AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well Slimux isn’t about making summoning viable, it is just about efficiency.  He drops a tree turn one which will over the 5 turn game generate between 5 and 15 points with an average of about 10.  Those points equal on average about 80 build points which makes him a 140 model.  When you consider his stat line and abilities that makes him a great buy regardless of other factors.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Darkfine said:

Well Slimux isn’t about making summoning viable, it is just about efficiency.  He drops a tree turn one which will over the 5 turn game generate between 5 and 15 points with an average of about 10.  Those points equal on average about 80 build points which makes him a 140 model.  When you consider his stat line and abilities that makes him a great buy regardless of other factors.

Fair argument. Although likely hood it might not work out like that, as the trees are easily negated. But each to their own :) it’s just my opinion. 

Edited by NurglesFirstChosen

Ive Finished The Tournament! My First Tournament Ever and was a Fantastic Experience, One Day of play, Go to Eat with Other Players... So a Very Positive Experience. I Finished 4th of 24 so is Not bad for me. I picked refraction Lens as AN artifact and Played Against 2 khorne and 1 nighthaunt Player:)

My List

Guo

Gutrot

2x5 putrid blightkings

3 Plague drones

Game 1 nightHaunt. Nurgle Models All are That Remains by Turn 4,Pirrís blightkings Were The kings of The battlefield. Lady olynder was slain Only with Magic and Missiles from Plague drones is Very Fragile, but Can deliver a Lot of MW. Only 2 putrid blightkings dead. Major victory

Game 2. Khorne, Wrath of khorne, 30 bloodletters and Blood Stoker. No Mystery Here bloodletters crossed Battlefield in 1 Turn and slaying My GUO, bloodthirster in Only One round finished My Plague drones, I conceded in 2nd Turn. Major defeat

Game 3. Khorne Again, this Time mortals. I Made a mistake My GUO charged His wrathmongers and She started to Attack herself! Luckyly She remained alive! A Mighty lord of khorne attacked The GUO Too... And survived! In The Next Turn GUO destroyed The Enemy commander, and The Next Turn The remainder wrathmongers. Mean While The putrid blightkings and gutrot destroyed units of Blood warriors and bloodreavers, Amazing! 64 wounds and nurgle Only Lost one putrid blightkings! 

I think Next Time I Will Pick witherstave and a Sorcerer with Plague Squall (and rotigus of I Save a Little Money)

I Love My nurgle Army!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peasant said:

Ive Finished The Tournament! My First Tournament Ever and was a Fantastic Experience, One Day of play, Go to Eat with Other Players... So a Very Positive Experience. I Finished 4th of 24 so is Not bad for me. I picked refraction Lens as AN artifact and Played Against 2 khorne and 1 nighthaunt Player:)

My List

Guo

Gutrot

2x5 putrid blightkings

3 Plague drones

Game 1 nightHaunt. Nurgle Models All are That Remains by Turn 4,Pirrís blightkings Were The kings of The battlefield. Lady olynder was slain Only with Magic and Missiles from Plague drones is Very Fragile, but Can deliver a Lot of MW. Only 2 putrid blightkings dead. Major victory

Game 2. Khorne, Wrath of khorne, 30 bloodletters and Blood Stoker. No Mystery Here bloodletters crossed Battlefield in 1 Turn and slaying My GUO, bloodthirster in Only One round finished My Plague drones, I conceded in 2nd Turn. Major defeat

Game 3. Khorne Again, this Time mortals. I Made a mistake My GUO charged His wrathmongers and She started to Attack herself! Luckyly She remained alive! A Mighty lord of khorne attacked The GUO Too... And survived! In The Next Turn GUO destroyed The Enemy commander, and The Next Turn The remainder wrathmongers. Mean While The putrid blightkings and gutrot destroyed units of Blood warriors and bloodreavers, Amazing! 64 wounds and nurgle Only Lost one putrid blightkings! 

I think Next Time I Will Pick witherstave and a Sorcerer with Plague Squall (and rotigus of I Save a Little Money)

I Love My nurgle Army!

Quick question, since I started playing AoS not so long ago, I'm still a noob...

How do you score objectives with such a low number of models? Also, where is your damage coming from? Mostly the GUO?

54 minutes ago, Lazaris said:

Quick question, since I started playing AoS not so long ago, I'm still a noob...

How do you score objectives with such a low number of models? Also, where is your damage coming from? Mostly the GUO?

Yes, low number of models of course is an issue but I usually leave my territory using command points to summon 5 plague bearers or even 1 nurglings base. 

About the source of damage plague drones backed from the GUO are insane number of attacks, the same with the putrid blight kings today one khorne and a night haunt armies were annihilated until the last model only loosing 3 miniatures in the whole 2 games. In 3 combats the kings killed in a round , 4 blood warriors, 4 blood warriors and 13 bloodreavers.

Hi guys, just wondering if the forgeworld plague toads of Nurgle get the disgustingly resilient? I took a look around the maggotkin book and also the tamurkhan list and couldn't see anything. Thought I would ask though in case I missed something.

Thanks in advance for the help!

6 minutes ago, Crispen said:

Hi guys, just wondering if the forgeworld plague toads of Nurgle get the disgustingly resilient? I took a look around the maggotkin book and also the tamurkhan list and couldn't see anything. Thought I would ask though in case I missed something.

Thanks in advance for the help!

No, they got nerfed, they now only have a 4+ against Mortal Wounds so they can now easily be beaten off the table...boo GW, Boo!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Fair argument. Although likely hood it might not work out like that, as the trees are easily negated. But each to their own :) it’s just my opinion. 

Agreed, if you put 5 trees on the table they'll be a hindrance to moving round the table as much as anything else! Plus they get easily nerfed by opponents happy to take the MW risk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

No, they got nerfed, they now only have a 4+ against Mortal Wounds so they can now easily be beaten off the table...boo GW, Boo!!

Technically you should boo the FW rules team! They always seem weirdly separate despite being more legitimate in the past half decade or so. Heck look at the fact that Chaos Dwarves can ally to other chaos factions...but no one can ally to them.

4 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

Agreed, if you put 5 trees on the table they'll be a hindrance to moving round the table as much as anything else! Plus they get easily nerfed by opponents happy to take the MW risk.

The Slimux tree is dropped on top of him turn one, it isn’t getting shut off anytime soon.  You aren’t putting 5 trees on the table, you are putting two.  If you don’t like him don’t play him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've calculated "what I have on the shelf" and came out with a list - how does it look to you guys? Durable and MW all around. How about spells, items etc? Any suggestions?

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
Rotigus (340)
Great Unclean One (340)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
Thricefold Befoulment (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

On the side note, I also have Nurglings, Plague Drones, Archaon and Varanguards in case you have some swapping suggestions :P

That looks great, except for the Harbinger - what's he doing in a list with no other mortals?

And you probably won't need that Poxbringer either, with that many GUO's casting and activating locuses.

Drop those two, and add 20 plaguebearers so you get 2 packs of 30?

Harbinger was an odd choice and a relic of old build that I did not somehow remove 

I thought that Poxbringer could bring even more damage to the table but...

Swapping those two out and maybe putting Drones + Nurgligns for some faster object play would work?

I try to stray away from more Plaguebearers, painting 30 of them already broke my spirit :)

Sure - 3 drones + 3 nurglings would put you at exactly 2000, if you cut the poxbringer and the harbinger.

Maybe leave the nurglings out in favor of +2 command points? You can get pretty far with just the basic command abilities, like re-rolling charges or ignoring battleshock.

For your artefacts I'd check out The Witherstave + The Endless Gift, since you get a second one from the battalion :)

Edited by Avvien

8 hours ago, Darkfine said:

The Slimux tree is dropped on top of him turn one, it isn’t getting shut off anytime soon.  You aren’t putting 5 trees on the table, you are putting two.  If you don’t like him don’t play him.

Yup. I like the idea of having a tree that can't be denied right off the hop..... That being said, I still haven't been able to put together a list that I like enough to put him on the table..... is he really worth those points?

Played in a tournament yesterday.  Could have went 3-0 but the second game vs flesh eater courts we ran outta time so it was 9-5 my loss.

My list was the following.

Harbinger (Witherstave, Hideous Visage)

Chaos Sorcerer (Plague Squall)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (Carrion Dirge, Plague Squall)

Lord of Plagues (Lens of Refraction)

4x5  Blight Kings

1x2 Pusgoyle Blight Lords

1x20 Mauraders

Plague Cyst

Blessed Sons

Chromatic Cogs

Balewind Vortex

Played very well.  Second round that I list, none of my spells went off and it cost me heavily.

I didn't have another unit of 5 blightkings, and if I did, they would have done a lot more work than the lords.

4 hours ago, Tasman said:

Yup. I like the idea of having a tree that can't be denied right off the hop..... That being said, I still haven't been able to put together a list that I like enough to put him on the table..... is he really worth those points?

Well if we assume he is effectively 140 points and compare him to our other options at that range he is far and away better stat for stat.  His eight wounds and three up/five up make him extremely tanky and he kind of hits like a truck to boot.

Now, he isn’t bringing much to the table after his tree and stats but I’ve found it more than enough.  

Also is should be considered that his tree comes down after deployment and you don’t need to be wholly within 7 to use its run and charge ability.  Which means with a conga line you can have a lot more flexibility with your free tree drop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darkfine said:

Well if we assume he is effectively 140 points and compare him to our other options at that range he is far and away better stat for stat.  His eight wounds and three up/five up make him extremely tanky and he kind of hits like a truck to boot.

Now, he isn’t bringing much to the table after his tree and stats but I’ve found it more than enough.  

Also is should be considered that his tree comes down after deployment and you don’t need to be wholly within 7 to use its run and charge ability.  Which means with a conga line you can have a lot more flexibility with your free tree drop.

Also, I will drop his tree so just a tiny bit is within 3” and place it length wise to really get the most of it. 

Dont forget he BASICALLY auto heals a wound a turn with “in death there is life” only a single model has to die anywhere on the battlefield. Or can heal nearby demon units, including harbinger, pusgoyles, chaos lords on demonic mounts etc. 

he is great. I will always run him if I can fit him in. I recently started rolling with 10 knights and usually a chaos lord on demonic mount for that SWEEEET command ability. So I had to bump him. But he is awesome especially when run with a horse-ish unit like maruaders or plaguebearers as Target saturation that hits hard and provides rend!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

I've calculated "what I have on the shelf" and came out with a list - how does it look to you guys? Durable and MW all around. How about spells, items etc? Any suggestions?

Great Unclean One (340)
Rotigus (340)
Great Unclean One (340)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
Thricefold Befoulment (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

On the side note, I also have Nurglings, Plague Drones, Archaon and Varanguards in case you have some swapping suggestions :P

Dig the list!  I’d love to roll a Thrice Fold list but am gun shy about dropping another 300 bucks for one list.

As for the list itself you could look at the following, it occurs to me the lists bellow aren’t actually in your line up.  In which case making your General the Harbinger and slapping Rustfang in his hands is probably were I would go!  Don’t like Nurglings or Drones and Archie and Company definitely want their own list!

00CD972F-2D66-4244-AD51-49D7E01FFA5A.png

0CAB9C88-08C5-45DA-89CC-E1F92C72B697.png

98165FC4-E5E1-4F1C-9098-4E178BB9FC41.png

Edited by Darkfine

All this Pestilens talk, I had wondered about the catapults.

Are they worth anything? Do anything?

I like the idea of having some no LoS required artillery shooting stuff long range while the rest of Nurgle does work. Haven't really invested much time or research into them though

My list for Wednesday, I will go a separate route this time and explore the long range war. Lord of Blights  CA + Plaguebearers becomes and unkillable wall of rotten flesh! Main strategy is go long range with Rotigus, sorcerer with plague squall, rampant disease and plague claw. Im a little afraid of how they will work because its against IJ and maybe they engage me in T1 without any chance of doing any damage. What do you think guys?

LEADERS

Rotigus (340)

Sorcerer (120)

- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall

Lord of Blights (140)

UNITS

30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Nurglings (100)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

WAR MACHINES

Plagueclaw (160)

TOTAL: 1500/1500

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

WOUNDS: 117

LEADERS: 3/4 BATTLELINES: 3 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/2 ARTILLERY: 1/2 ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/200

Edited by peasant