AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

18 hours ago, Tuskan said:

Played in a tournament yesterday.  Could have went 3-0 but the second game vs flesh eater courts we ran outta time so it was 9-5 my loss.

My list was the following.

Harbinger (Witherstave, Hideous Visage)

Chaos Sorcerer (Plague Squall)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (Carrion Dirge, Plague Squall)

Lord of Plagues (Lens of Refraction)

4x5  Blight Kings

1x2 Pusgoyle Blight Lords

1x20 Mauraders

Plague Cyst

Blessed Sons

Chromatic Cogs

Balewind Vortex

Played very well.  Second round that I list, none of my spells went off and it cost me heavily.

I didn't have another unit of 5 blightkings, and if I did, they would have done a lot more work than the lords.

Try stacking hideous visage and the dirge on the same hero next time for a bravery bomb! Also instead of doubling up on plague squall which does you NO good, magnificent buboes is an amazing spell and can’t belive it’s not used more. 

32 minutes ago, peasant said:

My list for Wednesday, I will go a separate route this time and explore the long range war. Lord of Blights  CA + Plaguebearers becomes and unkillable wall of rotten flesh! Main strategy is go long range with Rotigus, sorcerer with plague squall, rampant disease and plague claw. Im a little afraid of how they will work because its against IJ and maybe they engage me in T1 without any chance of doing any damage. What do you think guys?

Allegiance: Nurgle

LEADERS

Rotigus (340)

Sorcerer (120)

- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall

Lord of Blights (140)

UNITS

30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Nurglings (100)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

WAR MACHINES

Plagueclaw (160)

TOTAL: 1500/1500

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

WOUNDS: 117

LEADERS: 3/4 BATTLELINES: 3 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/2 ARTILLERY: 1/2 ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/200

Catapult is a thing but I would switch 1 nurglings and catapult with gutrot and 1 more unit of 10 bearers (rotigus cast is not efficient but strong, I like it, but catapult is similar in efficiency, I would play only 1 of the two) 

Artifact? Mutter grub on sorcerer or rustfang on lord? 

19 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

Catapult is a thing but I would switch 1 nurglings and catapult with gutrot and 1 more unit of 10 bearers (rotigus cast is not efficient but strong, I like it, but catapult is similar in efficiency, I would play only 1 of the two) 

Artifact? Mutter grub on sorcerer or rustfang on lord? 

Mmm I see Your point I guess You are Right I need More punch, im Not Sure About The Object, rustfang is My usually Go but maybe I Can try other

Edited by peasant

After delving through this thread I have noticed that the Warscroll Battalion 'Tallyband of Nurgle' is not realy used by anyone. Is it deemed simply not good enough? Too expensive? both? I'm wondering because i realy like the intent of the battalion, namely swarming the table with a lot of Plaguebringers.

The list I made for my first ever foray into AoS looks like this:

Great Unclean One, Doomsday Bell & Bileblade, The Witherstave, Spell: Glorious Afflictions

Spoilpox Scrivener, The Bountiful Swarm

Poxbringer, Pestilent Breath, Spell: Favoured Poxes

30 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

12 Plague Drones

12 Nurglings

Im a 40k player looking to expand into AoS because 2.0 looks very interesting. So basicly I have no idea whats strong and what is not.

Any piece of advice is welcome ;)

13 minutes ago, Requiem_89 said:

After delving through this thread I have noticed that the Warscroll Battalion 'Tallyband of Nurgle' is not realy used by anyone. Is it deemed simply not good enough? Too expensive? both? I'm wondering because i realy like the intent of the battalion, namely swarming the table with a lot of Plaguebringers.

The list I made for my first ever foray into AoS looks like this:

Great Unclean One, Doomsday Bell & Bileblade, The Witherstave, Spell: Glorious Afflictions

Spoilpox Scrivener, The Bountiful Swarm

Poxbringer, Pestilent Breath, Spell: Favoured Poxes

30 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

12 Plague Drones

12 Nurglings

Im a 40k player looking to expand into AoS because 2.0 looks very interesting. So basicly I have no idea whats strong and what is not.

Any piece of advice is welcome ;)

Wow those are 2900 Points! Spoilpox is Bad, Very Bad, Your Only Source of Damage  The plague Drones  Because The Plague bearers are incapable of Doing any real harm to The Enemy.

My Advice is to try to assemble a 1k List, 2 Big units of Plague bearers, 2 poxbringers and 1 Plague sorcerer

31 minutes ago, Requiem_89 said:

Did I miscount? It should be 2k.  

Putting your list into the Warscroll Builder, it should be 2680 points.

2640 if you clump together a few more Plaguebearers into a second unit of 30.

8 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

I don’t think I’d take more than 1 unit of 30 plaguebearers.  Maaaaybe 2 but when you can summon a unit into the game, why would I want more?

Because for the Tallyband you need 7 units in any combination of Plague Drones and Plaguebearers for the ability to work

13 minutes ago, Requiem_89 said:

Because for the Tallyband you need 7 units in any combination of Plague Drones and Plaguebearers for the ability to work

That’s why the tallyband isn’t taken then. Too much redundancy and or too expensive if you go the drone route

5 hours ago, peasant said:

My list for Wednesday, I will go a separate route this time and explore the long range war. Lord of Blights  CA + Plaguebearers becomes and unkillable wall of rotten flesh! Main strategy is go long range with Rotigus, sorcerer with plague squall, rampant disease and plague claw. Im a little afraid of how they will work because its against IJ and maybe they engage me in T1 without any chance of doing any damage. What do you think guys?

LEADERS

Rotigus (340)

Sorcerer (120)

- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall

Lord of Blights (140)

UNITS

30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Nurglings (100)

WAR MACHINES

Plagueclaw (160)

TOTAL: 1500/1500

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

WOUNDS: 117

LEADERS: 3/4 BATTLELINES: 3 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/2 ARTILLERY: 1/2 ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/200

What spell are you going to give Rotigus?

Not a fan of catapults in a tournament setting.  I swear to God it’s the only piece in the entire game with an arbitrary “fluff dictates how it works” rule that unfortunately makes it useless against a fairly popular at the moment army.

3 minutes ago, Darkfine said:

Not a fan of catapults in a tournament setting.  I swear to God it’s the only piece in the entire game with an arbitrary “fluff dictates how it works” rule that unfortunately makes it useless against a fairly popular at the moment army.

Color me thick.... which army are you referring to?

14 minutes ago, Avvien said:

Yes, you can! - You just need to grab any artefacts or traits that Tamurkhan's requires you to use.

Just to clarify....the command trait MUST be the Tamurkhans but only the FIRST artefact you choose must be the Tamurkhans. Recently it was pointed out to me that the allegiance ability (-1 to enemy run and charge rolls) is VERY usefull for denying summoned charges as they would need a 10 on 2d6 without any buffs to their own rolls. Rolling a ten on 2d6 is 17% versus a nine on 2d6 which is a 28% chance. 

@Tasman I am assuming he means a monster mash army with multiple large models. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

10 hours ago, Dew said:

All this Pestilens talk, I had wondered about the catapults.

Are they worth anything? Do anything?

I like the idea of having some no LoS required artillery shooting stuff long range while the rest of Nurgle does work. Haven't really invested much time or research into them though

As a Pestilens player, I've found three simple steps for maximizing the effect of Plagueclaw Catapults in matches: 

1) Put your Plagueclaw Catapults in a box

2) Leave that box at home when you leave for a match

3) Just spend those points on more Plague Monks instead 

Haven't tried running Nurgle allegiance yet, but I assume the general principle holds true. They outperform their point cost in 10% of matches, break in even in another 10%, are disappointing in 30%, and are completely useless the remaining 50% of the time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, peasant said:

One Question: Can I use tamurkhans allegiance and Still Benefit of nurgle traits like Cycle of corruption, summoning, etc.?

19 minutes ago, Avvien said:

Yes, you can! - You just need to grab any artefacts or traits that Tamurkhan's requires you to use.

To put it in a way, Tamurkhan's Horde is what all the current armies (aside from Night Haunt) have, mini subfactions that give you a benefit but puts a Command Trait and Artifact "tax".

I would not be surprised if most Mega Battalions (with a name, there are others that are far more generic) start to turn into these mini factions like The Blessed Sons or The Munificent Wanderers.

Really into the idea of a Pestilens  list at the moment, current thinking is a Congregation of Filth for less drops, a CP, the 6+ for the Monks and re-rolling of charges. Extra attack for Monks with VC command ability and then Blades for extra MW shenanigans. GUO in to throw some spells out and look cool. Item on VC to smash heroes. Any thoughts very welcome. 

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Plague Furnace (180)
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Battalions
Congregation of Filth (170)

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 176

8 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Really into the idea of a Pestilens  list at the moment, current thinking is a Congregation of Filth for less drops, a CP, the 6+ for the Monks and re-rolling of charges. Extra attack for Monks with VC command ability and then Blades for extra MW shenanigans. GUO in to throw some spells out and look cool. Item on VC to smash heroes. Any thoughts very welcome. 

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Battalions
Congregation of Filth (170)

I think it has been determined that if you take Allegiance: Nurgle, then you won't be able to take any battalions from the Pestilens book (refer back to the Plaguetouched Warband discussion earlier in the thread) because all units in a Pestilens battalion are Pestilens allegiance. I could be wrong.

Edit: I am not sure how this interaction works. I don't have the books in front of me, but IIRC the Plaguetouched Warband can't be selected with Nurgle Allegiance because it's an Everchosen battalion (so all units within the battalion have Everchosen allegiance). The result is that the units in the battalion would need to be included as allies, and we simply don't have enough ally points to fit all that. However in this scenario, I don't think Pestilens are even available to ally because they are simply nurgle also. So I don't know how it works.

Remember when Games Workshop decided to make Warhammer Fantasy a simple game?

Edited by Domowoj

Ah yeah cheers, do remember that, all the Pestilens would count as Allies then(?) and so it’d be over 400 points. Ah well. Would probably just spend those points on another 20 Plaguebearers instead. Was just listening to The Honest Wargamer episode with the Australian #1 Skaven player and he mentioned CoF in Nurgle as a thing so promptly robbed his idea. If anyone knows I’d be grateful. 

13 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Ah yeah cheers, do remember that, all the Pestilens would count as Allies then(?) and so it’d be over 400 points. Ah well. Would probably just spend those points on another 20 Plaguebearers instead. Was just listening to The Honest Wargamer episode with the Australian #1 Skaven player and he mentioned CoF in Nurgle as a thing so promptly robbed his idea. If anyone knows I’d be grateful. 

You can play the Pestilens units in a Nurgle force without them being allies (they have the Nurgle keyword). Its the question if you can play the Battalion in a Nurgle list; based on the way Plaguetouched now works, it seems doubtful.