AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I love bile trolls! They have a bunch of wounds, healing, and good rend attacks in both shooting and combat phases. I often found them useful before our battletome was released in January. I would run them as sort of a bodyguard unit for Bloab Rotspawned because they could basically guarantee some damage in both shooting and combat (to maximize use of his signature spell). I only ever used one unit of 3, so I can't really speak to a larger unit size. Since the release of the Maggotkin tome, I find both Bloab and the trolls to be often overshadowed by better and more useful choices due to the new allegiance abilities, battalions, etc; essentially the meta shifted. Before, e.g., I would never use the Glottkin, but now I always look for room for him and a big unit of marauders or plague monks. This is because we have new efficiencies available to us (any large unit of 1-wound models is going to be a prime candidate for both Fleshy Abundance and Blades of Putrefaction). So I think Trolls are generally surpassed by alternative unit choices that lead to all-daemon lists, all-mortal lists, and all-daemon+1rotbringerwizard lists. But they still have a roll to fill: They are beefy boys who can lay it down. I think they would benefit from a list that plays off of debuffing enemy bravery, or if you were to babysit them with a Chaos Sorcerer who keeps Daemonic Power on them.

Hi,

I need some advice! I will play my very first game with Nurgle next week, but because I started to refuse to play with unpainted models, I can only field the following:

Rotigus

GUO

10 Plaguebearers

10 Plaguebearers

5 Furies

---

I know that this is far from anything worth, but I have to live with it.  ;)

Now I like to know your opinion on artifact, spells and abilities to choose. What artifact / spells will support that bunch of models? Any words on tactics?

Should I drop the Furies and instead invest in some endless spell? I think that I´ll be able to still paint 1-2 endless spell(s).

Thanks in advance

Edited by Hannibal

I'm almost done with a real themed 1000 points list, as in stuff is built specifically for it.

Gutrot's Reavers with a mix of pirates (his ship crews and allied privateers) and Viking-themed reavers. With flying ships as fire support and transports.

Gutrot

Sorceror

5 Blightkings -> pirate-y guys, I love the "IoB rat ogre turned gun platform" conversion that sparked the whole unit's creation

10 Blightkings -> Vikings

Gorebeast Chariot

Warshrine (I want a Harbinger to use in ALL my different Nurgle theme lists, but I'm trying to hold out until I can get a metal one from ebay) -> finally got a corpse cart and started to turn it into a flying boat with a squid in the middle getting its tentacles cut off to soil the land to seed it for Nurgle's glory.

I'm not trying to have the greatest list, but marauders are in the works, too. And I have more BKs not built for this army that I can throw in for bigger games.

I have two questions on count-as watscrolls for centre-piece models:

1) The army started when I thought about turning the Gloomtide Vortrx wreck into two floating Plagueclaw catapult platforms. Those are easy to include both keyword and pointswise, replacing 5 BKs or the shrine in 1000 pts lists if I want to.

The Chaos Dwarf artillery seems to be better, though, and I can ally them if I remember it correctly. I'm not sure how many catapults and canons I can stick on the wrack (depends on bits sites and if the Ironblaster is indeed in stock at GW even though the email link spits out an error message), but I want one half to have rocket pods in the front and a mortar or catapult on the aft. The Chaos Dwarf rocket warmachine scroll seems a more thematic fit for it.

2) I snagged up a Maw-Krusha on a bits sale, now I'm wondering how to represent it with a warscroll. I was thinking Slaughterbrute bound to my Viking leader (who is a BB ogre I turned into Drago Bludvist from How to train your dragon 2 because the faces look so alike). I could run my Drago as a LoP or Lord of Chaos and the Krusha as a Slaughterbrute.

But the Krusha obviously has wings and Jabberslythe or Chimera rules might fit, too. If I could've gotten a Lord of Change head too I'd have turned it into a Chimera, but no luck.

Help, please?

On 8/29/2018 at 3:06 AM, hughwyeth said:

So i managed to get minor victory (tied on VPs) on total commitment. It sort of went as I wanted- i left 30 PBs and 5 BKs to his 20 brutes on one side and everything else on the other. I did wipe out everything except the 20 brutes. Having said that, it's the second game now the Glottkin hasn't done much. He can't get buffs for spellcasting, so out of 8 attempted spells, 2 went off. Perhaps replacing him with a few heroes and another 5 BKs might have been better.

Hm. That sounds like some serious bad dice. I'd expect a lot of spell denial from magic heavy armies, i.e. Tzeentch, Seraphon, Aelves, etc, but IJ shouldn't have been able to stop all of your spells so.....?

Maybe try dropping three of the drones- six are hard to get in on a single target anyway- and take a sorcerer. Maybe give him Muttergrub? Or if you really want to keep your artifact, take a bale wind for him so as to get the extra spell and +6" range. That would help a bit.

Edited by Tasman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Hm. That sounds like some serious bad dice. I'd expect a lot of spell denial from magic heavy armies, i.e. Tzeentch, Seraphon, Aelves, etc, but IJ shouldn't have been able to stop all of your spells so.....?

Maybe try dropping three of the drones- six are hard to get in on a single target anyway- and take a sorcerer. Maybe give him Muttergrub? Or if you really want to keep your artifact, take a bale wind for him so as to get the extra spell and +6" range. That would help a bit.

Some good points. Yeah I just rolled extremely bad for GK. I've had serious bad luck with him- the previous time I played him I didn't get a single spell off. Against Ironjawz it can be hard- he took 2 weirdboyz and they kept getting +2 to cast/unbind because he had them next to a big unit of ardboyz. 

RE drones- ardboyz (the basic IJ battleline) have 2 wounds. He takes 30 of them and 3 drones aren't gonna chew through 60 wounds, no matter how well I roll! The best i did was to remove 16 boyz with all 6 drones engaged, with +1 attack from GUO, +1 for the locus and +1 from GK (failed to get blades off).

Having the 6 drones also allowed me an additional offensive strategy- I have the mega defense with the combined -4 to hit, 60 PBs and the +1 wound spell from GK or the drones mega offense, with the double +attack from GUO and GK along with blades. As it turned out, GK didn't do anything for me, so I couldn't do either one to maximum effect, but having 4 sources of -to hit and having 2 command abilities with +1 attack, and regaining 4 command points with the artefact, meant I could try both in the game. I think if GK's spells went off, I would have gotten to the objective in enemy territory 1 turn earlier and would have won a major, as it was it took 3 turns and we drew on VPs, so i won a minor on kill points. 

Edited by hughwyeth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Some good points. Yeah I just rolled extremely bad for GK. I've had serious bad luck with him- the previous time I played him I didn't get a single spell off. Against Ironjawz it can be hard- he took 2 weirdboyz and they kept getting +2 to cast/unbind because he had them next to a big unit of ardboyz. 

The sorcerer should be good on the vortex, then. He should be able to get foul regenesis off for wheel shenanigans so you can maybe snipe some MWs on those shamans with Rampant Disease. Then try plaque squall, (from him as well for the extra range). I'll admit to having abysmal luck with that spell myself..... even when I do get it off, I rarely get any 6s?. The key here, obviously, is to take out the shamans.  Gutrot, perhaps? Idk. We have no IJ players around here ATM except for one lad who brings a Cunning' Ruk. That's a whole different kettle, but, again, it's all about hero hunting. 

Good luck. Let us know what you do to mitigate this.

• Like 1

I guess this has been adressed several times probably, but are the Magothlords really bad in the new edition Age of Sigmar? I actually like the models bloab and morbidex, but i was planning on building Bloab, hes a wizard and his Daemon flies ability does help the rest of your army. So for smaller battles 1000-1500 i was planning on trying him out. Anyone want to share their thoughts?

greetz

260 points, 1 spell mmmm

Morbidex is the only i would play right now, since he has the best melee profile and you can summon nurglings during the game to use his ability without spending points at the start, the only one I don't have ?

Edited by calcysimon

One big problem about Nurgle Wizards in general is the lack of casting help, outside of the daemon item. Having a 260pt model that can only cast one spell, and most likely his signature spell, is not a fun time with the huge unbind range.

I think they should count the Maggot Lords as Daemons to at least give some more synergies. One of them is even half daemon! And another is BFFs with Nurglings! Just Retcon the maggot beasts as daemons, no one will notice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

One big problem about Nurgle Wizards in general is the lack of casting help, outside of the daemon item. Having a 260pt model that can only cast one spell, and most likely his signature spell, is not a fun time with the huge unbind range.

I think they should count the Maggot Lords as Daemons to at least give some more synergies. One of them is even half daemon! And another is BFFs with Nurglings! Just Retcon the maggot beasts as daemons, no one will notice.

Amen brother. And even then their use would be situational at best. They need to be more realistically priced..... 200-220 range, IMO.

• Like 1

Well if I were to change the Maggotlords other than point reductions, I think

1. The pox maggoths become daemons, giving Daemon Keywords and Disgustingly Resilient

2. Bloab should be able to cast 2 spells

3. Maybe Morbidex Twiceborn makes Nurglings Battleline? Would make Menagerie lists more interesting. I think the loss of a general trait balances it out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Well if I were to change the Maggotlords other than point reductions, I think

1. The pox maggoths become daemons, giving Daemon Keywords and Disgustingly Resilient

2. Bloab should be able to cast 2 spells

3. Maybe Morbidex Twiceborn makes Nurglings Battleline? Would make Menagerie lists more interesting. I think the loss of a general trait balances it out.

What, then, do you do about Orghotts? I my mind, the maggothlords are the vanguard of a much larger Nurgle force..... it therefore makes sense to give the daemon keyword, as the main body of an army is going to include daemons, either in the list or summoned. Orghotts was supposed to be the CC hammer, IMO. Right now, at 260 pts, he's a wuss. DR would help some, but it's not enough to cover his points. Depending on what else you give them, (extra spell for Bloab, the Nurgling bump for Morby etc), it would follow that each of them would come in at a different cost. I'd sure like to be able to fit these guys back into a list. They've been gathering dust here for a loooong time.☹️

11 minutes ago, Tasman said:

What, then, do you do about Orghotts? I my mind, the maggothlords are the vanguard of a much larger Nurgle force..... it therefore makes sense to give the daemon keyword, as the main body of an army is going to include daemons, either in the list or summoned. Orghotts was supposed to be the CC hammer, IMO. Right now, at 260 pts, he's a wuss. DR would help some, but it's not enough to cover his points. Depending on what else you give them, (extra spell for Bloab, the Nurgling bump for Morby etc), it would follow that each of them would come in at a different cost. I'd sure like to be able to fit these guys back into a list. They've been gathering dust here for a loooong time.☹️

Maybe change his Rotaxes from being a multiwound unit finisher to what the Blightkings have (turning his hits into D6)?  That'll certainly give him a lot more punch.

45 minutes ago, Easytyger said:

Congrats! Are the lists posted any where?

Best coast pairings app! Then look for nova AoS gt. Rough outline of lists:

khorne: 4 bloodthirsters (wrath, rage, rage, fury) Karnak, 20 flesh hounds and 2 battalions.

Tzeentch: 3x 10 acolytes, kairos, loc, gaunt summoner, chaos lord on manticore, 9 enlightened. 

Nurgle (me): 10 blightkings, 5 Kings, 5 Kings, 20 maruaders, gutrot, lord of blights, the glottkin, harbinger of decay, Chas warshrine, blight cyst

deepkin: lotsss of eels. 12 ishlaen guard. 9 morsarr. Eidolon of the sea, soulscyer, tidecaster, volturnos, fleetmaster.

nagash: Nagash, necro, Carin wraith, 30 grimghast reapers, 30 reapers. 3x 5 dire wolves, spell portal shackles. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

khorne: 4 bloodthirsters (wrath, rage, rage, fury) Karnak, 20 flesh hounds and 2 battalions.

Tzeentch: 3x 10 acolytes, kairos, loc, gaunt summoner, chaos lord on manticore, 9 enlightened. 

Nurgle (me): 10 blightkings, 5 Kings, 5 Kings, 20 maruaders, gutrot, lord of blights, the glottkin, harbinger of decay, Chas warshrine, blight cyst

deepkin: lotsss of eels. 12 ishlaen guard. 9 morsarr. Eidolon of the sea, soulscyer, tidecaster, volturnos, fleetmaster.

nagash: Nagash, necro, Carin wraith, 30 grimghast reapers, 30 reapers. 3x 5 dire wolves, spell portal shackles. 

Oh cool app. Thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Easytyger said:

Congrats! Are the lists posted any where?

Congratulations.

Do you think that you will do a write up of your experiences at the event.

I’d also be interested to read your thoughts on how you play your list, anything you would change about it and weaknesses you think it has. 

12 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Grats on a  great finish! So the blightcyst was worth it after all? You seemed to be more inclined to plague cyst. Did the shooting attacks from the blight kings do anything for you? They usually fail to hit/wound anything for me. I only take the battalion for the rend, artifact and CP.

Edited by Tasman

I will definitely do a write up of my games. I will try not to be long winded. But need a keyboard so probably tomorrow. 

@Locien83 @hughwyeth I am so happy I took the shrine. It was clutch. No one aspect overshadowed the other. Rerolling all wounds on blightkings that get so many hits was sooo good. The extra 6++ saved my harbinger and glotkin on several occasions from death. And it’s kinda Tanky at 12 wounds 4+/5++/6++. No slouch in combat either with 6 attacks 4/3/-0/2 damage. People seemed to Target it with surprising concern.

@hughwyeth glotkin has a key role in deciding the biggest game of the second day. More details to come ?

@Tasman blight cyst was dope. After a few test games plague cyst was simply not worth it. Nice with blessed sons. Fun! Not sure if it’s competetive. Probably with right list but I didn’t have the time to find the secret sauce. 

• Like 2