AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

40 Marauders Axes and Shields. 40 attacks, hitting on 4s (20 hits), rerolling 1s for Damned Icon (1/3 of misses are 1s, 6.66 dice rerolled, 3.33 more successes), 23.33 hits, wounding on 4s=11.667 wounds

40 Marauders Flails and Shields. 40 attacks hitting on 5s (13.33 hits), rerolling 1s (3.33 more successes), 16.66 hits, wounding on 3s=11.11 wounds

Axes, unbuffed, deal an extra 1/2 wound.

IF we are debuffed -1 to hit.

Axes: hitting on 5s (13.33), rerolling 1s (2.22 additional successes), 15.55 hits, wounding on 4s=7.775 wounds

Flails: hitting on 6s :( (6.66), reroll 1s (1.11 more), 7.77 hits, wounding on 3s=5.18 wounds

The difference is exaggerated when debuffed.

With Barbarian Hordes activated on a roll of 4 (only +1 to hit)

Axes: hitting on 3s (26.66), reroll 1s (4.44 more), 31.11 hits, wounding on 4s=15.55 wounds

Flails: hitting on 4s (20 hits), reroll 1s (3.33 more), 23.33 hits, wounding on 3s=15.55 wounds

Here we are evened out. If we also  get +1 to wound from the Barbarian Hordes ability, then these numbers are increased to 20.74 and 19.44 respectively.

So yeah, Axes are a little bit more hitty. And the difference may be negligible.

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

hey guys.  The 2017 GHB was very clear that you could not add models to a unit past the original size of that unit.  The 2018GHB has very short rules for matched play, and this is not there. It's not in the core rules either. 

Some rules, like Nagash's deathly invocation, return slain models to a unit.  The Plaguebearer icon bearer however, just "adds" models to the unit.  So, in AoS 2.0, can I exceed the starting model count for a unit?  Does it matter for a unit at 10 vs a max unit of 30? 

If not, if you can point me to the rule, errata, or Q/A please 

I'm pretty sure that your banner for Plagueboys will allow you do exceed the starting number..... an example of how things are worded can be found in Tzeentch. A unit of pink horrors can generate d6 models to the unit that rolled a 1 for battle shock, but a shamans fold reality spell will only revive slain models. There's the subtle difference. If they intended that the battle shock roll only allows a unit to be restored to its starting size, they would have said so. The war scroll for PBs simply states that in the event of a 1 being rolled, no models flee and d6 minis are ADDED to the unit.

1 hour ago, Domowoj said:

40 Marauders Axes and Shields. 40 attacks, hitting on 4s (20 hits), rerolling 1s for Damned Icon (1/3 of misses are 1s, 6.66 dice rerolled, 3.33 more successes), 23.33 hits, wounding on 4s=11.667 wounds

40 Marauders Flails and Shields. 40 attacks hitting on 5s (13.33 hits), rerolling 1s (3.33 more successes), 16.66 hits, wounding on 3s=11.11 wounds

Axes, unbuffed, deal an extra 1/2 wound.

IF we are debuffed -1 to hit.

Axes: hitting on 5s (13.33), rerolling 1s (2.22 additional successes), 15.55 hits, wounding on 4s=7.775 wounds

Flails: hitting on 6s :( (6.66), reroll 1s (1.11 more), 7.77 hits, wounding on 3s=5.18 wounds

The difference is exaggerated when debuffed.

With Barbarian Hordes activated on a roll of 4 (only +1 to hit)

Axes: hitting on 3s (26.66), reroll 1s (4.44 more), 31.11 hits, wounding on 4s=15.55 wounds

Flails: hitting on 4s (20 hits), reroll 1s (3.33 more), 23.33 hits, wounding on 3s=15.55 wounds

Here we are evened out. If we also  get +1 to wound from the Barbarian Hordes ability, then these numbers are increased to 20.74 and 19.44 respectively.

So yeah, Axes are a little bit more hitty. And the difference may be negligible.

I prefer axes. Wish they'd be throw-able. ?

Hey guys a quick question. If i run a plague cyst, or just the lord of plagues, when i re-roll my failed hit rolls, or just the ones, do the sixes then again count as D6?

And if i had used blades of putrefaction on a unit, does for the re- roll the sixes count as mortal wounds again?

Thx in advance.

6 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

Hey guys a quick question. If i run a plague cyst, or just the lord of plagues, when i re-roll my failed hit rolls, or just the ones, do the sixes then again count as D6?

And if i had used blades of putrefaction on a unit, does for the re- roll the sixes count as mortal wounds again?

Thx in advance.

If you're rerolling failed hits any 6s rolled would proc abilities that land on a 6. When you say "again" I'm a bit confused though as you're rerolling failed hits and 6s wouldn't be fails.

You roll - you get some misses and some hits and some 6s. You reroll those misses - you get some misses and some hits and some 6s.

4 minutes ago, Turragor said:

If you're rerolling failed hits any 6s rolled would proc abilities that land on a 6. When you say "again" I'm a bit confused though as you're rerolling failed hits and 6s wouldn't be fails.

You roll - you get some misses and some hits and some 6s. You reroll those misses - you get some misses and some hits and some 6s.

Sry, yeah i meant for the putrid blightkings, I see i forgot to mention that. For the PBK on the to hit rolls each 6 counts as D6, instead of 1. So you re-roll these to obtain the new number for the wound roll.

When the Lord of plagues is aroun, with his wanton slaughter, you can re-roll your 1's. So if you re-roll these ones do then at that re-roll the 6s you roll count for D6 instead of 1.

And the other question was if this then also would apply for the blades of putrefaction. Re-roll 1's they become a 6 is that then a mortal wound?

I hope i made myself clearer now....

1.  Roll dice
  2.  Check for reroll conditions
  3.  Reroll dice eligible to be rerolled
  4.  Apply modifiers
  5.  Check to see if abilities activate after modifiers have been applied
  •     This is where you would check to see if your 6's cause a mortal wound
  •     This is where you would check to see if your 6's generate 1d6 wound rolls instead of 1
  • These two are not related and do not generate 1d6 mortal wounds

rinse repeat until no further rolls are required for the attack (hit, wound, save, extra save....)

1 minute ago, LordRogalDorn said:
  1.  Roll dice
  2.  Check for reroll conditions
  3.  Reroll dice eligible to be rerolled
  4.  Apply modifiers
  5.  Check to see if abilities activate after modifiers have been applied
  •     This is where you would check to see if your 6's cause a mortal wound
  •     This is where you would check to see if your 6's generate 1d6 wound rolls instead of 1
  • These two are not related and do not generate 1d6 mortal wounds

rinse repeat until no further rolls are required for the attack (hit, wound, save, extra save....)

Thx! This answers my question. If im correct the 3rd bullet (your last statement) was  explicitely stated in Designers commentary June 2018.

Well now i know this i’m gonna try out a plague cyst with glottkin. On a unit of 10 PBK with an extra attack, and re-roll faild rolls and blades of putrefaction cast on that unit, i might hit and wound somehing for sure!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Ok I'll have a look at those instead :)

Only thing is I will need to find 40 hand weapons (axes)  and shields?

I'm building 40x Marauders and had a hard time coming up with a cool idea to make them look Nurgle-ish.

I picked up a box of 20x Marauders and 20x Zombies and am now kitbashing them with other bits from my bits box.
Some of the models look a little disproportioned but I actually like it as they all look like they're suffering from numerous afflictions.

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.23.00 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.23.04 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.22.55 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.23.13 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.22.51 pm.png

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Imperi-um said:

I'm building 40x Marauders and had a hard time coming up with a cool idea to make them look Nurgle-ish.

I picked up a box of 20x Marauders and 20x Zombies and am now kitbashing them with other bits from my bits box.
Some of the models look a little disproportioned but I actually like it as they all look like they're suffering from numerous afflictions.

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.23.00 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.23.04 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.22.55 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.23.13 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.22.51 pm.png

I really like these :D

I might look at doing something simular!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

It is a super good shout. I wonder if the new Darkoath book (if it happens) will bring new Marauders. Still not the best models tbh. 

It's just a feeling but I can see the Darkoath book replacing the Barbarian/Marauder portion of Slaves to Darkness (and maaaaaaaaaybe the Chosen). In contrast to the Warriors and overall armoured undivided units, they have aged just terribly. A merge with StD might not that far fetched either...

Staple a mammoth unto that as a new centerpiece model besides the shrine and we are ready to go.

I base that somewhat on the fact that the Darkoath queen has Slaves to Darkness synergy and that GW doesn't seem to retire units that can still work aesthetically in AoS. Plus, with Chaos they tend to just add/replace units to more or less existing factions.

The terms Darkoath and Slaves to Darkness are very similar; they both imply a bond of servitude to a divine entity of darkness (chaos). I am hoping it will be a combined release (StD gets rolled into Darkoath), basically Warriors of Chaos + Marauders + flavor, and all that stuff, in a manner similar to what we are seeing in this BoC release. 

It seems that GW pointlessly fractured the armies of Warhammer Fantasy (rendering much of it unplayable), and is now slowly trying to put them back together, while avoiding talking about their mistake. :D

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Domowoj said:

The terms Darkoath and Slaves to Darkness are very similar; they both imply a bond of servitude to a divine entity of darkness (chaos). I am hoping it will be a combined release (StD gets rolled into Darkoath), basically Warriors of Chaos + Marauders + flavor, and all that stuff, in a manner similar to what we are seeing in this BoC release. 

It seems that GW pointlessly fractured the armies of Warhammer Fantasy (rendering much of it unplayable), and is now slowly trying to put them back together, while avoiding talking about their mistake. :D

I think faction splintering is "fine" as long as the army can stand on its own and given some more units and it makes thematic sense.

Daughters of Khaine is a good example of doing it right. Army feels pretty substantial, plenty of good options. Can go full snake, no snake, lots of harpies, etc. I mean I would have also liked it if Assassins were also in....

Beastclaw Raiders, not so much. Hampered by low model count, must still abide by BEHEMOTH limits, no wizards, reliance on a number of finecast kits from 6th edition, can't take foot ogors.

Though there are some that are case by case, in my opinion. On one hand, friggin Skaven need to get together (heck they already have 2 out of 5 allegiances that are "proper", only 3 more to go and they have a combined Battletome!). On the other, I think Bonesplitterz is alright on its own, but they could use an update. Like a Savage Warboss on Wyvern.

Plus it seems that Moonclan will be on its own, unless they also eat Gitmobs.

The only thing I'm very curious about DO though is whether or not marks are going to be a thing. On one hand marauders are a big part of many chaos god lists (more specifically nurgle since acolytes and bloodreavers exist).

On the other hand, both Darkoath minis we have are Markless.

I suppose maybe BOC is a testbed on having an army that can be either Undivided OR Marked without feeling gimped, aka current slaves to darkness.

Hi!

First my apologies for my english if i made some mistake (i speak french ˆˆ)

I would have your advices about my 2K army list of Nurgle rotbringers.

Leader:

The Glotkin
Lord of blight
Sorcerer
Lord of Affliction

Units:

2x10 Putrids
1x5 putrids

Endless spells:

Chronomantic cogs
Soulsnare Shackles

Blightcyst

2000 pt

What do you think? Can i be ok with only 3 units?
I 'll have  to use some plaguebearers with the summmoning points to protect my territory and just walk through my "ennemy" with all the putrid buffed by the glotkin, the lords, spell and blightcyst.

Thanks for your replies and your advies!

Henlkhyn

wanted to share a list I'm going to play this weekend.  Finally finished painting Archaon and my plastic GUO. I am set on using those models + glottkin, just for fun.   Harbinger seemed like the next best thing to go in there.  There's not much room after that, so I put 2 units of blightkings and all I had room for was 5 chaos warriors...

Spells/Artifacts seemed pretty straight forward but let me know if you disagree.  Blades of Putrification on Archaon with +2 attacks  is an average of 4.5 MW, for anyone wondering....(27 average attacks, almost as good as a unit of 10 BK without deaths heads... if you can even get all 10 BK into combat...)

I figure i will summon groups of 5 plaguebearers at every chance to chase objectives or slow down / harass enemy units, while I just try to table my opponent basically.    The biggest risk is having 7 drops and getting shot at before I can use HoDs command ability. 

Allegiance: Nurgle
LEADERS
Archaon (660)
- General
- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact : The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes
Harbinger of Decay (160)

UNITS
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
-Hand Weapon & Shield

TOTAL: 1990/2000

2 hours ago, Henlkhyn said:

Hi!

First my apologies for my english if i made some mistake (i speak french ˆˆ)

I would have your advices about my 2K army list of Nurgle rotbringers.

Leader:

The Glotkin
Lord of blight
Sorcerer
Lord of Affliction

Units:

2x10 Putrids
1x5 putrids

Endless spells:

Chronomantic cogs
Soulsnare Shackles

Blightcyst

2000 pt

What do you think? Can i be ok with only 3 units?
I 'll have  to use some plaguebearers with the summmoning points to protect my territory and just walk through my "ennemy" with all the putrid buffed by the glotkin, the lords, spell and blightcyst.

Thanks for your replies and your advies!

Henlkhyn

What is the role for the lord of afflictions? He is a great model, and can hold his own in combat. But I do think you would get more use with either some more infantry (marauders, warriors of plaguebearers) or even horticulous for a second "free" tree and REALLY ramp up the summoning points. Also He is a TANK and offers great target saturation when the blightkings charge in. Alternatively, by dropping the shakles, and the LoA you could add in a harbinger of decay and some infantry to really boost your survivability. 

I like the LoA.. but I'm not sure he will have as big of an impact on this list as other choices. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

What is the role for the lord of afflictions

Thanks for your respon!

As you said the role for the lord of afflictions is target saturation when the blightkings charge in and firstly for the buff he offers to the rotgringer by reroll hit 1. 
My last list i had the harbringer of decay but i was always out of command pt for his ability. I always used  my command ability point with my glotkin for the +1 attack on all of my putrids units. So.... kinda lost and try to replace him (harbringer of decay) by the lord of afflictions.

glottkin +1 attacks to putrid blightkings is not that strong.  it increases their damage by 33%.  So does rerolling hits of 1 I think.  This ability is much better on Marauders and Plaguebearers. Really any other unit including heroes. BK benefit the least from it. 

HoD's ability, assuming you have all mortals, reduces all damage by 33% (within range)

Honestly i find that the glottkin is usually the target, and without HoD he is very squishy. 

You also start with extra command point from the blight cyst, and some games you may not use a command point first round , so it's possible to use both command abilities same turn for 1-2 turns. 

LoP has same ability as LoA but only for blightkings and is a lot cheaper. 

10 Blightkings in 1 unit is usually not 100% effective. Hard to get 10 x 40mm bases in combat. I could stomach 1 unit of 10 easier than 2. 

Not suggesting what to do, just things to think about

Mornin' friends,

Here's a hypothetical question for you guys that actually know what's going on/how to play with Maggotkin. How would you build an army around flies? Specifically a Lord of Afflictions, Pusgoyles and Plague Drones. 

I'm on the hunt for a new army and love the look of the Nurgle fly models so would be keen to see what an army with them as a core looks like. For me this is mainly a modelling project but at the same time I do enjoy playing the game so would want the list to hold up against the middle-of-the-road tier lists that are floating around these days. 

1) Is the Affliction Cyst worth a look? Taking this Battalion and making the LoA my General covers all of my Battleline requirements, gives me a Command Point and gives me the really neat Deep Striking mechanic. On paper, this looks pretty good. Buuuuuuuuuuut is 1100 points.

2) If I want to go balls-to-the-wall with this theme, a core of an army I've knocked up is....
- Lord of Afflictions (General)
- 3 units of 2 Pusgoyle Blight Lords (Battleline)
- 1 unit of 6 Plague Drones
- Affliction Cyst
That's 1500 points flat. What would you spend the last 500 points on? From the outset I'm lacking a) models on the table, and b) heroes. Would a unit of 30 Plaguebearers and a Herald be enough to flesh out a 2k list that wouldn't be a joke to play with/against? Would 20 Plaguebearers and 2 Heralds be preferable?

Here's an expanded hypothetical list taking the above to 2k....
- Lord of Afflictions (General)
- Spoilpox Scrivener
- Daemon Prince of Nurgle
- 3 units of 2 Pusgoyle Blight Lords (Battleline)
- 1 unit of 6 Plague Drones
- 20 Plaguebearers
- Affliction Cyst

Overall thoughts?

Cheers y'all!

Edited by BradReligion

@BradReligion

I love the concept and character of a fly-based list. I don't think the Affliction Cyst is worth it. My reasoning here is that the two abilities seem at odds with each other (the deep strike occurs at the end of the movement phase and therefore bypasses the benefit from the added movement). So you're essentially forced to make a choice between the two abilities for each of your units case-by-case. The pusgoyle deepstrike is not as good as a blightking deepstrike (because of the blightking musician).

So, I would perhaps try something like this:

LoA - general, witherstave, grandfather's blessing         OR hideous visage and carrion dirge

GUO - bell and blade, spell of your choice

Sorcerer - blades of putrefaction

Lord of Blights

30x Plaguebearers

2x Pusgoyles

2x Pusgoyles

6x Plague Drones

You have three fast-moving fly-guy units and a big unit of plaguebearers to hold objectives. The LoA can keep pace with the drones and pusgoyles, providing locus activation and enemy debuff with witherstave. The GUO makes your flies super zippy so you can get where you need to be, and can also semi-reliably manipulate the cycle of corruption. The sorcerer will attempt to ramp-up your plague drones or whoever with Blades. The LoB's defensive CA will add a nice defensive boost to any of your fly units, or double-down on your plaguebearers, as needed. The GUO and LoA's command abilities are situational, in contrast to the command ability of a character such as the Glottkin or Harbinger (where you might want it on every turn). So you can choose each turn between three different situational CAs. This might be too many, and you may want to scrap the sorcerer and LoB for BLOAB ROTSPAWNED to keep with the fly-theme. :)

Edited by Domowoj
  • Like 3

@Domowoj, thanks for the run down! I totally see where you're coming from with your criticisms of the LoA's Command Ability being at odds with the bonus of the Battalion. But being honest the LoA is there for 2 reasons: filling out the battalion's requirements to allow me to deep strike, and then making Pusgoyles Battleline. His unique Command Ability didn't factor into my plans at all beyond it being a nice tool to have there if I needed it down the track (sneaking on objectives late in game). 

Its really the deep striking and Battleline status of Pusgoyles that, for me, made the army viable gamewise rather than just a neat modelling project. Being able to deposit 1 or more units T1 right in the opponent's face is a fun tactical approach to the game, and if I end up in their territory its a bonus 3 Contagion Points, putting me at at least 7 halfway through Turn 1. The more and more I generate, the faster I can summon a unit of 20 Plaguebearers which in turn covers the glaring weakness of this army; so few boots on the ground.

Of course the LoA can always use the generic Command Ability to give rerolls to charges instead of the movement boost right?

Here's a backup list that doubles down on the theme...

Lord of Afflictions (General, Witherstave, Grandfather's Blessing)
Lord of Blights
Sorcerer of Nurgle (Blades of Putrefaction)
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
6 x Blight Drones
Affliction Cyst

The battleplan is to try and farm as many Contagion Points early on. By my count I have 4+D3 first turn, followed by 7+D3 Turn 2 if I can keep enemies out of my territory and the one or two units of flies alive in theirs. If I then keep the unit of 4 Pusgoyles on the board with the unit of 6 Drones sandwiching the LoA, with the Gnarlmaw nearby, that's still a whole bunch of movement bonuses there that can feasibly farm for that Turn 1 charge - even moreso if I take the bottom of T1 and at worse play for the double-turn (which of course comes with its own problems). 

Another option is to drop the Battalion completely, start with all the flies on my side of the board, and instead have a unit of 20 Plaguebearers in the army. 

Decisions, decisions.... Regardless though, it'd look very pretty (or heinous) on the board!

3 hours ago, BradReligion said:

@Domowoj, thanks for the run down! I totally see where you're coming from with your criticisms of the LoA's Command Ability being at odds with the bonus of the Battalion. But being honest the LoA is there for 2 reasons: filling out the battalion's requirements to allow me to deep strike, and then making Pusgoyles Battleline. His unique Command Ability didn't factor into my plans at all beyond it being a nice tool to have there if I needed it down the track (sneaking on objectives late in game). 

Its really the deep striking and Battleline status of Pusgoyles that, for me, made the army viable gamewise rather than just a neat modelling project. Being able to deposit 1 or more units T1 right in the opponent's face is a fun tactical approach to the game, and if I end up in their territory its a bonus 3 Contagion Points, putting me at at least 7 halfway through Turn 1. The more and more I generate, the faster I can summon a unit of 20 Plaguebearers which in turn covers the glaring weakness of this army; so few boots on the ground.

Of course the LoA can always use the generic Command Ability to give rerolls to charges instead of the movement boost right?

Lord of Blights
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
6 x Blight Drones
Affliction Cyst

The battleplan is to try and farm as many Contagion Points early on. By my count I have 4+D3 first turn, followed by 7+D3 Turn 2 if I can keep enemies out of my territory and the one or two units of flies alive in theirs. If I then keep the unit of 4 Pusgoyles on the board with the unit of 6 Drones sandwiching the LoA, with the Gnarlmaw nearby, that's still a whole bunch of movement bonuses there that can feasibly farm for that Turn 1 charge - even moreso if I take the bottom of T1 and at worse play for the double-turn (which of course comes with its own problems). 

Another option is to drop the Battalion completely, start with all the flies on my side of the board, and instead have a unit of 20 Plaguebearers in the army. 

Decisions, decisions.... Regardless though, it'd look very pretty (or heinous) on the board!

I love the idea of this and have been thinking about an Affliction Cyst list for a while now.

You talk about trying to generate Contagion points to get the bodies on the board.  Have you considered fitting Horticulous into your list?  That would give you and extra tree turn one asa well as another daemon hero for your drone locus and a tanky hero!

I also think a big unit of either plague monks or Marauders is a good option to make up the points as whilst not as survivable as the plaguebearers they can be cheaper for bodies (and monks are deadly)

Really interested in how this goes for you, please keep us updated!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BradReligion said:

Lord of Blights
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords
6 x Blight Drones
Affliction Cyst

Well, if you're going to run PBs, then,  IMO, they should never be used in units of less than 30. Unless summoned for their annoying speed-bumpery. I also think that you are terribly short in the wizard slots..... you will never get Blades off without at least trying to get your opponent to unbind a couple of other spells, you know?

• Like 1