AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Sure! With 1 harbinger and 3x5 kings, you've got just the right size for them all to be covered by Morbid Vigour, plus since the harbinger has Daemon keyword, you can give him The Witherstave and make your enemy re-roll all their 6's to hit (very useful, blightkings are not the only unit with shenanigans resulting from 6's to hit). 3x5 stacked kings will also splash each other with virulent discharge, as well as the enemy.

All of that for just 640 points, plus it covers battleline! Throw in some casters (Poxbringer, Sorcerer), and a unit to either hold a backline objective (10 Plaguebearers?) or screen where it's needed (Beast of Nurgle) and you're set!

• Like 1

Thinking about a mixed Nurgle and Pestilens list with lots of bodies. 

GUO with bell and blade

Spoilpox (rule of cool)

Gutrot

Sorcerer

Plague Furnace

30x Plaguebearers

5x Blightkings 

5x Blightkings

40x Plague Monks

Plagueclaw Catapult

+ Endless Spell should be about 1950 I think for extra CP.

Buff up the Monks and Plaguebearers and send them in, Gutrot to deep strike in some Blightkings, Catapult to rain the filth. 162 wounds. Think it’ll work? Cheers. 

17 hours ago, Darkfine said:

I’ve played a few 2.0 games by now and agree on the magic front.  Blades just isn’t something to count on now, or Magic in general outside of Dagger GUOs.

My other observation is summoning has very little impact on the game.  Even late game objective play is tricky.

As sad as it makes me I am pretty sure the top of the heap for us is going to either continue to  be Plaguetouched or maybe something involving Archaon shenanigans.

Really bummed out that Menagerie seemingly isn’t viable and the Maggoth Lords remain over costed.

SO i just played our first test game of AoS 2. Now summoning is free, he just sat around my trees to prevent me getting contagion points. Managed to summon 1 tree and 2 bases of nurglings (which did get me an objective) but i didn't get anywhere near the level  of contagion i got from AoS 1- i frequently finished with 20+ points. 

I also took a chaos sorcerer lord- having 6 drones with blades of putrefaction, re-rolling hits, wounds and saves of 1, with +2 attacks from GUO's ability and proximity was insane.  GOt through about 12 brutes in one round of combat. 

Edited by hughwyeth

23 minutes ago, Dew said:

Haven't had a chance to use my magnetized GUO in AoS yet, is the bell and blade everyone's go-to configuration right now?

I just can't see the point in using anything else. The sword does big damage, but it's 3 attacks, so you're likely to get 1 through every turn. The bell and blade just strengthen what the GUO is already primarily about- being a support character. He's great because he can be dumped in the middle of the fighting and last a long time whilst buffing a load of units around him. His spell is 14", meaning he pretty much has to be in the middle of things to do serious damage with it.

Taking the sword or flail totally forgo his biggest strengths in my opinion. Perhaps someone has a different view?

16 hours ago, brimmstorm said:

(which in turn has turned me off to units that really need it to function, like Monks). 

The monks don't need the blades to function, at all, 25 of them nearly killed Allarielle with +1 to wound from a plague priest and +1 attack from Glottkin.

If you put BoP on them, they will overkill anything they touch

25 minutes ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I recently picked up an EBay auction for Archaon.

What sort of shenanigans can occur from including him in a Maggotkin list?

Have him in a plaguetouched with Glottkin is powerful. Won 1st place at London GT.  Think the guy had 40+10+10 marauders as battleline- now you can only take 20 min, so it wouldn't work with points (and plaguetouched is 60pts more now) but sure you can jostle around and fit it all in!

Ah yeah i remember that doing the rounds a few weeks ago. Powerful list no doubt but I wouldn't field an army of marauders if I had a gun to my head. Those models are simply awful. I couldn't bring myself to paint ten of them let alone sixty!

Slightly off topic but people seem fairly confident that the Everchosen batallions are remaining the same beyond a points increase. Has anyone actually clapped eyes on the new text yet or is just assumptions at this point?

2 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Ah yeah i remember that doing the rounds a few weeks ago. Powerful list no doubt but I wouldn't field an army of marauders if I had a gun to my head. Those models are simply awful. I couldn't bring myself to paint ten of them let alone sixty!

Slightly off topic but people seem fairly confident that the Everchosen batallions are remaining the same beyond a points increase. Has anyone actually clapped eyes on the new text yet or is just assumptions at this point?

There was a concern that the new rules about battalions mention something along the lines of not being able to populate a battalion with understrength units, they must be at least their minimum model count, which would ruin the plaguetouched one. I assume they'll errata this in a couple of weeks after launch day as plaguetouched warband is the only one that does this as part of the core part of the battalion. 

22 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Blades was only ever a universal always-take because of the chance to get + to hit from scenery. Now that's not a thing, it's only for pretty specific scenarios- against enemies with high saves for example, we don't have a great chance at damaging them, but blades gives us a little more damage output.

Keep in mind huge blobs of maruaders are cheap,  and have a natural and quite easy to roll +1 to hit. So it not only turns them into mw factory but also negates any -1 to hit from completely neutering blades. I think a horde maruaders army with glotkin, harbinger and some other units tossed in could be a great army.

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

There was a concern that the new rules about battalions mention something along the lines of not being able to populate a battalion with understrength units, they must be at least their minimum model count, which would ruin the plaguetouched one. I assume they'll errata this in a couple of weeks after launch day as plaguetouched warband is the only one that does this as part of the core part of the battalion. 

So after discussing this there are multiple issues.

1. Understrength units are described in the rules as a unit you don’t have the models to fill out. If you DO have the the models but CHOOSE not to use them is that still considered understrength?

2. Understrength units rule reference the units warscroll description in its wording. Maruaders warscroll says 10 is the minimum. So if I bring 14.. I’m above the minimum and not understrength. Understrength for maruaders would be 7 marauders...as the minimum on the warscroll’s unit description says 10. So as long as your taking more then the minimum..but even if that’s less then the block of models purchased based on the pinched battle profile..your still good!

3. IF they change the wording in the generals handbook then everything changes.

I think taking 28/30 maruaders for plaguetouched is fine. Taking 7/10 wouldn’t.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Avvien said:

I'll be filling holes in total points with Endless Spells instead. I'm worried about objective-holders though. I haven't seen the new battleplans, but Knife to the Heart requiring 5 models to sit at the back the whole game through is a painful thing for my blightking-heavy army to build lists around, and I am worried we'll have more battleplans like that - ones that require you to set aside lots of points and models to do absolutely nothing for a full game.

I used contagion points to summon some objectives holder's, 5 plagueb for 7 points or 10 for 14 p. S , so u can go on the front with all kings in the army on second- third turn

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LLC said:

I'm confused what 2k  armies should be looking like now.

Can people post their 2k lists? 

Hoping for some mixed daemons and mortals lists

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Great Unclean One (340)
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle(100)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Battalions
Thricefold Befoulment (160)

Total: 2040 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

Battalion cost 120

Guo bell flail and cogs as endless for 60 points, placing sorcerer in a corner in hide casting as far a possible cogs for speed buff, after casting cycle rotation and no range damage spell with cogs bonus spell

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 159

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, peasant said:

anybody has used 30 chaos warriors ?almost same wounds that 15 blightkings but theyseem more defensive absorbing MW at 5+ but less attacks.

Im trying to.decide where to put my money but I cant figure myself hehe

Blightkings are where you want to be, no question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, peasant said:

models are superb!

I agree. I've got 3,500 points of Nurgle stuff by now, and I find the Blightkings kit is by far the best and most exciting. So many amazing bits!

I have 25 blightkings painted and they're all individuals, no two are alike!

• Like 2