AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

43 minutes ago, SpQg said:

Are you sure about BoP triggering Volcanic blood, the warscroll specifies "each time a wound is allocated...". As BoP inflicts mortal wounds this is usually specificly mentioned, as such is should have been "each time a wound or mortal wound is allocated..." for BoP to trigger the ability - the wound itself would trigger the effect but not both.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Also, if you roll a 6+ to hit so get the MW, but fail the wound roll, or the thing passes its save, have you really inflicted a wound with a melee weapon? I would say not.

5 hours ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Also, if you roll a 6+ to hit so get the MW, but fail the wound roll, or the thing passes its save, have you really inflicted a wound with a melee weapon? I would say not.

Mortal wound would trigger volcanic blood. 

C0D87602-B263-444B-AE65-FE6B85E84B4F.png

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

2 hours ago, frostfire said:

Can a Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore be fitting in a nurgle list? He seems to be better than most of our mortal wizards. 

Yes. It can be given the nurgle keyword so therefor is not an ally. It would also be given one of the mortal nurgle spells. I would suggest magnificent buboes to compliment the (potentially extremely potent) damaging spell he has (winds of chaos)

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

6 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yes. It can be given the nurgle keyword so therefor is not an ally. It would also be given one of the mortal nurgle spells. I would suggest magnificent buboes to compliment the (potentially extremely potent) damaging spell he has (winds of chaos)

I didnt even think about that. For 200 points he seems significantly better than our expensive nurgle models like horticulous slimux, the maggoth lords or the lord of affliction.

8 hours ago, Riavan said:

I didnt even think about that. For 200 points he seems significantly better than our expensive nurgle models like horticulous slimux, the maggoth lords or the lord of affliction.

And I thick the Corruptor of skaven is also an excellent replace for wizard. 260pts for a wizard with 4+save and 5+fnp who cast twice per turn along with a horde-killing spell, hell it is insane.:D  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frostfire said:

And I thick the Corruptor of skaven is also an excellent replace for wizard. 260pts for a wizard with 4+save and 5+fnp who cast twice per turn along with a horde-killing spell, hell it is insane.:D  

And he can bring the warp vortex endless spell!

• Like 1

You can ONLY use the Verminlord Corrupter in a nurgle army without it being an ally.  The other skaven casters would be allies and couldn't be given  a spell from the lore of nurgle. This is because the corrupter (along with all pestilens units) have the nurgle keyword. So the VLC would be given a spell from the lore of nurgle. He is a NURGLE DEMON WIZARD and a NURGLE DEMON HERO, so can be given demonic boon artefacts and command traits, if he is the general. @Riavan

P.S I hope i am not annoyingly dominating the conversation in this thread. I am 100% dedicated to nurgle. Its my only army, other then a small fledgling spiderfang force. But I am just obsessed. If needed I will chill :)

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You can ONLY use the Verminlord Corrupter in a nurgle army without it being an ally.  The other skaven casters would be allies and couldn't be given  a spell from the lore of nurgle. This is because the corrupter (along with all pestilens units) have the nurgle keyword. So the VLC would be given a spell from the lore of nurgle. He is a NURGLE DEMON WIZARD and a NURGLE DEMON HERO, so can be given demonic boon artefacts and command traits, if he is the general. @Riavan

P.S I hope i am not annoyingly dominating the conversation in this thread. I am 100% dedicated to nurgle. Its my only army, other then a small fledgling spiderfang force. But I am just obsessed. If needed I will chill :)

Chill not. Your input is appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Basically focusing on the Skaven units especially clan pestilens because they are newly polished and incredibly good. The most favorable units that have caught my eye are the plague monk and the VLC. They just fit in Nurgle so well initially. Came up with this:

Allegiance: Nurgle
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
Verminlord Corruptor (260)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 189

I've got  marauders with 5+save and 5+ 6+fnp as the screen. I've got VLC for his anti-horde nuclear bomb (maybe even his CA). And I've got 40 plagues monk as one of my melee killer for 7 attacks each with Blades of Putrefaction which means approximately 40 MWs if you send them unharmed  to your enemy's face. And the PBKs of course, for their durability.

This seems to be practical but protecting the monks is not an easy task for they don't get buffed from the harbinger nor the warshrine.

Any suggestion from Grandfather's children?:P

23 minutes ago, frostfire said:

Basically focusing on the Skaven units especially clan pestilens because they are newly polished and incredibly good. The most favorable units that have caught my eye are the plague monk and the VLC. They just fit in Nurgle so well initially. Came up with this:

The Glottkin (420)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Axes
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

I've got  marauders with 5+save and 5+ 6+fnp as the screen. I've got VLC for his anti-horde nuclear bomb (maybe even his CA). And I've got 40 plagues monk as one of my melee killer for 7 attacks each with Blades of Putrefaction which means approximately 40 MWs if you send them unharmed  to your enemy's face. And the PBKs of course, for their durability.

This seems to be practical but protecting the monks is not an easy task for they don't get buffed from the harbinger nor the warshrine.

Yeah plague monks are incredibly good. You have different options to defend them a little bit better:

plague furnace instead of warshrine for battleshock immunity and it isn't bad itself. Good prayer and durable etc. 

Spell of glottkin on them doubles the wound and halves your losses. 

A lord of blight is a pretty good support for them with his CA - 2 to hit for shooting... That could be important I think. 

I like the combo with the glottkin. I would like to see glottkin more often on our nurgle tables but the decision is hard for the cost of 420.

52 minutes ago, frostfire said:

The Glottkin (420)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Axes
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

This list is SO command point hungry. Be careful because you are going to NEED inspiring presence to keep the bobo's around. But also for the Harbinger. And Glottkin. Also, Glottkin can only have one spell.. cant know two from the lores of nurgle. I think you are going to find command points will be your achilles heel with this particular list. Also, might as well take the soul snare shackles  and still keep that command point. 

10 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

This list is SO command point hungry. Be careful because you are going to NEED inspiring presence to keep the bobo's around. But also for the Harbinger. And Glottkin. Also, Glottkin can only have one spell.. cant know two from the lores of nurgle. I think you are going to find command points will be your achilles heel with this particular list. Also, might as well take the soul snare shackles  and still keep that command point. 

Exactly what I concern. The consumption of  CPs  depends. If marauders die out , I think I might not use the Harbinger's CA, just to keep the rats around. And maybe bringing a  plague furnace as @Zplash said is a good choice for giving the rats even more attacks and battleshock immunity?

19 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Agree with everyone else, your input is very much appreciated. Like you, i am also only dedicated to Nurgle really, although I have some Skaven and a bunch of (now retconned/obsolete) Orcs and Goblins from my WHFB days.

Regarding Skaven, you say we can take non-Pestilens as allies? Is that true? I only have general's handbook 2018 as my guide, and haven't seen the new Skaven book, but there it lists our allies as basically non-Tzeench StoD, Everchosen, Beasts and Monsters. No Skaven.

If we can, then a cheapo Skyre wizard + WLV is tempting...

Edited by TheVenerableBede

On 4/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Mortal wound would trigger volcanic blood. 

C0D87602-B263-444B-AE65-FE6B85E84B4F.png

Sorry to return to the Magmadroth again, but do you know how volcanic blood might play with the command trait Bloated with Corruption? Would the mortal wounds that the damn thing causes to my hero, then potentially be bounced back again to it via the command trait?

3 hours ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Sorry to return to the Magmadroth again, but do you know how volcanic blood might play with the command trait Bloated with Corruption? Would the mortal wounds that the damn thing causes to my hero, then potentially be bounced back again to it via the command trait?

No because bloated with corruption is not a melee weapon. It would have to come from a weapon profile on the warscroll :) And I think you're right about the allies. I could have sworn skaven was in that list. Dont have my battletome with me. Yeah because the grey seer is ridiculously undercosted. 

I really need a motivational speech. I know Nurgles might waxes and wanes, but seeing al those new battletomes wich generate command points, let you attack twice or more in a row, antimagic etc. etc. I feel it wanes very hard for us poor Nurgle lovers. Blightkings and blades of putrefaction gets shut down due to al the -1 to hit, a lot of stronger magic armies or antimagic ones shutdowns the thricefold.....so wat do we have then?

how do i play Nurgle and might be able to win from al these new OP armies? 

Or am I to negative?

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

I really need a motivational speech. I know Nurgles might waxes and wanes, but seeing al those new battletomes wich generate command points, let you attack twice or more in a row, antimagic etc. etc. I feel it wanes very hard for us poor Nurgle lovers. Blightkings and blades of putrefaction gets shut down due to al the -1 to hit, a lot of stronger magic armies or antimagic ones shutdowns the thricefold.....so wat do we have then?

Or am I to negative?

Well, slaanesh just lost its -1 to hit.... But was reinforced on anti magic 🙂

However nurgle has both the wheel AND summoning, coupled with really resistant units in a game focusing on objectives taking.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Or am I to negative?

Well, I´m not the most experienced player, but what I noticed in ANY tabletop I´ve ever played: to know your own army in and out, all its secrets, its trenghts and weaknesses is better that running the actual hot ******! Don´t bother with doubts about how weak your army is, just play it and learn to fight with it.

That being said personally I´m still thriled by a bell GUO accompanied by a unit of 30 Plaguebearers. Though I struggle with dealing enough damage. Sometimes not dying isn´t enough to win a game.

• Like 1

Guys, short question about archaon. 

His helm of dominance ability to adjust battleshock rolls by 2 up or down, can it be used to trigger the plague flies or plaguebearers ability to regain models with a roll of 1?

I know it says unmodified but a guy at our shop told me archaon ability is not modifying the roll. It adjust it? 

What do you think about that? 

2 hours ago, Zplash said:

Guys, short question about archaon. 

His helm of dominance ability to adjust battleshock rolls by 2 up or down, can it be used to trigger the plague flies or plaguebearers ability to regain models with a roll of 1?

I know it says unmodified but a guy at our shop told me archaon ability is not modifying the roll. It adjust it? 

What do you think about that? 

Adjusting is modifying I'd say