AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

Give it some time, I think you'll start seeing them pop up. Archaon is incredible in khorne and tzeentch, and someone was discussing some good results in... either the tzeentch or S2D thread. Marauders also work well everywhere and solidly beat out pretty much every god marked battleline, so I expect to see them show up in tournament lists as well.

Totally true and sad :D

@sal4m4nd3r

Really liked your write up! Some friends of mine are going to LGT and they had 2 Teams full and one Team at3 players... so they roped me in. that means I have to do a LOT of training to actually learn AoS properly, but I don't intend to win, just have a good time as I have a very poor Maggotkin collection. I might post my current list here to see what you can think of to improve it, witht he caveat that I am sure it's a terrible list but money and my Masters course will keep me from expanding it big time in the future :D

Actually here's the list so far. No Relics yet as I haven't really figured that side out. I think i'll be taking Munifcent Wanderers from the new WotE book, but not 100% yet cos I think it locks you into a subpar relic?

Leaders
Great Unlcean One  w/Bell and Bile Blade - 340
Fecula Flyblown & the Wurmspat - 180

Poxbringer - 120
Harbinger of Decay - 160

Battleline
30x Plaguebearer - 320
10x Putrid Blightkings - 320
5x Putrid Blightkings - 160

Other Units
6x Plague Drones - 400

The vague plan is to use the PBs as a big anvil, especially with the Munificent Command Ability that does mortals if they are attacked in Melee, whilst using Fecula as a tanky wizard (she can pass wounds off to her bodyguard) to use Blades on the Drones or Blightkings - whichever unit needs it more. Harbinge is there to hit the DR onthe BKs if they need it, otherwise that CP will be used by the GUO to give the Drones Grandfather's Joy  - Poxbrigner is doing Locus duties. It's probably a shambles of a list, but the rest of my collections is basically - all the other smaller heroes for nurgle (No Glottkin or maggoth) and Rotigus, 9 nurgling bases, and some Slaves to Darkness stuff. I could be tempted to swing elsewhere with units but I am not painting 80 or even 40 marauders!

Edited by DynamicCalories
  • Like 1

@DynamicCalories

Nonsense! You are on the right track. And Nurgle is a great tool to have in a team tournament to be able to absorb a hard hitting alpha/aggressive list. You’ll do great! Let’s dive into that list. 

First off, if you’re including just ten kings in the list, I would definitely go with spume over the harbinger. I think spume is so overlooked in modern nurgle lists. He effectively doubles your summoning in turn two by being the enemy territory, makes you opponent deploy differently, gives you an option to immediately threaten backfield objectives, and with a native +1 to charge needing an 8 on the dice with ten kings turn one can be amazing. He can also go toe to toe with any hero in the game being able to remove a weapon profile every phase on 4+! And his attack profile is surprising Killy at 4 attacks 3/2/-2/2! 

if you’re going munificent Wanderers you might want to stack debuffs on opponent and also stack revives on yourself to really maximize that reflect potential! There are a couple options to synergize in this way. 

I think tallyband is finally back in play! Combine with emerald lifeswarm and they could be reviving 2d3 each turn!

Lord of blights is great on plaguebearers. Especially if you go spume over harbinger. He can hide behind the GUO to! Gift of contagion fecula has another similar effect and favored poxes! Stack those debuffs! Redundancy is my favorite playstyle. 

lastly I think Be’lakor is such an unbelievably good ally in almost any nurgle list so consider him for sure. Everything he does is good and loses nothing by not having the nurgle keyword as he could have it to begin with!

Don’t hesitate to ask more questions or even pm if you like 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grucha said:

What do you guys think about my Epidemius conversion/kitbash? I really want one in my blightcyst, the old model is just so meeeeeeh

All I need to do now is to get a base and glue some nurglings on it to carry him :)

epidemius.jpg

That's vile I love it. I see Blightking bits and Beast of Nurgle bits aplenty. 

9 minutes ago, Oceanic_Eyes said:

That's vile I love it. I see Blightking bits and Beast of Nurgle bits aplenty. 

Thank you! Blightkings, Beasts of Nurgle, Blightlords standard, Chaos knight's spears, GUO's tongue, Plagueclaw's "claw" as a throne... :D I used everything I could, basically!

Hi fellows rotten friends.

As a former Nurgle competitive player, I played a lot a Drone Strike list back in the days meta was still manageable for that kind of army. With the release of Wrath of the Everchosen, I seriously consider getting back to it.

Here is the first list I came up with, what do you guys think:

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Droning Guard

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: Rotwing Commander
- Artefact: Cloak of Flies
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- Artefact: The Witherstave

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

I would love to find the points for a Rotbringer Sorcerer since Blades of Putrefaction is almost the only real damage output around here, but the LoA seems mandatory to have a Daemon Hero able to keep up with the Drones.

Anyway, open to any feedback,

Thanks!

Edited by Peegee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peegee said:

Hi fellows rotten friends.

As a former Nurgle competitive player, I played a lot a Drone Strike list back in the days meta was still manageable for that kind of army. With the release of Wrath of the Everchosen, I seriously consider getting back to it.

Here is the first list I came up with, what do you guys think:

- Host of Chaos: Droning Guard

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: Rotwing Commander
- Artefact: Cloak of Flies
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Afflictions (200)

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 119

I would love to find the points for a Rotbringer Sorcerer since Blades of Putrefaction is almost the only real damage output around here, but the LoA seems mandatory to have a Daemon Hero able to keep up with the Drones.

Anyway, open to any feedback,

Thanks!

Great list and great idea! I think the tallyband requires 4 units of plaguebearers though.

6 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Great list and great idea! I think the tallyband requires 4 units of plaguebearers though.

Its 4 units of plaguebearers or / and drones ;) so it's a valid list. 

My first thought was why is he adding tallyband anyway but after thinking about it, it is quite useful. Extra CP and second artefact (which always should be the witherstave) lower drops and at least little bit healing. 

If the list is strong enough without blades to kill anything I don't know. In my games the drones always didn't do much dmg even buffed up (only blades without hit debuffs works with them). So im not sure how the new sub factions helps us with dmg dealing. On the other hand it helps getting more tanky for sure :)

Hey guys, I've been getting back into warhammer for the past 8 or so months since last playing back in 6th edition. I've meddled with both stormcast and nurgle and have decided to focus on my nurgle force and practice improving my game sense and tactics. 

I've mainly been playing as a mortal nurgle army, mostly a rotbringer force. I want to experiment with some demons and I know plague drones seem to be rated as a pretty core unit for demon armies.  One question I did have about them is that the warscroll says the drones attack with either their probiscous or their mouthparts. Do you need to choose which attack to use or can you use both attack profiles?

Edited by Boomboombilly

1 hour ago, Boomboombilly said:

Hey guys, I've been getting back into warhammer for the past 8 or so months since last playing back in 6th edition. I've meddled with both stormcast and nurgle and have decided to focus on my nurgle force and practice improving my game sense and tactics. 

I've mainly been playing as a mortal nurgle army, mostly a rotbringer force. I want to experiment with some demons and I know plague drones seem to be rated as a pretty core unit for demon armies.  One question I did have about them is that the warscroll says the drones attack with either their probiscous or their mouthparts. Do you need to choose which attack to use or can you use both attack profiles?

I believe it’s dependent on how they are modelled - foul mouthparts are the smaller heads, proboscis is the long trunk heads 

2 hours ago, Zplash said:

Its 4 units of plaguebearers or / and drones ;) so it's a valid list. 

My first thought was why is he adding tallyband anyway but after thinking about it, it is quite useful. Extra CP and second artefact (which always should be the witherstave) lower drops and at least little bit healing. 

If the list is strong enough without blades to kill anything I don't know. In my games the drones always didn't do much dmg even buffed up (only blades without hit debuffs works with them). So im not sure how the new sub factions helps us with dmg dealing. On the other hand it helps getting more tanky for sure :)

Whoa! Why did I think PBs and drones were keyword bold this ENTIRE TIME??! My tallyband list just got 120 points cheaper. HAH!

@Peegee How about going 1x 9 drones and using those points to rearrange the points. The second set of drones wouldn’t have a reliable locus anyhow. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

@sal4m4nd3r

Any thoughts on this list?  Azyr won't let me add the Blessed Sons battalion but that's what those extra 40 points are for fyi

Edit:  Everyone at my LGS is pretty competitive and most go to LVO every year so I'd like to be able to go toe to toe with them 🙂

Screenshot_20200216-074004_Drive.jpg

Edited by Crowvus

Damn that’s a lot a kings!!! I like the list. Perhaps a bit character heavy and the lack of bodies being an issue for objectives. But that’s just my personal playstyle

I also don’t rate the plague cyst very much. You can be the blessed sons sub faction and just plug in blight cyst for rend on all those blightkings! Swap the lord of plagues for lord of blights and your good to go! 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

I felt kinda bad about the fact that the rotbringer subfactions from Wrath of the Everchosen are kinda meh and then I thought about using the daemon ones. Has anyone thought about using Mumificent Wanderers subfaction together Blight Cyst? For me, looks like it synergises really well all together!

1. Harbinger of Decay and Lord of Affliction both have daemon keyword, making enemies within 3" of them worsen rend by 1 - therefore making blightkings even more durable.

2. You get additional CP for battalion - seems perfect to use it lord of blights CA on plaguebearers/20 blightkings when the time is right.

3. I think that this list suits meta really well - blob of 30 plaguebearers is amazing vs changehost.

- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Blights (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
20 x Putrid Blightkings (580)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 179

55 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Damn that’s a lot a kings!!! I like the list. Perhaps a bit character heavy and the lack of bodies being an issue for objectives. But that’s just my personal playstyle

I also don’t rate the plague cyst very much. You can be the blessed sons sub faction and just plug in blight cyst for rend on all those blightkings! Swap the lord of plagues for lord of blights and your good to go! 

Thanks for the tips!  Also wondering if you see a good way to add Fecula?  Love the model and resilience!

2 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

I believe it’s dependent on how they are modelled - foul mouthparts are the smaller heads, proboscis is the long trunk heads 

That makes sense. It threw me a bit with the wording. Normally there is a bit more substance with the language they use for weapon configurations for a unit, such as being armed with either or. I'm guessing that there is no requirement for all to be armed the same based on that? I'm also making an assumption here based on the weapon profiles that the proboscis are better with the additional attack in conjunction with buffs and spells like blades?

3 hours ago, Crowvus said:

@sal4m4nd3r

Any thoughts on this list?  Azyr won't let me add the Blessed Sons battalion but that's what those extra 40 points are for fyi

Edit:  Everyone at my LGS is pretty competitive and most go to LVO every year so I'd like to be able to go toe to toe with them 🙂

Screenshot_20200216-074004_Drive.jpg

If blessed sons battalion I would recommend trying this one. It's 1 drop with 3 artefacts and 3 CP, so 4 CPs first turn. You got blight cyst in there as well for 3x5 blightkings ;)

LoP has to get the blessed sons arzafecat but can't choose it in the warscroll builder currently. 

- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Lord of Plagues (140)
- Artefact: The Shield of Growths
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)
Plague Cyst (140)
The Blessed Sons (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 167

1 hour ago, Zplash said:

If blessed sons battalion I would recommend trying this one. It's 1 drop with 3 artefacts and 3 CP, so 4 CPs first turn. You got blight cyst in there as well for 3x5 blightkings ;)

LoP has to get the blessed sons arzafecat but can't choose it in the warscroll builder currently. 

- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Lord of Plagues (140)
- Artefact: The Shield of Growths
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes

Battleline

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)
Plague Cyst (140)
The Blessed Sons (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 167

I wont take two battallions as with only one you can cover all the putrids

21 minutes ago, peasant said:

I wont take two battallions as with only one you can cover all the putrids

... But you can't have all the putrids aorund LoP anyway... And tbh plague cyst isn't worth it at all... Only goodie it's needed for blessed sons battalion so you paying 180 points for 2 battalions means 2 Cps 2 artefakts and 1 drop army. And yes LoP and the whole plague cyst is more like a tax cost. 

But within this list everyone is rerolling saves of 1. You got 4 blightkings in plague cyst which you can try to bubble wrap your LoP for the reroll 1s and 2s... And you got 3 blightkings in blight cyst for rend. And don't forget you get the 2 great artefacts whiter stave and rustfang. 

Still everything with 80 marauders is more competetive its just my 2 cents about the blessed sons battalion which was asked for in an older comment ;)

• Like 1