AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I've found Gnarlmaws summon awsome for two things (one which hasn't been mentioned):

1. Drop behind a runner to allow them to charge (this has been my primary use and has won many games)

2. Surprise super distant summon.  I use to save 120 pts (don't need to know - yay) for a unit of 10 plaguebearers.  The trick is to save up points (14 for the now free 5 pb) and do a double summon.  Drop a tree 12" away from a hero or other tree, then a the unit 12" away from that tree to hit an objective 24" away.  Could also do a double tree drop for 36" summon :)

Plague cyst could be fun. Horty tends the garden to brings the demons on ASAP and tanks hits. Gutrot and ten kings (dirty mike and the boys) ambush. LoP and a harbinger bring twenty!! kings to the party..letting them roll two dice for proximity mortal wounds in hero phase, and re roll all hits is nice. Harbinger makes them tough as nails and debuffs hit rolls with wittherstaff. Warriors either stay at home base or screen. 

LoP gets an artifact. Couple options and I can’t decide. The Subderblade could be good to stack another proximity d3 mortal wounds.

Gyhrestrike makes him a beast in combat. 5+ d6 hits for d3 damage...

Hypersnsre seeds seem really fun. 

Rustfang is never a bad choice..especially with blightkings. 

Would like ipinions on the on the list and artifacts for lord of plagues.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders

Lord of Plagues (140)

- General

- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 

Harbinger of Decay (160)

- Artefact: The Witherstave 

Gutrot Spume (140)

Horticulous Slimux (220)

Battleline

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

10 x Chaos Warriors (180)

- Hand Weapon & Shield

- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Plague Cyst (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Wounds: 169

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

13 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Plague cyst could be fun. Horty tends the garden to brings the demons on ASAP and tanks hits. Gutrot and ten kings (dirty mike and the boys) ambush. LoP and a harbinger bring twenty!! kings to the party..letting them roll two dice for proximity mortal wounds in hero phase, and re roll all hits is nice. Harbinger makes them tough as nails and debuffs hit rolls with wittherstaff. Warriors either stay at home base or screen. 

LoP gets an artifact. Couple options and I can’t decide. The Subderblade could be good to stack another proximity d3 mortal wounds.

Gyhrestrike makes him a beast in combat. 5+ d6 hits for d3 damage...

Hypersnsre seeds seem really fun. 

Rustfang is never a bad choice..especially with blightkings. 

Would like ipinions on the on the list and artifacts for lord of plagues.

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders

Lord of Plagues (140)

- General

- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 

Harbinger of Decay (160)

- Artefact: The Witherstave 

Gutrot Spume (140)

Horticulous Slimux (220)

Battleline

10 x Chaos Warriors (180)

- Hand Weapon & Shield

- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Plague Cyst (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Wounds: 169

You have no wizards.

• Like 1

Why run the kings as 10 rather than 5, especially when playing plague cyst? - You're reducing yourself to 6 chances at d3 Mortal Wounds from Virulent Discharge/Horribly Contagious, when you could instead have 12.

Those also heal your own stuff - Having 6 units of blightkings healing each other and everything else up to 6 times is a lot!

Fecundity to all, brothers!

I continue to run blight cyst + blades build in new edition. There my new modified list, awaiting for tests.

Army name: Favoured Sons

Realm: Hysh

Leaders:

Harbinger of Decay (general, trait: resilient; artifact: Aetherquartz Brooch) @ 160 pts

Lord of Blights (artifact: rustfang) @ 140 pts

Festus the Leechlord (spell: Blades of Putrification) @ 140 pts

The Glottkin (spell: Blades of Putrification) @ 420 pts

Units:

5x Putrid Blightkings @ 160 pts

30x Plaguebearers @ 320 pts

Battalions:

Blight Cyst @ 220 pts

1880 pts total

3 extra CP

Edited by GreenFly

4 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

....and?  I didn’t know second edition required a wizard in your army..

u will know it when purple sun will smash your ranks and nobody will be able to dispel it ?

Edited by GreenFly

39 minutes ago, Avvien said:

Why run the kings as 10 rather than 5, especially when playing plague cyst? - You're reducing yourself to 6 chances at d3 Mortal Wounds from Virulent Discharge/Horribly Contagious, when you could instead have 12.

Those also heal your own stuff - Having 6 units of blightkings healing each other and everything else up to 6 times is a lot!

Virulent discharge doesn’t give you extra rolls for having multiple units in range. Says “any” units in range. So even 5 units of blightkings is one discharge roll. I figured horribly contagious is one roll as well. 

1 minute ago, Injuryprone said:

Well for starters, to manipulate the wheel and dispell endless spells.

I can manipulate the wheel with grandfathers blessing. Endless spells are either backfield buffs or gimmicky predatory spells I can move away from me if I need.

1 minute ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If you are relying on the cycle of corruption to win games I feel bad for you. 

Lol. In one turn u need +2 to move, in other +1 to wound, sometimes u need D3 heal or force opponent to reroll 6 towound. Without solid control of cycle u loose many options and probably can lost a game. 

2 minutes ago, GreenFly said:

Lol. In one turn u need +2 to move, in other +1 to wound, sometimes u need D3 heal or force opponent to reroll 6 towound. Without solid control of cycle u loose many options and probably can lost a game. 

I have found in several test games, having SOME magic is not enough. It gets shut down completely. I felt I had wasted several hundred points trying to get spells off. I went four turns with average rolls getting everything unbound by magic strong armies. So I decided to invest my points elsewhere instead of maybe getting a spell off. It wasn’t worth it to me. This edition has made magic an all in or nothing at all Imo.

29 minutes ago, GreenFly said:

Get it. 

I don't agree.... maybe it's harder to get any spells off, but I sure as Hell wanna be able to deny some of my opponents spells with that 30" range for unbinding. I don't particularly like just sweeping my stuff off the table to spell damage without at least TRYING to stop some of them.....

57 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You don’t get extra command points for spending points on battalions. Check the faq.

Where is this? It states in the core rules under "Command Abilities" that you get one command point for each war scroll battalion in your army. There is no change to this in the Designers commentary as pertaining to Command Abilities.

23 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Where is this? It states in the core rules under "Command Abilities" that you get one command point for each war scroll battalion in your army. There is no change to this in the Designers commentary as pertaining to Command Abilities.

Core rules designers commentery, last question. You have to not include those points at all to get the command points. 

7264D315-17E7-4964-BFFF-5B3D9BB643BE.png

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

Just now, Avvien said:

There's been a misunderstanding :)

While you don't get a command point for each 50 points spent on a battalion,  you -do- still get 1 extra command point per battalion you've paid for!

Absolutely. Thank you.