AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 8/21/2019 at 12:55 PM, Kociboss said:

Interesting, I just realized I could basically play AoS right now at 1k points (I ve got plenty of Plaguebearers, drones etc. Could use some of my WH40K conversions as characters).

I ve heard Nurgle / Maggotkin are bad though, correct ? It s all about 2+ Save goblin spam nowadays ?

Not too familiar with Sigmar

It´s pretty much the same as in 40k to be honest: Nurgle defend objectives while other parts of your army go for the kill. Nurgle units are resilient, but they lack true killing power. That is especially true when it comes to battleline units.

I guess that you can still have lots of fun playing Nurgle and that there are still new things to try. Nurgle is not only all of Maggotkin, it´s also every single Daemon that may have the mark of Nurgle as well as every single Slaves to Darkness unit that is allowed to bear the Nurgle keyword as well as all of Skaven´s Clan Pestilens!

So I might be getting back into playing Nurgle properly now, mostly inspired by @sal4m4nd3r's posts! I used to play Daemon or Mix, but I like the mortal builds here. What are people's opinions on 30 bestigors with blades (along with 3 units of BKs)? 60 attacks with blades giving mortal wounds on a 5 seems insanely good?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hughwyeth said:

So I might be getting back into playing Nurgle properly now, mostly inspired by @sal4m4nd3r's posts! I used to play Daemon or Mix, but I like the mortal builds here. What are people's opinions on 30 bestigors with blades (along with 3 units of BKs)? 60 attacks with blades giving mortal wounds on a 5 seems insanely good?

Image result for aww shucks gif

Add in a Bray shaman for the +3" of movement! Well worth the 100 points right there! You could also buy the wildfire taurus  for 80 points (lol). Since endless spells dont count towards the ally cap, you would be right at 400 points. Also, they dont need the tree to run and charge so no need to buy the pestilent throng battalion.  In my experience using them (was only a few weeks, then decided on the contorted epitome...mainly because of the conversion opportunity!!) They were insanely good! The only issue was that I could never get all thirty into combat. But 20 at 240 (vs 30 at 300) wasnt as efficient.  So you NEED to have a CP in your pocket for inspiring presence. 

Also keep in mind that Centigors are like a nurgle missile! 14" base move, add three from bray shaman, run and charge. 5 centigors is 80 points! 10 wounds. 4+ save in combat. Best part is they have 4 attacks a piece and can CHOOSE to have an automatic +1 to hit (any target..not just 10+ models like besties). So 20 attacks that do mortals on 5s, move move 14-17", d6+1 run and charge for 80 points. 4+ save in combat to! 

I think Ill be experimenting with more beasts of chaos, possibly even a pestilent throng after NOVA. Perhaps maybe after LVO for the new ITC season (as Im a total SUCKER for ladder rankings and such..My goal is #1 nurgle for ITC this year)

• Like 1

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to play this list which I am taking to Facehammer GT in 3 weeks time. Or indeed any minor tweaks I could make to it.  I also have 2 trees and a Beast for summoning.

I decided that as Nurgle aren’t very good at killing things, I’d go all anvil. My basic plan was to sit on the home objectives with those two massive units, buff with Glottkin,  shoot from afar with Rotigus and Plague Squall and hope for the best! As you can see this is why I need help! This is the majority of what I have painted, but I also have a Lord of Plagues, Lord of Blights and Gorebeast Chariot available at a push. 

I’m more of a painter than a gamer and have never won more than two games at a tournament. I would at least like to equal this. All feed back much appreciated! Thank you.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
20 x Putrid Blightkings (580)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 171

Here’s some of my putrid lads!

488D54C8-1BD8-47C6-B0DC-19991510521E.jpeg

A1C020FC-7179-4A3F-9CB3-9A2F4871F23E.jpeg

790D6C8E-A5B0-4364-A857-A9A49E7DD8B0.jpeg

610BCE61-320E-467D-BE25-C393AD6D58A1.jpeg

Edited by Percivael
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 4

2 hours ago, frostfire said:

What does a Thricefold Befoulment list look like then?  Just 3 GUOs with plaguebearer spam?  

2x30 plaguebearers 1xspellportal and 3rd battleline up to you... 5 chaos knights or 10 plaguebearers or 20 marauders? Depending on this choice you can choose another endless spell... 

Not too much flexibility in this one. 

16 hours ago, Zplash said:

2x30 plaguebearers 1xspellportal and 3rd battleline up to you... 5 chaos knights or 10 plaguebearers or 20 marauders? Depending on this choice you can choose another endless spell... 

Not too much flexibility in this one. 

I think 30/10/10 plaguebearers and more endless spells and a LoB could be good to. But you would be pinning almost all your hopes of objective capping on one unit of Plaguebearers. Granted they would be -4 to shoot and -2 to hit.. but still. 

@Percivael Amazing models! They look beautiful. I hope you do well at Facehammer GT. As for competitively analyzing your list..

20 man blocks of blightkings rarely do well. I have tried. Most people will point to the huge footprint or that you cant get them all into combat but for me it was just that it is a single unit that needs a single debuff to render nearly 600 point completely ineffective. This is unlike most other armies large blocks of big boys (hearthguard berzerkers for example). I Would suggest splitting the 20 man unti into 2x 10 man blightkings (+60 points), dropping the 5 man unit entirely (-160 = +100) and add in that gorebeast chariot. Its not the most competitive choice, but it does add a bit of speed to the list which is moving 4" a turn. In a game that's one by moving and capturing objectives.. you need some unit that can move quickly and contest, capture,or threaten an objective. Make sure you target horde style units with its charge! If you are looking for more competetive play in the future, seriosuly consider adding gutrot spume to your list with this many blightkings!! As well as a nurgle warshrine. 

Also While the thought of 3 abilities which rain mortal wounds from the sky (rotigus, squall, and the cycle stage 6) I think blades of putrefaction is a better spell for glott. IF it goes off and IF it isnt unbound, thats when you pop his command ability. Make the plaguebearers do 2 attacks a piece doing mortals on 6s! but otherwise, I would save the command point for a RR charge, inspiring presence etc when needed! If you had a regular GUO He could use his command and have the plaguebearers 3 attacks a piece!

Anyway, I like your list. I hope you have a great time! Report back your experience here. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the detailed advice @sal4m4nd3r! I’ll take that on board. I will definitely try blades on Plaguebearers and I needed an excuse to include the Gorebeast chariot which I’ve  spent some time converting. I’ve been thinking of including Spume for a while, I think the only reason I haven’t is I’ve used his body as a conversion on my Harbinger already. 

On the subject of threat and speed, I’ve been thinking of adding some wings to my Harbinger (he’s already a sort of fly centaur tentacley thing) and using him as a Daemon Prince with Nurgle’s Nail. Do you think this would be more useful to me than a Harbinger, given my army’s slowness and lack of command points?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Percivael said:

Thank you so much for the detailed advice @sal4m4nd3r! I’ll take that on board. I will definitely try blades on Plaguebearers and I needed an excuse to include the Gorebeast chariot which I’ve  spent some time converting. I’ve been thinking of including Spume for a while, I think the only reason I haven’t is I’ve used his body as a conversion on my Harbinger already. 

On the subject of threat and speed, I’ve been thinking of adding some wings to my Harbinger (he’s already a sort of fly centaur tentacley thing) and using him as a Daemon Prince with Nurgle’s Nail. Do you think this would be more useful to me than a Harbinger, given my army’s slowness and lack of command points?

Thanks!

I feel you on the spume conversion! I converted him to be my rotbringer sorcerer. Then when the battletome came out and he is auto include (for me.. I think he is that good) I had to re-convert him back to spume. pretty funny. 

I would NOT drop the harbinger for the demon prince. The DP will always disappoint, in my experience. He simply isn't killy enough to warrant removing the witherstave (which is simply to good not to include.) He also will get tossed around by any melee focused character. 

• Thanks 1

@Percivael I forgot to mention that while the harbinger’s command doesn’t apply to the plaguebearers, he is a NURGLE DEMON HERO and DOES ACTIVATE the locus of fecundity for them to RR saves one 1. So as long as Hatbinger is within 7” of SOMETHING he will help. And the 12” witherstave range will further add to defensive measures. 

Anyone going to NOVA??? I’ll be doing the RTT tomorrow and the GT on the weekend! @Dreadmund ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Percivael said:

@sal4m4nd3r How about a Daemon Prince with the Witherstave and essentially use him in a similar role as Harbinger ? Given that I’ll probably be using the Glottkin’s command ability every turn And the DP has 1 extra wound 3+ save etc.  

I would only use glotts command when the situation warrants it. Suppose you got blades off on the plaguebois,  and it didn’t get unbound..that’s when you use it! But otherwise.. while an extra 7-10 attacks on blightkings sounds awesome it would probably equate to 5-7 damage. Perhaps if you whole army is in combat you can pop it..but that 5++ save is so critical to keeping your stuff alive and keeping key components of your opponents force locked in place.

Don’t  drop the harbinger for a demon prince 😁 (from a competitive standpoint) 

@Dreadmund Didn’t know you lived across the pond! I live about 10 mins from the NOVA venue ahah. I’ll be sure to post up some pictures. And updates. Doing the RTT tomorrow as a warm up and gt on Saturday/sun!

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Didn’t know you lived across the pond! I’ll be sure to post up some pictures. And updates. Doing the RTT tomorrow as a warm up and gt on Saturday/sun!

I'll be rooting for you! Which list are you taking? Hope your epitome makes an appearance, love how it turned out.

4 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

I'll be rooting for you! Which list are you taking? Hope your epitome makes an appearance, love how it turned out.

Oh absolutely! Especially with realm spells a full go! No extra command points makes me nervous the most. But I’ll work around it best I can. 

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
The Contorted Epitome (200)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 199

36095A03-A98A-4A38-9190-96C8787A9C75.jpeg

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 3

OK! Well that was completely unexpected. 

I participated in the 36 player RTT at NOVA yesterday. Ended up going 3-0, coming in 1st overall and  winning the damn thing! Came in 4th for battle points.

Top four for battle points were: Daughters of Khaine, Slaanesh, Slaanesh, Nurgle (me), and FEC (feast day).

My games were great. First was against Matt Obringer from BWG group in PA. VERY competitive group. Mission was scorched earth. He played a skaven list, with like this CP generating farm using Thaanquol's command (that gives three heros the ability to use the generic commands for free), and then the verminus allegiance ability to get a cp back on a 5+, the brooch, and the master manipulator trait. So every time Thaanqoul would use his command, he could potentially get 16 CP generated!! Then the clawlord goes nuts with his command giving +1 attack using all those CP (because its uncapped). Luckily for me his rolls were poo and he left the stormvermin unscreened. Marauders with blades crashed into them and took them out.  I took the lead and just summoned to zone out and didnt yield any ground. 

Second game was against a DOPE nighthaunt list. The type of list I would play if I played nighthaunt. LOTS of bladegeist revenants. 30 of them. 30 grimghasts, some chain rasps, shroud guard battalion, reikenor, dreadblade harrows, and knight of shrouds. On total commitment so I lucked out there. I butt rushed him with the marauders on an objective guarded by chain rasps. He attacked my weak flank with the 30 grimghasts. I left only 10 unsupported kings (hubris) and they murdered them. I countered with 10 fully buffed kings and took them out in one go. Rolling 11 6's on 30 attacks will do that o_O. He had a hail mary at the end with 5 bladegiests on a 9" charge on festus guarding my home objective but rolled an 8 for the charge with no cp. 

Last game on table 1 was against a thunderquake star host seraphon list on Three places of power. OOOOF tough matchup. Two bastillions ran up and parked in front of the objective, flanked by terrain. Engine of the gods and Slaan moved behind them onto the objectives. I thought the game was over then and there. I took the third objective, and tried my damndest to best those bastiladon to death and break through. COULDN'T. Tried outflanking with gutrot and charging the slaan. Finally hacked through the skink wall, made it to the slaan, started working on him.. until the rippers swooped in and got him.  Ended up finishing off the Slaan with stage 6 cycle. Festus dispelled his balewind and ran over there. Took a bastiladon solar beam to the face. survived. managed to SOMEHOW claw my way back to tie him on VP's. And since the only unit he killed was gutrot (one blightking of ten had ONE wound left HAH) I took the minor win. 

Looking forward to the GT on Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

10 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

OK! Well that was completely unexpected. 

I participated in the 36 player RTT at NOVA yesterday. Ended up going 3-0, coming in 1st overall and  winning the damn thing! Came in 4th for battle points.

Top four for battle points were: Daughters of Khaine, Slaanesh, Slaanesh, Nurgle (me), and FEC (feast day).

My games were great. First was against Matt Obringer from BWG group in PA. VERY competitive group. Mission was scorched earth. He played a skaven list, with like this CP generating farm using Thaanquol's command (that gives three heros the ability to use the generic commands for free), and then the verminus allegiance ability to get a cp back on a 5+, the brooch, and the master manipulator trait. So every time Thaanqoul would use his command, he could potentially get 16 CP generated!! Then the clawlord goes nuts with his command giving +1 attack using all those CP (because its uncapped). Luckily for me his rolls were poo and he left the stormvermin unscreened. Marauders with blades crashed into them and took them out.  I took the lead and just summoned to zone out and didnt yield any ground. 

Second game was against a DOPE nighthaunt list. The type of list I would play if I played nighthaunt. LOTS of bladegeist revenants. 30 of them. 30 grimghasts, some chain rasps, shroud guard battalion, reikenor, dreadblade harrows, and knight of shrouds. On total commitment so I lucked out there. I butt rushed him with the marauders on an objective guarded by chain rasps. He attacked my weak flank with the 30 grimghasts. I left only 10 unsupported kings (hubris) and they murdered them. I countered with 10 fully buffed kings and took them out in one go. Rolling 11 6's on 30 attacks will do that o_O. He had a hail mary at the end with 5 bladegiests on a 9" charge on festus guarding my home objective but rolled an 8 for the charge with no cp. 

Last game on table 1 was against a thunderquake star host seraphon list on Three places of power. OOOOF tough matchup. Two bastillions ran up and parked in front of the objective, flanked by terrain. Engine of the gods and Slaan moved behind them onto the objectives. I thought the game was over then and there. I took the third objective, and tried my damndest to best those bastiladon to death and break through. COULDN'T. Tried outflanking with gutrot and charging the slaan. Finally hacked through the skink wall, made it to the slaan, started working on him.. until the rippers swooped in and got him.  Ended up finishing off the Slaan with stage 6 cycle. Festus dispelled his balewind and ran over there. Took a bastiladon solar beam to the face. survived. managed to SOMEHOW claw my way back to tie him on VP's. And since the only unit he killed was gutrot (one blightking of ten had ONE wound left HAH) I took the minor win. 

Looking forward to the GT on Saturday. 

Amazing! This makes it hard for me to moan about Nurgle not being top tier 😝

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Good work man! And thanks for the battle reports. I'm setting myself a challenge of getting 40 marauders from un-primed to fully painted this weekend, can't wait to unleash the Marauder/Blades combo myself! Is there anything you'd change for next time now that your list has been tested? How did the epitome perform for you?

Epitome was good. I don’t think the strike last mechanic is as strong for nurgle armies because of so many forms of resiliency. Whether that’s through a unit with butt loads of wounds (blightkings) or DPR (harbinger, demons), or debuffs (plaguebearers). I needed something that can at least put up a fight in the magic phase against Gitz, seraphon, Lon, etc.. So I really value the casting aspect of the warscroll. Unfortunately light and shade on realms aren’t particularly strong but I still utilized some of those spells. LOVED the light of battle spell (inspiring presence in spell form) on my marauders!! 

Two weaknesses in my list. No dedicated home guard unit. And no extra CP..mainly for inspiring presence. Not sure how to fix that other then swapping festus and balewind for 10 chaos warriors (which I’m not going to do now because blades has such a game changing potential!! Especially in shyish where the command ability is +1 attack for a unit!!!!!) but I’ll just have to make those choices as best I can. And it depends on really who my opponent is for sure!

21 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Epitome was good. I don’t think the strike last mechanic is as strong for nurgle armies because of so many forms of resiliency. Whether that’s through a unit with butt loads of wounds (blightkings) or DPR (harbinger, demons), or debuffs (plaguebearers). I needed something that can at least put up a fight in the magic phase against Gitz, seraphon, Lon, etc.. So I really value the casting aspect of the warscroll. Unfortunately light and shade on realms aren’t particularly strong but I still utilized some of those spells. LOVED the light of battle spell (inspiring presence in spell form) on my marauders!! 

Two weaknesses in my list. No dedicated home guard unit. And no extra CP..mainly for inspiring presence. Not sure how to fix that other then swapping festus and balewind for 10 chaos warriors (which I’m not going to do now because blades has such a game changing potential!! Especially in shyish where the command ability is +1 attack for a unit!!!!!) but I’ll just have to make those choices as best I can. And it depends on really who my opponent is for sure!

What about reducing 1 unit of BKs to 5 and deleting balewind (moving Festus is more likely to use his heal ability). This frees you up 200 points. 

I would use those for 1 CP and the pendulum ( to cast with epitome because in my area we don't use realm spells) and with the open 100 points you can add either 5 chaos warriors or something fancy like nurglings (for blocking or tacking units). 

The 1 CP is important due to the high drop count all first strike armys will hurt the marauders very much :)

2 hours ago, Zplash said:

What about reducing 1 unit of BKs to 5 and deleting balewind (moving Festus is more likely to use his heal ability). This frees you up 200 points. 

I would use those for 1 CP and the pendulum ( to cast with epitome because in my area we don't use realm spells) and with the open 100 points you can add either 5 chaos warriors or something fancy like nurglings (for blocking or tacking units). 

The 1 CP is important due to the high drop count all first strike armys will hurt the marauders very much :)

IF I were to drop 5 kings, I would also drop festus and the balewind an entirely and take a GUO. Im very weird and obsessive compulsive about NOT taking minimum sized units. I dont know why. Perhaps is more about taking only 5 blightkings because taking 20 marauders for 120 points, or 10 plaguebois for 120 points isnt as unappealing. 

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

IF I were to drop 5 kings, I would also drop festus and the balewind an entirely and take a GUO. Im very weird and obsessive compulsive about NOT taking minimum sized units. I dont know why. Perhaps is more about taking only 5 blightkings because taking 20 marauders for 120 points, or 10 plaguebois for 120 points isnt as unappealing. 

But with GUO you would miss the blades :)