AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

If this is all the Maggotkin changes then its clear to me that they have been motivated by one thing only; sell stock. No one runs Pusgoyles, no one uses that battalion, so I imagine there is shelf upon shelf of these kits gathering dust somewhere. Hate to take the cynical approach but this GHB does nothing for Nurgle in the competitive meta at all. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I really want to run any of the Maggoth Lords, or a Tamurkhan's Horde without severely handicapping myself, but after today's preview i think i will have to agree with @Oldshrimpeyes

The only points drops they mentioned are for one of the most recent plastic Nurgle kits.

Go look at the warscrolls and points for the Maggoth Lords and anything in Tamurkhan's Horde like Plague Ogors or Bile Troggoths, it is disheartening to see that approach.

Edited by Infernalslayer

40 minutes ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

If this is all the Maggotkin changes then its clear to me that they have been motivated by one thing only; sell stock. No one runs Pusgoyles, no one uses that battalion, so I imagine there is shelf upon shelf of these kits gathering dust somewhere. Hate to take the cynical approach but this GHB does nothing for Nurgle in the competitive meta at all. 

No one runs those units because they're overpriced, so they reduced their price. Isn't that exactly what we as players should hope the annual price adjustments address?

Worth noting that these are just some of the changes being highlighted - there may be other adjustments. 

Yeah I’m hoping these are just tasters of the point changes. I think it’s a valid point though, about the Pusgoyles/sales. Probably why they chose to highlight that one in particular. But hopefully there will be more. No one plays the Maggoth Lords either after all...

Pusgoyles and especially the Affliction battalion are something I could see getting really good with some points reductions. I'm not sure if the drop is enough to make it competitive but a very fast, very tanky, and moderately hard hitting unit could be ace to seize an objective early on or trap an opponent in their deployment zone.

I'm trying to swing back from being cynical and think how best they could be used.  Maybe the battalion, the witherstave and a Harbinger of decay backing them up. (Thermalrider Cloak on him too). Wide alpha strike to tie units up and then ferry units of plague bearers around with the boatman to cover the rest of the field. They aren't going to be a lolly alpha strike by any means but as a wall they might have some merit. 

2 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I find the models competitive enough, and just got 100 point back!  

Edited by grungolah

17 minutes ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I'm trying to swing back from being cynical and think how best they could be used.  Maybe the battalion, the witherstave and a Harbinger of decay backing them up. (Thermalrider Cloak on him too). Wide alpha strike to tie units up and then ferry units of plague bearers around with the boatman to cover the rest of the field. They aren't going to be a lolly alpha strike by any means but as a wall they might have some merit. 

Im very dissapointed last year no point drops wasnt an issue, but in the current year with fec, skaven, fyreslayers, etc. Nurgle is getting stale (haha). Whats the point of that battalion? Deepstrike? Move fast? Is absurda I wont take it even at 100. Pusgoyles still overpriced (160 shall be more clase to their true cost). 

The good thing to me is I wont buy anything for nurgle: I Hope of buying 2 more GUOs, maggotlords, beasts and more plaguebearers ... But not this year.

3 hours ago, Percivael said:

Maggotkin of Nurgle

The Lord of AfflictionsPusgoyle Blightlords and their associated warscroll battalion, the Affliction Cyst have all received drops in points, each costing only 200! Fast, durable and pretty nasty in close combat, these daemonic heavy cavalry are a very appealing option in a Nurgle army looking to nullify key enemy units and take ground.

So, will this make a difference to anyone’s armies? Is it a good a excuse to start a flies army? They are excellent miniatures,  I’m just not sure the discount is enough.

I'm not sure the point drop would warrant a massive list based on them. If only 20 point drop, they're still in need of a lot of support. 
And yes, 100% agree, they're amazing miniatures. 

Most of our buff/synergy comes from less mobile units. Only the harbinger with his move could maybe keep up with them, but with increase of their battalion, I'm not even sure that.

I'd love to see these armies on the table. I'd like to play a LOW model count army once. heh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peasant said:

Im very dissapointed last year no point drops wasnt an issue, but in the current year with fec, skaven, fyreslayers, etc. Nurgle is getting stale (haha). Whats the point of that battalion? Deepstrike? Move fast? Is absurda I wont take it even at 100. Pusgoyles still overpriced (160 shall be more clase to their true cost). 

The good thing to me is I wont buy anything for nurgle: I Hope of buying 2 more GUOs, maggotlords, beasts and more plaguebearers ... But not this year.

Now, now, 100 points is "free." I think of it as buying a command and an item.

For 100 more points, 4 units (which cost 80 more before the change) take up one setup slot.  Going first is critical.   Thats not bad for a 20 point investment.

We can always just get whatever the new darkoath army is and paint it green worst comes to worst.

I agree the two changes are ok. But I'd like to include beasts, maggoth Lord's and the other non wizard heralds in my list. Nurglings as well to a lesser extent. They need either changes to warscrolls or a nerf to points.

Beasts are a pretty new sculpt too so I don't understand why they don't want to sell them. LET ME BUY YOUR 70AUD SINGLE MODELS GW!

Edited by Riavan

I always play a unit of pusgoyles in my list and i always liked them, this drop is really nice, one unit of 4 is to be considered yes !

Or even 2x2, they are the only units that can fly and move "fast" for us and they're good at blocking units while the rest of my army move to position.

And sometimes they do good damage to low armoured units !!

Anyone has seen some more points changes !?!?

Edited by Ecko

8 minutes ago, peasant said:

Nurgle menagerie could be a thing?

Dropped by 60 points... (for 3 beasts) 

For me it don't feel that this makes it up for menagerie... If horti and the batallion would have seen some reductions too it would be a cool new way to play nurgle :)

Bloab reduced by 20points  getting more and more interesting... But still very expensive in the comparison with e.g. the verminlords for 260.

Let's see maybe some of you will come up with some cool new lists with blight lords etc which I can't see currently 😃

Looking forward to your creativity hehe 

5 hours ago, Zplash said:

Hm endless spells going up too:

Shackle 40
Pendulum 50
Cogs 80 
Geminid 60 
Portal 70
Quicksilver sword 30

Portal at 70 now Thrice Fold doesn't work with 5 blightkings -.- 

But does so with 20 marauders. I find them great especially as a screan in the back against teleporting units. I still cant use my list though,  i normally brought portal and geminids for 100 points. So no more geminids for me...guess ill have to bring the quicksilver sword.

25 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

But does so with 20 marauders. I find them great especially as a screan in the back against teleporting units. I still cant use my list though,  i normally brought portal and geminids for 100 points. So no more geminids for me...guess ill have to bring the quicksilver sword.

Just hate the marauders models :D

And love to be kind of "100% true maggotkin" :) but true 20 marauders could be better as 5 blightkings. Especially because they are cheaper hehe 

• Haha 1

I will for sure run bloab for 240,ok it's not good as verminlord as a caster but his spell is huge with the cost reduction on beasts of nurgle (3 of them trigger for sure damage in the movement phase) 😁

240 for a low range artillery with 1 spell, 12 hp, not bad melee profile, debuffing casters and debuffing melees 

3 beasts are good as screen, just immagine someone blocked by 3 of them and deciding how to split attacks (since with the extrasave they need to think it very carefully), overkill 1 of them or killing none of them... On the next turn 3 retreats for a 50% average 4 mortal wounds if they survived.... 

Oh boy

Edited by calcysimon
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1