AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I think it's important to consider how changes to Matched Play Point cost of some units will affect things like their perceived value for summoning. For example, if Spoilpox Scriveners and Sloppity Bilepipers have their value reduced to 80, that means that they would cost as much as 10 Plaguebearers to summon but be worth almost half as many matched play points. Are they going to readjust the summoning point values along with the matched play points?

Also, they may have a worse damage profile than a feculent gnarlmaw, but a unit of 3 Nurglings has 12 wounds and self-healing. A beast has 7 wounds and can actually do a little damage, even though it's infuriatingly swingy and unreliable. I actually agree that they could both do with going down to 80, but I also think there's a really good chance that won't happen.

I don't want people to get their hopes up too much and be disappointed. I would love to see some of these predictions come true, but they're very optimistic.

52 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

I think it's important to consider how changes to Matched Play Point cost of some units will affect things like their perceived value for summoning. For example, if Spoilpox Scriveners and Sloppity Bilepipers have their value reduced to 80, that means that they would cost as much as 10 Plaguebearers to summon but be worth almost half as many matched play points. Are they going to readjust the summoning point values along with the matched play points?

Also, they may have a worse damage profile than a feculent gnarlmaw, but a unit of 3 Nurglings has 12 wounds and self-healing. A beast has 7 wounds and can actually do a little damage, even though it's infuriatingly swingy and unreliable. I actually agree that they could both do with going down to 80, but I also think there's a really good chance that won't happen.

I don't want people to get their hopes up too much and be disappointed. I would love to see some of these predictions come true, but they're very optimistic.

I think The same, we better consider no point reductions like last year. And instead of focusing in what we want to be cheaper, which of our deadliest enemies could go Up in points.

At The moment i think of slaanesh, he/she can farm an insane quantity of summoning points from our putrid blightkings and other units. In top of that, better survivality summoning like crazy, shutdowns our Magic phase etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Anyone here who ever played beast of chaos units with Nurgle keyword due to the Pestilent battalion?

I was wondering if Harbingers ability works on bestigors and ungors?

Harbinger's command ability wouldnt work on them because they need to be NURGLE and MORTAL. the MORTAL keyword is basically the keyword for human. Blightkings can heal them, the wheel will affect them because those abilties only require the NURGLE keyword. Blades and Putrefaction and fleshy abundance only require a friendly unit.. so even allies and units on another army in a team setting would work to. 

4 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

I agree with you, but at this point Nnurgle summoning is a joke. What do you guys summon? 10 plaguebearers a game? MAYBE 3 drones? Ive never been able to drop 3 drones on the table. Its always 10 plaguebois, maybe a second tree. Ive never been able to SNIFF summoning a GUO. But in contrast, my slaanesh opponent last game had enough depravity to summon a KOS, and was only 9 away from summoning another KOS

16 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I agree with you, but at this point Nnurgle summoning is a joke. What do you guys summon? 10 plaguebearers a game? MAYBE 3 drones? Ive never been able to drop 3 drones on the table. Its always 10 plaguebois, maybe a second tree. Ive never been able to SNIFF summoning a GUO. But in contrast, my slaanesh opponent last game had enough depravity to summon a KOS, and was only 9 away from summoning another KOS

Truth. I find that I always either summon a Gnarlmaw to allow run and charge or I save points to put down as many plaguebearers as possible to reinforce a unit of 30 plaguebearers that just got massacred on an objective.

I honestly think that if you made no changes except buffing our summoning mechanics we'd be in a much better place. It seems thematically appropriate to me that Nurgle Daemons should multiply and spread quickly over a landscape like an outbreak of a virus. Compared to other summoning armies I've played though we definitely very slow. Seraphon seems to summon a whole second army worth of skinks every other turn. I know there are builds to maximize summoning potential, but it comes at the cost of all the other things we have that keep us relevant. Nurgle's menagerie for example will net you tons of contagion points, but you have to take Nurgle's menagerie. Also if my opponent was taking Nurgle's menagerie you know I'm going to prioritize killing Horticulous as fast as possible so the battalion becomes a dead weight. Command traits and artefacts that grant additional contagion points tend not to generate much or generate them reliably (usually 1 point at a time based on a set of conditions being met). And if you take those, you're missing out on things like the Witherstave, Rustfang, Grandfather's Blessings etc etc...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreadmund said:

Truth. I find that I always either summon a Gnarlmaw to allow run and charge or I save points to put down as many plaguebearers as possible to reinforce a unit of 30 plaguebearers that just got massacred on an objective.

I honestly think that if you made no changes except buffing our summoning mechanics we'd be in a much better place. It seems thematically appropriate to me that Nurgle Daemons should multiply and spread quickly over a landscape like an outbreak of a virus. Compared to other summoning armies I've played though we definitely very slow. Seraphon seems to summon a whole second army worth of skinks every other turn. I know there are builds to maximize summoning potential, but it comes at the cost of all the other things we have that keep us relevant. Nurgle's menagerie for example will net you tons of contagion points, but you have to take Nurgle's menagerie. Also if my opponent was taking Nurgle's menagerie you know I'm going to prioritize killing Horticulous as fast as possible so the battalion becomes a dead weight. Command traits and artefacts that grant additional contagion points tend not to generate much or generate them reliably (usually 1 point at a time based on a set of conditions being met). And if you take those, you're missing out on things like the Witherstave, Rustfang, Grandfather's Blessings etc etc...

How about the joke of the opponent being able to shut down any contagion point generation via the Gnarlnaws by simply taking the "risk"  of a single mortal wound 50% of the time. You're aright about these 1 contagion point here and there abilities. If I was able to summon multiple units of drones a game using them.. then yes I would consider it. But at this point the Witherstave is the ONLY thing that is keeping nurgle treading water with these new armies and is absolutely mandatory. The Tallyband (which used to be the SIGNATURE nurgle demon battalion) is a husk of its former self. 220 points is laughable. It should be closer 120 points. Gnarlmaws should deal d3 mortal wounds on a 4+. Or reduce attacks/save/hit rolls.. as if those tentacles are holding nearby enemies, or spraying acid on them. Even a random debuff similar to Gift of contagion would be fun. Perhaps they could return slain models to nearby plaguebearer units like gravesites. Or even "muster" like the varghulfs. (1-5 get plagebois, 6 get a drone). If enemy units nearby it should reduce the contagion by 1... not shut it down. Sure you roll a 1 or 2 and you get nothing.. but iy should WEAKEN the ability not disable it. 

So many creative mechanics. They were scared of making summoning WAY to strong in this book and played it safe... as this was the first "free summoning" book in second edition.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

How about the joke of the opponent being able to shut down any contagion point generation via the Gnarlnaws by simply taking the "risk"  of a single mortal wound 50% of the time. You're aright about these 1 contagion point here and there abilities. If I was able to summon multiple units of drones a game using them.. then yes I would consider it. But at this point the Witherstave is the ONLY thing that is keeping nurgle treading water with these new armies and is absolutely mandatory. The Tallyband (which used to be the SIGNATURE nurgle demon battalion) is a husk of its former self. 220 points is laughable. It should be closer 120 points. Gnarlmaws should deal d3 mortal wounds on a 4+. Or reduce attacks/save/hit rolls.. as if those tentacles are holding nearby enemies, or spraying acid on them. Even a random debuff similar to Gift of contagion would be fun. Perhaps they could return slain models to nearby plaguebearer units like gravesites. Or even "muster" like the varghulfs. (1-5 get plagebois, 6 get a drone). If enemy units nearby it should reduce the contagion by 1... not shut it down. Sure you roll a 1 or 2 and you get nothing.. but iy should WEAKEN the ability not disable it. 

So many creative mechanics. They were scared of making summoning WAY to strong in this book and played it safe... as this was the first "free summoning" book in second edition.

Oh god yes, when I tell my opponent that the Gnarlmaw only has a 50% chance of doing 1 mortal wound they always look both confused and relieved. They always start by saying "so I should avoid standing near that?" and end with "So I need to stand something near that?"

I love the idea of a Gnarlmaw being able to return slain models to daemon units nearby. Very thematically appropriate. You could tie it to the battleshock roll returning models that Plaguebearers and Drones already have, like "if a unit of PLAGUEBEARERS or PLAGUE DRONES are within 3" of a feculent gnarlmaw, you can treat a battleshock roll of 2 or more as an unmodified roll of 1". Enemy armies then have to at least try and give a debuff to our battleshock rolls to prevent it:  there is a clear counter to it.

There are so many ways a rewritten gnarlmaw warscroll could help us. What if Gnarlmaws could also activate Locus abilities like a Daemon hero? Or NURGLE WIZARDS standing within 1" of a Gnarlmaw can add 1 to spellcasting rolls by taking advantage of the mystical energies emanating from the Garden of Nurgle? Or units without the NURGLE keyword within 3" take a minus to bravery because they're close enough to glimpse the horrors within. Or the damage from a gnarlmaw could increase with unit size (0-10 models: 1 MW, 10-20 models: d3 MW, 21+ Models: d6 MW) making it better against big battleline units but not making it unreasonably strong against heroes.

I don't think we're going to get any re-written warscrolls though. Historically that's not what the GHB has been used for.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

Oh god yes, when I tell my opponent that the Gnarlmaw only has a 50% chance of doing 1 mortal wound they always look both confused and relieved. They always start by saying "so I should avoid standing near that?" and end with "So I need to stand something near that?"

I love the idea of a Gnarlmaw being able to return slain models to daemon units nearby. Very thematically appropriate. You could tie it to the battleshock roll returning models that Plaguebearers and Drones already have, like "if a unit of PLAGUEBEARERS or PLAGUE DRONES are within 3" of a feculent gnarlmaw, you can treat a battleshock roll of 2 or more as an unmodified roll of 1". Enemy armies then have to at least try and give a debuff to our battleshock rolls to prevent it:  there is a clear counter to it.

There are so many ways a rewritten gnarlmaw warscroll could help us. What if Gnarlmaws could also activate Locus abilities like a Daemon hero? Or NURGLE WIZARDS standing within 1" of a Gnarlmaw can add 1 to spellcasting rolls by taking advantage of the mystical energies emanating from the Garden of Nurgle? Or units without the NURGLE keyword within 3" take a minus to bravery because they're close enough to glimpse the horrors within. Or the damage from a gnarlmaw could increase with unit size (0-10 models: 1 MW, 10-20 models: d3 MW, 21+ Models: d6 MW) making it better against big battleline units but not making it unreasonably strong against heroes.

I don't think we're going to get any re-written warscrolls though. Historically that's not what the GHB has been used for.

Absolutley we are not getting anything re-written. But sending these ideas in NOW would be better then later. They wrote books and playtest WAYYYY before any rumors start coming out to the public.

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I realised this when i ran my first "summoning" list with Horticulous. Explained it was 1mw on a 4+ in each hero phase and my opponent just stood next to both trees and kept models in both sides of the table. Got nothing summoned for the game. Easies thing to shut down.

29 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Absolutley we are not getting anything re-written. But sending these ideas in NOW would be better then later. They wrote books and playtest WAYYYY before any rumors start coming out to the public.

It's not entirely unlikely they re-cost summoning for us tho- as you say 14 contagion for 10 plaguebearers that usually come on turn 3 earliest is insane. They could just half the cost of all summoning and we still wouldn't compete with Slaanesh. 

And in the meantime after all these posts about the waning of Nurgle i have a tournament coming probably facing Gloomspite, Stormcast, daughters and FEC. Oh and Lets not forget Nagash...

So what to do thricefold or blightcyst? With thricefold im afraid against other magic heavy armies and with blightkings im afraid of the -1 to hit flyin around... darn!

20 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

And in the meantime after all these posts about the waning of Nurgle i have a tournament coming probably facing Gloomspite, Stormcast, daughters and FEC. Oh and Lets not forget Nagash...

So what to do thricefold or blightcyst? With thricefold im afraid against other magic heavy armies and with blightkings im afraid of the -1 to hit flyin around... darn!

Thricefold against nagash is very dangerous, he can handDust one GUO per turn, unlikely yes... But  once a Guo is gone The army crumbles...

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

There is a lot of space for fluffy rules. plagueBearers should have a trait that punish attacking models, you are cutting trough The enbodiment of disease, contagious ichor would spray from open wounds. Just a single cut could be infected in seconds...

Feculent gnarlmaw should act like livkng portals to The nurgle garden allowing to reroll one dice if a spell of The nurgle Lore  is Cast near.

Slopitty... Is maybe The worst Hero in The Game. There is not need to make It completely Broken like un 40k but give him something meaningful and fluffy.

1 hour ago, peasant said:

There is a lot of space for fluffy rules. plagueBearers should have a trait that punish attacking models, you are cutting trough The enbodiment of disease, contagious ichor would spray from open wounds. Just a single cut could be infected in seconds... 

Yeah, the Plaguebearer fluff looks like:

every Plaguebearer wields a plague sword that exudes lethal filth, meaning that a single cut from its jagged edge can kill in seconds

I'd like to see those Plaguebearers in my army some day...

• Haha 1

Every Plaguebearer wields a plague sword that exudes lethal filth, meaning that a single cut from its jagged edge can kill in seconds. Unfortunately they only attack using their much less lethal plague spoon which doesn't even have an edge and can, at best, raise a small but ugly welt upon the flesh of it's victims.

Maybe Im a little pessimistic but in my local meta, nurgle is a joke.

My last Game against a seraphon with The thunder battalions (that with 2 bastiladons and engine of The gods) and hace to give Up because It was pointless to play he keeps and summoning like crazy and I cant endure The laser beams.

Before that Game against idoneth , volturnos and eels; followed of a Big unit of soldiers that resurrected 11 or so per turn.

Against fec, well I got The witherstave so I thought I was safe from terrorgheist 6 mw on 6s but what a mistake, with a command trait that allow rerolls, The spell that give +3 attacks and Two activations... Horticulus fell un The 1st activations.... Meanwhile I managed to kill two winged monstrosities he throw a bunch of dice and said with each 5+ y resurrected one! How can we win that?

Another Game : ballistas, sequitors and evocators, no comment

In my meta there are neither ogors or dispossesed . And The bad news is that our Battletome wont be reworked un The foreseable future

Edited by peasant

So as i said earlier I have an tournmanet coming and was worried how to play, what kind of Nurgle armie to bring. I was thinking of something completely different (from my point of video that is). I love the GUO's so i bring two of them (rotigus for his deluge and GUO bell/blade for +1 cast and the extra movement). Furthermore, I like to plant trees, for summoning points (when not shut down), and as a pojnt to summon from and as kind of wall and in the vicinity of objectives, so Horti will join to (that means very big change to have three trees at the end of my first movement phase). Talkin anout movement phase always nice for extra summong points to get Gutrot in the back...so lets bring him too. That's 4 heros (4 spells, feculants and a hero in the enemies zone). Now for battleline, the bell/blade guy will support 30 plaguebearers (nice to have such a big blob around objectives), obviously Gutrot brings some friends in the enemy zone 10 blightkings that is. Stilk need some more battleline...well i had 20 marauders layin around (wish i had more, but i dont have for now) let these guys be the canonfodder in front of Rotigus. Leaves me with 200 points left and i like to bring a beast along Horti let them both jump around some enemy units which leaves some room for cogs so my blightkings can charge better and Gutrot too.

so in short

GUO / Rotigus / Horti / Gutrot

30 PB / 20 marauders / 10 PBK

beast of nurgle and cogs.

what ya guys think?

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

So as i said earlier I have an tournmanet coming and was worried how to play, what kind of Nurgle armie to bring. I was thinking of something completely different (from my point of video that is). I love the GUO's so i bring two of them (rotigus for his deluge and GUO bell/blade for +1 cast and the extra movement). Furthermore, I like to plant trees, for summoning points (when not shut down), and as a pojnt to summon from and as kind of wall and in the vicinity of objectives, so Horti will join to (that means very big change to have three trees at the end of my first movement phase). Talkin anout movement phase always nice for extra summong points to get Gutrot in the back...so lets bring him too. That's 4 heros (4 spells, feculants and a hero in the enemies zone). Now for battleline, the bell/blade guy will support 30 plaguebearers (nice to have such a big blob around objectives), obviously Gutrot brings some friends in the enemy zone 10 blightkings that is. Stilk need some more battleline...well i had 20 marauders layin around (wish i had more, but i dont have for now) let these guys be the canonfodder in front of Rotigus. Leaves me with 200 points left and i like to bring a beast along Horti let them both jump around some enemy units which leaves some room for cogs so my blightkings can charge better and Gutrot too.

so in short

GUO / Rotigus / Horti / Gutrot

30 PB / 20 marauders / 10 PBK

beast of nurgle and cogs.

what ya guys think?

Very risky, rotigus is ok but 7+ casting is 50% but actually is leds because of dispelling. You are in The same boat with gutrot you need 8+ to get The charge (yes you can reroll ). I think you are in bad spot against tier 1 and  2 armies. You Will be completely destroyed if get against seraphon, slaanesh and skaven. Flesh-eaters and nagash Will be tough too against DoK , idoneth and stormcast.

You better put your eggs only in one basket daemons or mortals. Can you get another Guo for thricefold befoulment?

So I'm new to AOS and Maggotkin of Nurgle, I bought a start collecting box of daemons of nurgle and the maggotkin battletome and I'm at a loss of where to start with my army.  Where do I go from here? 

Is a pure daemon/mortals list better then a mixed list? Am I required to take a battalion from the battletome or do I have the option of building my own?

From what I can tell the only two battalions everyone really talks about our Blight Cyst and Thricefold Befoulment.

I like the Thricefold Befoulment but I'm not sure of what battlelines would be the most effective for it. Outside of the standard plaguebearers. I was thinking maybe blightkings with a Gutrot Spume and 2 units of plaguedrones. Gutrot deepstriking behind the enemy to cause confusion plaguedrones as a alpha strike force  and using a umbrel spell portal to benefit the thricefold but I'm not sure if that is a good strategy or if I would even have the points to really pull it off. 

Any advice you could give a newbie would be very much appreciated! 

4 hours ago, marinatedheadstone said:

So I'm new to AOS and Maggotkin of Nurgle, I bought a start collecting box of daemons of nurgle and the maggotkin battletome and I'm at a loss of where to start with my army.  Where do I go from here? 

Is a pure daemon/mortals list better then a mixed list? Am I required to take a battalion from the battletome or do I have the option of building my own?

From what I can tell the only two battalions everyone really talks about our Blight Cyst and Thricefold Befoulment.

I like the Thricefold Befoulment but I'm not sure of what battlelines would be the most effective for it. Outside of the standard plaguebearers. I was thinking maybe blightkings with a Gutrot Spume and 2 units of plaguedrones. Gutrot deepstriking behind the enemy to cause confusion plaguedrones as a alpha strike force  and using a umbrel spell portal to benefit the thricefold but I'm not sure if that is a good strategy or if I would even have the points to really pull it off. 

Any advice you could give a newbie would be very much appreciated! 

You have no option to build your own battalion. Not sure this exists anywhere in age of sigmar. If you choose to build thricefold, 60 plaguebearers is a start. blightkings and gutrot are a good option. There really isnt any mystery haha. Sounds like you have it figured out. This book is simple and easy to see which options are good and which are clearly bad. 

How do feel about the new endless spells? Could, especially those movement shenanigans, be good for us? Lauchon is great, but loosing 1 out of 5 blightkings.....kinda sucks. I feel that the bridge and those pyramids might be worth tryin, especially the pyramids....what happens if you use glorious afflictions on a unit that has crossed the line between the pyramids? I guess it's not half of half the movement.

5 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

How do feel about the new endless spells? Could, especially those movement shenanigans, be good for us? Lauchon is great, but loosing 1 out of 5 blightkings.....kinda sucks. I feel that the bridge and those pyramids might be worth tryin, especially the pyramids....what happens if you use glorious afflictions on a unit that has crossed the line between the pyramids? I guess it's not half of half the movement.

Lauchon teleporting big units of plaguebearers/plague monks/marauders around is obviously great. There a few ways that movement during a hero phase could be interesting. For example, it seems like you could use Lauchon to retreat units away from a threat, allowing them to move and charge later in the same turn... It will make it a lot easier for slow armies to get a big unit to either engage the enemy or move into a strategically advantageous position on turn 1. I bet there will be some creative use of that spell enabling some new strategies.

I'm way less interested in the bridges. Kind of like a convoluted way of granting units fly, but the restriction of having to place your models more than 9" away from enemy units limits how you can use this a lot. With all our movement shenanigans, I don't think we'll benefit much from that spell.

13 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

Lauchon teleporting big units of plaguebearers/plague monks/marauders around is obviously great. There a few ways that movement during a hero phase could be interesting. For example, it seems like you could use Lauchon to retreat units away from a threat, allowing them to move and charge later in the same turn... It will make it a lot easier for slow armies to get a big unit to either engage the enemy or move into a strategically advantageous position on turn 1. I bet there will be some creative use of that spell enabling some new strategies.

I'm way less interested in the bridges. Kind of like a convoluted way of granting units fly, but the restriction of having to place your models more than 9" away from enemy units limits how you can use this a lot. With all our movement shenanigans, I don't think we'll benefit much from that spell.

It is "wholly within" 3... So I think there is no real chance to get "big" units sped up :(

Also I already missing points in my lists haha so I think for me my movement shananigans will be still reduced to the GUO bell :D