AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Draakur said:

Newer player here guys - it seems we don’t think much of Beasts of Nurgle? I havent seen them in lists at all so far, are they just not considered strong/competitive enough to feature?

1) there damage output is not very reliable with two attacks d6 claws and 1 tongue.

2) not very fast

3) 5+ save and 5+ DR isnt that good on a 7 wound unit with all those mortal wounds flyin around these days.

4) you pay 100 points for something what is a little bit.....meh

If you want to use them, and i dont say they’re competetive, but the most usefull is when using the battalion Menagerie with horticulous.

1) damage output is better if you have horticulous when a daemon hero is around a beast you add 1 to the dmg chaacteristic and if the hero is horti then you can re-roll charge rolls an dhit rols of 1. Furthermore, you dont stay in combat with these beats you retreat! You must use them as ping-pong balls, charge, retreat, bounce around the enemy and charge retreat and try to keep them busy with your beast. Before the retreat move at a 4+ he gives d3 mortal wounds.. it’s a funny little tacti and works best, in my experience with two beasts and horti....still a lotof points on the table then. Horti and two beast 420 and im not counting the battlion.

btw i love beasts, such great lookin models with fun fluff....

2) speed can be better cause with trees (feculant) you can run and charge, and horti can dump an extra tree for free and since i said you should use the menagerie battalion you can add a tree every herophase. (The menagerie even lets you set them up from units from that battalion, which coukd be the beasts)

3) with more beasts, say 3 around an enemy unit charging and retreating you talk about 21 wounds the opponent have to chew through and i think i’s best if the beast are seperate units.

4) cant change the points....nothing to do to make that better so for the thingies i described above, which are fun, but not very competetive and certanly not against a smart opponent. So we have horti + 3 beasts + battlion is 740 points, and i think you still dont have the minimum requirements of the battalion at this moment, and the battalion does not include battleline units.

ling story short, not competetive but can be fun in friendly games with those beast annoyingly bouncing around an enemy unit pinned down. I think if the beasts could be made battleline with horti as a general! Ooh that would be nice.....then you could get the menagerie and have automatically filledthe battleline requirements at 2k game and can fill the rest of the army with what ever you like...GU’s drones! Drones, drones! And just summon plaguebearers onto objctives. Obviously you still have to deploy the trees smartly to give the contagion points, but i thinki woukd giveit a shot if bests where battleline with horti as general.

Edited by Fluxlord
Forgot something
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

1) there damage output is not very reliable with two attacks d6 claws and 1 tongue.

2) not very fast

3) 5+ save and 5+ DR isnt that good on a 7 wound unit with all those mortal wounds flyin around these days.

4) you pay 100 points for something what is a little bit.....meh

If you want to use them, and i dont say they’re competetive, but the most usefull is when using the battalion Menagerie with horticulous.

1) damage output is better if you have horticulous when a daemon hero is around a beast you add 1 to the dmg chaacteristic and if the hero is horti then you can re-roll charge rolls an dhit rols of 1. Furthermore, you dont stay in combat with these beats you retreat! You must use them as ping-pong balls, charge, retreat, bounce around the enemy and charge retreat and try to keep them busy with your beast. Before the retreat move at a 4+ he gives d3 mortal wounds.. it’s a funny little tacti and works best, in my experience with two beasts and horti....still a lotof points on the table then. Horti and two beast 420 and im not counting the battlion.

btw i love beasts, such great lookin models with fun fluff....

2) speed can be better cause with trees (feculant) you can run and charge, and horti can dump an extra tree for free and since i said you should use the menagerie battalion you can add a tree every herophase. (The menagerie even lets you set them up from units from that battalion, which coukd be the beasts)

3) with more beasts, say 3 around an enemy unit charging and retreating you talk about 21 wounds the opponent have to chew through and i think i’s best if the beast are seperate units.

4) cant change the points....nothing to do to make that better so for the thingies i described above, which are fun, but not very competetive and certanly not against a smart opponent. So we have horti + 3 beasts + battlion is 740 points, and i think you still dont have the minimum requirements of the battalion at this moment, and the battalion does not include battleline units.

ling story short, not competetive but can be fun in friendly games with those beast annoyingly bouncing around an enemy unit pinned down. I think if the beasts could be made battleline with horti as a general! Ooh that would be nice.....then you could get the menagerie and have automatically filledthe battleline requirements at 2k game and can fill the rest of the army with what ever you like...GU’s drones! Drones, drones! And just summon plaguebearers onto objctives. Obviously you still have to deploy the trees smartly to give the contagion points, but i thinki woukd giveit a shot if bests where battleline with horti as general.

This is one hell of a response - thanks so much for taking the time!

Shame to hear they’re not strong, and I can certainly see why based on some of those numbers and details. I freaking love the models, but yep - is what it is. 

As much as I want to get into this hobby with a competitive mindset and see how far I can take myself on that front, I do ultimately need to enjoy the models I’m playing, and I imagine I’ll probably end up going with something like an 80/20 rule - with most of my force being designed with competition in mind, but still with just a unit or two I have in purely for the joy of them 😁 

If I do end up going Nurgle I’ll be looking back to this info mate 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riavan said:

I just got th godsworn warband. What is the best way to build it all for nurgly boys? Which manticore - can I even use that? Chariot type, warrior weapons?

For warriors ALWAYS go shield and sword (sometimes called sword and board). I like the chaos sorcerer lord on manticore. Only 200 points, and his unique spell, winds of chaos, is DOPE. Gorebeast chariots are superior to the regular ones, but neither is very competitive ATM. Gotta wait for new StD/Everchosen (darkoath) book!

• Thanks 1

I think there is an argument to be made for taking warriors with halberds under certain circumstances. ie: You have a lot of them and are using Blades of Putrefaction. With the extra reach provided by the halberd allowing you to fight "in two ranks" you are ramping up your chances of getting the mortal wounds to pop. Fringe case I know but worth considering!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JCar09 said:

One question, u can use putrid offering with GUO more than one time force the same spell? U use this skill before the roll?

Never thought of that, i dont interpret it the way you say.

When to attempt to cast/unbind a spell (the moment for the dice roll that is) you offer and take a mortal wound and then add 1 to your attempt to cast/unbind (which is the roll at that time).

so only once per spell/unbind and before the roll indeed.

21 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Never thought of that, i dont interpret it the way you say.

When to attempt to cast/unbind a spell (the moment for the dice roll that is) you offer and take a mortal wound and then add 1 to your attempt to cast/unbind (which is the roll at that time).

so only once per spell/unbind and before the roll indeed.

Does the plague wind also affect the caster of the spell?

1 hour ago, JCar09 said:

Does the plague wind also affect the caster of the spell?

Not directly, you pick a point 14” from closest point from caster (rim of the base), but the spell works if the line crosses the base so the casters base is mot crossed simce its defined as one of the endpoints.

indirectly you could use the spell portal and you could heal the guo this way.

E9115257-8BD8-46F2-9B5B-70BEB297DED0.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

Not directly, you pick a point 14” from closest point from caster (rim of the base), but the spell works if the line crosses the base so the casters base is mot crossed simce its defined as one of the endpoints.

indirectly you could use the spell portal and you could heal the guo this way.

E9115257-8BD8-46F2-9B5B-70BEB297DED0.jpeg

Hm I understood that the line of the spell is not drawn back to the portal its always back to the casting GUO so no chance to heal himself? 

U measure 14 inch from the portal that's fine but the line goes back to the casting GUO. 

58 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Hm I understood that the line of the spell is not drawn back to the portal its always back to the casting GUO so no chance to heal himself? 

U measure 14 inch from the portal that's fine but the line goes back to the casting GUO. 

I have been using that portal with plaguewind totally wrong! My bad, indeed after reading and re-reading the faq now i know what it says.

That second part of the picture is wrong indeed. You pick a point from the second portal (14”, point one) and then  back to caster’s base (point two of the line) now it doesnt affect the guo....

i feel stupid 😶

99AEAECB-BFC5-4D70-B748-DAF2077DE723.jpeg

Edited by Fluxlord

3 minutes ago, JCar09 said:

I think this would be the correct way to use plague wind with the portals

guo.png

Incorrect - you'd pick a point 14" from Spell P. 2 and then draw the line back to the GUO so its actually about 34" (accounting for the 1" gap between spell p. 1 and the base size of spell p. 2). 

Edited by SwampHeart
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Incorrect - you'd pick a point 14" from Spell P. 2 and then draw the line back to the GUO so its actually about 34" (accounting for the 1" gap between spell p. 1 and the base size of spell p. 2). 

This is correct. Visualised here:

Plague Wind.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

Literally all these questions were answered in the previous 2 pages of this same thread lol.

Answered yes, understood no.

But it might be caused,  for me at least, by the fact that  English is not my native language. 

Hey fellow Nurgle players,

I just have one question: how do you transport your standard Thricefold Befoulment list? Mine looks like this:

Allegiance: Chaos
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plaue Flail & Massive Bilesword
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
3 x Plague Drones (200)
Thricefold Befoulment (120)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

And all the models are big, fat, clunky dudes :/

12 minutes ago, extermina said:

And all the models are big, fat, clunky dudes :/

I use a Mark III Tablewars Full Size case for mine - easy for flying, driving, etc. Toss some magnets in the base and you're good to go. The case is about 20x10x19" which fits the GUOs no problem and once they're in everything else just kind of fits in around them. Its a bit of an expensive outlay but its been worth it. 

• Thanks 1