AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Talking about our nice rotbringer mortals spells. What do you think about magnificent buboes? With portal you also would be able to cast it outside of 30 unbind range and give a enemy caster - 1 to hit, casts and unbinds +D3 dmg. 

Even without portal or balewind the Range is nice with 21'.

Sounds not too bad for me? 

Hm without drones or monks or mauraders I'm not sure if blades is worth it. I'm planning to play with 2x30 plaguebearers and 1x10 Bks to deepstrike with gutrod. So I have no real worth target for blades... Maybe plaguebearers buffed by GUO command but... Meh 

That's why Im thinking about the magnificent buboes because I plan to play with Festus and a sorcerer to make the most out of the balewind and portals ;)

39 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Hm without drones or monks or mauraders I'm not sure if blades is worth it. I'm planning to play with 2x30 plaguebearers and 1x10 Bks to deepstrike with gutrod. So I have no real worth target for blades... Maybe plaguebearers buffed by GUO command but... Meh 

That's why Im thinking about the magnificent buboes because I plan to play with Festus and a sorcerer to make the most out of the balewind and portals ;)

What about blades with Chaos Knights? If you have the Lord on Daemonic mount (who I take sometimes and use him to buff drones) he gives them +1 to hit with his command ability, meaning their blades putrefy on 5+, and the leader on 4+.  (And you get the mounts' attacks on top of that as well).

11 minutes ago, TheVenerableBede said:

What about blades with Chaos Knights? If you have the Lord on Daemonic mount (who I take sometimes and use him to buff drones) he gives them +1 to hit with his command ability, meaning their blades putrefy on 5+, and the leader on 4+.  (And you get the mounts' attacks on top of that as well).

Sure the combo is very good. For me it only looks like a one trick pony and I like to have more options and give my enemy more to think about :)

What I want to say is if the combo goes off and you can charge the right target and you are not debuffed etc it is devastating. (like 4 buffed drones?) 

Without active blades on chaos knights, they are OK but not too good besides you invest even more points to support them like harbinger etc. 

I want to make a 2000pt Mortal Nurgle list.

Currently I'm thinking about taking these units:

HQ:

Sorcerer

Harbringer of Decay

Lord of Blights

Units:

10 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

1 Chaos Warshrine

Blight Cyst battalion

Currenty this reaches 1440 points, what could I add to reach 2000pt? Or is there something I should remove?

I also wanted to ask if I need demons for the contagion points.

Thank you

10 hours ago, Hideaki said:

I want to make a 2000pt Mortal Nurgle list.

Currently I'm thinking about taking these units:

HQ:

Sorcerer

Harbringer of Decay

Lord of Blights

Units:

10 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

1 Chaos Warshrine

Blight Cyst battalion

Currenty this reaches 1440 points, what could I add to reach 2000pt? Or is there something I should remove?

I also wanted to ask if I need demons for the contagion points.

Thank you

Looks good so far. You could consider adding gutrot spume for deep strike shenanigans. I would opt for perhaps 30 plagueboys for getting bodies on the board or some other hoard unit (maruarders or plague monks) but they kinda loose their edge without the glotkin. 

I really enjoy having a GUO allongside my Blight kings for the extra movement, it can be very valuable during the game. 

And no deamons are not needed for contagion points, these are due to the alliance towards Papa nurgle. But you might want to get some for summons.

So to be fair you have 2 routes; all out mortals with maxed out blight kings 35 Ish or more bodies.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpQg said:

Looks good so far. You could consider adding gutrot spume for deep strike shenanigans. I would opt for perhaps 30 plagueboys for getting bodies on the board or some other hoard unit (maruarders or plague monks) but they kinda loose their edge without the glotkin. 

I really enjoy having a GUO allongside my Blight kings for the extra movement, it can be very valuable during the game. 

And no deamons are not needed for contagion points, these are due to the alliance towards Papa nurgle. But you might want to get some for summons.

So to be fair you have 2 routes; all out mortals with maxed out blight kings 35 Ish or more bodies.. 

Thanks a lot, I'will have to think about this

18 hours ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Dont stop there! Give the CLoDM the carrion dirge artefact and the hideous visage command trait for a total of -5 to bravery! GUO with bell and/or the cycle at stage one go for alpha strike. ALSO, the CLoDM command ability to give +1 to hit is NOT capped at one application per unit. So you could hit the knights with it two or even three times, be doing mortals on 4s!! with a -5 to bravery. Thats a nice alpha strike.

4 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Dont stop there! Give the CLoDM the carrion dirge artefact and the hideous visage command trait for a total of -5 to bravery! GUO with bell and/or the cycle at stage one go for alpha strike. ALSO, the CLoDM command ability to give +1 to hit is NOT capped at one application per unit. So you could hit the knights with it two or even three times, be doing mortals on 4s!! with a -5 to bravery. Thats a nice alpha strike.

Yes, I like it, great stuff! And what about allying in a Beast of Chaos wizard to cast the Wildfire Torus, send it into that Ghoul King on Terrorgheist to make it fight last, and then hit it with the putrefacted knights.

OK, that's a lot of moving parts there, but I bet it would be immense fun if it came off. 😁

20 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Looks nice in theory. But after going full Lannister for some lists, I grew really tired of it. It is really, really frustrating to stack up these nice little scary tactics just to have your opponent do the morale immune cp thingy (if they have to use it, as a lot of armies have access to some kind of morale immunity).

And yes, forcing your enemy to spend this cp can also be seen as part of the tactic, but I prefer the "wiping a whole unit in a single turn" aspect of the hobby.

4 hours ago, extermina said:

Looks nice in theory. But after going full Lannister for some lists, I grew really tired of it. It is really, really frustrating to stack up these nice little scary tactics just to have your opponent do the morale immune cp thingy (if they have to use it, as a lot of armies have access to some kind of morale immunity).

And yes, forcing your enemy to spend this cp can also be seen as part of the tactic, but I prefer the "wiping a whole unit in a single turn" aspect of the hobby.

With just one +1 to hit, you are looking at doing 29-34 damage to a unit with 4+ saves.  This pushes up into the 40s with one more +1 to hit bump. 

Capture.JPG

On 5/6/2019 at 3:54 AM, Zplash said:

Sure the combo is very good. For me it only looks like a one trick pony and I like to have more options and give my enemy more to think about :)

What I want to say is if the combo goes off and you can charge the right target and you are not debuffed etc it is devastating. (like 4 buffed drones?) 

Without active blades on chaos knights, they are OK but not too good besides you invest even more points to support them like harbinger etc. 

The command ability stacks by the way

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Mortal wound would trigger volcanic blood. 

C0D87602-B263-444B-AE65-FE6B85E84B4F.png

in regard to the discussion earlier:

This has been FAQ'ed: It does not go of on Mortal wounds.

12 minutes ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Are you talking about volcanic blood not going off on mortal wounds, or bloated with corruption?

Ah the picture didn't make over - yes to volcanic blood :)

Hey all! I'm currently scoping out Maggotkin as my second army.

Here's the caveat: I want to do pure daemons, and I want to be able to field the list in 40k.

Would 2 of the start collecting boxes + a GUO do me right? I don't need the army to be particularly competitive, and from what I've seen of maggotkin in action I'd be perfectly alright with being good at just staying on the board and playing objectives.

Also what's a good amount of gnarlmaws to own?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Hideaki said:

Nurgle sorcerer still WiP, what do you guys think?

Beautiful! Will look great on the table.

48 minutes ago, soak314 said:

Would 2 of the start collecting boxes + a GUO do me right?

What size games are you looking to play at first? I recommend getting 10 more plaguebearers so you can field a full unit of 30 where their unit size buffs improves their tankiness substantially. But that will only leave you with 1 unit of battleline.

50 minutes ago, soak314 said:

IMO you should have no less than 2, ideally 3 or more. You start with one for free and will regularly summon them even without horticulous slimux. They're very useful.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, soak314 said:

Hey all! I'm currently scoping out Maggotkin as my second army.

Here's the caveat: I want to do pure daemons, and I want to be able to field the list in 40k.

Would 2 of the start collecting boxes + a GUO do me right? I don't need the army to be particularly competitive, and from what I've seen of maggotkin in action I'd be perfectly alright with being good at just staying on the board and playing objectives.

Cheers.

I’d just do one Gnarlmaw unless you want to grab a Slimux then I’d own three.  You’d want to own 6-7 if you want to run a menagerie.  I also wouldn’t run a menagerie.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2019 at 2:40 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

With just one +1 to hit, you are looking at doing 29-34 damage to a unit with 4+ saves.  This pushes up into the 40s with one more +1 to hit bump. 

Sorry, I was just talking about the bravery part :)

11 hours ago, soak314 said:

I'm not sure about 40k, but I play deamons only in AoS. Thricefold Befoulment with lots of Plaguebearers and some Drones ist actually quite good. If you don't need/want to be competetive, there are some cool options. You said you want to be able to stay on objectives forever? Take a look at the Tallyband of Nurgle. I think it would fit your playstyle well and gives you some guidance on what to buy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

12 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

What size games are you looking to play at first?

At least 1k for painting goals, maybe 1.5k for playing with actual options. I've considered big blobs of plaguebearers, and at least 30 or so of em is looking pretty achievable after gunning for 100+ grots for my gloomspite army. I do feel the AoS side of nurgle could have benefitted a bit from nurglings as battleline, as in 40k.

12 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

IMO you should have no less than 2, ideally 3 or more. You start with one for free and will regularly summon them even without horticulous slimux. They're very useful.

11 hours ago, Darkfine said:

I’d just do one Gnarlmaw unless you want to grab a Slimux then I’d own three.  You’d want to own 6-7 if you want to run a menagerie.  I also wouldn’t run a menagerie. 

Gotcha. Horticulous is definitely high on the list to get, I dig the model and on paper he seems super useful and tanky. Menagerie is honestly hilarious on paper, and if I had a lot more disposable funds I'd probably build an army around it for fun.

2 hours ago, extermina said:

You said you want to be able to stay on objectives forever? Take a look at the Tallyband of Nurgle. I think it would fit your playstyle well and gives you some guidance on what to buy.

... that's actually perfect! I tend to glaze over a bit for the warscroll battalions bit when I go over new books, but Tallyband is super achievable and the rules are quite nice, thanks!

• Like 2

So, I’m curious if anyone else is struggling to stay relevant lately?  

The army has always been dependent on getting spells off and stacking various bonuses but it doesn’t feel like enough anymore.

Has Nurgle just naturally passed out of the limelight for the time being?