AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 minute ago, Zplash said:

I'll take sorcerer + balewind = 160points

Put him out of sight at the end of the table and try to cast every turn plague squall and try to turn the circle 

Worth the 160 points in my eyes 

Yup. Mine, too.?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Avvien said:

There's been a misunderstanding :)

While you don't get a command point for each 50 points spent on a battalion,  you -do- still get 1 extra command point per battalion you've paid for!

That was never in question. But the list you posted had 3 extra commands but was like 1980 or something. 

Well seems most people here think the plague cyst list is ******. Guess I will try it out anyway.

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

the list you posted

Now I think you're confusing me for someone else...

Are you talking about GreenFly's list? It was 1880 (120 undercosted) with a Blight Cyst, so he was right about those 3 bonus points.

And what makes you say most people here think the plague cyst isn't good? - As far as I can tell, the only criticism you've had regards your choice of unit sizes and lack of spellcasters. Nothing at all about the plague cyst...?

I run plague cyst myself. My current 2k list:

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - 200

Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle - 120

Harbinger of Decay - 160

Lord of Plagues - 140

Sorcerer - 120

5x Putrid Blightkings - 160

Plague Cyst - 200

The Blessed Sons - 200

1940/2000

Enough room for some endless spells, if I don't feel like saving that extra command point!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Avvien said:

Are you talking about GreenFly's list? It was 1880 (120 undercosted) with a Blight Cyst, so he was right about those 3 bonus points.

And what makes you say most people here think the plague cyst isn't good? - As far as I can tell, the only criticism you've had regards your choice of unit sizes and lack of spellcasters. Nothing at all about the plague cyst...?

Harbinger of Decay - 160

Lord of Plagues - 140

Sorcerer - 120

Plague Cyst - 200

The Blessed Sons - 200

1940/2000

Enough room for some endless spells, if I don't feel like saving that extra command point!

That looks good.

• Thanks 1

Tempted by a monster themed nurgle army now that we have the full updates.

Wrote the following this evening:

Harbinger of Decay (General) (Hideous Visage) 

Great Unclean One (Glorious Afflictions) (Witherstave) (Bell/Blade)

Glottkin (Blades of Putrefaction)

40 Nurgle Marauders (Axe/Shield)

20 Nurgle Marauders (Axe/Shield)

Nurgle Chaos Mammoth

Nurgle Chaos Mammoth

Army uses speed and board control to maximum effect. Swarming the board and putting the opponent under pressure fast. 

Multiple bravery debuffs should help the Glottkin's -1 to hit work and also cause real battleshock problems. 

Aim to get models in both territories fast to summon plaguebearers to block or hold objectives if needed.

Would be great to hear folks thoughts!

7 minutes ago, WeeDaveSoutar said:

While I always bring The Witherstave to my own lists, here's a cool idea I've been wanting to try for a Great Unclean One if I ever lose my mind and actually buy one of those expensive blubber-mountains: What about giving him the Sword of Judgement artefact from Malign Sorcery, Ulgu Realm?

You could then have his Host of Nurglings attack dealing D6 Mortal Wounds! ?

Edited by Avvien
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, WeeDaveSoutar said:

Tempted by a monster themed nurgle army now that we have the full updates.

Wrote the following this evening:

Harbinger of Decay (General) (Hideous Visage) 

Glottkin (Blades of Putrefaction)

40 Nurgle Marauders (Axe/Shield)

Nurgle Chaos Mammoth

Nurgle Chaos Mammoth

Army uses speed and board control to maximum effect. Swarming the board and putting the opponent under pressure fast. 

Multiple bravery debuffs should help the Glottkin's -1 to hit work and also cause real battleshock problems. 

Aim to get models in both territories fast to summon plaguebearers to block or hold objectives if needed.

Would be great to hear folks thoughts!

I was thinking of bravery bombing w mammoths too but didn't know if it would count as ally because of the wording.  Isn't it something like choose a mark on setup? If you can take 2 as nurgle units I want to add a few msu plague monks and take tamurkhans horde to make sure I get the charge w mammoths.

2 hours ago, Avvien said:

Harbinger of Decay - 160

Lord of Plagues - 140

Sorcerer - 120

Plague Cyst - 200

The Blessed Sons - 200

1940/2000

I guess I don’t understand when you can’t have multiple discharge or horribly contagious rolls. Wouldn’t you want a bigger unit for csl buffs? Also a list without gutrot is simply not as competetive as it could be with him in it. Just my opinion. 

My list for first 2k 2. Edition matches:

GUO (bell/blade) (favoured poxes) (witherstaves) (grandfathers blessing)

Rotigus (glorious affliction)

Glottkin (blades)

Sorcerer (plague squall)

Gutrod Spume

30x plaguebearers

10x plaguebearers 

5x blightkings

Balewind 

= 2000 points 

No batallion

Idea: HOLD THE DOOR with the plaguebearers + buffs/debuffs and Start asap hurting those important enemy support heros in the backfield with out of sight mortal wounds (plague squall/deluge of nurgle/wheel spell). On the other hand summonig further plaguebearers asap to block even longer.  Spume als blightkings work as contagion point Generator and enough Potential to distract enemy. 

All in all i wont kill a ****** with this list but thats not the aim. I like the idea of these resilient plague buggers Holding ground like for ever while the big guys and the caster heavy rest function like attillery and caster defense. 

Using the strength of nurgle daemon. Winning the match on the long term.

PS: i dont want to play that 25 blightking lists... and i love the rotigus model...

Ty for your Feedback guys.

Glottkin seems a little out of place in that list - Maybe a third GUO instead, so that you can run Thricefold Befoulment? It's really strong! - You already have 1 GUO plus Rotigus, after all, and I'm sure your Glottkin model could be used as a stand-in for the last GUO?

Glottkins spell is powerfull to buff the 30x Plaguebearers (= 60 wounds) + command ability in the right Situation can win a match.

He can dish out some nice dmg by its own + healing from  e.g. GUO he can outlive some dmg.

Dont forget about his ability-1 hit if you Hit it for units within 6".

So all the stuff i want for my "defensive" army idea.

Plus he will distract enemies too. Its not too bad he dies ~3. round.

Thrice befoulment... I thought about it. But with onöy beeing able to try to cast the wind spell once per herophase i dont see the Power in it.

Maybe the 2. Artefact would be the best thing in this batallion.

Or do i miss something?

(Besides that NOT OK price of the GUO -.- )

16 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Glottkins spell is powerfull to buff the 30x Plaguebearers (= 60 wounds) + command ability in the right Situation can win a match.

He can dish out some nice dmg by its own + healing from  e.g. GUO he can outlive some dmg.

Dont forget about his ability-1 hit if you Hit it for units within 6".

So all the stuff i want for my "defensive" army idea.

Plus he will distract enemies too. Its not too bad he dies ~3. round.

Thrice befoulment... I thought about it. But with onöy beeing able to try to cast the wind spell once per herophase i dont see the Power in it.

Maybe the 2. Artefact would be the best thing in this batallion.

Or do i miss something?

(Besides that NOT OK price of the GUO -.- )

3d3 mortal wounds to several enemy units is VERY strong. Along side deluge, rampant disease and other spells..its quite good. Also the sunderblade artifact from gyran would be dope in a thricefold list! Just use Gltokin as the third GUO. 

About YOUR list though. I dont like favoured poxes on a GUO because if you get it on a juicy target.. you gimp yourself TWO casts. and Cant move. I usually stick FP on a poxbringer with witherstave so even if he immobile he can debuff the enemy in a 12"  bubble. And is balewind for the extra LOS for plague squall? The 6" range boost is useless for squall and I think cogs would be better choice for flexibility. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

About YOUR list though. I dont like favoured poxes on a GUO because if you get it on a juicy target.. you gimp yourself TWO casts. and Cant move. I usually stick FP on a poxbringer with witherstave so even if he immobile he can debuff the enemy in a 12"  bubble. And is balewind for the extra LOS for plague squall? The 6" range boost is useless for squall and I think cogs would be better choice for flexibility. 

Thx for the Feedback.

My thoughts were as following:

Balewind is only for the 2nd cast on sorcerer: plague squall and foul regenesis.  The extra range is not necessary its only the cheapest way (40 points) to get a second cast.

No points left for cogs (maybe without glottkin).

I got your point about the poxes on GUO and i agree it works better on a poxbringer. Still i plan to decide on the Situation if i want to break poxes and cast 2 spells or not. Combat still works with continuing poxes, right?

I will take a closer look at the thrice befoulment batallion and also play some games with glottkin to get a feeling how my theory crafting works.

Without glottkin i would also lose the Chance to cast blades on my 30 plague bearers... idea was to get it one Time through and than use stacked CPs of glottkin and GUO command ability on plaguebearers and wreck the enemy which are in range to the PB's.  

I know at this Time only a Lot of theory crafting. I will give u Feedback after i had my first games in my group :)

Edited by Zplash

@Zplash Awesome! Sorry for thge mix up .. I thought BWV was 60 points.. not 40. I get the idea now and that works great! Crazy that for 20 points more cogs is just so much better!! Yes All actions are ok just remmeber.. that charges, pile in's and retreats count as moves as well. so you can basically shoot and fight but thats all in terms of not undoing favoured poxes. Good luck and let us know your findings!

17 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

Decided to do my first bit of converting and thought, with the change to Tamurkhan's, to get some fellwater troggoths into bile troggoths. Anyone have any experience using them? 

IMG_20180705_075130.jpg.b5edc0082253b5aa2b6eda8e70684479.jpg

Those look great, I’m also interested in how Tamurkhan’s Horde works in AOS 2.0? Can anyone explain it to me? You can have NURGLE and TH allegiance? Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZaelART said:

Those look great, I’m also interested in how Tamurkhan’s Horde works in AOS 2.0? Can anyone explain it to me? You can have NURGLE and TH allegiance? Thanks.

Tamurkhan's Horde is now a "subfaction" of Nurgle, much like the newer books such as Daughters of Khaine or Stormcast Eternals where you get additional rules on top of the Nurgle allegiance (such as bile troll battleline) but you must also first use the Tamurkhan artifact.

HOWEVER I just found a hilarious RAW error.

The actual Tamurkhan's Horde text refers to the Maggotkin of Nurgle allegiance. There is no Maggotkin of Nurgle allegiance much like there is no such thing as a Blades of Khorne allegiance. So RAW, you can't actually use Tamurkhan's Horde allegiance! Not only are new players confused that the chaos tomes aren't the name of the allegiance, but FW as well!

(RAI, They meant to say Nurgle allegiance)

5 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

The glottkin is both a mortal and a rotbringer, so he gets to pick 1 spell from each lore, I believe. 

I think the battletome says you can only pick 1 spell from lore spells but you can choose with glottkin between the mortal and rotbringer ones. 

I would like to be wrong on that topic :D but i think thats quite clear wording in the tome 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Zplash said:

I would like to be wrong on that topic :D but i think thats quite clear wording in the tome 

You're not wrong!

"If they qualify for more than one table, pick which one to use"

On to something completely different, what's the state of the old Rotbringers battalion, Blightguard?

It still has a matched play point cost, even in the updated warscroll builder, but it's not listed anywhere in GHB18. Is it no longer legal for matched play?

On 7/4/2018 at 8:47 PM, Avvien said:

Why run the kings as 10 rather than 5, especially when playing plague cyst? - You're reducing yourself to 6 chances at d3 Mortal Wounds from Virulent Discharge/Horribly Contagious, when you could instead have 12.

Those also heal your own stuff - Having 6 units of blightkings healing each other and everything else up to 6 times is a lot!

That mechanic is not like that, each unit that is affected from discharge roll 1 time the dice

On 7/4/2018 at 11:09 PM, Zplash said:

I'll take sorcerer + balewind = 160points

Put him out of sight at the end of the table and try to cast every turn plague squall and try to turn the circle 

Worth the 160 points in my eyes 

That's something I will try for sure, he will be in cover too and in sight of 90%map,nice shot there, thx

46 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

That's something I will try for sure, he will be in cover too and in sight of 90%map,nice shot there, thx

Hm,  why you want him "in sight" of 90% map? 

I will try to keep him out of sight for everyone to give no chances for unbind tries of enemy casters... this 30" range is hugh now. 

LOS is still required for an unbind try, right?

In the GH2017 rules it was clear stated. In the new rules it says nothing about LOS for unbinding... makes me feel little bit uncomfortable...

Edited by Zplash