AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

23 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

Where do the 2 extra attacks per Knight come from ???

put the carrion dirge on the CLoDM for another bravery debuff. bonus points if you put hideous visage command trait for another -2 plus the natural -1 from the knights. I would put the glaives on the alpha striking unit for max damage. Combine with bravery bomb and its lots of fun. 

Hi, new nurgle person here! Have always mainly painted and collected but now am playing Aos with friends.

The match is for 2k (flexible, if it's a bit over) list against the following armies Stormcast  / overlords and possibly clan pestilence.

I have the following models that is going to likely limit army list, I was thinking blight cyst as I love blight King models. 

Hope you can help! Going to get some marauders but won't be in time for match. Sorry for long post!

Glottkin
Guo (forgeworld model with sword) can be flexible with weapons 
Bloab
Harbringer of decay
Beast of nurgle
Gnarlmaw
Horticulous
Gutrot spume
Spoilpox
Poxbringer
Lord of blights
Lord of plagues
Rotbringer sorcerer 
30 plaguebearers
15 blight kings 
3 bases of nurglings
6 plague drones

1 hour ago, Opidel said:

Hi, new nurgle person here! Have always mainly painted and collected but now am playing Aos with friends.

The match is for 2k...

You have a great selection of models to choose from! I would start your list with the minimum blight cyst and add some punch to it.

Lord of Blights

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

Blight Cyst

That all equates to 840 points

Add in a Great Unclean One and a unit of 6 Plaguedrones (these are your heavy hitters once you get them extra attacks from the GUO's command ability and their locus ability)

You are up to 1580 and I think you want some flavor of Rotbringer Sorcerer in there to cast Blades of Putrefaction on your drones. You have exactly enough room for the Glottkin but...if it were me, I would just take the vanilla sorcerer and then you would have 300 to spends on some smaller toys (Gutrot is nice, especially if somehow you found another 5 Blightkings somewhere, that would be exactly 300 points).  I am basically suggesting a Rotbringers army with an independent drone bomb attached. The GUO needs to keep-up with and baby sit the drones, but I find this is reasonable if you plop your tree down in the middle of the board and equip the GUO with a bell. Maybe give him Endless Gift so he can get stuck-in alongside the drones and not worry about dying.

Summon-in your plaguebearers in units of 5 or 10 to catch objectives mid and late game.

The Glottkin will be more fun when you have those Marauders ready and when you aren't playing against Pestilence :)

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Domowoj said:

You have a great selection of models to choose from! I would start your list with the minimum blight cyst and add some punch to it.

Lord of Blights

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

Blight Cyst

That all equates to 840 points

Add in a Great Unclean One and a unit of 6 Plaguedrones (these are your heavy hitters once you get them extra attacks from the GUO's command ability and their locus ability)

You are up to 1580 and I think you want some flavor of Rotbringer Sorcerer in there to cast Blades of Putrefaction on your drones. You have exactly enough room for the Glottkin but...if it were me, I would just take the vanilla sorcerer and then you would have 300 to spends on some smaller toys (Gutrot is nice, especially if somehow you found another 5 Blightkings somewhere, that would be exactly 300 points).  I am basically suggesting a Rotbringers army with an independent drone bomb attached. The GUO needs to keep-up with and baby sit the drones, but I find this is reasonable if you plop your tree down in the middle of the board and equip the GUO with a bell. Maybe give him Endless Gift so he can get stuck-in alongside the drones and not worry about dying.

Summon-in your plaguebearers in units of 5 or 10 to catch objectives mid and late game.

The Glottkin will be more fun when you have those Marauders ready and when you aren't playing against Pestilence :)

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the guidance :) It helps a lot.

fingers crossed I win

Hi all, so I'm just picking some bits up and was wondering if this could be something to build towards?

Allegiance: Nurgle
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Festus The Leechlord (140)
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
Plague Priest with Warpstone-tipped Staff (80)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes
Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 163

4 hours ago, Lardidar said:

Hi all, so I'm just picking some bits up and was wondering if this could be something to build towards?

Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)

- Axes
Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

Looks pretty solid.... the only thing I'd change,---and this is just my preference, is a blight lord instead and blight cyst. You'd have a little trouble freeing up the 20 pts, tho. And the synergy that you have would change a bit, but I like his command ability better.

Also, check out some of the cool artifacts in the Malign sorcery book. In particular ulgu for the sword of judgement, or Ghyran for Ghyrstrike. Either of these on the Verminlord are epic.

30 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Looks pretty solid.... the only thing I'd change,---and this is just my preference, is a blight lord instead and blight cyst. You'd have a little trouble freeing up the 20 pts, tho. And the synergy that you have would change a bit, but I like his command ability better.

Also, check out some of the cool artifacts in the Malign sorcery book. In particular ulgu for the sword of judgement, or Ghyran for Ghyrstrike. Either of these on the Verminlord are epic.

He actually have 80 points left over because eblessed sons required plague.

3 hours ago, Tasman said:

Thanks, yeah I was looking at blight cyst but then I watched a video comparing the two and plague actually came out on top. The good thing I suppose is that the miniatures are practically the same so I could buy the above and very easily try both.

Also yeah...sword of judgment is what I'm looking at. So evil! I have been using it in my order army on a 6 attack character and it gets the job done...so a 10 attack, yum!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tasman said:

Yeah! The Ghystrike artifact really brought the Lord of Plague into the game for me. That guy has taken many by surprise. He doesn’t look like much and can easily stay out of the heat. Once he get in he can punish even the biggest monsters and heroes with a bit of luck and if he dies its still only 140pt, not like your masterplan fell apart.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BlancoNino said:

He actually have 80 points left over because eblessed sons required plague.

Yup. I missed that. To be honest, there's nothing wrong with that list at all. I've played a similar one a few times. I just have a preference for blight cyst.

18 hours ago, Lardidar said:

Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)

- Axes
Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

Looks good!

I think you are going to be disappointed by the Verminlord and Plague Priest in this list. The VLC looks great on paper but if your opponent knows that he's got a Sword of Judgment, then the VLC is going to be focus-killed quick. And the priest is awesome in a Pestilence list, but merely alright in Maggotkin. I think your 300 points are better spent on more Rotbringer units that will have the benefit of being part of The Blessed Sons (and giving you the option to deploy your army in a single drop). Maybe drop the vanilla sorcerer and stick The Glottkin in there (Fleshy Abundance will make those marauders shine). Not that you shouldn't buy/build/paint a VLC, etc also for more options... ;)

20 hours ago, Lardidar said:

Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)

- Axes
Plague Cyst (200)
The Blessed Sons (100)

I would trade the sorc, plague priest and vernin lord corruptor for the glottkin. 

On 8/25/2018 at 6:17 AM, Tasman said:

Yup. I missed that. To be honest, there's nothing wrong with that list at all. I've played a similar one a few times. I just have a preference for blight cyst.

I'm not having great luck with blight cyst but taking one to nova. Any tricks or hints you can share?

Ok I'm trying this against some Ironjawz:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 144

So I have -1 to hit from 3 sources (GUO spell, Geminids and Glottkin's ability). Ideally, the 2x30 PBs shield everything (with the fatty bombatty spell for +1 wound), adding another -1 to hit at full strength. Even if I go second, I can get -2 to hit with the PBs thanks to GK's ability triggering at the beginning of the combat phase. I should be able to get -3 to hit average in the first couple of rounds which should really help keep the PBs on the table. I believe he's taking 20 brutes so it'll be a tough slog. 

The aetherquartz brooch is there to give me 1 or 2 rounds where i can also activate the GUO's command ability in addition to GK's to give the drones an effective +3 to their attacks along with BoP spell for insane destruction.

11 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Ok I'm trying this against some Ironjawz:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 144

So I have -1 to hit from 3 sources (GUO spell, Geminids and Glottkin's ability). Ideally, the 2x30 PBs shield everything (with the fatty bombatty spell for +1 wound), adding another -1 to hit at full strength. Even if I go second, I can get -2 to hit with the PBs thanks to GK's ability triggering at the beginning of the combat phase. I should be able to get -3 to hit average in the first couple of rounds which should really help keep the PBs on the table. I believe he's taking 20 brutes so it'll be a tough slog. 

The aetherquartz brooch is there to give me 1 or 2 rounds where i can also activate the GUO's command ability in addition to GK's to give the drones an effective +3 to their attacks along with BoP spell for insane destruction.

I'm pretty sure you meant a +2 attacks on the drones, right? I like your list, but I find it to be a little hero-light. Also, the GUO may find it hard to keep up with the drones, depending on terrain, unit placement etc. He has a large footprint for shadowing..... that said, I never leave home without him?. You will need to be very careful and keep the Glott screened with those PBs. The scenario could make or break this list. Still, it'll be a fun slugfest.

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I'm not having great luck with blight cyst but taking one to nova. Any tricks or hints you can share?

Nothing that you probably don't already know..... It kicks ****** against some armies, but anything that negates rend or has -1 to hit makes for a long day.?

3 minutes ago, Tasman said:

I'm pretty sure you meant a +2 attacks on the drones, right? I like your list, but I find it to be a little hero-light. Also, the GUO may find it hard to keep up with the drones, depending on terrain, unit placement etc. He has a large footprint for shadowing..... that said, I never leave home without him?. You will need to be very careful and keep the Glott screened with those PBs. The scenario could make or break this list. Still, it'll be a fun slugfest.

For drone heavy list, Lord of Afflictions makes a great hero, he counts as a Daemon so can keep up with them to buff them. You can also convert one with a blightking and a plague drone, just have to chop the legs up some and maybe make him a greenstuff saddle=)

6 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Sorry, meant +3 with their locus- so +1 with locus, +1 with GUO command and +1 with GK command, but obviously only on turns I get the additional command point from the artefact. It's not really a super power list at all, but want to see if I can get all the minus to hits off and want to see if either PBs with +2 attacks and blades or drones with +3 attacks and blades can wipe out an entire force. 

I'm hoping the GUO can keep up, with his 8" move with the bell and some run+charge stuff. I've done GUO+drones before and it sort of worked. Generally, I'd keep the drones back behind the PBs as 10 brutes can remove 6 drones in one round of combat easy, so I have to make sure I get the charge and most of my buffs off before sending them in front of the PBs. 

Ultimately, I'm going to have to turtle the GUO and GK together, surrounded by 60 PBs with the BKs holding home objectives and hopefully summoning 10 PBs or nurglings onto other objectives. 

Edited by hughwyeth

On 8/26/2018 at 1:16 AM, Dew said:

Thinking a little outside the box, what does everyone think about a Soul Grinder? They seem decent on paper.

They can shoot after running and with the tree they can run shoot and then charge all in the same turn.

I've never used a Soulgrinder and hardly considered it because, for me, the concept doesn't fit in to the fantasy realm -- I mean, the idea of cybernetic demons is straight outta Doom 2: Hell on Earth! So I can't speak to its effectiveness or battlefield role because of my lack of experience. However, I think it's an interesting warscroll with a few things going for it.

I would maybe compare it to a Maggoth Lord, since it's a 260 point behemoth. It's not a HERO with a spell, but it has more wounds, is faster, and can potentially do a lot of damage with rend.  And like you said, it can get right up in your opponents face and do it's entire song-and-dance. The rend damage is maybe not as important as it used to be; since our battletome was released, a lot of our Nurgle drawbacks from AoS1 aren't as severe or we have more ways to get around them. But rend is great! Also, I love interactive abilities like "Caught by the Claw."

It sounds like a fun unit to include in a list and a fun model conversion opportunity.

Maybe that's why I like the model, I love Doom lol.

Totally agree though, it doesnt fit AoS at all and kind of puts a cramp on my fluffy style.

I think I might try it in my upcoming Leauge when I know guys are running Nagash at even 1k points. Just bum rush him, shoot, charge and then try and start taking chunks out of him ASAP until the grinder goes down

Well, I played my “2000 points all models I own at the moment #not the best list” first battle with objectives against freeguild. In short my list was: Glott, HoD, Festus, Sorcer, Gutrot, LoB, 3 times 5 PBK and 1 10 PB unit, and the battalion blight cyst.

It was a disaster, I was completely whipped after 4 rounds. Already at the start it went wrong, in my herophase I could cast 5 spells (sorcerer had muttergrub) 3 from the five rolls where a 3, and that left me with a mystical shield I got and well nothing else left to do….enemy was still too far away for all other spell I had. Then I ran to the objective so no shooting with the dead heads and for charge I still was way out of range. My Enemies turn went a little better and he got hold of the objective (it was a moving one by the way). My next round I thought, let’s get some action going. Again two spells missed and one was unbound, left me with some spells with not much use in this phase so I moved and charged, and that was the big tactical mistake, apparently when you charge some free guild unit, they scream for help and other units in range of 12’’ can shoot, and they do that before I get to do anything. Anyhow 40 dice 2+ 2+ hit pretty hard….etc etc. That was pretty much my game.

I learned a lot, obviously, but it was a hard lesson.

I’m going to play some smaller game next time, I really still need to learn the mechanics, and the tactics and the opponents tactics etc.

My next army will be: Bloab (just ordered it, love the model), Festus, Harbinger, Lord of Plagues, 3 units 5 PBK, 1 unit 10 PB and Plague cyst. This is exactly 1500 points and hopefully will stand against a Nighthaunt?? (I reasoned the blight cyst with rend and shooting heads is great, but the rend is no use on those ghosts, so I then find the blight cyst to expensive and rather re-roll failed hit rolls with the plague cyst)

Greetz

Edited by Fluxlord