AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 6/22/2018 at 8:12 PM, sorokyl said:

I'm taking a block of 20 Sunday. I have a lord of blights to give them a ranged attack, a lord of afflictions to give them reroll 1s, and a couple of wizards for blades of putrification.  I'll let you know how it goes=P

My full list is:
Glottkin (general), LoB, LoA(muttergrub), Festus.  
20 Blightkings, 30 Plaguebearers, 20 Marauders, 10 Marauders (RIP)

Well. I'm never taking a block of 20 blightkings again.   I was relying too much on blades of putrification and throwing deaths heads at my enemy to do mortal wounds.  Unfortunately i played against nagash, and rolled poorly for spells anyway.    I think 10 is the max unit size for blightkings, and the main reason to even take a block that size is for the lord of blights / blades of putrification

43 minutes ago, Riavan said:

I was thinking of magnetizing mine too. I have not magnetized before but like I can understand how it's easily done on like... Knight arms. The guo seems like a different beast though, do you make holes and glue tiny ones to the plastic, or do you like glue a big one to the side inside the arm? Pics please if possible! Thanks.

Some spots like the neck are super easy to magnetize since you can just drill a hole and pop the magnet in. Other spots like the hollow weapon arms were filled with a blob of greenstuff to hold the magnet.

I'll try and remember to get pics when I get home tonight

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Well. I'm never taking a block of 20 blightkings again.   I was relying too much on blades of putrification and throwing deaths heads at my enemy to do mortal wounds.  Unfortunately i played against nagash, and rolled poorly for spells anyway.    I think 10 is the max unit size for blightkings, and the main reason to even take a block that size is for the lord of blights / blades of putrification

Two units of 10 would have been better you think?

37 minutes ago, Dew said:

Some spots like the neck are super easy to magnetize since you can just drill a hole and pop the magnet in. Other spots like the hollow weapon arms were filled with a blob of greenstuff to hold the magnet.

I'll try and remember to get pics when I get home tonight

I see. That makes sense. I didn't think of doing the head, but I guess you only really need to do that on one for roti. 

7 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

My issue with bloab is that his daemon flies ability triggers in the hero phase. So its before you move, run and charge. MOST of the time you would have had to take a charge and then be able to use the ability. If this ability was a "start of the combat phase" or "end of the charge phase" or something he would be worth his 260 points for sure. Partly due to his unique spell being probably one of the coolest and potentially damaging spells in the game besides curse of years. 

IMO, it's that^^ AND the fact that 260 points is about 80 points too much for a single spell caster. Too bad, too. It's an awesome model gathering dust on my shelf along with the other two maggoth lords.....

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dew said:

Two units of 10 would have been better you think?

10+5+5 if you want to take 20.  This is assuming you have 30 plaugebearers, if the 10 blightkings are your only "big" battleline units, maybe 2x10 would work. 

I think in 2.0 I will try LoA general so that I can use Blightlords as battleline to give myself more flexibility.  It doesn't seem to matter who you make your general from the command ability perspective now...

58 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

10+5+5 if you want to take 20.  This is assuming you have 30 plaugebearers, if the 10 blightkings are your only "big" battleline units, maybe 2x10 would work. 

I think in 2.0 I will try LoA general so that I can use Blightlords as battleline to give myself more flexibility.  It doesn't seem to matter who you make your general from the command ability perspective now...

I was wondering the same thing now. Other than the occasional "if this model is your general" special rule, the generals don't seem to matter. Other than having a target on their back?

But why do they even have a target on their back? The general gets no benefits really, other than a command trait? and if they die you pick a new general with a new command trait.

I was thinking, If they don't change Archaon's wording to force him to be the general, you could see Archaon being led by a Harbinger of decay or something just so that you get an extra command trait... 

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

But why do they even have a target on their back? The general gets no benefits really, other than a command trait? and if they die you pick a new general with a new command trait.

I was thinking, If they don't change Archaon's wording to force him to be the general, you could see Archaon being led by a Harbinger of decay or something just so that you get an extra command trait... 

Can’t wait. Now I can use glotkin AND get a command trait. If not Harby.. any random hero I have.

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

The whole ‘my general died so I get to nominate a new one’ thing is only allowed in open play by the way. There’s no such rule for matched play.

Is there any reason not to assemble the command trio for the Blightkings?  That way you can field 2x 5 or 1x 10 and have full command with both configurations? I just assembled my second five without the standard and bell and am wondering if I made a mistake. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Lao said:

Is there any reason not to assemble the command trio for the Blightkings?  That way you can field 2x 5 or 1x 10 and have full command with both configurations? I just assembled my second five without the standard and bell and am wondering if I made a mistake. 

It's actually even encouraged to make as many banner bearers and musicians allowed (or generally 1 command trio per box set number). Some units have two different banners and there are many games that allow the usage of both unless 2.0 is going to get rid of that. The only restriction is the champions who are 1 per unit.

• Thanks 1

Hi! I was reading the old maggotkin thread to get some insight and I found there a powerful combination: Marauder Horsemen + BoP! That unit throws an insane number of attacks (5 / own turn, counting shoots) , rerolling 1s, move 12 inches...

Any comments? Do you know of better recipients for BoP?

Thx

I think BoP is not a spell to be relied on anymore, you can take it and try to cast it , but building your list around this spell is going to give you a hard time IMHO.

First it is cast on a 7, which is about 58% chance of getting it cast (Maggotkin has no ability to get +1 to cast this spell). This means on 5 turns, you will at most be able to cast it 3 times.

Now get into account the ability for your opponent to unbind it,

with some chance, it will go off 2 times per game,with 3 games, I cast it 2 times, and it got unbinded every time.

I won those games, but it is not thanks to BoP

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, TheUnknownGuy said:

I think BoP is not a spell to be relied on anymore, you can take it and try to cast it , but building your list around this spell is going to give you a hard time IMHO.

First it is cast on a 7, which is about 58% chance of getting it cast (Maggotkin has no ability to get +1 to cast this spell). This means on 5 turns, you will at most be able to cast it 3 times.

Now get into account the ability for your opponent to unbind it,

with some chance, it will go off 2 times per game,with 3 games, I cast it 2 times, and it got unbinded every time.

I won those games, but it is not thanks to BoP

I would say in tournament play, it's always worth playing, or if you don't know what scenario you're playing, it's always worth taking. There will be circumstances where you're outputting a lot of attacks, thanks to locus abilities, GUO or Glottkin effect and to also give out some mortal wounds is really valuable. Don't rely on it, but it's a useful thing to have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I would say in tournament play, it's always worth playing, or if you don't know what scenario you're playing, it's always worth taking. There will be circumstances where you're outputting a lot of attacks, thanks to locus abilities, GUO or Glottkin effect and to also give out some mortal wounds is really valuable. Don't rely on it, but it's a useful thing to have. 

As well as the fact that it can be just as hard for your opponent to unbind it. A spell that is harder to cast is also harder to unbind.....unless he's playing Tzeentch or has Kroak on the table. Make him use those unbind attempts. Something else will get through......

5 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Don't rely on it, but it's a useful thing to have. 

I agree, I don't say it is not worth taking, I just say not to rely on it too much, since it is too unpredictable to cast.

I personally will take it every time with my glottkin for potential wrecking anything with my plague monk/marauders

17 minutes ago, TheUnknownGuy said:

I agree, I don't say it is not worth taking, I just say not to rely on it too much, since it is too unpredictable to cast.

I personally will take it every time with my glottkin for potential wrecking anything with my plague monk/marauders

In 1.0 i did rely on it quite a lot because of getting +1 to hit from terrain, but we don't have that now, so it can't be the core of our assault plan. Glottkin with BoP and his own spell is such a  great combo.

9 hours ago, Dr. Lao said:

With a bit of greenstuff, there are certainly enough pieces to do so! I think the bell toller has the big bell and also a "bell flail" I used these seperatley on two different models and called them both musicians. Nobody ever questions it. Also the gnarlmaw box comes with a butt load of bells you could use!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

With a bit of greenstuff, there are certainly enough pieces to do so! I think the bell toller has the big bell and also a "bell flail" I used these seperatley on two different models and called them both musicians. Nobody ever questions it. Also the gnarlmaw box comes with a butt load of bells you could use!

In 1 box of blight kings, there is no green stuff required. There's enough to assembled a full command and the instructions to do it.

If, say you had 5 second hand blightkings, with no command, and got a new box of blightkings and wanted 2 command, that would be pretty easy without green stuff also.   Give 1 the bell flail, give 1 the giant bell on stick, and split the other musical bits (torso, antler with bells, etc).     For the standard bearer, if you need extras, I find that the plaguebearer standards work well (you get 2 standards per box of 10, so you probably have extra already)

I think you can have at least 20 blightkings and they all be pretty unique, esp if you're willing to chop arms and stuff

On the subject of Blight Kings:

I've run lots of variations.

Last edition: I ran the Blight Guard and 4 x 5 pack. They were great mini meat shields. Even at three wounds, I rarely lost more than 1-2 units of them. 

This edition: I've run 3x5 packs, two 10 packs with an auxiliary 5 pack. Most recently; a 14 man unit with a 5 man

Some things that I've learned with their sizes/ numbers:

Go multiple. Blight Kings can be scary, but with de-buffs/hexes they quickly go down in effectiveness.  Making your enemy choose which one of your many packs means that somewhere, on the battlefield, they're winning. 

Go big, but only one. Running two 10 packs was daunting, but the footprints of both units quickly clogged up the game. Unless you're running many buffs on them, keep one large unit and two 'less intimidating' sized packs roaming.  I found that the large unit gets slammed hard, but has the wounds to take it. Then the other smaller packs can run rampant.

Use their speed: Blight Kings are oddly fast. I love those fat turds making long charges with their +1. The 'trees' have made them a scary medium cav. unit on smaller bases.

Gutrot & the gang. : having a pack of 5 blight kings pop up on the board is amazing. They need to be 9" away, but that's a 8" charge for them with their +1" charge. Even the threat of them coming, can occupy a disproportionate amount of enemies around objectives. 

• Thanks 1

another crazy list, this time  a nurgling adventure!

1 morbidex

1 slopitty

1 sorcerer

1festus

1x3 nurglings

2x10 plagueBearers

960 pts

In a 1k game you will end up earning 165 points of nurglings + 30 contagion points more or less. 

This kits grants an ever growing host of Nurglings , that reroll 1s to hit and charge, +1 to wound! and posibly a good chance of MW by BoP. Not competitive but do you think IT would stand a chance?

thx

Edited by peasant
mistake