gordrakk, 3 warchantas. Some battalion that lets them move 15” free first turn. Ok I get fleshy and blades on maruaders (arcane scenery ftw) so I turtled. He charged in 18 gruntas and goredrak. Lol I took it all. He killed 4/5 kings. And some of the maruaders...but 8 kings got 8 sixes paired with rustfang and rerolling wounds from shrine...I wiped out an entire squad of piggies. One had a couple wounds left. It was friggin awesome. I eventually killed all piggies and goredrak (turn three I believe)..problem was his warchantas took objectives after piggies boxed me in my own deployment zone. I should have rushed forward to limit him locking me so far away from objectives. Major loss...even though he got 120 kill points ??

Good fun. Great practice. That’s last game is going to bug me for a few days though ?

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Quick question, rot brothers. Whats the better loadout for Plague Drones? Probiscus or mouthparts?

I think the Prehensile Proboscis.

They are similar choices in terms of damage output. The Foul Mouthparts put out 2.667 damage on average and the Proboscises put out 3 damage on average (this is just probabilities of rolling to hit and to wound with a unit of 3 drones).

If you bring Blades of Putrefaction to try and buff the drones, then you will want to be rolling as many attacks as possible. This is also favoring the decision to take the Proboscises.

• Thanks 1

Looking to run this list for an upcoming 40 man, 2 day tournament (6 games, all new missions from GHB).

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Lord of Blights (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

I am not 100% sold on Blades with the increased unbind range.  I am back and forth on 15-20 Blightkings, but not sure what else I can jam in there.

6 hours ago, Havek said:

Looking to run this list for an upcoming 40 man, 2 day tournament (6 games, all new missions from GHB).

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Lord of Blights (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

I am not 100% sold on Blades with the increased unbind range.  I am back and forth on 15-20 Blightkings, but not sure what else I can jam in there.

I run something similar but with GUO instead of Glottkin.  I'm going to split to 4 units of 5 BK.  I'm not finding blades ever working like I want it.  Without a buff spell, no reason to take big units of BK.

10 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

I run something similar but with GUO instead of Glottkin.  I'm going to split to 4 units of 5 BK.  I'm not finding blades ever working like I want it.  Without a buff spell, no reason to take big units of BK.

I would normally agree with you about MSU blightkings but I think it's likely that the unit of 10 Blightkings in this list are attached to Gutrot Spume. For me, this is the perfect place for a unit of 10 Blightkings; five kings deep striking is certainly more agile, but not necessarily scary enough to dissolve your opponent's plans or divide her/his attention in a meaningful way.

21 minutes ago, Domowoj said:

I would normally agree with you about MSU blightkings but I think it's likely that the unit of 10 Blightkings in this list are attached to Gutrot Spume. For me, this is the perfect place for a unit of 10 Blightkings; five kings deep striking is certainly more agile, but not necessarily scary enough to dissolve your opponent's plans or divide her/his attention in a meaningful way.

This was pretty much my line of thinking.  I figure most opponents will be able to block a unit of 10 from causing too much trouble, but being able to swing in from the sides and pressure a flank is a good consolation.