AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

49 minutes ago, Darkfine said:

40 Skeletons makes for a whole lot of bubble wrap, just can’t physically get to them.  I’m a-okay if the answer is “Nurgle can’t beat LoN before 1250-1500”, just figured I’d pose the question.

I admit, I may have some Skaven blood running through these veins. Here's my thought on dirty Death tricks at low point values...

Festus and Rustfang (140 points).  Land Curse of the Leper and Rustfang on the same skeleton horde.  They go to a 7+ save and (assuming I read the FAQ correctly) stay at 7+ if they are returned to the battlefield.  Non-rend attacks increase wounds by 50%.

Daemon general + Pestilent breath/Bountiful Swarm (cost of the general).  This one is more finesse, but attempts to break a bubble wrap.  Pestilent breath is used to thin the horde, bountiful swarm kills a specific model to create a "formation gap." The goal is to kill enough models (that have to be removed from the formation gap) that someone can get to the hero.

Any wizard (100+ pts). Set the cycle to 5 every turn so that it is 6 every round.  Pick off the necros.

Thanks for the replies!  Keep in mind though I’d only have a single caster at most.

On a side note I hate spells as a solution. The entire system is just Farkle with more consequences(depending on what type of Farkle you are playing).  Admittedly most of that is due to the fact that I typically can’t get more than one spell a game to stick but that’s another problem entirely.

As to the objective thing, that depends a lot on which one is being played and even still between 40 skeletons spread out an inch apart and dogs it isn’t hard for the LoN player to compete.

Looking at a decent blight cyst with Glottkin and some plague monks, I don't think there's much flexibility:

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord of Blights (140)
The Glottkin (420)

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Woe-stave

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

28 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I will never write a *competetive* 2k Nurgle list without first adding gutrot spume and ten Kings. In my mind, when I’m formulating lists I just keep it to 1540 because the 460 is that automatic for me. 

after reading this Im going to order gutrok but do you usually get  your charges with them?

Edited by peasant

14 minutes ago, peasant said:

after reading this Im going to order gutrok but do you usually get  your charges with them?

8” charge is 42% chance on 2d6. I have a reputation in my group for getting this charge off a lot so lol

Two scenarios. He and his band of merry men come in. The Kings make the EIGHT inch charge (plus one to charge on Kings) and do work. I always roll the Kings charge first to make sure if anyone gets in its them.

Or you opponent doesn’t have units near the edge or you fail the charge. On heir turn, Your opponent then either ignores them (never happens and they would be foolish to) or diverts a chunk of their force to deal with them. Good luck with that! And now you have added a wrinkle to any plans they had. 

Its also nice because if your opponent moves away from dirty mike and the boys, then you can move and run, drop a tree if need be and charge! Or now you could summon some demons into their backfield! He just opens up so many options by setting up anywhere on the perimeter.  Counter charging an alpha strike, alpha strike of your own. contesting objectives. 

Ten kings has enough models to thump and stay, but also a decent sized footprint to be able to come in most places.

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

8” charge is 42% chance on 2d6. I have a reputation in my group for getting this charge off a lot so lol

Two scenarios. He and his band of merry men come in. The Kings make the EIGHT inch charge (plus one to charge on Kings) and do work. I always roll the Kings charge first to make sure if anyone gets in its them.

Or you opponent doesn’t have units near the edge or you fail the charge. On heir turn, Your opponent then either ignores them (never happens and they would be foolish to) or diverts a chunk of their force to deal with them. Good luck with that! And now you have added a wrinkle to any plans they had. 

Its also nice because if your opponent moves away from dirty mike and the boys, then you can move and run, drop a tree if need be and charge! Or now you could summon some demons into their backfield! He just opens up so many options by setting up anywhere on the perimeter.  Counter charging an alpha strike, alpha strike of your own. contesting objectives. 

Ten kings has enough models to thump and stay, but also a decent sized footprint to be able to come in most places.

If you're sinking 500 pts into this gambit, you should be buying the chromatic cogs to boost that charge to a 6+ needed on 2d6 (72%).

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Um you can not drop a tree or summon at gutrot since he is not s daemon...

42 minutes ago, Avvien said:

Just use your command point for "Forward to Victory" and those kings will get to re-roll their charge if needed :)

Good call. With chromatic cogs and forward to victory, you can make the trick surprisingly reliable. That said, there's a bunch of other similarly reliable alpha strikes available to other armies so defending against those alpha strikes is going to be a necessary skill.

11 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

As of right now, you can use Glotkin's command ability as many times as you have command points. Simply incredible to lack of fundamental common sense on the part of the rules team. I will be exploiting the HELL out of this oversight until it is corrected. Cant wait for my blightkings to roll up with 60 attacks. maybe add in the plague cyst for re-rolling every missed hit roll. 

This doesn't strike me at all as a loophole/lack of common sense. It's a huge investment on your part to get this working. I'm not sure it would be worth the command points you're spending when there's likely a much more potent combo you could get from multiple character's command abilities.