AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 hours ago, peasant said:

Have you seen that fake generals handbook points?

Well, a lot of ppl said its a fake:

Guo +40

Rotigus +60

Thricefold +60

Glottkin -60

Maggot lords -20

What would you do if that was true?

I Will put my army un a box until Next year

Glottkin (-60)

14 tuskgor chariots (-10 each)

6 x 10 ungors

2 bray shamans

2 x pestilent throng (-50 each)

chromatic cogs (+20)

Should work out to 2000 pts on the nose under the 'leaks'. 3 drops, easy first turn charges, and janky exploding units aplenty.

Edited by decker_cky

5 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Glottkin (-60)

6 x 10 ungors

2 bray shamans

chromatic cogs (+20)

Should work out to 2000 pts on the nose under the 'leaks'. 3 drops, easy first turn charges, and janky exploding units aplenty.

But if you Cross against khorne you are basically giving him free bloodthirsters

5 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Glottkin (-60)

6 x 10 ungors

2 bray shamans

chromatic cogs (+20)

And where are the cool nurgle units/models in this list?  :(

There are so many great opportunities to buff some units to bring them more in balance: the maggot lords (the models <3), plaguebearers (reduce the cost, or maybe change the locus), beasts of nurgle which would additionally buff the great model horticulus which again would increase our strategies with trees, contagion etc... Speaking about summoning... They can change that as well XD it's a joke playing nurgle, the God of the circle of life and death and have the worst summoning from all chaos gods... Feels bad haha

Let's see what the GH2019 will come up with. I hope for nothing and take everything we get :D so I'm not too upset if nothing changes. 

If I could choose, I would choose the buffs for daemons. The GUO and the defensive orientation were the main things which drove me into papa nurgles hands. 

1 hour ago, Zplash said:

And where are the cool nurgle units/models in this list?  :(

There are so many great opportunities to buff some units to bring them more in balance: the maggot lords (the models <3), plaguebearers (reduce the cost, or maybe change the locus), beasts of nurgle which would additionally buff the great model horticulus which again would increase our strategies with trees, contagion etc... Speaking about summoning... They can change that as well XD it's a joke playing nurgle, the God of the circle of life and death and have the worst summoning from all chaos gods... Feels bad haha

Let's see what the GH2019 will come up with. I hope for nothing and take everything we get :D so I'm not too upset if nothing changes. 

If I could choose, I would choose the buffs for daemons. The GUO and the defensive orientation were the main things which drove me into papa nurgles hands. 

I want to field The awesome new sculpts: heralds, beasts and pusgoyles :(

13 hours ago, peasant said:

But if you Cross against khorne you are basically giving him free bloodthirsters

Like any other goofy list, it has bad match ups. Should be able to devastate the front line and ruin the khorne support heroes before any summoning becomes an issue. The list might even lock the khorne list out of summoning options if you get first turn (you should be pressuring everything well into the deployment zone) and glottkin makes each chariot hit surprisingly hard. 

bloodthirsters-do-not.jpg

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Dreadmund said:

I'd start painting my Glottkin, cause daemons are just for summoning now.

It's gotta be fake. Made by someone with a huuuuge grudge against a player who runs thricefold.

I was thinking the same thing. A lot of the points adjustments for armies in that list made sense but the ones for Nurgle are pants on head retarded. 

I'm building my Maggotkin army and I'm up to around 1500 right now, how does this list look for 2000 points? Would appreciate any advice.

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang 

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes & Shields

Units
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

Out of this the only thing I don't have is Marauders, Warshrine, and the 4th Blightking  stack so I only have 15 of those, how should I round my army out if this isn't ideal?

9 hours ago, Autisto said:

Would appreciate any advice.

You need max unit of marauders to use their potential with second wound, -1/-2 to hit from LoB, and, ofc, blades. 
You need more command points to use all of your CAs, so you can drop shrine. 
And you need hyshian brooch to return CPs.
Long time i played that build:

Af5FmuKy2TQ.jpg

Well Went to Triumph GT with 40 marauders, 30 blightkings (10, 10, 5, 5), Glott, Spume, and Harbinger with witherstave, +2 CP (1880/2000)

Won my first two, then played Slaanesh (event winner), skaventide, and FEC. The losses were VERY close. Slaanesh player said every single opponent conceded BEFORE turn 3 was even a consideration. Round 5 opponent conceded on the bottom of turn 1. I however, never concede a match. After turn 1 (Total commitment) he asked if I wanted to keep playing. I definitely did. Actually tied the game laste and he managed to barely grab an objective with demonettes and snag the win. Made him sweat. He said everyone else got hit with the turn 1/2 charge and just gave up. 

Game against Skaven was very close. BPoV.. I tried to push marauders into a Clan Rat castle, while spume and 10 kings dropped in behind them.. he left me a perfectly sized tasty drop point! But alas, the acolytes and warbringer came in and was able to whittle the numbers down before I could actually burn it!! I had it. 6-7 kings swung. Rolled 4 sixes. Rolled for my extra attacks and rolled 6, 6, 6, 5. 28 wound rolls turns into 19 damage. ....with mystic shield procedes to make 19 5+ saves ............ and held the objective by one fething rat!!!

Game against FEC was SO TIGHT as well. Shifting objectives against Blisterskin. AGKoTG, AGKoZD, Regent, 6,6,3 flayers, dead watch battalion, and infernal coutier. I stupidly left a HUGE area behind glott. He took first turn and nuked Glott with TG attacking twice. Harbinger died. Maruaders died. I had only spume and 30 kings and they did WORK! Ended up killing all the flayers, minus a couple which had been re-summoned, the TG and damaged the ZD. But a couple VERY poor tactical errors (Maruaders went after the TG that had just killed Glott instead of going to objective held by only 6 flayers....VERY dumb oversight) crushed my hope of win.  Game came down to this. Turn 4 prioirty roll. If he wins.. he generates on CP and can take TG and double attack on 10 kings. If I win it, the kings kill the TG (only has 1 wound left), and all remaining flayers and I win. We tied the roll and it went to him as he had first turn on top of 3. womp womp.

LOVED the close games. Had a goal of 3-2. Went 2-3 but my army won Best Painted army (players choice). Got $260 and a weapons grade battle axe so it was an amazing experience. It almost feels better winning players choice best painted army then one by the judges. SOmething about your peers and competition enjoying your army is more rewarding then the TO's. 

Great experience. VERY excited to "go back to the drawing board"  and start gearing up for NOVA open. Wife also gave permission for LVO!!! 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 2

Thx for the insights @sal4m4nd3r

I wonder how you could keep up in the slaanesh game? They usually love those tasty blightkings with a lot of wounds to generate summoning points? 

And of course congratulations for the painters price! Very cool! At least something in which nurgle is still strong 😅

37 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Thx for the insights @sal4m4nd3r

I wonder how you could keep up in the slaanesh game? They usually love those tasty blightkings with a lot of wounds to generate summoning points? 

And of course congratulations for the painters price! Very cool! At least something in which nurgle is still strong 😅

By turn two he had 64 depravity points. At one point in the game he had enough to summon two keepers, with two already on the board. The only limiting factor was the physical amount of models he had to put on the table.

I could have been smarter with my harbinger placement. I put him with marauders on one side. He stalled deployment until he knew where the witherstave was going to be and then loaded up on the opposite side. I should have been more central and non commital. 

My best advice is not lose the game in your head. They are fast and deadly, but can’t take a lot of damage. Currently the summoning is a bit out of touch with other summoning and probably should be addressed. But you can’t get discouraged. Just keep playing and grinding.

• Like 2

@sal4m4nd3r Nice battle reports. It pleases me to see at least someone can play the blightkings. In some groups the blightkings get so trashtalked my heart breaks when i read it. (Always the same mantra: blightkings suck when they have -1 to hit, when you run blightcyst everyone negates the rend, if you deploy blightkings your in to loose for sure, etc. etc.) So again great to see you did quite well at the tournament. 

Im going to run Glotkin to on the next event i will participate in. Not exactly the same list as yours but there will be lots of blightkings and some marauders.

My experience with Nurgle this far is that it really doesnt matter if I bring Rotbringers or a daemon list, everytime i play daemons I think: should have brought my mortals and when i bring my daemons vice versa.  Then I look at my personal statistics and see it doesnt matter what i bring cause last half year I played this game I have a 30% win regardless of the lists i brought. (not much data at the moment, but its how it is right now) Next to havin a good army, dice luck, tactical insight your piece of mind is also bery important, exactly what you said.

Last weekend I played with the thricefold battalion: Double GUO, Rotigus, 60 plaguebearers and 20 marauders spell portal and geminids. I played some battle with diagonal border against stormcast with balistas. He had put the balistas in the skies, and since I know he can drop on my side i placed my marauders in one line with a spacing of 0.9 inch 9" from the back and sides. Then i gave him the first turn and obviously he couldnt place the balistas where he wanted and I saw his spirit go down, since he couldnt use the tactics he wanted. He had to place his balistas on some weird spot, where still could shoot but he wasnt happy with it. He shot at Rotigus, who took a lot of damage, but lived. Then i placed the portal and had a lucky plaguestoem roll on his General 3d3, i rolled two fives and a six...bye bye general. That was battlerohnd 1 still and again i broke his spirit for the second time, loosing his general completely shocked him and i dont think he had the spirit to continue anymore. He did contunue to play, but it was a mental victory for me already and eventually a victory for Nurgle. 

Long story short, I love playin Nurgle!

• Like 1

BTW there was a Nurgle list that went 4-1. He was 4-0 but got run over by my buddies slaanesh list... that I (brag incoming) actually gave a game to, and almost stole from him ;) Here is the 4-1 Nurgle list:

Rotigus, Chaos lord on demonic mount, contorted epitome, 40 plague monks, 10 chaos knights, 30 plaguebearers, 5 blight kings, 5 blightkings. Thats 1880/2000 I cant quite recall if he just kept the command points, or had another 10 plague boys in there.  but you get the idea. Its a nurgle list thats a swiss army knife. Dan Karaban who played it is a really good player to. He didnt have an easy ride to the top. But conceded bottom of turn 1 to Slaanesh. 

1 hour ago, extermina said:

Stupid question that might have been answered already: Witherstave goes off on 6+ . Does that mean that if my opponent has some +1 to Wound abilites, they would have to re-roll natural 5s? Same question for Cycle/General Trait.

I believe that re-rolls happen before modifiers are applied, so no they would re-roll their 6's and then apply +1 to their rolls afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

I believe that re-rolls happen before modifiers are applied, so no they would re-roll their 6's and then apply +1 to their rolls afterwards.

@extermina Correct. You opponent would roll dice. ALL re-rolls take place, including witherstave. Then the modifiers occur on those re-rolled dice. If he had a +1 to hit, and rolled 5s.. witherstave would NOT affect those dice. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Blackspine said:

Still hoping that PBK remain the same points.
Or drop. I'd take that too....

I dont think it would be fair for them to drop in points. I think they are perfectly pointed the way they are. I wouldnt mind them going back to 180, IF they gained disgustingly resilient like I think ALL rotbringers should. Harbinger of decay command should change to either maybe +1 to this roll or something different entirely. 

Here is my quick wishlist:

Glotkin down to 340

GUO down to 300

Horticulous down to 180

Beasts down to 60

All Maggoth lords down to 200 (would like them to lose the unique tage as well so they can take artefacts!!)

Plaguebearers down to 100/270

Pestilent Throng down to 150

Blight Cyst down to 160-180

Plague cyst down to 140

Nurgles Menagerie down to 160-180

Pusgoyle Blightlords change to 1+ model units. (as in can take a single blightlord) and drop to 90 points each (if 3 drones = 200, then 1 drone =66.6 points. -12 for the plaguebearer= ~55 points. Add 32 for the blightking - 160/5 = 32 - and you get 87 points. Round up to 90)

I also think drones could drop to 180 per three. So you could take 2 blightlords for 180 or 3 drones for 180. Blight Lords are tougher and synergize more.. but drones can resurrect and do more damage. 

I also think Contagion point costs, need to be drastically cut. I would like to see the entire "tiers" shift down. GUO should be 21, drones should be 14, 10 plaguebearers should be 7. I also think if you have nurgle units in BOTH territories, you should automatically get to be able to summon a free tree (still 9" away and wholly within 12" of another tree or hero). Just get rid of 1 nurgling base or 5 plaguebearer summons. Its just fething dumb. 

I would take the day off from work and throw a party if this happened. Its just my wishlist and I dont even think its that "unfair."

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 3

Maggotkin of Nurgle

The Lord of AfflictionsPusgoyle Blightlords and their associated warscroll battalion, the Affliction Cyst have all received drops in points, each costing only 200! Fast, durable and pretty nasty in close combat, these daemonic heavy cavalry are a very appealing option in a Nurgle army looking to nullify key enemy units and take ground.

So, will this make a difference to anyone’s armies? Is it a good a excuse to start a flies army? They are excellent miniatures,  I’m just not sure the discount is enough.

It's still 1000 points for the minimun of the battalion.... 

For 7 units... Not doing enough dmg to really threaten something even with deepstrike... And again only deepstrike 1. Turn which is limiting too. 

You will need bodies for the rest 1000 points to have a chance on the objective game. 

For me the pusgoyle blight lords are more like a expensive speedbumber. Maybe fast objective grabbers if enemy player makes a mistake and you can steal an objective with 16 move plus fly... 

Best of these changes are the little point increases for the other factions haha 

I'm so sad that they didnt touch plaguebearers GUOs or the 3 maggot lords :(

• Like 1