AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Afternoon all.

I have found my self the proud owner of around 30  plaguebearers and I just love the models but I am not so keen on the blight kings models. So I planning on sticking with daemons rather then mortal but I am not sure what heros to take is it as simple as getting a guo then some support heros to make up the numbers or are the bilepipper and horticulus worth getting?

On 3/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, Temp said:

Afternoon all.

I have found my self the proud owner of around 30  plaguebearers and I just love the models but I am not so keen on the blight kings models. So I planning on sticking with daemons rather then mortal but I am not sure what heros to take is it as simple as getting a guo then some support heros to make up the numbers or are the bilepipper and horticulus worth getting?

guo is a must for a demon heavy army. I think he is best with a bell and bileblade to buff movement and cast spells. Rotigus can be devastating as a long range caster and damage dealer. If you like the guo’s maybe build toward the thricefold befoulment. It’s a very strong Nurgle build. If you do he thricefold, only then is sloppily worth it. Spoilpox is also not worth it. He buffs offensive ability of plaguebearers...whose main/only job is defense. Don’t bother. The poxbringer with favors poxes spell is very powerful.

Horticulous is so underrated. He is a tank, activates the locus on drones, REALLY ramps up summoning. 

Drones are fast and can deal lots of damage. Consider grabbing a mortal sorcerer to have access to blades of putrefaction spell. It’s very very powerful on drones as they have a ton of attacks.

3 hours ago, Angekie said:

Hey guys I’m a super newbie and just bought 2 of the be maggot kin start collecting .  And I kinda wanted a big boi for my army. So far I was thinking bloab, Maggotkin, or an GUO ( rather not rn cause money ) 

Glottkin works best as a force multiplier (with an army with lots and lots of models) for a more elite army like kings and pusgoyles go for a lord of afflictions to roll with the pusgoyles (try to grab a lord of afflictions off eBay so you can build 4 pusgoyles.) 

The GUO is great for blightkings to buff movement with the bell and tossing debuffs on enemies. Poxbringer with favorites poxes is also very strong with blightkings. 

The maggoth lords can be fun but are massively overpriced. (Points) Bloab is the best one, morbidex for nurgling hilarity. Avoid orghots.

• Thanks 1

Guo with bell or rotigus

Lord of plagues

Lord of blights

Harbinger of decay

Lord of afflictions 

Chaos warshrine

Verminlord corruptor

A screen of 40 marauders or 30 plaguebearers or 40 plague Monks, depends on the heroes u choose 

Or if you want to try chaos Warhounds as screen and objective grabbers (but they can't be nurgle marked) 

9 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

guo is a must for a demon heavy army. I think he is best with a bell and bileblade to buff movement and cast spells. Rotigus can be devastating as a long range caster and damage dealer. If you like the guo’s maybe build toward the thricefold befoulment. It’s a very strong Nurgle build. If you do he thricefold, only then is sloppily worth it. Spoilpox is also not worth it. He buffs offensive ability of plaguebearers...whose main/only job is defense. Don’t bother. The poxbringer with favors poxes spell is very powerful.

Horticulous is so underrated. He is a tank, activates the locus on drones, REALLY ramps up summoning. 

Drones are fast and can deal lots of damage. Consider grabbing a mortal sorcerer to have access to blades of putrefaction spell. It’s very very powerful on drones as they have a ton of attacks.

Sloppily worth it in a thricefold? Nahh I mean you get those rerolling 1 anyway with the battalion, so he only gives you charge rerolls. And for 100 points thats a highly overpriced... thats 2 CPs you can reroll anyway or use for other stuff :)

i agree on the rest you have stated but keep in mind all those options are very expensive so mostly you only can go 1 road and not everything at once ;)

6 hours ago, Angekie said:

Soo if I wanted to go a more Blightking focus army what would be preferable 

If you want an army centered around blightkings, blight cyst battalion is decent. It requires the lord of blights who is meh at best though. Give him the rustfang and he becomes a good choice. Harbinger of decay is also good for blightkings, but his short range on the command ability is frustrating for me to use as it wants to keep you huddled in tight. Although he is the picture perfect holder of the witherstave.  Gutrot spume is DOPE because he can outflank with a unit of blightkings. This does several awesome things. It negates thier glacial speed. Gives you a potential turn one charge with 10 kings (since you set-up 9" away from enemies, but +1 charge from musician so only need to roll 8+), guarantees 3 contagion points turn 2, puts a hero potentially near an objective that may require a hero.

I went third overall at NOVA Open Aos GT with this list:

lord of blights with rustfang (artefact)

harbinger of decay with witherstave (artefact), grandfathers blessing (command trait)

Glottkin with gift of contagion (spell)

Gutrot Spume

Chaos warshrine

20 marauders

10 kings/5 kings/5 kings

Blight cyst. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been wracking my brains last night over blight king units. People tend to have a unit of 10.....

Can I ask the main reasoning for this? I'm not a competetive player so perhaps this is to do with objectives?

But having 2 units of 5 would also have benefits; like being able to be in 2 places instead of 1. Also the virulent discharge would have twice the chance of happening so healing each other and wounding the enemy. Also an additional wound thanks to the leader of the unit?

Finally while it was mentioned could someone explain the capturing and holding of objectives, particularly in a competetive scene as I'd like to go to a tournament this year.

Thanks in advance :)

4 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I've been wracking my brains last night over blight king units. People tend to have a unit of 10.....

Can I ask the main reasoning for this? I'm not a competetive player so perhaps this is to do with objectives?

But having 2 units of 5 would also have benefits; like being able to be in 2 places instead of 1. Also the virulent discharge would have twice the chance of happening so healing each other and wounding the enemy. Also an additional wound thanks to the leader of the unit?

Finally while it was mentioned could someone explain the capturing and holding of objectives, particularly in a competetive scene as I'd like to go to a tournament this year.

Thanks in advance :)

Virulent discharge would not have more chances to affect nearby units. the wording is ANY unit, not A unit. So even if one enemy unit is surrounded by 3 different units of blightkings, they are only affected once. Unless that unit is part of a plague cyst. Then they would get two rolls. The main difference for using 10 is that 10 blightkings charging in is more powerful then five. You might not be able to get all 10 in on one combat phase, but probably more then 5. And subsequent pile in's will allow for even more, or to fill the gap where models die. Also... Its very daunting to charge into 10 blightkings and Opponents will think twice. Sometimes go out of the way to avoid them. I also like having gutrot bring ten with him for a shot at a first turn charge. Having ten blightkings in your backfield/your side of the board is NOT something you can ignore. Five is something you can for the most part disregard until it is convenient to deal with them. 

Rules for capturing objectives are in the core rules. I've pasted them here for your convenience. Beyond that, I'm unsure what specifically you are asking about. Keep in mind some missions have unique ways to capture objectives, or the distance varies, or specific unit types must capture them. So be sure to read that battleplan carefully. Especially at a tournament. Unless otherwise noted, these are the rules for capturing them.

OBJECTIVES Battles are sometimes fought to gain control of one or more vitally important locations. In Warhammer Age of Sigmar, these locations are called objectives, and use the following rules. If a battle has any objectives, then the battleplan will say where they are located upon the battlefield. Objectives need to be represented by a suitable marker, such as a coin. Even better, if you have components available, you can model your own objective markers using parts from Citadel Miniatures kits. When measuring distances to and from objectives, always measure to and from the centre of the marker. At the end of each player’s turn, you must check to see if either player has gained control of any objectives. To do so, you and your opponent must count up the number of models you have within 6" of the centre of each objective; you gain control of an objective where your count is higher than your opponent’s count. Once you gain control of an objective, it remains under your control until the enemy is able to gain control of it. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Virulent discharge would not have more chances to affect nearby units. the wording is ANY unit, not A unit. So even if one enemy unit is surrounded by 3 different units of blightkings, they are only affected once. Unless that unit is part of a plague cyst. Then they would get two rolls. The main difference for using 10 is that 10 blightkings charging in is more powerful then five. You might not be able to get all 10 in on one combat phase, but probably more then 5. And subsequent pile in's will allow for even more, or to fill the gap where models die. Also... Its very daunting to charge into 10 blightkings and Opponents will think twice. Sometimes go out of the way to avoid them. I also like having gutrot bring ten with him for a shot at a first turn charge. Having ten blightkings in your backfield/your side of the board is NOT something you can ignore. Five is something you can for the most part disregard until it is convenient to deal with them. 

Rules for capturing objectives are in the core rules. I've pasted them here for your convenience. Beyond that, I'm unsure what specifically you are asking about. Keep in mind some missions have unique ways to capture objectives, or the distance varies, or specific unit types must capture them. So be sure to read that battleplan carefully. Especially at a tournament. Unless otherwise noted, these are the rules for capturing them.

OBJECTIVES Battles are sometimes fought to gain control of one or more vitally important locations. In Warhammer Age of Sigmar, these locations are called objectives, and use the following rules. If a battle has any objectives, then the battleplan will say where they are located upon the battlefield. Objectives need to be represented by a suitable marker, such as a coin. Even better, if you have components available, you can model your own objective markers using parts from Citadel Miniatures kits. When measuring distances to and from objectives, always measure to and from the centre of the marker. At the end of each player’s turn, you must check to see if either player has gained control of any objectives. To do so, you and your opponent must count up the number of models you have within 6" of the centre of each objective; you gain control of an objective where your count is higher than your opponent’s count. Once you gain control of an objective, it remains under your control until the enemy is able to gain control of it. 

Thanks very much, I didn't realise the virulence rule meant it was written that way.

Also I've never considered flanking my unit of 10 Blight kings (I've only a couple of games under my belt) as I don't get to play very often. Hence wanting to go to a tournament to get some more experience/games :)

The capturing of objectives quote is what we have been playing, I've just not played any battle plans with alternate rules yet so I will definately look at reading these just to get my head around them. 

But thank you for the advice and helping me under stand this better :)

Do you think the glottkin is worth taking with a blight cyst and plague bearer support? I'm just toying with ideas for a competetive list at the minute.

• Thanks 1

@sal4m4nd3r

This was the list I was thinking of. Although to be there dosnt seem to be anywhere near enough bodies for me.

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

• Thanks 1

@ReAnimate Studios

lord of blights should have the rustfang to stack with the -1 rend on blightkings given by the battalion. Lord of blights doesn’t have any ability that would proc off the ghryrstrikes +1 hit/wound. Save that for lord of plagues 🤤

Also..either ditch the harbinger for a chaos warshrine OR drop the plaguebearers for 40 marauders which would save you 120 points. The plaguebearers have a natural 5++ and can’t be affected by the harbinger. The marauders can and you get 10 extra bodies. Also they are an attractive candidate for blades..as they have an very easy +1 to hit on whir warscroll. And their icon is natural rr 1s to hit...further procing blades. 

If you drop the harbinger for he warshrine. It’s only a 6+ save..but longer range, and you can pick a unit of kings to rr all wound rolls!! I also like to make ge warshrine NOTA DEVOTED to Nurgle because you still keep the 6++ but also can pick a unit of kings to rr hit and wound rolls of 1!!

those would be my recommendations to OPTIMIZE your list. Please don’t take my comments as gospel. I’m not anyone special 😬. Your list is fine as is if that’s how you want it!!! 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@ReAnimate Studios

lord of blights should have the rustfang to stack with the -1 rend on blightkings given by the battalion. Lord of blights doesn’t have any ability that would proc off the ghryrstrikes +1 hit/wound. Save that for lord of plagues 🤤

Also..either ditch the harbinger for a chaos warshrine OR drop the plaguebearers for 40 marauders which would save you 120 points. The plaguebearers have a natural 5++ and can’t be affected by the harbinger. The marauders can and you get 10 extra bodies. Also they are an attractive candidate for blades..as they have an very easy +1 to hit on whir warscroll. And their icon is natural rr 1s to hit...further procing blades. 

If you drop the harbinger for he warshrine. It’s only a 6+ save..but longer range, and you can pick a unit of kings to rr all wound rolls!! I also like to make ge warshrine NOTA DEVOTED to Nurgle because you still keep the 6++ but also can pick a unit of kings to rr hit and wound rolls of 1!!

those would be my recommendations to OPTIMIZE your list. Please don’t take my comments as gospel. I’m not anyone special 😬. Your list is fine as is if that’s how you want it!!! 

I really dislike the the current chaos marauders so for me those are out of the question (untill they are rereleased)

But I will definately have a think about the lists. 

Would you mind if I get back to you with further suggestions?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I really dislike the the current chaos marauders so for me those are out of the question (untill they are rereleased)

But I will definately have a think about the lists. 

Would you mind if I get back to you with further suggestions?

If there is an opportunity to talk about warhammer I take it. Fire away!

I used the poxwalkers from warhammer 40k death guard line for Nurgle marauders! I cut off a couple chem tanks, added some shields  and that’s about all the modding that’s necessary! Or kitbash the marauders box with a plaguebearers box!

45 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Do you think the glottkin is worth taking with a blight cyst and plague bearer support? I'm just toying with ideas for a competetive list at the minute.

I don’t think he is the most optimal choice for blight cyst. But I include him in every list I make because of the intense and outlandish conversions I have done to my own glottkin. 😆 

22 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If there is an opportunity to talk about warhammer I take it. Fire away!

I used the poxwalkers from warhammer 40k death guard line for Nurgle marauders! I cut off a couple chem tanks, added some shields  and that’s about all the modding that’s necessary! Or kitbash the marauders box with a plaguebearers box!

I don’t think he is the most optimal choice for blight cyst. But I include him in every list I make because of the intense and outlandish conversions I have done to my own glottkin. 😆 

I love your take on the Glottkin. Reminds me of a charachter from fallout 2 🤣

• Thanks 1

@sal4m4nd3r

So I would love to to run the blight cyst but I keep end up with this list, because of my model pool. I think I could drop a unit of kings and take some plague drones. But this is what it looks like so far.

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
Lord of Blights (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 141

I've come up with a more optimal list but using the plague cyst. It's a battalion I find myself trying to stay within the 7" bubble unnecessarily but that's something I can work on I guess :)

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
Lord of Plagues (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Battalions
Plague Cyst (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 148

Any comments on eithernof both ideas would be great. But I am think I may have to night the bullet and convert up some maraurders 🤔What weapons do you find are best to run them?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I don’t think he is the most optimal choice for blight cyst. But I include him in every list I make because of the intense and outlandish conversions I

Just wondering.... what do you consider as the optimal choice for blight cyst? Seems that the Glott is probably the best way to go. Just wondering.

• Like 1

Let me re-iterate, that I think both lists are fine. I'm talking strictly optimizing. For the first list, I think you could run Festus as a normal sorcerer and use that extra 20 points to fit gutrot spume in.  And being able to make plaguebearers -4 to shooting and -2 to hit in combat is insane. Truly an immovable brick. For the lolz, make then fleshy abundance and you have 60 wounds, -4/-2, with a 5++ save. 

I think plague cyst needs a re-work. It's bonus are... uninspired. First off, the RR all hits SOUNDS nice until you realize its JUST allowing you to RR 2s... because the LoP already lets you RR 1s. Second, the "horribly contagious" rule is just virulent discharge without the healing capability. Sure now you get 2 dice.. but its not really all that usefull for a 200 point battalion.  It does however allow you to go with Blessed sons, which makes the army a one drop, and gives you mystic shield across the army, and a CP, and an artefact for 100 points! The cp is worth 50 points. So for 50 points more you get an artefact, one drop and mystic shield army wide. Thats really good. although now you have 300 points in batalions.. so its a trade off. If you went this route, I would have a squad A be LoP and ten Kings, squad B as Gutrot and 10 kings, squad C as glottkin and the plaguebois, Festus should be directly behind glotty, getting ready to toss him a tasty healing potion. Rememebr its only 1" away in the hero phase!

4 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Just wondering.... what do you consider as the optimal choice for blight cyst? Seems that the Glott is probably the best way to go. Just wondering.

Glott himself isnt optimal. He is about 10-20% overcosted in a world where a GUO is 340 who is worlds better at casting, with only a slightly less good command ability, only 2 less wounds, a natural 5++ that's kicks back mortals. GUO also has the same impact hits, and similar combat prowess..with a slight edge to glottkin. But GUO can be kitted out with a MASSIVE 3" movement buff. I think glottkin would be perfect as a 360-380 model. So I think the GUO is a better fit for blight cyst, simply because he does similar things, is more survivable and is a lot cheaper. The lower points costs is the tipping point because blight cyst is so expensive. It's essentially a 360 point battalion because the LoB is a tax. I also REALLY  like the Poxbringer with favoured poxes in a blight cyst to stack -save rolls. AND/OR a rotbringer sorcerer with gift of contagion (I call it the baby favoured poxes). for 40 points give him a balewind and plague squall or muttergrub and he is a dope caster. 

9 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Glott himself isnt optimal. He is about 10-20% overcosted in a world where a GUO is 340 who is worlds better at casting, with only a slightly less good command ability, only 2 less wounds, a natural 5++ that's kicks back mortals. GUO also has the same impact hits, and similar combat prowess..with a slight edge to glottkin. But GUO can be kitted out with a MASSIVE 3" movement buff. I think glottkin would be perfect as a 360-380 model. So I think the GUO is a better fit for blight cyst, simply because he does similar things, is more survivable and is a lot cheaper. The lower points costs is the tipping point because blight cyst is so expensive. It's essentially a 360 point battalion because the LoB is a tax. I also REALLY  like the Poxbringer with favoured poxes in a blight cyst to stack -save rolls. AND/OR a rotbringer sorcerer with gift of contagion (I call it the baby favoured poxes). for 40 points give him a balewind and plague squall or muttergrub and he is a dope caster. 

I fully agree. Glott is costly, but IMO his spell and CA work so well with mortals that it's hard to not find a way to include him. That being said, I'm afraid that we'll see an increase in points for the GUO🙄, and perhaps a small decrease for the Glott 😊when the new GHB hits the shelves.

1 minute ago, Tasman said:

I fully agree. Glott is costly, but IMO his spell and CA work so well with mortals that it's hard to not find a way to include him. That being said, I'm afraid that we'll see an increase in points for the GUO🙄, and perhaps a small decrease for the Glott 😊when the new GHB hits the shelves.

When is the new GHB due for release?

Something I noticed when building a Thricefold Befoulement list. Tome of a Thousand Poxes adds +1 to cast for Lore of Nurgle Spells. The Lores of Nurgle (different spelling but intent seems clease) are defined in the battletome as being pages 66-67. This would exclude the spells on Nurgle unit warscrolls, most notably Plague Wind. From the interwebs though it seems most people apply the +1 to cast to Plague Wind. Is there something I'm missing?

3 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Something I noticed when building a Thricefold Befoulement list. Tome of a Thousand Poxes adds +1 to cast for Lore of Nurgle Spells. The Lores of Nurgle (different spelling but intent seems clease) are defined in the battletome as being pages 66-67. This would exclude the spells on Nurgle unit warscrolls, most notably Plague Wind. From the interwebs though it seems most people apply the +1 to cast to Plague Wind. Is there something I'm missing?

This is absolutely the case. This includes foul regenesis, mystic shield and arcane bolt as well. 

So i see some life in this Maggotkin thread again! Nice! Couple of posts back I posted my idea of a fun army, which I will use in an upcoming tournament. At forehand this is NOT a commonly accepted OPTIMIZED army, I just think it is an army with potential if things work out well. I am nearly finished painting all the stuff. My idea was to bring an elite blightking heavy army. Since Glott is bests used for higher model count armies (and considering my consistently bad dice rolls his spells rarely go off for me), I wanted another hero. SO here goes...against common sense I painted Orgoth Daemonspew! Why? Because I think his command ability is great re-rolling wound rolls is good (for me re-rolls are good) and he has a nice save (3+). I also want re-rol to hit so I took lord of plagues, since i need even more re-rolls i took the Plague cyst battallion (xtra command point + extra artifact). To completely fill my warscroll battalion, to get less drops, i added Harbinger which also has a nice 5+ ward save thingy. Because i want my Blightkings to hit a lott (re-roll all) and to wound (re-roll 1) I also want my opponent de-buffed a little with his save so i added rustfang (-1 save) and festus (-1 save spell). To quickly gather contagion points and for backstabbing i have Gutrot...

I feel i can have fun with this list (I totally suck with thricefold...been there don that,  not my cup of tea, even a GUO with +2 cast doesnt get stuff going with my snake eye drops....)

So my lists is as follows:

(Plaguecyst)

Orgoth

Lord of plagues (rustfang)

Harbinger (witherstave)

Festus (blades of putrefaction)

Gutrot

10 PBK

5 PBK

5 PBK

5PBK