AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, GuitaRasmus said:

Quick question; I’m using a Verminlord corruptor in my maggotkin army, and I suddenly realised that the Skaventide battletome has some pretty awesome artefacts and command traits available - can I use these? 

(Specifically artefact: Blistrevous, the living cyst; +2” move, reroll to hit, and command trait Malevolent; reroll 1s to wound. Both of these are available to Clan Pestilens heroes, which the VLC is?) 

You can only use the command traits and Artefacts from the allegiance you are. So you can use a VLC in a nurgle army, but you must use Artefacts from the nurgle book (or malign sorcerer) and command traits from the nurgle book (and if he is the general). He can also be given a spell from the lore of nurgle (from the demons list) because he is a NURGLE DEMON WIZARD.

protip: If you are giving him an artefact the answer is always sword of judgement. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You can only use the command traits and Artefacts from the allegiance you are. So you can use a VLC in a nurgle army, but you must use Artefacts from the nurgle book (or malign sorcerer) and command traits from the nurgle book (and if he is the general). He can also be given a spell from the lore of nurgle (from the demons list) because he is a NURGLE DEMON WIZARD.

protip: If you are giving him an artefact the answer is always sword of judgement. 

Thanks a lot for clarifying. 😊 

Yep, the sword of judgement is cool, but does nothing for him when fighting fegular troops - Ghyrstrike (+1 to hit and wound) really bumps up his damage ouput as well (from 3,89 vs 4+ armour to 5,37) 

Edit; side note; 

I’ve read a lot of your comments in this thread and you seem pretty experienced. Any thoughts on this army list?

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160)
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
The Glottkin (420)
Lord of Afflictions (200)

Battleline

Units
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

The Heroes should be self explanatory - LoA accompanies Pusgoyles, DP accompanies Drones, Glottking wanders forwards and buffs stuff and the Verminlord is a beatstick/sorcerer  

Should I use the remaining 60 pts on an endless spell or an extra command point? Other thoughts? The army is exclusively made of models I like. My local meta is pretty relaxed, but I’d like for it to have at least a little bite. 

Edited by GuitaRasmus

7 minutes ago, GuitaRasmus said:

Thanks a lot for clarifying. 😊 

Yep, the sword of judgement is cool, but does nothing for him when fighting fegular troops - Ghyrstrike (+1 to hit and wound) really bumps up his damage ouput as well (from 3,89 vs 4+ armour to 5,37) 

Edit; side note; 

I’ve read a lot of your comments in this thread and you seem pretty experienced. Any thoughts on this army list?

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160)
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
The Glottkin (420)
Lord of Afflictions (200)

Battleline

Units
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 135

The Heroes should be self explanatory - LoA accompanies Pusgoyles, DP accompanies Drones, Glottking wanders forwards and buffs stuff and the Verminlord is a beatstick/sorcerer  

Should I use the remaining 60 pts on an endless spell or an extra command point? Other thoughts?

I don’t think it’s worth an artefact slot to increase damage 1.5 wounds per combat. Take the SoJ and murder the face of any hero you can. Blast the foot troops with his plague spell. 

Regarding your list..I think it looks like a lot of fun with plenty of tools to deal with a variety of targets. I don’t think pusgoyles are worth their points. They don’t have numbers to hold objectives. And they won’t do enough damage to weaken a unit holding an objective. But I love the models! And they are fun to play with. 

Regarding the lord of afflictions, ineonicaly I think he is better with the drones. He activates the locus and heals them. Give him a rust fang and the drones suddenly (with flirts command) are at +2 attacks with a target unit at -1 to save! Perhaps take out the lords for more drones!

also ditch the demon prince and pickup more blightkings or a warahrine, or a harbinger of decay. Even festus for blades of putrefaction on the drones. And another - save. Really any 160 hero. The demon prince just does nothing. 

Inwouldnt use the VLC as a beat stick. Horse hunt with his spell. Hero hunt with the soj. 

On 7/9/2019 at 9:35 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

I don’t think it’s worth an artefact slot to increase damage 1.5 wounds per combat. Take the SoJ and murder the face of any hero you can. Blast the foot troops with his plague spell. 

Regarding your list..I think it looks like a lot of fun with plenty of tools to deal with a variety of targets. I don’t think pusgoyles are worth their points. They don’t have numbers to hold objectives. And they won’t do enough damage to weaken a unit holding an objective. But I love the models! And they are fun to play with. 

Regarding the lord of afflictions, ineonicaly I think he is better with the drones. He activates the locus and heals them. Give him a rust fang and the drones suddenly (with flirts command) are at +2 attacks with a target unit at -1 to save! Perhaps take out the lords for more drones!

also ditch the demon prince and pickup more blightkings or a warahrine, or a harbinger of decay. Even festus for blades of putrefaction on the drones. And another - save. Really any 160 hero. The demon prince just does nothing. 

Inwouldnt use the VLC as a beat stick. Horse hunt with his spell. Hero hunt with the soj. 

Reg the DP; I know he isn’t crazy good, but he outputs 3,37 against 4+ save - having a 3+ himself, flying 12” and activating the Drones loci, seems pretty good?

Flirts command? 

I know the drones are better than Pusgoyles - I just really really like the models of both units, and I like the variety. I “only” have 3 units of Blight Kings for the same reason. I’ve used a Harbinger many times, but I somehow don’t seem to make him worth it - he needs to be very close to a unit to buff them with the 5+, and he’s very mediocre in combat as well. The Warshrine I’ve thought about, and it gives a cool conversion opportunity, but I’m still working on the concept. 

Interesting points about the VLC; you have some good points.

Any thoughts about using the leftover points for endless spells or command points?

A couple of pics of what I’m working on:

Glottkin;

GK3.jpg

LoA;

LOA1.jpg

I also have a GUO, but I’m not sure if it has a role on the battlefield that the Glottkin doesnt do better;

guo1.jpg

Counts as Verminlord Corruptor (sorcerer, lots of attacks, tongue=tail attacks) ;

MaggothBeast1.jpg

Daemon prince WIP;

DP1.jpg

Also, considering adding Gutrot Spume;

Spume1.jpg

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 3

Switched up from Skaven to Nurgle recently and loving it. Went 3-2 at the Essex GT in Wayland Games, finishing 14th out of 54, so not bad. Won games against LoB, Gloomspite and Stormcast, with hard fought losses against Sylvaneth and Khorne. Was going to take Skaven to Age of Sigmar GT in Nottingham but think I'm going to go with Nurgle now, I enjoy how weird they are to play

Edited by Ratcliff
  • Like 1

Affliction cyst and great unclean one held their own against two bloodthirsters this week.  At the bottom of 3, I was only one Victory Point behind.

The bigger bloodthirster went down quickly when his axe arm was incapacitated by Gutrot.  The smaller bloodthirster devoured the previously assumed inedible GUO.

Wherever the flies showed up, things died.  Wherever they were missing, i took casualties.  The harbinger of decay was notably hard to kill, taking exactly 7 wounds after being pummeled with 60+ attacks and 13+ mortal wounds.

Turn 4 would have turned sour , because it's entirely too easy for them to summon another bloodthirster.   I was running out of tricks.

In all, I made big mistakes costing me the game, but the affiction cyst allowed me to control the battlefield.  Will get better!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ratcliff said:

Switched up from Skaven to Nurgle recently and loving it. Went 3-2 at the Essex GT in Wayland Games, finishing 14th out of 54, so not bad. Won games against LoB, Gloomspite and Stormcast, with hard fought losses against Sylvaneth and Khorne. Was going to take Skaven to Age of Sigmar GT in Nottingham but think I'm going to go with Nurgle now, I enjoy how weird they are to play

We were talking about these results in my competitive is group. I noted your 14th place finish. Well done!!

Mind sharing your list? And also what faction are you abbreviating “LoB?”

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, grungolah said:

Affliction cyst and great unclean one held their own against two bloodthirsters this week.  At the bottom of 3, I was only one Victory Point behind.

The bigger bloodthirster went down quickly when his axe arm was incapacitated by Gutrot.  The smaller bloodthirster devoured the previously assumed inedible GUO.

Wherever the flies showed up, things died.  Wherever they were missing, i took casualties.  The harbinger of decay was notably hard to kill, taking exactly 7 wounds after being pummeled with 60+ attacks and 13+ mortal wounds.

Turn 4 would have turned sour , because it's entirely too easy for them to summon another bloodthirster.   I was running out of tricks.

In all, I made big mistakes costing me the game, but the affiction cyst allowed me to control the battlefield.  Will get better!

Nice to seem someone having success with affliction! How many pusgoyles did you field?

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@GuitaRasmus dude....those conversions are sick!!!! Well don’t man. Damn. LOVE the scheme on the GUO. Is that branch attached attached to the base or the model?

Thanks a lot. :) It's growing out of his back, I thought the model needed something to fill out his silhouette, so I decided to echo the "garden aesthetic". 

If you're interested in more, you can check out my log here: 

Any thoughts about using the last 80 points for an Endless spell or an extra command point? 

We were talking about these results in my competitive is group. I noted your 14th place finish. Well done!!

Mind sharing your list? And also what faction are you abbreviating “LoB?”

LoB is Legion of Blood. Really well painted army by a top bloke called Kevin. Here's my list

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Lord of Blights (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 133

Bear in mind, this was just before Plague Monks got a points increase. Overall happy with how I played, though I made a fair few mistakes and bad decisions. The main problem I have is remembering everything (contagion points, cycle, hero phase stuff etc.), Nurgle really are an army with a few moving parts. But the first game of the tournament was only my 4th game with them, so steadily improving. I'm aiming for a lofty  4-1  at the GT, will have to play loads before then

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Doppleganger cloak on a GUO:  could you choose not to attack in melee and not be attacked in return?  Im thinking it would be a clever way to get favored poxes off on a particularly nasty foe.

Nevermind, doesnt work.

Edited by grungolah
  • Sad 1

Just now, grungolah said:

Doppleganger cloak on a GUO:  could you choose not to attack in melee and not be attacked in return?  Im thinking it would be a clever way to get favored poxes off on a particularly nasty foe.

As far as I know, you have to attack if you're in combat. Fighting won't affect FP anyway, only moving or piling in will

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grungolah said:

I think you have to attack if you are in melee. With cloak you just can't be hit before you have activated in melee, but you have too if everything else in your armee fought 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GuitaRasmus said:

Thanks a lot. :) It's growing out of his back, I thought the model needed something to fill out his silhouette, so I decided to echo the "garden aesthetic". 

If you're interested in more, you can check out my log here: 

Any thoughts about using the last 80 points for an Endless spell or an extra command point? 

I will certainly check this out! I did a similar thing using an entire citadel tree growing off my glottkin. Here is a link to my instagram post showcasing it ^_^ If anyone posts an instagram handle in this thread, you get an automatic follow from me! Mine is @Alexandria_arborist. Keep in mind I do post about models and warhammer, but also trees and native plants to the Washington DC area, as I am an arborist and naturalist by profession. 

@Ratcliff Holy smokes dude. To get that high up with tallyband build is impressive! Can you explain your strategy!? I assume the lob was hurling flies at the plaguebearers. The guo played support and hoppon on hero objectives. The plaguebearers camped objectives and tarpitted. Monks did their thing. I havent had much success with monks in a nurgle list. I'm also terrified of using geminids and having them come back on me... then again I play blightkings. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • LOVE IT! 1

I will certainly check this out! I did a similar thing using an entire citadel tree growing off my glottkin. Here is a link to my instagram post showcasing it ^_^ If anyone posts an instagram handle in this thread, you get an automatic follow from me! Mine is @Alexandria_arborist. Keep in mind I do post about models and warhammer, but also trees and native plants to the Washington DC area, as I am an arborist and naturalist by profession. 

@Ratcliff Holy smokes dude. To get that high up with tallyband build is impressive! Can you explain your strategy!? I assume the lob was hurling flies at the plaguebearers. The guo played support and hoppon on hero objectives. The plaguebearers camped objectives and tarpitted. Monks did their thing. I havent had much success with monks in a nurgle list. I'm also terrified of using geminids and having them come back on me... then again I play blightkings. 

Yeah, the combo of witherstave, LoB command ability and plaguebearers led to quite a few frustrated folk who simply couldn't chew through what I had. I killed very little (the second least amount of kill points in the entire tournament) only destroying about 700 pts of units. My strategy was attrition and throwing heavy modifiers on my opponents' best units. I would use the spell portal early on to hit something big and nasty with Favoured poxes or Glorious Afflictions (a great way to keep a dragon out of the game if it starts behind a conga line). Other than that, a healthy dose of screening and positioning. I never really used the drones properly, and I think I'm going to take them out. 

Monks are great now with +1 to their runs and charges with the Doom gong, can nuke a unit early on with the tree and if you were running them in a list with Blades of Putrefaction, they would be insane. They can reroll all hit rolls now, not just failed ones. It's a shame about the Tallyband, like everything Nurgle, it's almost punitively overpriced but it's actually a decent battallion for what it offers. If it was a bit cheaper, or required minimum 3 non-leader units instead of 4, it would be great

7 hours ago, Zplash said:

I think you have to attack if you are in melee. With cloak you just can't be hit before you have activated in melee, but you have too if everything else in your armee fought 

That was my quick conclusion as well.   Just digging through books figuring how to survive a zombie dragon w/lord, striking first & attacking twice.  

@RatcliffI was running a quite similar tallyband but without monks (because I don't like cheese haha) therefore I had 2 blocks of 30 plaguebearers and 2 poxbringers for 2 favored poxes mostly one on the left side and one on the right side. It was a 2 drop list with Lob plus Tallyband. So tactic was to take first turn ran up the 2x30 plaguebearers on objectives give them flies and have the poxbringers in their mid for that sweet poxes and of course support GUO where you need the witherstave the most.

It won games but as you mentioned you won't kill anything :D without monks even less haha

It's a very nurgly style to play and the reason why I own 70 plaguebearers haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zplash said:

@RatcliffI was running a quite similar tallyband but without monks (because I don't like cheese haha) therefore I had 2 blocks of 30 plaguebearers and 2 poxbringers for 2 favored poxes mostly one on the left side and one on the right side. It was a 2 drop list with Lob plus Tallyband. So tactic was to take first turn ran up the 2x30 plaguebearers on objectives give them flies and have the poxbringers in their mid for that sweet poxes and of course support GUO where you need the witherstave the most.

It won games but as you mentioned you won't kill anything :D without monks even less haha

It's a very nurgly style to play and the reason why I own 70 plaguebearers haha 

Sounds like a tough list. I'm really starting to think that I don't really need the Monks either, and looking at ways I might replace them. Two Poxbringers is an interesting idea. The key to Nurgle is to keep it low drop, they play brilliantly in certain missions as long as they go first and you can establish board control early. Been looking at a Daemon Prince with Thermalrider cloak to be a slingshotting summoning beacon, might be an idea I explore in my next few games

1 hour ago, Ratcliff said:

Sounds like a tough list. I'm really starting to think that I don't really need the Monks either, and looking at ways I might replace them. Two Poxbringers is an interesting idea. The key to Nurgle is to keep it low drop, they play brilliantly in certain missions as long as they go first and you can establish board control early. Been looking at a Daemon Prince with Thermalrider cloak to be a slingshotting summoning beacon, might be an idea I explore in my next few games

Daemon prince also triggers locus of your drones which could be cool at a flank. But it will increase your drops and a first turn is crucial with this list type :/

19 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Daemon prince also triggers locus of your drones which could be cool at a flank. But it will increase your drops and a first turn is crucial with this list type :/

Aye, but he'd merely be replacing the Monks, so it stays at 3 drop which I find is usually enough. I have resolved to make this a 4-1 army, I really think it's possible. I just love the playstyle of Nurgle, tough as boots, hit like a gentle breeze. You have to play the game completely differently with them 

Edited by Ratcliff

3 hours ago, Ratcliff said:

Aye, but he'd merely be replacing the Monks, so it stays at 3 drop which I find is usually enough. I have resolved to make this a 4-1 army, I really think it's possible. I just love the playstyle of Nurgle, tough as boots, hit like a gentle breeze. You have to play the game completely differently with them 

If you get in the groove it really is the pacifists choice of army, the huge soft-in-the-head kid in the playground who cant really be bullied and never retaliates.

Like Hodor maybe.

Grandfather HODOR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

If you get in the groove it really is the pacifists choice of army, the huge soft-in-the-head kid in the playground who cant really be bullied and never retaliates.

Like Hodor maybe.

Grandfather HODOR

Aaaaannnd you don't care about the activation war :D