AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 hours ago, BradReligion said:

@Domowoj, thanks for the run down! I totally see where you're coming from with your criticisms of the LoA's Command Ability being at odds with the bonus of the Battalion. But being honest the LoA is there for 2 reasons: filling out the battalion's requirements to allow me to deep strike, and then making Pusgoyles Battleline. His unique Command Ability didn't factor into my plans at all beyond it being a nice tool to have there if I needed it down the track (sneaking on objectives late in game). 

Its really the deep striking and Battleline status of Pusgoyles that, for me, made the army viable gamewise rather than just a neat modelling project. Being able to deposit 1 or more units T1 right in the opponent's face is a fun tactical approach to the game, and if I end up in their territory its a bonus 3 Contagion Points, putting me at at least 7 halfway through Turn 1. The more and more I generate, the faster I can summon a unit of 20 Plaguebearers which in turn covers the glaring weakness of this army; so few boots on the ground.

Of course the LoA can always use the generic Command Ability to give rerolls to charges instead of the movement boost right?

Here's a backup list that doubles down on the theme...

Lord of Afflictions (General, Witherstave, Grandfather's Blessing)
Lord of Blights
Sorcerer of Nurgle (Blades of Putrefaction)
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
6 x Blight Drones
Affliction Cyst

The battleplan is to try and farm as many Contagion Points early on. By my count I have 4+D3 first turn, followed by 7+D3 Turn 2 if I can keep enemies out of my territory and the one or two units of flies alive in theirs. If I then keep the unit of 4 Pusgoyles on the board with the unit of 6 Drones sandwiching the LoA, with the Gnarlmaw nearby, that's still a whole bunch of movement bonuses there that can feasibly farm for that Turn 1 charge - even moreso if I take the bottom of T1 and at worse play for the double-turn (which of course comes with its own problems). 

Another option is to drop the Battalion completely, start with all the flies on my side of the board, and instead have a unit of 20 Plaguebearers in the army. 

Decisions, decisions.... Regardless though, it'd look very pretty (or heinous) on the board!

It sounds very fun! Something to keep in mind: You get the battleline flies even without the battalion. So do you pay 220 points for a deep-strike ability, a CP, and an artifact? Maybe.

Deepstriking behind an enemy is easily prevented by a savvy opponent, forcing you to set up in front of them, but 9" away. So if you are deepstriking,b a unit of 2 Pusgoyles will be more agile than a unit of 4 (smaller unit footprint will be harder to block-out). Alternatively, a pusgoyle unit with the LoA's CA, and a GUO's bell, will be able to move 19" inches, putting you closer to the enemy potentially than a blocked deep-strike, and certainly in their territory for contagion points. A 5" charge is much easier than a 9" charge.

As far as contagion points, only taking Horticulous in your list is going to help get more than 4+d3 turn 1. And you can reliably get models into the enemy territory without deep-striking turn 1, so you'll be getting that 7 or 6 +d3 turn 2 anyway. (typically you will fail to get 7 contagion points turn 1, and you will sometimes get 14 on turn 2).

As I said above: thematically, I love the idea of a fly army. I would only consider Affliction Cyst in an all-fly army for fun. I don't think it's as competitive as taking a partial fly army with some other components (like more support heroes and a unit of 30 plaguebearers for objective play). So it's up to you. You seem dead-set on an all-fly affliction cyst. So, I would encourage you to take an all-fly Affliction cyst and try it for a few games. If it's not working, then you can tweak it later. Go with your gut!

• Like 1

Got a tournament this weekend and am trying to decide between two lists. I know they're not the most optimal but its what I got model wise.

Glottkin List:

Heroes:

The Glottkin 420

Horticulous Slimux 220

Spoilpox Scrivener 100

Great Unclean One 340

Units:

Plaguebearers x30 320

Plaguebears x30 320

Putrid Blightkings x5 160

Endless Spells:

Soulsnare Shackles 20

Total 1900 for 2 extra command points

Tallyband List:

Heroes:

Great Unclean One 340

Horticulous Slimux 220

Spoilpox Scrivener 100

Poxbringer 120

Units:

Plaguebearers x30 320

Plaguebearers x30 320

Putrid Blightkings x5 160

Plague Drones x3 200

Warscroll Battalion-Tallyband of Nurgle 220

Total:  2000 with 1 extra command point due to battalion.

I'm liking the idea of running the Tallyband for kicks but I'm worried that the loss of Blades of Putrefaction and the extra attack will cripple the list offensively.  I do have a Beast of Nurgle, a 2nd unit of Plague Drones, and a unit of Nurglings. I'm hoping to get some summoning action (hence Slimux) and was thinking of taking the Nurglings instead of Spoilpox in the Tallyband list ( since without stacking attacks and blades the reroll 1s loses it luster) but the combination of having to deploy in cover and more than 9 inches way I think would make them hard to get into enemy territory turn 1.

5 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Maybe I’m just really unlucky but I have real issues getting BoP off in a game. I don’t feel it’s something you can consistently rely on personally. 

It's not you, it's me ...I mean us.

It is definitely not something to rely on as it's basically a coin toss each turn.

That said, we like to dream. Unreliability is not cause to exclude a sorcerer from your list. I usually take Blades in every list I make, and some games never cast it once. But I'm not going to stop taking it; those few times I can use it, it has the potential to swing the round or even the game. If you don't bring BoP, you fail to cast it 100% of the time.

I am not a good example of a practical-minded strategist however. During the 1st iteration of AoS (pre allies rules), I would often run a Blightguard, or other rotbringers list, and I would set aside reinforcement points to summon an Exalted GUO. I couldn't deploy him with the rest of the list, because my BKs wouldn't be battleline. So I would rely on a 9+ cast to bring in a model that was...500 points. I think I only failed ONCE to bring him in before battleround three. So, I am a sucker for magical thinking and saying to myself:  "hey, I can roll that; probability doesn't apply to me."

Is a 120 point sorcerer worth it, if you're only bringing him for Blades? I think this is a tough question. Objectively and out of context, probably not. But context is everything, so I don't have an answer.  What else could you spend those 120 points on? (Used to be, that would buy you a jabberslythe!) 10 Plaguebearers is not worth 120 points in a rotbringers list, and a Sorcerer with blades is often the only desired rotbringer-addition to an all daemon list. In my opinion, 20 Marauders is probably one of the best choices for 120 points. If I am running The Glottkin, I will always take a horde unit (40 marauders, 40 plague monks, or 30 plaguebearers), and I will always take Blades because it bookends so nicely with Fleshy Abundance (casting both on said horde unit).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Domowoj said:

It's not you, it's me ...I mean us.

It is definitely not something to rely on as it's basically a coin toss each turn.

That said, we like to dream. Unreliability is not cause to exclude a sorcerer from your list. I usually take Blades in every list I make, and some games never cast it once. But I'm not going to stop taking it; those few times I can use it, it has the potential to swing the round or even the game. If you don't bring BoP, you fail to cast it 100% of the time.

I am not a good example of a practical-minded strategist however. During the 1st iteration of AoS (pre allies rules), I would often run a Blightguard, or other rotbringers list, and I would set aside reinforcement points to summon an Exalted GUO. I couldn't deploy him with the rest of the list, because my BKs wouldn't be battleline. So I would rely on a 9+ cast to bring in a model that was...500 points. I think I only failed ONCE to bring him in before battleround three. So, I am a sucker for magical thinking and saying to myself:  "hey, I can roll that; probability doesn't apply to me."

Is a 120 point sorcerer worth it, if you're only bringing him for Blades? I think this is a tough question. Objectively and out of context, probably not. But context is everything, so I don't have an answer.  What else could you spend those 120 points on? (Used to be, that would buy you a jabberslythe!) 10 Plaguebearers is not worth 120 points in a rotbringers list, and a Sorcerer with blades is often the only desired rotbringer-addition to an all daemon list. In my opinion, 20 Marauders is probably one of the best choices for 120 points. If I am running The Glottkin, I will always take a horde unit (40 marauders, 40 plague monks, or 30 plaguebearers), and I will always take Blades because it bookends so nicely with Fleshy Abundance (casting both on said horde unit).

Yup. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll give that sorcerer muttergrub and try blades every turn. Then I use him for wheel shenanigans too.

Sooo..are we allowed to take the new Beasts of Chaos Nurgle Battalion and still keep our Maggotkin Allegiance? If so, whats the difference compared to the Plaguetouched Warband? If not, why are these Battalions includes in the BOC Battletome without being able to ally with Maggotkin?

The usefulness of the Battalion seems debatable:

200 Pts., dying Units from the Battalion explode and cause a Mortal Wound on a 2+ for every enemy Unit within 7" (I believe?); everything gets the Nurgle Keyword.

Might at least be a way to add some "cheap" punsh, using Bestigors?

Edited by Primes

Played a 1day tourney and finished high middle (I assume). 2 majors wins (including a tight one against pestilens - tough opponents) and 1 major loss. Total of 20 players.

List was:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Horticulous Slimux (220)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Nurglings (100)
Fecund Rituculturalists (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

Thoughts after:

• I need a bit more oomph (Im not sure blades will be enough) for some opponents
  • Plague squall isn't much worth it
  • Balewind is a distraction rather than any kind of bonus (in the long run)
  • Objective holding can be awkward if I lock some bks down
  • I feel like Pbs would work so much better in 10s if it wasn't for the 10+ 20+ bonus levels
  • I think I'll keep the battalion. It's the cheapest way to get the absolute unit artefact combo of endless gift guo and herald witherstave

Anyone think of any tweaks or suggestions? I quite like the basic structure of this. The aim is to summon as soon as possible and pin the enemy in no mans land or their own zone. I lost (against casting undead with vhordrai) when I let my opponent pin me down.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:48 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

I quite like Festus for Blades, if you sit him near a GUO he can at least make him nigh-unkillable. 

I love Festus. I often don't find room for him in my post-battletome lists for some reason.  I think he is a wonderful accompaniment to The Glottkin as well, who is often not as resilient as a GUO and is unable to be equipped with protective artifacts like Endless Gift or Witherstave.

4 hours ago, Primes said:

Sooo..are we allowed to take the new Beasts of Chaos Nurgle Battalion and still keep our Maggotkin Allegiance? If so, whats the difference compared to the Plaguetouched Warband? If not, why are these Battalions includes in the BOC Battletome without being able to ally with Maggotkin?

The usefulness of the Battalion seems debatable:

200 Pts., dying Units from the Battalion explode and cause a Mortal Wound on a 2+ for every enemy Unit within 7" (I believe?); everything gets the Nurgle Keyword.

Might at least be a way to add some "cheap" punsh, using Bestigors?

I haven't examined the new materials under close scrutiny yet. That said, here's my cursory assessment. Maggotkin have a strong set of allegiance abilities and most of our synergies affect keywords that BoC units lack (MORTAL, DAEMON, PESTILENS, etc). I think we have plenty of options already available to our allegiance and BoC don't really provide any new tools that we were missing. Bestigors are awesomely offensive, but I think we can achieve this same level of fast-hitty-horde with things we already have (Marauders, Monks) and for less points-investiture. I think there are definitely some appropriate situations for synergy. For example, an all nurgle-marked BoC army would benefit from the support of a GUO with a bell or a Lord of Blight's CA.  But if you want to build a competitive list, you are probably going to maximize your keyword synergies. This means that a list with BoC units will probably have to mostly be BoC units and then you need to make a decision between which allegiance ability set makes more sense for your army. I am assuming that the BoC nurgle battalion is the only way to mark BoC units as NURGLE but maybe I'm wrong about this.

I have a large number of BoC units, so I will be continuing to examine the possibilities here moving forward.

2 hours ago, Turragor said:

Played a 1day tourney and finished high middle (I assume). 2 majors wins (including a tight one against pestilens - tough opponents) and 1 major loss. Total of 20 players.

List was:

Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Horticulous Slimux (220)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Nurglings (100)
Fecund Rituculturalists (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

Thoughts after:

• I need a bit more oomph (Im not sure blades will be enough) for some opponents
  • Plague squall isn't much worth it
  • Balewind is a distraction rather than any kind of bonus (in the long run)
  • Objective holding can be awkward if I lock some bks down
  • I feel like Pbs would work so much better in 10s if it wasn't for the 10+ 20+ bonus levels
  • I think I'll keep the battalion. It's the cheapest way to get the absolute unit artefact combo of endless gift guo and herald witherstave

Anyone think of any tweaks or suggestions? I quite like the basic structure of this. The aim is to summon as soon as possible and pin the enemy in no mans land or their own zone. I lost (against casting undead with vhordrai) when I let my opponent pin me down.

Fecund Rituculturalists isn't strictly a bad battalion, but I would tend to consider the cost of the nurglings as part of the battalion. The Chaos Sorc Lord's spell has a slight redundancy with the battalion's affects as well. If you asked me to suggest minimal tweaks to your list, I would suggest switching out the Balewind Vortex for Geminids and switching out the Sorc Lord for either Festus (for fun utility variety), Gutrot (diversionary tactics or capturing backfield objectives), or a LoB (to make use of extra CP and maximize enemy To Hit Debuff with plaguebearers and witherstave).

If you asked me to suggest an overhaul of your list, I would recommend trying out a Tallyband for comparison. Tallyband seems expensive at 220, but I think FR is more expensive if the nurglings don't accomplish anything. Tallyband has a slightly better healing ability than FR and you can fit more of your army into the battalion. Maybe it would look something like this:

GUO

Poxbringer

Horticulous Slimux

Festus the Leechlord

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

30 Plaguebearers

6 Plague Drones

Tallyband

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ciliegioinfiore said:

Hi guys, any suggestions for a 750 pts list?

Do you have miniatures already or any preferences? Daemons? Rotbringers?

At such a low points level I would probably go full-pestilens and load up on cheap Plague Monks without having to take NURGLE battlelines.

But if you want to stay strictly Nurgle allegiance you could try something like:

Harbinger of Decay general

Festus the Leechlord

40 Marauders

5 Chaos Warriors

Warshrine

OR

Harbinger of Decay

Sorcerer (Blades of Putrefaction)

40 Marauders

40 Marauders

Chronomantic Cogs

3 hours ago, Domowoj said:

I love Festus. I often don't find room for him in my post-battletome lists for some reason.  I think he is a wonderful accompaniment to The Glottkin as well, who is often not as resilient as a GUO and is unable to be equipped with protective artifacts like Endless Gift or Witherstave.

I haven't examined the new materials under close scrutiny yet. That said, here's my cursory assessment. Maggotkin have a strong set of allegiance abilities and most of our synergies affect keywords that BoC units lack (MORTAL, DAEMON, PESTILENS, etc). I think we have plenty of options already available to our allegiance and BoC don't really provide any new tools that we were missing. Bestigors are awesomely offensive, but I think we can achieve this same level of fast-hitty-horde with things we already have (Marauders, Monks) and for less points-investiture. I think there are definitely some appropriate situations for synergy. For example, an all nurgle-marked BoC army would benefit from the support of a GUO with a bell or a Lord of Blight's CA.  But if you want to build a competitive list, you are probably going to maximize your keyword synergies. This means that a list with BoC units will probably have to mostly be BoC units and then you need to make a decision between which allegiance ability set makes more sense for your army. I am assuming that the BoC nurgle battalion is the only way to mark BoC units as NURGLE but maybe I'm wrong about this.

I have a large number of BoC units, so I will be continuing to examine the possibilities here moving forward.

Fecund Rituculturalists isn't strictly a bad battalion, but I would tend to consider the cost of the nurglings as part of the battalion. The Chaos Sorc Lord's spell has a slight redundancy with the battalion's affects as well. If you asked me to suggest minimal tweaks to your list, I would suggest switching out the Balewind Vortex for Geminids and switching out the Sorc Lord for either Festus (for fun utility variety), Gutrot (diversionary tactics or capturing backfield objectives), or a LoB (to make use of extra CP and maximize enemy To Hit Debuff with plaguebearers and witherstave).

If you asked me to suggest an overhaul of your list, I would recommend trying out a Tallyband for comparison. Tallyband seems expensive at 220, but I think FR is more expensive if the nurglings don't accomplish anything. Tallyband has a slightly better healing ability than FR and you can fit more of your army into the battalion. Maybe it would look something like this:

GUO

Poxbringer

Horticulous Slimux

Festus the Leechlord

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

30 Plaguebearers

6 Plague Drones

Tallyband

Thanks for input!

I think the Sorcerer lord point is good. Festus might be better there for sure.

What I miss with tallybands is bks, I really like what even 2 units of 5 can bring to the table but I don't want to focus entirely on them and end up going for one of the cysts.

I should check a tallyband out on the table. 

Question for the majority on drones - do ppl find 6 difficult to pile in? The unreliability of blades is worth it with 6 drones getting stuck in but I'd almost prefer 2x3 in some games I've played.

In the list example above it'd let me play the tallyband with 1 less pb unit giving me 120 pts for something else - such as a cheaper objective holding unit and some endless spells.

17 hours ago, Domowoj said:

Good Points - since playing at Throne of Skulls as my first Tournament I often tend to think of Fluffy and Fun Compositions with a competetive Chance rather than strictly max. competetive.  I believe you are right regarding our existing Syngergies in Tournament Play. If someone was already playing a Mix of Deamons/ Skaven/ Mortals or even Tamurkhans Horde, I think Bestigors might still be a nice addition.

I myself am toying with a Tamurkhans Horde List containing the Man himself, 6 Bile Troggoths for Punch, 3x5 Blightkings as Battleline and some Magic Support. Beastmen might be a nice addition, adding Bodys and Punsh.

Best regards

Chris

Hey guys,

What's your thoughts on using Lord of Afflictions as the champion for a path to glory warband? I noticed that in Maggotkin you can take the Lord of Afflictions and 3 followers. So I thought let's get LoA, Harbinger and a unit of PBK. Now i noticed that in the handbook path to glory 2, in the Nurgle section the option of LoA is left out. Could it be that this is to overpowered against other warbands in AOS2, or could i just use the maggotkin book for makin the warband.

I also noticed that if you take a great unclean one you can have 3 followers instead of the 2 given in Maggotkin book. 

Any thoughts?

7 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Hey guys,

What's your thoughts on using Lord of Afflictions as the champion for a path to glory warband? I noticed that in Maggotkin you can take the Lord of Afflictions and 3 followers. So I thought let's get LoA, Harbinger and a unit of PBK. Now i noticed that in the handbook path to glory 2, in the Nurgle section the option of LoA is left out. Could it be that this is to overpowered against other warbands in AOS2, or could i just use the maggotkin book for makin the warband.

I also noticed that if you take a great unclean one you can have 3 followers instead of the 2 given in Maggotkin book. 

Any thoughts?

I use the PtG rules from the battletome now as it's the latest publication (as far as I'm aware!). The LoA wasn't released when PtG2 was released, hence the ommision. I like your LoA, Harbinger and PBK list, not sure on competitiveness but then I feel that's not the point of PtG and that list feels very fluffy and fun to play!

Thx for the response. Yeah, im a sucker for fluff.....

I also feel i can win some games here and there...if i play corrrectly i could have the 5+ save on all my units. Dis res. as a ability of the LoA and the morbid vigor trait of harby on himself and the PBK. Come to think of it, does morbid vigor work on harb himself?

3 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Thx for the response. Yeah, im a sucker for fluff.....

I also feel i can win some games here and there...if i play corrrectly i could have the 5+ save on all my units. Dis res. as a ability of the LoA and the morbid vigor trait of harby on himself and the PBK. Come to think of it, does morbid vigor work on harb himself?

Absolutely.

I want to put Archaon in a 2000 point list, thoughts on this?

Archaon - 660 points

Harbinger of Decay - 160 points

Lord of Blights - 140 points

Sorcerer - 120 points

20 plaguebearers - 240 points

3 x 5 blightkings - 480 points

3 plague drones - 200 points

135 wounds 2000/2000

How about this one instead

Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Archaon (660)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord of Blights (140)
Lord of Plagues (140)
The Glottkin (420)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 139

I want to put Archaon in a 2000 point list, thoughts on this?

Archaon - 660 points

Harbinger of Decay - 160 points

Lord of Blights - 140 points

Sorcerer - 120 points

20 plaguebearers - 240 points

3 x 5 blightkings - 480 points

3 plague drones - 200 points

135 wounds 2000/2000

The problem that there is not so so many synergy around. 3 squads of blightkings with lord of blight and no blightcyst? You don't have good casters, so with good denial you unlikely can cast anything. 20 plaguebearers are not enough, kill 1 and the buff is going down. And just 3 plague drones will do exactly nothing, better take blightcyst. 

Here is my list I am going to use on our local tournament

Archaon (General, Plague squall)

GUO (bilesword and massive blade, Tome of Thousand Poxes)

30xPlaguebearers 

30xPlaguebearers 

5xChaos Warriors (mark of Nurgle)

Allies 

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 

Endless spell - Chromatic Cogs 

1940/2000, 114 wounds

Thing here is that Archaon now can kill on two 4+ any hero or monster. With 5 attacks and after charge it will be very likely. Chaos warriors are for some home scoring and we have additional command point

On 6/21/2018 at 8:05 PM, Infernalslayer said:

Wanted to use some mortal rotbringers in a few 1000 point games to avoid big Plaguebearer hordes since we play in 4x4 tables. Can i fit Harbinger of Decay and Blightkings effectively without hadicapping myself much?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Sure

Hm. Don't know what happened here....

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
Gutrot Spume (140)