AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Worried about our gardening options moving forward. 10 pieces of terrain all pushed in 6" from the edges.

Outside of 9" of enemies, 6" of terrain and 3" of objectives sounds like little to no room for Gnarlmaws.

Edited by Eldarain

7 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Worried about our gardening options moving forward. 10 pieces of terrain all pushed in 6" from the edges.

Outside of 9" of enemies, 6" of terrain and 3" of objectives sounds like little to no room for Gnarlmaws.

That rule is totally stupid

Yesterday on miniwargaming they discussed how it is wrong as rule for about 20 minutes, immagine gnarlholes... Goblin shrine ecc ecc

They will change it in days

Edited by calcysimon
  • Like 1

Pretty disappointed in our point drops... doesnt feel like it changes anything and though magoth lords and flies are cheaper they still not worth considering which sucks as they are awesome models.

Thing is the vermin lord is still better than bloab and lord of affliction still doesn't have enough damage output for 200pts niether are 2 blightlords 40 pts better than 5 blightkings... was hoping both would drop to 180pts at most.

The other units that droped would rather require warcroll rewrites than points adjustments imo.

No Glottkin changes are disappointing, guess he'll stay on my self. I was hoping to ally him in my Clan Pestilins force I'm working on.

I suspect these point changes won't be enough to really change anything meaningfully. They're in the right direction but just not enough. A lot will depend on what they do with the newer battletomes in the upcoming FAQ/Errata. 

43 minutes ago, Forrix said:

No Glottkin changes are disappointing, guess he'll stay on my self. I was hoping to ally him in my Clan Pestilins force I'm working on.

I think the potential of Glottkin being allied into Skaven is one of the main reasons he didn't get a discount.

I agree that these are good points changes, but won't actually change much. Thricefold and Blight Cyst still seem to be the best 2 ways to build an army, and Thricefold has actually gotten a little worse because of the spellportals change restricting what you can fill the third battleline slot with. I was torn between Thricefold and Blight Cyst before the book, and I'm still torn lol.

I'm a little concerned about the new faction terrain placement rules. Feels like it will make it much harder to use gnarlmaws to reliably get the run and charge buff. I used to use Gnarlmaws to block off areas and help assert board control and that looks like it will be much harder too. I'm looking forward to having the book in front of me to review them properly. Also looking forward to the FAQ to explain how these new rules work with regards to summoning rules and Horticulous' ability. It's all a little difficult to visualize in abstract at the moment. I wonder if the rules only apply to the first Gnarlmaw you place for free at the start of the game, and then subsequent gnarlmaws are treated like any normal summoned unit? That would make sense to me, and prevent us from just plopping a gnarmaw down on an objective before the game starts to mess with the enemy.

Edited by Dreadmund

Im going to focus on the points changes for nurgle and figure out the terrain issue later.  Here is a list of the points chnages for people that dont know.:

Lord of Afflictions 200

Sloppity Bilepiper 90

Spoilpox Scriviner 90

Bloab Rotspawned, Morbidex Twiceborn, Orrguts Daemonspewn 240

Beast of Nurgle 80

Pusgoyle Blightlords 200

Affliction Cyst 200

Blight Cyst 200

I think the pusgoyles are a decent choice at 100 per. That extra 20 points per two always seemed to ****** with list building. I am also intrigued with 30 bestigors, bray shamen as 400 points of allies, with the wildfire taurs that just went down. It can reach 24" away, d6 mortals to 10+ units and auto strike last!?  Also since blades of putrefaction doesnt require NURGLE units (just friendly units) they can still get that. I was using a block of 40 marauders for 200 points plus glott for +1 attack and +1 wound. But 30 bestigors with base 2 attacks (essentially saving a command point)  with rend, and +1 to hit against 10+ units... they make a great recipient for blades.  Since they move 9", can run and charge without a tree, +1 to charge and pile in from 4" very interesting. Here is something I'm working on:

Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160) -Pestilent Breathe, Witherstave
Great Bray Shaman (100)

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (400)
30 x Bestigors (300)

Wildfire Taurus (80)
Total: 1820 / 2000

Harbinger rolls with the blightlords. 28 wounds with 4+/5+/5+ with decent damage is a nice tarpit/objective grabber. Good move and fly. Gutrot takes 10 kings with him. The other ten (more probably 2x 5) sit on home objectives or do whatever I need them to.  Bestigors and shamen do as described above. I have 180 points left. Is blades NECESSARY? perhaps festus and a balewind? Perhaps cogs instead of taurus. If I scream up the field, they will charge and strike first anyway. And can make gutrot's blightkings charge on 6"

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

Im building beast of chaos models to at the moment, but I will put them in the  battalion to get Nurgle keyword. I want to benefit from the wheel to.

Anyhow since you have sparepoints, you might consider the battalion to, give you acces to the wheel and an extra artefact. (Since you can only give it to the shaman and hes neither, Rotbringer, Mortal or Daemon you have to give him some realm artefact, but some of those are nice. I gonna give mine the extra CP one. Especially with the new command abilities this comes quite in hand)

I like your list btw!

1 hour ago, Fluxlord said:

Im building beast of chaos models to at the moment, but I will put them in the  battalion to get Nurgle keyword. I want to benefit from the wheel to.

Anyhow since you have sparepoints, you might consider the battalion to, give you acces to the wheel and an extra artefact. (Since you can only give it to the shaman and hes neither, Rotbringer, Mortal or Daemon you have to give him some realm artefact, but some of those are nice. I gonna give mine the extra CP one. Especially with the new command abilities this comes quite in hand)

I like your list btw!

I hear ya! I’m not willing to use 360 points to basically get then30 bestigors access to the wheel. Only two of which affect them (stage 1 and 2). Both blades of putrefaction and fleshy abundance both work on FRIENDLY UNITS, and don’t need the nurgle keyword. 

• Thanks 1

Well I will get my handbook next saturday and most likely will play a couple of meeting engaments (1000 points games).

I love it that I can take the following list now.

Lord of Afflictions

Harbinger of Decay

Sorcerer

2* Pusgoyle Blightlords

2*5 Blightkings

Ill most likely put the LoA an PGB in the spearhead. The rest of the army will be in the main body, or i might leave one unit of blightskings for the rearguard. Before i decide i must have a look at the battleplans and see how the three separate set-ups work in all those battleplans.

I must say, Im a little excited I like to play smaller battles from time to time and this new format looks very attractive as a new playstyle.

1 hour ago, Fluxlord said:

Well I will get my handbook next saturday and most likely will play a couple of meeting engaments (1000 points games).

I love it that I can take the following list now.

Lord of Afflictions

Harbinger of Decay

Sorcerer

2* Pusgoyle Blightlords

2*5 Blightkings

Ill most likely put the LoA an PGB in the spearhead. The rest of the army will be in the main body, or i might leave one unit of blightskings for the rearguard. Before i decide i must have a look at the battleplans and see how the three separate set-ups work in all those battleplans.

I must say, Im a little excited I like to play smaller battles from time to time and this new format looks very attractive as a new playstyle.

Yeah me too. 

And maybe I'm too positive but with the rules for meeting engagement it looks that especially nurgle rotbringers could be very very strong in this format. Harbinger on a smaller field sounds awesome :)

Let's wait for the battleplans but I'm looking forward to this new option. 

• Like 1

The Beast of Nurgle will most likely become one of the best chaff/ misdirection units in the game. Or, at the very least, one of the best Maggotkin has access to. 

For the new points, it has a phenomenal wounds, save (5+/5++), ability to deal mortal wounds*, and fantastic mobility. 

Having one or two of these can pin down a unit by clipping the edge or just dive into the fray of an ongoing melee. 

Retreating and charging in massed combats can provide amazing results. If I'm reading it correctly, more than one Beast can affect the combat.

situation: Your bestigors are fighting two enemy units, with an enemy buffing character in the mix. Two beasts charge in, then retreat. (if in range) each unit is rolled for 2 times (one for each beast) on a 4+ they each take d3. Potentially taking 2d3 per unit

Beasts then charge in again, tying them up for another round. Or charge another unit, preventing a third enemy unit from coming in. This gives the ability to retreat on their turn, starting process all over again. 

It's not game breaking, but a solid stone around the enemy's ankle. 

added bonus: Most Maggotkin players have several heroes, the buff to the BoN damage is nice. It doesn't make them formidable, but can add some punch.

They're more expensive than spawn, but far more mobile, and reliable in that mobility. 

I'm including a Beast in my list for an upcoming game mostly to fill out points. We'll see how he does and if I think he's better than an extra endless spell and a Triumph. When I've used him before he worked well as a distraction and nuisance but didn't manage to deal many wounds. If played smart though, a nuisance could be more valuable and he has the potential to deal damage he just whiffs a lot. It's just nice to have a unit that costs less than 100 points! I expect to see them a lot more just by virtue of being able to fill up spare points.

Played a casual game against a new-ish player last night. Used the following list:

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Allies

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
30 x Bestigors (300)
- Allies

Balewind Vortex (40)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 163

He had 10 sequitors, evocators, evocators on dracolines, farstriders (guys on foot with hand crossbows), prosecutors, lord celestant on dracoth, gryph chargers and the lord aquilor. I obviously wasnt pushing hard as he is somewhat new to aos.. but a long time WHFB player. I ran the blightlords right at the block of sequitors. I just wanted a stress test. The four of them wiped the unit in 3 rounds of combat. And thats with him RR all saves.  Only losing 1 blightlord and half wounding another. the +1 to wound from the wheel was clutch because it helped push more wounds through with many of the attacks being 4+ to hit. Pestilent breathe on the harbinger was great as well to add some damage output. I normally run with the papas blessing, but this was far more useful. 

He was able to bring the entire unit back and charged the blightlords again. I lost a couple more until the pestigors came in and wiped out them, and the gryph chargers, and the aquilor and a unit of nearby liberators who got caught in the fray. Cant wait to try this in a more competitive setting. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Played a casual game against a new-ish player last night. Used the following list:

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General

- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 

-Pestilential breath

- Artefact: The Witherstave 
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Allies

30 x Bestigors (300)
- Allies

Balewind Vortex (40)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 163

That looks like a really fun list.  One you could take to an event and more than break even with. 
Glad it went well and your friend had fun.

Thoughts on the bestigors with your list?

I'm eying up the Blightlords as well. What are some ways to buff them?  I'm thinking the rusty-item-dohickey on the LoA. 

How was it keeping the Harbinger in range of them?

Blades, while obvious, is not the end all be all for them. I feel that "Gift of Corruption" could be amazing on them. 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:16 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Im going to focus on the points changes for nurgle and figure out the terrain issue later.  Here is a list of the points chnages for people that dont know.:

Lord of Afflictions 200

Sloppity Bilepiper 90

Spoilpox Scriviner 90

Bloab Rotspawned, Morbidex Twiceborn, Orrguts Daemonspewn 240

Beast of Nurgle 80

Pusgoyle Blightlords 200

Affliction Cyst 200

Blight Cyst 200

I think the pusgoyles are a decent choice at 100 per. That extra 20 points per two always seemed to ****** with list building. I am also intrigued with 30 bestigors, bray shamen as 400 points of allies, with the wildfire taurs that just went down. It can reach 24" away, d6 mortals to 10+ units and auto strike last!?  Also since blades of putrefaction doesnt require NURGLE units (just friendly units) they can still get that. I was using a block of 40 marauders for 200 points plus glott for +1 attack and +1 wound. But 30 bestigors with base 2 attacks (essentially saving a command point)  with rend, and +1 to hit against 10+ units... they make a great recipient for blades.  Since they move 9", can run and charge without a tree, +1 to charge and pile in from 4" very interesting. Here is something I'm working on:

Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160) -Pestilent Breathe, Witherstave
Great Bray Shaman (100)

30 x Bestigors (300)

Wildfire Taurus (80)
Total: 1820 / 2000

Harbinger rolls with the blightlords. 28 wounds with 4+/5+/5+ with decent damage is a nice tarpit/objective grabber. Good move and fly. Gutrot takes 10 kings with him. The other ten (more probably 2x 5) sit on home objectives or do whatever I need them to.  Bestigors and shamen do as described above. I have 180 points left. Is blades NECESSARY? perhaps festus and a balewind? Perhaps cogs instead of taurus. If I scream up the field, they will charge and strike first anyway. And can make gutrot's blightkings charge on 6"

And you havent thought about centigors?

They are faster, 4 attacks base, and +1 to hit always!  So blades are perfect for them.

Also if you are nurgle, with glottkin you give them +2 attacks..

Quick question, despite playing for over a year with nurgle (just friendly social games) I'm not sure I have been playing disgustingly resilient properly.

If hit by a weapon with 2 damage (for example) Do I make a save roll, if failed do I make 2 rolls one for each point of damage or make one roll, if failed again take 2 damage?

I've been playing the second way up to now.

I'm hoping to attend a tournament this year but want to make sure playing properly and also finish painting up my army first :P

35 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

If hit by a weapon with 2 damage (for example) Do I make a save roll, if failed do I make 2 rolls one for each point of damage or make one roll, if failed again take 2 damages First

First you should roll save roll with all modifications rend etc. than 1 roll for 1 dmg without any modifications.