AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well, 2 Games, One won, One Lost.

1st Game Against khorne he Only Killed 3 putrid blightkings.

2nd Game Against Arkham and a Purple Sun. By Turn 3 I Killed Arkham, and The Rest of His Army would Be deleted by The end of My Next Turn... But Time was Out and he won by Points... So sad

Allegiance: Nurgle - Mortal Realm: Ghyran
LEADERS
Great Unclean One (340) - General - Command Trait : Pestilent Breath  - Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell - Artefact :  The Witherstave  - Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Plagues (140) - Artefact :  Ghyrstrike 
Harbinger of Decay (160) - Artefact :  Rustfang  
Sorcerer (120) - Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
UNITS
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
BATTALIONS
Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)
TOTAL: 2000/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2     WOUNDS: 143

Having trouble coming up with a list for NOVA.  The Plagued Sons (above) was my first real attempt I thought would be solid enough.  However, I keep getting crushed by a DoK Witch horde type army.  He keeps his hags bubble wrapped by 2 sets of 30 witch elves, which manage to do 60-80 attacks each.  I am not very experienced, which I may be making my list appear weaker than its potential.  It also makes we think about other horde type armies (LoN mainly) and if I would be able to handle it.  I guess what I'm wondering is what everyone thinks of the above list?  Should I just keep practicing with it?  Should I tweak it to something similar to the list below?  Should I start from scratch (I have most units either built or in the box for Nurgle)?  Any input is appreciated, I can handle criticism so please be as tough as you can be.

LEADERS
Great Unclean One (340) - General - Command Trait : Pestilent Breath  - Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell - Artefact :  The Witherstave  - Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Plagues (140) - Artefact :  Rustfang  
Festus The Leechlord (140) - Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
UNITS
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Plague Drones (200)
BATTALIONS
Plague Cyst (200)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Balewind Vortex (40)

6 hours ago, Tasman said:

Ok, I was sure that bI read somewhere on here that that was the case..... roll off to see who went first. Where did I miss this now?

Page 3 core rules designer’s commentary. Reading the core rules, I can see why you would think that there would be a roll-off, as there is nothing to indicate the contrary. But there is never a roll off. If both players are 1 drop, whomever wins the choice of sides roll off automatically gets to choose who goes first.

4AF357E3-972E-4DC7-8D57-0802045F81EF.png

5 hours ago, peasant said:

Well, 2 Games, One won, One Lost.

1st Game Against khorne he Only Killed 3 putrid blightkings.

2nd Game Against Arkham and a Purple Sun. By Turn 3 I Killed Arkham, and The Rest of His Army would Be deleted by The end of My Next Turn... But Time was Out and he won by Points... So sad

Playing efficiently is definitely an important skill for armies like ours that benefit from late game. I’ve never even used our summoning yet and the army is still very strong

18 hours ago, BlancoNino said:

LEADERS
Gutrot Spume (140)
UNITS
BATTALIONS
Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

Having trouble coming up with a list for NOVA.  The Plagued Sons (above) was my first real attempt I thought would be solid enough.  However, I keep getting crushed by a DoK Witch horde type army.  He keeps his hags bubble wrapped by 2 sets of 30 witch elves, which manage to do 60-80 attacks each.  I am not very experienced, which I may be making my list appear weaker than its potential.  It also makes we think about other horde type armies (LoN mainly) and if I would be able to handle it.  I guess what I'm wondering is what everyone thinks of the above list?  Should I just keep practicing with it?  Should I tweak it to something similar to the list below?  Should I start from scratch (I have most units either built or in the box for Nurgle)?  Any input is appreciated, I can handle criticism so please be as tough as you can be.

LEADERS
Gutrot Spume (140)
UNITS
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Plague Drones (200)
BATTALIONS
Plague Cyst (200)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Balewind Vortex (40)

On the first list u can try play more defensive, I would play rotigus with sorcerer with 2 spells Artifact, u will force your OPPO to bring down roti and sorcerer as soon as possible since they can kill 1 hero in 1 hero phase with their spells (plagues qual on source) witherstave on harbinger and general trait on the wheel switch for more chances of 3 mortal wounds effects on 1 hero

19 hours ago, BlancoNino said:

LEADERS
Gutrot Spume (140)
UNITS
BATTALIONS
Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

LEADERS
Gutrot Spume (140)
UNITS
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Plague Drones (200)
BATTALIONS
Plague Cyst (200)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Balewind Vortex (40)

I dont think its anything other then the fact that Plague cyst just isnt very competitive. For 200 points, you get re-roll 2s for blightkings (since lop already lets you reroll 1s) and an extra 15% chnace to do d3 mortal wounds 3 times a game..It's simply not a tournament level competitive battalion.  That is... if your intention is to be as competitive as possible. blightkings are the backbone of that army.. but the battalion bonuses (boni??) doesnt do much to support the backbone.  The Lord of Plagues is such a dope character and model. I absolutley LOVE that he chops people up and mulches his garden with there bodies! But if you want to beat some of these harder matchups... in my opinion.. its blight cyst or no battalion. Blight cyst certainly has its weaknesses. nighthaunt is LOL. seraphon too. But most of the time.. rend -1 on blightkings, and ignore cover are just so so much better of a bonus then plague cyst. Plgue cyst should cost more then 120-140 points imo. WAY over costed. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

Finally pulled the trigger on the glott conversion! Sculpting is so much more enjoyable when you have actual sculpting tools and not a combination of a gloved finger and drull bladed hobby knife! Splurged for myself on a set of sculpting tools from Michaels. ($16). Really happy how this is coming out! Tried to make it appear as if glott's body is "accepting" the tree as part of its own. So I lubed up the shaper with oil and really pressed hard to get the imprints of the tree to show through.. then I accentuated and embellished them.

Ethracc will be standing on the small branch on the side. 

glott conversion6.jpg

glott conversion7.jpg

glott conversion8.jpg

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 2

Wow looks great! 

I have a little question. If I for instance play with harbinger of decay, or lord of afflictions, these guys both have a daemonic mount and thus have the daemon keyword. Do they count as nurgle daeomon hero’s? When a beast of nurgle is close to a nurgle daemon hero he gets a +1 to damage. Does the harbinger count considering his keywords?

Thx in advance

the rules for Beast of Nurgle say NURGLE DAEMON HERO in bold, which means its talking about keywords. These are 3 seperate keywords, and Harbinger of Decay has all 3 of them, so yes.  He would trigger that ability. 

Edited by sorokyl

Same with Lord of Afflictions. He has nurgle, demon, and hero keywords. However, @Fluxlord if it simply said "+1 damage if within x" of Nurgle Demon Hero..." that would mean the ability would only proc if the warscroll titled "Nurgle Demon Hero" (which obviously doesnt exist) is within x".

The KEY difference (heh) is the Keyword bold type. If its in all caps and bold (keyword bold) then it's referring to ANY warscroll with those keywords. The HArbinger's Command ability for explane applies to MORTAL NURGLE units. So in order to reciveve the buff, the unit in question must have both the  MORTAL and NURGLE keywords :)

Thanks for the kind words on the conversion @Fluxlord

12 hours ago, calcysimon said:

On the first list u can try play more defensive, I would play rotigus with sorcerer with 2 spells Artifact, u will force your OPPO to bring down roti and sorcerer as soon as possible since they can kill 1 hero in 1 hero phase with their spells (plagues qual on source) witherstave on harbinger and general trait on the wheel switch for more chances of 3 mortal wounds effects on 1 hero

I had tried to play more defensive the last few matches to no avail.  While I like the list, I think I'm going to let it go for now.  The spell focus might work, but DoK and LoN have powerful casters to unbind so it's not garunteed.

11 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I dont think its anything other then the fact that Plague cyst just isnt very competitive. For 200 points, you get re-roll 2s for blightkings (since lop already lets you reroll 1s) and an extra 15% chnace to do d3 mortal wounds 3 times a game..It's simply not a tournament level competitive battalion.  That is... if your intention is to be as competitive as possible. blightkings are the backbone of that army.. but the battalion bonuses (boni??) doesnt do much to support the backbone.  The Lord of Plagues is such a dope character and model. I absolutley LOVE that he chops people up and mulches his garden with there bodies! But if you want to beat some of these harder matchups... in my opinion.. its blight cyst or no battalion. Blight cyst certainly has its weaknesses. nighthaunt is LOL. seraphon too. But most of the time.. rend -1 on blightkings, and ignore cover are just so so much better of a bonus then plague cyst. Plgue cyst should cost more then 120-140 points imo. WAY over costed. 

After thinking about it today I have to agree.  Blightkings are strong, but relying on just their exploding 6s that are easily countered (geminids) and rerolling into them just isn't effective.  Going to give blight cyst a try this week.

After thinking about it today I have to agree.  Blightkings are strong, but relying on just their exploding 6s that are easily countered (geminids) and rerolling into them just isn't effective.  Going to give blight cyst a try this week.

Try the Witherstave on your Harbinger of Decay.   That might help against the Witch Aelves attacks.  It also helps against anything that wants to roll 6s to hit.

5 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

So Blackout and BOBO have been and gone and things seemed very quiet on the Nurgle front. Does anyone have any info on whether any Nurgle lists placed well?

If not, how do we fare against the lists that did well at both events?

Blackout had a nurgle army at #8 and 2 armies in the top 18 (out of nearly 100) and BOBO had nurgle in 7th. Bobo was kind of a weird event in that it wasn’t true 2.0, but I think that nurgle is definitely in the top 5 most competitive armies right now.

12 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Same with Lord of Afflictions. He has nurgle, demon, and hero keywords. However, @Fluxlord if it simply said "+1 damage if within x" of Nurgle Demon Hero..." that would mean the ability would only proc if the warscroll titled "Nurgle Demon Hero" (which obviously doesnt exist) is within x".

The KEY difference (heh) is the Keyword bold type. If its in all caps and bold (keyword bold) then it's referring to ANY warscroll with those keywords. The HArbinger's Command ability for explane applies to MORTAL NURGLE units. So in order to reciveve the buff, the unit in question must have both the  MORTAL and NURGLE keywords :)

Thanks for the kind words on the conversion @Fluxlord

Thx for clearing this up guys!

And as in the words of Boromir in lord of the rings (the scene in Moria where they get shot at the first time) “They have a beast of Nurgel!”

Had points left in my just for fun playlist, so thought about adding the beast of Nurgle as a pet for my army.

10 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

So Blackout and BOBO have been and gone and things seemed very quiet on the Nurgle front. Does anyone have any info on whether any Nurgle lists placed well?

If not, how do we fare against the lists that did well at both events?

I was on table 1 against Ben for game 5 with my Nurgle. Sadly though I played the Scenario pretty poorly and it got away from me. I wanted to bring it home for us but after playing 4 games very well, the heat and exhaustion took it's toll on me :( Debating whether or not to take my Nurgle to Eggs, see if I can grab that one.

8 minutes ago, Carrion King said:

I was on table 1 against Ben for game 5 with my Nurgle. Sadly though I played the Scenario pretty poorly and it got away from me. I wanted to bring it home for us but after playing 4 games very well, the heat and exhaustion took it's toll on me :( Debating whether or not to take my Nurgle to Eggs, see if I can grab that one.

Fantastic result though!

Was a great event although as you say the heat was intense.  I only managed 38 with my Maggotkin after losing 2 games over the weekend (two armies I don't think I could have beaten so pretty happy)

What was the list you were running for the event?

General - GUO

Breath. Gift. Bell. Flail. 

Favoured Poxes.

Rotty

Afflictions

Festus

Plague Squall

Horty.

2 x 30 PB's.

1 x 10 Kings.

Obviously I was 7 drops. I had a tough run of games starting with Seraphon Engine spam, Tony Moore's Daughters, Pano's Khorne, Nagash and Ben Johnson's Nighthaunt!

• Like 1

No slight intended upon anyone with my previous comment. Hopefully that goes without saying. Just an observation based on the lack of chatter of Nurgle in all the main channels.

I have been listening to The Honest Wargamer and the growing theory that AoS2 is moving to a chaff heavy meta where armies need to strongly feature chaff lines to counter alpha strike and the like. Similarly, there's a lot of talk that flying units are key to avoid chaff lines and go towards just targets.

Fortunately for us we have one of the best chaff lines in the game in plaguebearers. They are also battleline too which is an added bonus. 

As for flying units we have Plague drones. I admit to not being very experienced with them, but everyone seems to agree they are excellent. Obviously they need a daemon knocking around to make the most of their attacks. I have taken to list building with a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount who can keep pace with them and trigger the locus. But, he can't fly, so roadblocks may appear. I then had the idea of running a GUO with the Thermalrider Cloak. 

Not only is this a hilarious visual concept, but this allows him to trigger their locus AND with his command ability you get an extra round of attacks with them. 

What do we reckon to this? I understand the cloak comes at the opportunity cost of other items but there may be ways round that with some battallion trickery. 

1 hour ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I then had the idea of running a GUO with the Thermalrider Cloak. 

Not only is this a hilarious visual concept, but this allows him to trigger their locus AND with his command ability you get an extra round of attacks with them.

"Hey what has 4 wheels and flies? A garbage truck!"?

But man imaging a flying GUO thats on fire is hilariously amazing!

• Like 1