AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I've seen lots of list building with The Glottkin throughout this thread, how have people been finding their builds? I’ve been using variations with him, Marauders and Blightkings etc. Settling on the following list for now, comments and criticism are welcome:

Lord of Plagues (140) - General - Trait: Virulent Contagion   - Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Sorcerer (120) - Artefact: Muttergrub   - Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
The Glottkin (420) - Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Harbinger of Decay (160) - Artefact: Rustfang

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200) - Axes & Shields

Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

Edited by The Jabber Tzeentch

4 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I've seen lots of list building with The Glottkin throughout this thread, how have people been finding their builds? I’ve been using variations with him, Marauders and Blightkings etc. Settling on the following list for now, comments and criticism are welcome:

Lord of Plagues (140) - General - Trait: Virulent Contagion   - Artefact: Ghyrstrike

Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

Looks good. The only thing that makes it better is figuring out a way to work Archaon in there.?

5 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

My list for this week is the same, except I'm replacing Maelstrom and Marauders with Gutrot and Cogs.  The last time I played marauders they just got eaten alive.    Everyone has wizards now so blades and fleshy abundance are unreliable.  I also haven't had much luck with Glottkin in general. My playgroup always targets him, so he basically just soaks up wounds and dies.  I don't always play harbinger so that's part of it, but I need to learn how to be more careful with him.  He's crazy squishy. 

In my list I'm playing this weekend, he's basically there because I don't have my GUO painted, I only have 20 blightkings, can't figure out what else to play. I am not sure he's worth 420 points in the list I'm playing.   Looking forward to finishing my Archaon and GUO to run with Glottkin. that sounds fun. 

On 8/7/2018 at 8:19 AM, kenshin620 said:

"Hey what has 4 wheels and flies? A garbage truck!"?

But man imaging a flying GUO thats on fire is hilariously amazing!

Where is the Thermalrider Cloak information?

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

My list for this week is the same, except I'm replacing Maelstrom and Marauders with Gutrot and Cogs.  The last time I played marauders they just got eaten alive.    Everyone has wizards now so blades and fleshy abundance are unreliable.  I also haven't had much luck with Glottkin in general. My playgroup always targets him, so he basically just soaks up wounds and dies.  I don't always play harbinger so that's part of it, but I need to learn how to be more careful with him.  He's crazy squishy. 

In my list I'm playing this weekend, he's basically there because I don't have my GUO painted, I only have 20 blightkings, can't figure out what else to play. I am not sure he's worth 420 points in the list I'm playing.   Looking forward to finishing my Archaon and GUO to run with Glottkin. that sounds fun. 

Yeah I do tend to agree, but these are the models I have so try to make them work as best they can. I find that with Glottkin it’s best to take the muttergrub to have four total spells, this gives your opponent more to think about dispelling unless they have a lot of magic too.

But to be honest if they focus on the marauders and Glottkin that allows the rest of the list to do their stuff well. 

• Like 1

This is the most recent version of the list that I’ve been working on, Nurgle / Pestilens with loads of CP for extra attacks shenanigans and battleshock avoidance, Brooch for hopefully getting a few back. Marauders and PP to help cover ground and block me getting shafted by deepstrike. C&C welcome, I’ll report back once I’ve had a bash. 

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Plague Furnace (180)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes and Shields

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1850 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 187

51 minutes ago, Marucho said:

Hey fellows.

I got my GUO today. This probably has been already asked but: Which setup do you run your GUO?

I probably would go for Bell and Dagger, but also thinking about Bell and Flail.

Anny tips from you veterans?

Either GUO Bell and blade or Rotigus. Sword is worthless IMO because after rolling for hits/wounds, you're looking at 1 save at best and ultimately it just doesn't play to the GUO's strengths. 

You can also quite easily magnetise it as I have, but I've only played it bell and blade so far!

• Like 1

Has anyone run Epidemius? I've go the model unpainted and wonder about his value. Its pretty easy to take out 14 models with all of our 1D3 spells and mortal wounds aimed at hordes, which gives every friendly Nurgle unit rerolling hits and wounds of 1, but on the flip side he's 200 points and once he's dead, the buffs drop.

17 minutes ago, Euphanism said:

Has anyone run Epidemius? I've go the model unpainted and wonder about his value. Its pretty easy to take out 14 models with all of our 1D3 spells and mortal wounds aimed at hordes, which gives every friendly Nurgle unit rerolling hits and wounds of 1, but on the flip side he's 200 points and once he's dead, the buffs drop.

I think thats the biggest issue. 200pts and an army wide buff just screams "Kill me!" and even 7 wounds+DR still isn't that hard to chew through. Hes kind of like a 200pt battalion that doesn't give you an artifact or cp, and can get blasted off the board.

And for a few other units, they can already find ways of rerolling to hits or to wounds like a lord of plagues.

Edited by kenshin620

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Either GUO Bell and blade or Rotigus. Sword is worthless IMO because after rolling for hits/wounds, you're looking at 1 save at best and ultimately it just doesn't play to the GUO's strengths. 

You can also quite easily magnetise it as I have, but I've only played it bell and blade so far!

Yep and if you do not want to magnetize right away, just simply use small dabs of plastic glue (not super glue) for the 2 hands, the head, and the maw. that way, you can get to playing quicker with less effort, and later on when you are ready to try a different config. the pieces will break off easily and you can magnetize. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Euphanism said:

He used to do that? Dang, I missed the boat on that one.

Yup! turned your blightkings into space marines! +1 save across the board..... And when they went from GHB16 to GHB17 my army dropped in points by exactly his amount. What a time to be alive. 

I suppose if you were building a summoning army he would fit right in. Maybe a Tallyband as well you would be generating lots of contagion points if you added in maybe lord of plagues, horticulous, and/or used the "living plague" command trait!

51 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yup! turned your blightkings into space marines! +1 save across the board..... And when they went from GHB16 to GHB17 my army dropped in points by exactly his amount. What a time to be alive. 

I suppose if you were building a summoning army he would fit right in. Maybe a Tallyband as well you would be generating lots of contagion points if you added in maybe lord of plagues, horticulous, and/or used the "living plague" command trait!

I've thought about building a summoning list for Nurgle just to see how it works. It isn't our main strength but drones are great objective grabbers, and a free GUO isn't shabby either.

3 hours ago, Euphanism said:

I've thought about building a summoning list for Nurgle just to see how it works. It isn't our main strength but drones are great objective grabbers, and a free GUO isn't shabby either.

The summoning lists I've built are all geared toward MSUs of plague boys, trees, and the occasional beast. A GUO, at 28 pts isn't realistically going to make it on the table until maybe turn 4. I want him on the table for the whole game. Same for drones. For the points, you'll be eschewing any summoning whatsoever for around 3 turns. Lots of games are decided by then.

• Like 1

so what is the best unit to try  and summon in your opinion?

do you save up your contagion points for a big summon or just spam the small stuff.

I seldom summon myself, usually 3 trees and by that time the game is over tbh.

4 minutes ago, Rift said:

so what is the best unit to try  and summon in your opinion?

do you save up your contagion points for a big summon or just spam the small stuff.

I seldom summon myself, usually 3 trees and by that time the game is over tbh.

Usually, like you, I use my points on trees. However, in a couple games lately, it was necessary to summon a couple of small units of PBs so as to harass a unit on an objective. Ten PBs is a nice addition and, with any luck at all easily make the table turn 2.

12 hours ago, Tasman said:

The summoning lists I've built are all geared toward MSUs of plague boys, trees, and the occasional beast. A GUO, at 28 pts isn't realistically going to make it on the table until maybe turn 4. I want him on the table for the whole game. Same for drones. For the points, you'll be eschewing any summoning whatsoever for around 3 turns. Lots of games are decided by then.

This is my plan, horti (free tree, save points) and a few other contagion tricks then 5 pbs everywhere needed. Roadblocks, objective grabbers, whatever use I can think of. The game is objective based so I've hopes it'll catch a few opponents off guard.

I'll just be hoping some of my 30 pb unit die as I won't have time to paint another 10 until I've got the rest of 2k done.