AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Im trying to make a list that can beat the gristelgore and Bloodthirster always strike first meta while still be able to stand up against the shooting lists that will be most factions answer. What do you think of this list

GUO witherstave 

Verminlord corruptor 

Lord of blights 

30 plague bearers

20 plague bearers 

5 blight kings 

6 plague drones 

Geminidis 

Warp lightning vortex 

4 hours ago, Sigwarus said:

Im trying to make a list that can beat the gristelgore and Bloodthirster always strike first meta while still be able to stand up against the shooting lists that will be most factions answer. What do you think of this list

GUO witherstave 

Verminlord corruptor 

Lord of blights 

30 plague bearers

20 plague bearers 

5 blight kings 

6 plague drones 

Geminidis 

Warp lightning vortex 

If you lose even 1 model from that unit of 20 plaguebearers, you lose their -1 to be hit modifiers. For me if you aren't taking 30 plaguebearers in a unit, i would prefer to split it into units of 10 to maximizethe chance of ressurecting models in battleshock and allow more movement and blocking shenanigans.

Hi, I'm new with nurgle and I have some doubts.

1º When you use the knife to make mortals and improve the spells with the great demon. Are they made before casting the dice for that spell or after?

2 nurgle wheel, the healing that would correspond to the number 7 happens in all phases or is a step more? In the examples of the book they skip it.
Edited by JCar09

6 minutes ago, JCar09 said:

2 nurgle wheel, the healing that would correspond to the number 7 happens in all phases or is a step more? In the examples of the book they skip it.

It's another step, but  you can't start on it which is good because if you did it would be wasted

2 hours ago, JCar09 said:

When you use the knife to make mortals and improve the spells with the great demon. Are they made before casting the dice for that spell or after? u can use more than once this skill?

You declare what spell you are casting. Before rolling the dice, you declare you are going to use "Putrid Offering." Take one mortal wound. Then roll the casting dice,with the +1. Repeat (if wanted) for the second spell. 

It is unclear whether you can use putrid offering more the once PER SPELL. I have always played it as NO you cant..as that seems to be rules as intended.  Although you can use it more then once PER HERO phase.. like once per each of your spell casts.

Another GUO FAQ question I have is whether plague wind heals the GUO who is casting it?  

I have been getting beaten up with my new list strategy of ditching harbinger and running with plague monks and more kings. Last night against Gloomspite I got wrecked.  One mangler squig charged GUO, killed him (from full health). He got the double turn, then charged my Glottkin (full health) and killed him.  I was slightly out of position, but that was crippling. My reaction: 

JNFPAKE.png?1

I'm going back to the list that I cheated on LOL Maruaders and Harbinger take me back baby!! Going to run this for a few games and see how it works. 192 wounds. With 33% damage mitigation. Gutrot and ten kings strike team. Glottkin buffing his rotting followers. 

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 192

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I'm going back to the list that I cheated on LOL Maruaders and Harbinger take me back baby!! Going to run this for a few games and see how it works. 192 wounds. With 33% damage mitigation. Gutrot and ten kings strike team. Glottkin buffing his rotting followers. 

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)

40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 192

Nice list! I get a real sense the SC Maggotkin (and mortal stuff in general) may be more worth it when GH19 comes out because i can't imagine Pusgoyle Blightlords won't be getting a discount- perhaps even Blightkings as their 6s exploding attack seem worse and worse the more -1 to hit stuff there is out there.

Just now, hughwyeth said:

Nice list! I get a real sense the SC Maggotkin (and mortal stuff in general) may be more worth it when GH19 comes out because i can't imagine Pusgoyle Blightlords won't be getting a discount- perhaps even Blightkings as their 6s exploding attack seem worse and worse the more -1 to hit stuff there is out there.

If they dont make the blighted weapons rule an unmodified 6 to hit, I'm going to saw both my arms off. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I bought just 15 blightkings, i Hope u are right

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If they dont make the blighted weapons rule an unmodified 6 to hit, I'm going to saw both my arms off. 

I think they should make blighted weapons and blades of putrefaction unmodified rolls. Nurgle struggle with damage output at all (we don't need to be big damage dealers- we're resilient which is great, but a paint when you encounter another resilient unit and just know your stuff will sit there till turn 5 because they can't get through anything). 

3 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Blightkings should be 180 for 5. I wouldn't be surprised to see this increase. 

If they make blighted weapons straight unmodified 6, i wouldn't mind. Right now BKs are a good battleline unit, but against -1 to hit, they don't do much, though are resilient. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Another GUO FAQ question I have is whether plague wind heals the GUO who is casting it?  

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that it doesn't. The phrasing on the warscroll is "...draw an imaginary straight line between it and the closest part of the caster..." and the GUO isn't within that line, it's on the end of it. I agree with everything you've said about Putrid Offering - that's how I've been playing it.

A point increase for Blight Kings and a change to make blighted weapons an unmodified 6 would be just fine by me!

Edited by Dreadmund
  • Like 1

@sal4m4nd3rI do like this list to. Great to run rotbringers and a bunch of marauders. A very basic, but punchy list which relies on the Glottkin (and resilience 5+ harbinger obviously), but still has the board presence even if Glot would be gone. Since you have only three heroes, from which two ar named ones, an extra artifact from a battalion woukd be useless so without battalion you can deploy more, and just give Harby his witherstave ( its an option anyway).

What happened with your thoughts on the GUO/Glott list? Why not change the monks to marauders in that list? You dont want to rely on magic, and the failures which you could have casting them?

GUO 

Verminlord corruptor 

Lord of blights 

30 plague bearers 

30 plague bearers 

5 blight kings 

6 plague drones 

Geminidis 

Shackles 

This is my latest list in my struggle to make a list that can beat both gristelgore FEC and shooty stormcast. Opinions? Feels like I got a lot o sustain but no punch at all. 

7 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

@sal4m4nd3rI do like this list to. Great to run rotbringers and a bunch of marauders. A very basic, but punchy list which relies on the Glottkin (and resilience 5+ harbinger obviously), but still has the board presence even if Glot would be gone. Since you have only three heroes, from which two ar named ones, an extra artifact from a battalion woukd be useless so without battalion you can deploy more, and just give Harby his witherstave ( its an option anyway).

What happened with your thoughts on the GUO/Glott list? Why not change the monks to marauders in that list? You dont want to rely on magic, and the failures which you could have casting them?

If I just swap out the monks for maruaders they NEED a harbinger. So I need the points and GUO was the only thing I could take out. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If I just swap out the monks for maruaders they NEED a harbinger. So I need the points and GUO was the only thing I could take out. 

It’s your list ofc,  but you could swap a bunch of blightkings from your former list, and substitute that for the harbinger. That way you save 40 points (marauders are 200) and get an (endless spell maybe, and keep your GUO. Just a thought, i read somewhere you liked to talk about listbuilding.

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

It’s your list ofc,  but you could swap a bunch of blightkings from your former list, and substitute that for the harbinger. That way you save 40 points (marauders are 200) and get an (endless spell maybe, and keep your GUO. Just a thought, i read somewhere you liked to talk about listbuilding.

I love list building. And I kind of want to try spamming blightkings. Most Nurgle lists have 5, MAYBE 10. I want 30 and see how that works 😊

I like blightkings too the list I ran at some tournament recently (not a big tournament btw):

- Orgoth (for CA re-roll wound rolls of 1)

- festus (-1 save spell)

- gutrot 

- harby witherstave

lord of plagues (rustfang) 

i had 30 kings and the plaguecyst to re-roll hitt rolls.

I won my first game against beastclaw raiders ( save 2 models the rest of his army had -1 to hit....ai.

second one was a loss against daughters of khaine (this guy won the tournament btw)

third was a loss again against daughters of khaine list. (I had a change to win this, but my summoning rolls where bad, only needed a hero on a objective, but just had 13 points so coukdnt summon the poxbringer :( )

Anyhow, i liked this list only Orgoth didnt do much and his CA was dissapointing so now im thining of ditching orgoth take 20 marauders and a poxbringer. The idea of the poxbringer is let him cast favoured poxes on a unit so in theory with rustfang, curse of the leper and fav poxes an enemy unit coukd get a -3 on his save, which is great. 

Im also thinking since i still have 20 points left now, to switch plague cyst for blight cyst for the rend. Theoretically that woukd mean that an enemy has effectively a -4 on a unit with rend+fav pox+curse of the leper+rustfang on them. 

And considering im still a noob in this game at a tournament my goals for now arent to win, but to try and see if i can get my little plans working....

53 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

I like blightkings too the list I ran at some tournament recently (not a big tournament btw):

- Orgoth (for CA re-roll wound rolls of 1)

- festus (-1 save spell)

- gutrot 

- harby witherstave

lord of plagues (rustfang) 

i had 30 kings and the plaguecyst to re-roll hitt rolls.

I won my first game against beastclaw raiders ( save 2 models the rest of his army had -1 to hit....ai.

second one was a loss against daughters of khaine (this guy won the tournament btw)

third was a loss again against daughters of khaine list. (I had a change to win this, but my summoning rolls where bad, only needed a hero on a objective, but just had 13 points so coukdnt summon the poxbringer :( )

Anyhow, i liked this list only Orgoth didnt do much and his CA was dissapointing so now im thining of ditching orgoth take 20 marauders and a poxbringer. The idea of the poxbringer is let him cast favoured poxes on a unit so in theory with rustfang, curse of the leper and fav poxes an enemy unit coukd get a -3 on his save, which is great. 

Im also thinking since i still have 20 points left now, to switch plague cyst for blight cyst for the rend. Theoretically that woukd mean that an enemy has effectively a -4 on a unit with rend+fav pox+curse of the leper+rustfang on them. 

And considering im still a noob in this game at a tournament my goals for now arent to win, but to try and see if i can get my little plans working....

Orgotts CA is to reroll all failed wounds not just 1's

Yeah i didnt double check Orgoth CA while typing,  i did use what the warscroll says during the games but all the times i used the ability the wheel was at +1 to wound so i only re rolled 1’s that’s why by head i didnt type it right.

and i dont have a warshrine....