AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Dracan said:

Quick question.. does morbid vigour from a harbinger stack with blightlords disgustingly resilient? So would roll one special save after the other? Never played it like that but someone asked and now I'm wondering.

Yup, Blightlords are mortal nurgle and those rules don't have the same name. You can also stack hit debuff from the Lord of Blights on Plaguebearers btw. Side note: I'm not currently a fan of Blightlords but I think they could quickly become MVPs if they get a point reduction in the upcoming GHB.

7 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Yup, Blightlords are mortal nurgle and those rules don't have the same name. You can also stack hit debuff from the Lord of Blights on Plaguebearers btw. Side note: I'm not currently a fan of Blightlords but I think they could quickly become MVPs if they get a point reduction in the upcoming GHB.

How do you use them? They cant be a hammer/damage dealer. And for me, 14 wounds with a 4+/5+ isnt much of an anvil. And thats always been my problem with them. They arent good at either role, and they cost to many points. If they are stronger beefier blightkings.. why not give them some rend?

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

How do you use them? They cant be a hammer/damage dealer. And for me, 14 wounds with a 4+/5+ isnt much of an anvil. And thats always been my problem with them. They arent good at either role, and they cost to many points. If they are stronger beefier blightkings.. why not give them some rend?

I'd use them as a highly mobile tarpit. 4 to 6 of them with the Lord of Afflictions command ability, wheel, and bell can move 21 inches without running before their charge. You could trap some opponents in their deployment zone for a couple turns (I've lost a game to an Ironjawz player who basically did that despite tabling him turn 4). In units of 2 to 4 they could easily get into the backfield and take out artillery or support characters being tanky and fighty enough to weather some attacks and take out screening units (I've got 2 currently and that's how I've used them). That said, they were never worth their points. One of those units that feels like a good warscroll but is just badly overcosted.

• Thanks 1

A list for an incoming tournament (1750pts):

Allegiance: Nurgle
Lord of Blights (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
Lord of Afflictions (220)
- General
- Trait: Hideous Visage 
- Artefact: The Carrion Dirge 
Epidemius Tallyman of Nurgle (200)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 1740 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

Epidemius can be a good distraction, in cover and in an Edge of The Battlefield.

Lord of Afflictions is a support character rerrolling 1s and giving -4 to bravery

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I recently started playing Age of Sigmar, I managed to get a pretty basic list of blight cyst off of a friend for a pretty good price. So far, I've only played about 11  games or so. Against stormcast for the most part, 1 game against skaven, 1 game against chaos dwarves, and one against khorne mortals. 

I'm slowly beginning to get the rules down, feels like Nurgle has a ton of stuff to remember to do!  There are quite a few things I'm not exactly sure on, my deployments usually feel pretty random and I'm not too sure how I should be forming up my units.  I've just been trying to run at the objective or charge at an enemy unit. 

I've won a few games, but when I lose I'm usually told I was too aggressive, or that I was too defensive. I'm definitely lost when I should take aggressive / defensive roles, go first, or go second.  Maybe there are some good resources out there on the internet I'm missing out, but it's been pretty difficult to find anything too useful, so far. 

My last game was against Khorne, I was completely destroyed. A major part of this was my misunderstand of how Skarbrand worked. I used my LoB and HoD command abilities on my first turn on my unit of marauders and put them on an objective point ( battle for the pass). My opponent then walked up with skarbrand and wiped out 19 guys, then I lost like 17 more to battleshock.  Maybe I should have put them on the otherside of the map to avoid that guy, not sure really.  The next turn went pretty down hill, I couldnt manage to kill skarbrand.

I've looked around on this forum and some others I found on google, so I made this list.  If anyone could point me in direction of some resources, or just general advice to send me in the right direction would be super dope.  I know a lot of people use gutrot, but the games in the games I've played so far I haven't been able to use him very well. 

Nurgle.pdf

12 minutes ago, beaubinski said:

Hey everyone,

I recently started playing Age of Sigmar, I managed to get a pretty basic list of blight cyst off of a friend for a pretty good price. So far, I've only played about 11  games or so. Against stormcast for the most part, 1 game against skaven, 1 game against chaos dwarves, and one against khorne mortals. 

I'm slowly beginning to get the rules down, feels like Nurgle has a ton of stuff to remember to do!  There are quite a few things I'm not exactly sure on, my deployments usually feel pretty random and I'm not too sure how I should be forming up my units.  I've just been trying to run at the objective or charge at an enemy unit. 

I've won a few games, but when I lose I'm usually told I was too aggressive, or that I was too defensive. I'm definitely lost when I should take aggressive / defensive roles, go first, or go second.  Maybe there are some good resources out there on the internet I'm missing out, but it's been pretty difficult to find anything too useful, so far. 

My last game was against Khorne, I was completely destroyed. A major part of this was my misunderstand of how Skarbrand worked. I used my LoB and HoD command abilities on my first turn on my unit of marauders and put them on an objective point ( battle for the pass). My opponent then walked up with skarbrand and wiped out 19 guys, then I lost like 17 more to battleshock.  Maybe I should have put them on the otherside of the map to avoid that guy, not sure really.  The next turn went pretty down hill, I couldnt manage to kill skarbrand.

I've looked around on this forum and some others I found on google, so I made this list.  If anyone could point me in direction of some resources, or just general advice to send me in the right direction would be super dope.  I know a lot of people use gutrot, but the games in the games I've played so far I haven't been able to use him very well. 

Nurgle.pdf

Skarbrand just got some crazy buffs. People on the stormcast thread talking about his craziness too. I'd say throw your heaviest hitters at him with rend.

11 hours ago, Riavan said:

Skarbrand just got some crazy buffs. People on the stormcast thread talking about his craziness too. I'd say throw your heaviest hitters at him with rend.

Actually I think he isnt as good as he was before. It used to be 8 un-negate-able wounds. Nothing could save it. Now its 8 MW..maybe 16 (on a 6). Which are negate-able.  Like If he hit you with 16 MW  it may kill one blightlord within harbinger range with Carnage.  He is good. Buts still a 400 point model that cant fly with 14 wounds and 4+ save. What scares me more is the tyrant of blood battalion allowing 3 Bloodthirsters to pile in from 6" away and attacking before you get to swing. 

One doubt, The putrid offering of The GUO says to take one wound before The dice roll? Or we can use It after The roll?

And as I read nothing prevents to use It more than once in a casting attempt?

English is not my mother language, maybe i didnt read it properly

Edited by peasant

14 minutes ago, peasant said:

One doubt, The putrid offering of The GUO says to take one wound before The dice roll? Or we can use It after The roll?

And as I read nothing prevents to use It more than once in a casting attempt?

English is not my mother language, maybe i didnt read it properly

Has to be before. I always play as only once per cast attempt.. but I’m not 100% sure.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Actually I think he isnt as good as he was before. It used to be 8 un-negate-able wounds. Nothing could save it. Now its 8 MW..maybe 16 (on a 6). Which are negate-able.  Like If he hit you with 16 MW  it may kill one blightlord within harbinger range with Carnage.  He is good. Buts still a 400 point model that cant fly with 14 wounds and 4+ save. What scares me more is the tyrant of blood battalion allowing 3 Bloodthirsters to pile in from 6" away and attacking before you get to swing. 

The big improvement to skarbrand is that those 8 mortal wounds go off on a 1+ if he didn't fight last turn which makes him much more reliable than the previous version. Also, don't forget he can make up to 3 attacks with the axe with wrathmongers and a bloodsecreator, meaning it's 24 guaranteed mortals with a chance of 48. With the right host he also has access to the command ability to attack a second time immediately after the first which would make it a guaranteed 48 mortals, with an expected 56. And he can be part of that tyrants of blood battalion you mentioned. He's not unstoppable, if you keep feeding him chaff and keep him fighting he'll lost the 1+, but definitely don't underestimate him. If you let your opponent set up a perfect situation then nothing will survive a round of combat with skarbrand.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I just want to point out we are at page 77!!!!!

Image result for nurgle gif

Briljant!

btw I played with thricefold today and finally get the hang on it. I find it a tedious battalion to play with to try to get the best out of it.

It was a friendly game so i made a little variation on the common thricefold lists u see passing by on tournaments/fora etc.

i had GUO with bell/blade andtome of a thousand poxes, GUO with bilesword/flail and gyrstrike (grNdfathers blessing), rotigus, festus, 30 plaguebearers, 20 marauders, 5 blightkings, cogs and umbral spellportal.

I went up against some weird Archaon/beast of chaos list, the guy wanted to play Achaon cause he likd the model. 

Well, the spells went of well using plaguestorm theough the portal is awesome, rolling deluge and get 5 4+ woop woop! Foul regenesis to nauseojs revulsion followed by the next round rampant disease and back to nauseous. Blades of putrefaction on Marauders or GUO with gyrstrike wasfun to.....it was fun

I won the game on objectives and didnt pay attention to Archaon. At least i didnt try to kill, just tried to keep him in combat with units to keep up the GUO’s.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Thorsten said:

Could you explain me how the spellportal works I dont rly understand it. 

If you have a wizard within 1" of one of the two spellportal models, once per hero phase you can calculate the range and visibility for a spell cast by that wizard as though your wizard were standing where the second portal is instead. This allows you to increase the range of a single spell considerably, give an AOE buff/debuff to a far away area without your wizard physically standing there or in the case of a spell with a straight line effect such as plague wind, you can use it to get a more favourable angle on that imaginary line to hit more targets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

If you have a wizard within 1" of one of the two spellportal models, once per hero phase you can calculate the range and visibility for a spell cast by that wizard as though your wizard were standing where the second portal is instead. This allows you to increase the range of a single spell considerably, give an AOE buff/debuff to a far away area without your wizard physically standing there or in the case of a spell with a straight line effect such as plague wind, you can use it to get a more favourable angle on that imaginary line to hit more targets.

To be fair, I understood you can't change the angle for plague wind with the portal because you draw the line always back to the middle of your Guo. So you increase your range about 32 but not the angle (no line drawing to the portal model). 

Please correct me if I'm wrong folks :)

16 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

So this means you draw the line from the closest spellportal? or can you also draw a straight line from the spellportal further away (which would make sense imo)? 

Do you try to disspell it in round 2 when playing the thricefold? 

1 hour ago, Zplash said:

To be fair, I understood you can't change the angle for plague wind with the portal because you draw the line always back to the middle of your Guo. So you increase your range about 32 but not the angle (no line drawing to the portal model). 

Please correct me if I'm wrong folks :)

From the wording on the warscroll, I thought that you could use the other spellportal as the origin and draw the line starting from there (as if your GUO was casting into the portal). I'm saying that you could angle the line from the new "anchor point", which is extremely helpful since GUOs are very big and pretty slow, so it allows you to get the most out of the spell that is  buffed massively by the battalion. If that's not true, then Umbral Spellportals seem a lot less useful to thricefold befoulment lists.

1 hour ago, Thorsten said:

So this means you draw the line from the closest spellportal? or can you also draw a straight line from the spellportal further away (which would make sense imo)? 

Do you try to disspell it in round 2 when playing the thricefold? 

Yeah, that's how I've played it in the past. It's incredible for vulnerable units. And yes, you can dispel your own portals to resummon them in a better position if you need to. With so many spells from having 3 GUOs, and with plague wind having such a big impact in a thricefold list, I think that's a valid strategy but it's situational obviously. You wouldn't necessarily need to do it every turn.

Edited by Dreadmund

Ive just bought one glottkin and 10 putrids to assemble this:

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Trait: Hideous Visage 
- Artefact: The Carrion Dirge 
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: The Witherstave 

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 1740 / 1750
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

What do you think? I ve not thought carefully 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

From the wording on the warscroll, I thought that you could use the other spellportal as the origin and draw the line starting from there 

Forget the warscroll,  the spellportal has a FAQ on this exact  question.    Assuming it hasn't changed, you measure the end of the line from the portal,  but the beginning of the line is still the GUO base.   A huge 30+" line!

13 minutes ago, grungolah said:

Forget the warscroll,  the spellportal has a FAQ on this exact  question.    Assuming it hasn't changed, you measure the end of the line from the portal,  but the beginning of the line is still the GUO base.   A huge 30+" line!

Oh, I see. That's very bizarre and not at all how I imagined it working, but I understand and I am very intrigued by the possibilities! Looks like I need to get those portals painted asap! My Thricefold list: "Garbage a Trois" just got a lot better!

3 hours ago, grungolah said:

How do you come up to 30”? Do you mean the 12” from caster + 18” the next portal from the first one?

as i understand you need to be 1” of te fist portal to put a spell through it, so that would mean 1 + 18 + range of the spell.

EE5231CE-41F0-49F4-9EAC-27A3B2B16C14.jpeg.c09bf6c4839c4fbf8ae456b709398878.jpeg

Mmm 1+18+14 = 33 is also 30+, maybe you meant that....

Edited by Fluxlord

12 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

How do you come up to 30”? Do you mean the 12” from caster + 18” the next portal from the first one?

as i understand you need to be 1” of te fist portal to put a spell through it, so that would mean 1 + 18 + range of the spell.

EE5231CE-41F0-49F4-9EAC-27A3B2B16C14.jpeg.c09bf6c4839c4fbf8ae456b709398878.jpeg

Mmm 1+18+14 = 33 is also 30+, maybe you meant that....

33 + the base size of a portal model ;)

That's the max range :)

Hello there, 

long time lurking here Time to start playing !

I signed for a summer campaign with 1k list, it is supposed to be a fun event and here is the list :

winged nurgle demon prince 

Poxbringer with witherstave 

30 plaguebearers 

5 blightkings

3 drones

40 points left, maybe some sorcery ?

Any tips or suggestions ? I have nurglings 2 beast the gardener on snail and a guo too and I may buy 2 or 3 boxes to change this list if needed

here is a wip pic of my blightking for no reason 😉951FB089-43F0-468A-9E29-3B3D27202C92.jpeg.f7a8a46ea0bcd3bf2f4a3d6224aa36c8.jpeg

• Like 2