AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 12/20/2021 at 11:21 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I feel like Drowned Men has play even with minimal investment in Pusgoyles. I think the utility is already there if you bring even just a single unit of them. The 8" pre game move is just really nice for an army that is as slow as Nurgle is now.

I actually think if you are just playing Nurgle goodstuff, then you can fairly comfortably pick any Plague Legion. None of them have crazy good benefits for a mixed list. The only one to avoid seems to be Filthbringers (if you are not going to include a Rotcoven, that is).

On 12/20/2021 at 9:39 AM, spenson said:

Befouling host seems like the best one for armies that don't heavily invest in one specific theme.

Thanx for the advice test model done

nurgel1.jpg

nurgel2.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 3

I played a fun game with 2k Maggotkin versus similar Kruleboyz. My list was thus:-

WARLORD BATALLION:-

GUO

Bileblade and Bell

Witherstave 

Fleshy Abundance

Lord of Afflictions

Splithorn Helm

Living PLague Command Trait

Lord of PLagues

Sorceror

Gift of disease 

PLague Drones 

HUNTERS

2 x 5 Blightkings

1 x 20 PLaguebearers

Some lessons I learned from this

1) Speed being slow means a lot more of the critical decisions are needed during your deployment as there is nothing that can save a unit of 20 plaguebearers thats just not able to get anywhere.

2) Disease points do add up fast and the chip damage from them can make all the difference. Doubly so when you have a GUO with the Witherstave!

3) I prefer "Gift of Disease" to "Rancid Visitations" on my sorceror (A delightful trick I did manage to pull off was targeting a garrisoned unit in his deployment zone with the  Gift of disease and watched as almost all of his army got a disease point on turn one). 

4) There is not much point putting in the Bilepiper and the Scrivener in a non summoning list as you will still get one in your second turn normally. I did and this allowed me to position it somewhere nice and central to give off his buff aura.

The Great Unclean one was every bit the combat monster the rules make him out to be and I did not feel overly threatened with him when facing off against a Sludgeraker Beast. He did get absolutely annihilated by a Warboss with the Destroyer charging him though (25 wounds and I failed 20 of them which is pretty bad luck I feel). Despite this, said Warboss did die to disease points almost immediately afterwards!

Across the whole battle I lost about a third of my army and barely noticed. Lost my Lord of Afflictions, Plague Drones and the GUO but even they took quite a while to kill. Top of turn 4 my opponent conceeded as he only had a unit of Kruleboyz and a troggoth alive!

• Like 1

This is going to sound very cynical, but it is pretty telling that coupled with the fact that we have had a brand new edition in last six months and a total reworked new faction book in the last 3 weeks... there has been barely 5 pages of discussions since the full book was reviewed...

I have myself made 2 or 3 lists and played a hand full of games, but im already finding myself going over to other of my armies . I feel that this book is pretty uninspiring, initially and after 3 weeks. Worry i am not the only one.

Sad diseased panda

40 minutes ago, Dracan said:

This is going to sound very cynical, but it is pretty telling that coupled with the fact that we have had a brand new edition in last six months and a total reworked new faction book in the last 3 weeks... there has been barely 5 pages of discussions since the full book was reviewed...

I have myself made 2 or 3 lists and played a hand full of games, but im already finding myself going over to other of my armies . I feel that this book is pretty uninspiring, initially and after 3 weeks. Worry i am not the only one.

Sad diseased panda

The buzz around this book definitely seems to be limited. I don't think it's a bad book. It definitely feels more like nurgle than the old tome. But I also don't see anything this release did that would entice new players to pick up the army. It really is just a compliance update for AoS 3 for the most part.

1 hour ago, Dracan said:

Yeah, i dont think competitively it is "bad" either, it has a few builds, but just not very inspiring is the only word that comes to mind.

Competitively Nurgle is strange. I am not sure the book is suited for the current environment, but it's not a bad book. I find it hilarious that the book has a bad match up against Hedonites of Slaanesh of all armies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dracan said:

Sad diseased panda

Would have been nice to see some new releases.

17 hours ago, Dracan said:

Sad diseased panda

Well, due to Covid restrictions I can't even play, so why should I theory raft a lot of lists? 

The book offers some possible themed builds and I like the fact that I can now have an easy to transport and rather elitish list. That's something I wanted to have for a long time. 

And I do not enter tournaments in AoS, therefore the limitations in competitive play doesn't really interest me that much. 

All in all I have to say that I'm happy with this update. I got more offensive units (even with their high pricing) and all rules are in one book (at least for a couple of weeks). 

Though a lot of stuff seems to be rather gimmicky. 

Been playing a few games quietly with proxies while I build up the models but here is a list that I think will work well (with Bloab or Orghotts if you wanted to be more attack focused) screen and hold objectives with Plaguebearers then the maggoth lord, blightkings and heroes work as a block to spread the disease love and pain to the enemy 

Army Faction: Maggotkin of Nurgle
    - Army Subfaction: Filthbringers
    - Grand Strategy: Blessed Desecration
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Rot Coven (360)**
    - Spells: Gift of Disease, Cloying Quagmire, Rancid Visitations

Poxbringer (145)**
    - Artefacts: The Witherstave
    - Spells: Fleshy Abundance

Lord of Blights (150)**
    - General
    - Command Traits: Infernal Conduit
    - Artefacts: The Splithorn Helm

Bloab Rotspawned (300)**
    - Spells: Plague Squall

BATTLELINE

Plaguebearers (150)*

Putrid Blightkings (250)*

Plaguebearers (150)**

Plaguebearers (150)**

ENDLESS SPELL

Umbral Spellportal (70)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Hunters of the Heartlands

**Warlord

TOTAL POINTS: (1975/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

• Like 1

- Facción del ejército: Maggotkin de Nurgle

- Subfacción: Benditos Hijos

- Gran estrategia: cuidar el jardín

- Triunfo: inspirado

LIDERES

Señor de las aflicciones (210) *

- general

- Rasgos de mando: hedor abrumador

- Artefactos de poder: el escudo de los crecimientos

Señor de las plagas (150) *

Festo el Señor de las sanguijuelas (150) *

Gran Inmundo (495) **

Sacerdote de la plaga (85) **

LÍNEA DE BATALLA

5 x Ruinas pútridas (250) *

5 x Ruinas pútridas (250) **

2 x Señores de la ruina Pusgoyle (220) **

OTRO

10 x Perros de guerra del Caos (80) **

1 x ladrón de mentes Sphiranx (95) **

TERRENO

BATALONES BÁSICOS

- * Señor de la guerra

- ** Regimiento de batalla

PUNTOS TOTALES: 1985/2000

Creado con Warhammer Age of Sigmar: la aplicación

8 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Been playing a few games quietly with proxies while I build up the models but here is a list that I think will work well (with Bloab or Orghotts if you wanted to be more attack focused) screen and hold objectives with Plaguebearers then the maggoth lord, blightkings and heroes work as a block to spread the disease love and pain to the enemy 

Army Faction: Maggotkin of Nurgle
    - Army Subfaction: Filthbringers
    - Grand Strategy: Blessed Desecration
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Rot Coven (360)**
    - Spells: Gift of Disease, Cloying Quagmire, Rancid Visitations

Poxbringer (145)**
    - Artefacts: The Witherstave
    - Spells: Fleshy Abundance

Lord of Blights (150)**
    - General
    - Command Traits: Infernal Conduit
    - Artefacts: The Splithorn Helm

Bloab Rotspawned (300)**
    - Spells: Plague Squall

BATTLELINE

Plaguebearers (150)*

Plaguebearers (150)**

Plaguebearers (150)**

ENDLESS SPELL

Umbral Spellportal (70)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Hunters of the Heartlands

**Warlord

TOTAL POINTS: (1975/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Looks pretty good. The only suggestion I can make is to put the arcane tome on one of the rot coven members for the extra cast/unbind at plus 3. Definitely a solid choice until it gets nerfed somehow.

• Thanks 1

Hej guys, i Play in 2 Hours against Serraphones ( Slann, EoG, StegoChef, 2 Salamder, 2 Bastiladons) with this List:

Allegiance: Maggotkin of Nurgle
- Subfaction: Drowned Men

- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

Leaders
The Glottkin (700)*
-
Lore of Malignance: Rancid Visitations
Festus the Leechlord (150)*
-
Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Lord of Afflictions (210)*
-
General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Disease
Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)*
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)*
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)*
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Wounds: 106
Drops: 1

What did u think, should i go first or not ?

Do u think i should drop the LoAf and 1 or both Pusgyole?

I am not sure ;)

On 12/27/2021 at 6:49 PM, Dracan said:

Sad diseased panda

Generally these forums are not what they used to be and people largely visit them just to lurk around general/spoiler threads. There has pretty much always been pretty silent when it comes to the army subforums. 

I have played around 10 games on TTS with the new book but all mostly Glottkin variations. 

These are my thoughts so far:

Rotigus is way too expensive at 495 considering his spell is only D3 MWs (the app is wrong). So first off you have to roll a 7+ (with a reroll, sure), then you need to roll 5+ to generate targets and then you need to roll D3 MWs. If it was flat 3 MWs I could see him maybe being played, but right now he sticks to the theme of the book - Jump through many hoops for a medicore reward, that sucks. 

Our casting in general is kinda meh - A lot of the spells are being cast on a 7+ or they require you to jump through some weird hoops for the spell to even work after the opponent has failed to unbind you. This is really bad IMO and it means dabbling into magic isnt worth it despite there being some OK mortal spells (if you didnt have to jump through various hoops). There is nowhere to get +casting unless Rot Coven at which point you have to spend 400 pts on 3 little 5 wound dudes that all have to stand together. 

Rancid spell is absolutely insane against big units but the current meta is about monsters and elite units so this is bad for now, but will be really good further down the line when a new GHB changes focus from monsters.

Gift of Disease is a great spell, easy to cast and with 21" range with an additional 7" you can typically get it off turn 1 (if you give the turn away/they take it) and tag multiple units to get the party going.

All the Maggoth Lords seem really good and if it wasnt because everything else seems overcosted, I would actually say they are undercosted for what they bring. At 300 they would be insane in any other army. 

Glottkin is incredibly strong even at 700 pts. He dies fast but the utility he brings is really big. 

Plaguebearers are great when you look at effective health, especially with Fleshy Abundance ontop but thats literally all they do.. 1 attack each is pitiful. In an army with generally low output we need to grind the opponent down and the Plaguebearers simply dont do it with their weapon profile, even if you give them +1 attack from a Scrivener. I think 10 is an ok screen and objective holder.

Blightkings give a lot of attacks and in turn a lot of grinding power with their bellyflop and just combat profile. Stacks Diseases nicely. The issue though is their price and low mobility. Its a bit like Ironjawz - You have Brutes that deal way more damage but they are too slow so people default to Gore Gruntas. I feel somewhat the same apply here, even if Blight Kings deal more damage, Pusgoyle Blightlords are just so much faster in a generally slow army, so even if you lose out on attacks I think the tradeup is worth it. I rarely see myself using Blightkings because of this.

LoP/LoB seem worthless considering the above - I would rather have more bodies than a somewhat useless foot hero that buffs a unit I generally dont favour. The Poxbringer is also a bit loser in this book imo.

The Scrivener/Slopitty are both pretty reasonable with Sloppity being a lot more useful since it buffs all Daemons, although I would never include them in my list but rather summon depending on need.

Lord of Afflictions/Spume are really strong to deepstrike units - Deeping units seem really good for us due to 1) generally bad movement, gives you a way of threatning objectives/support heroes in the back of the opponent's army 2) we get extra summoning points - 3 is a pretty big swing and 3) its a free savage spearhead battle tactic, whats not to like? A lot of people prefer the Lord of Afflictions general with Overwhelming Stench to stop command abilities and then the 4+ ward artefact. I really like Spume because he allows all Mortal Maggotkin units to travel with him. 

All in all I think there are some clear bad/lazy design choices, maybe because of last-minute cuts due to internal testing, that become more apparent as you play games. The army in general is tanky, but we got some serious punchy units in the meta ala Ironjawz or Fulminators and the 5+ ward is not strong enough for you to just sit around and wait the game out. You need to grind and kill units. 

This is generally why I have kept playing my Glottkin list as it offers a lot of punch and the ability to mess with my opponent (end of their move charge is sick!). 

• Thanks 7

38 minutes ago, Kasper said:

This is generally why I have kept playing my Glottkin list as it offers a lot of punch and the ability to mess with my opponent (end of their move charge is sick!). 

Thanks for sharing you experience! Have you settled in a list using the Glottkin after your games? I'm curious in how to fit him in a list, but most the ones I find only focus on the GUO or Bloab + Orghotts.

36 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Thanks for sharing you experience! Have you settled in a list using the Glottkin after your games? I'm curious in how to fit him in a list, but most the ones I find only focus on the GUO or Bloab + Orghotts.

Im really liking this list below - Either play it in Befouling or Drowned Men to meet battleline requirements, although either subfaction is essentially worthless for you. 

Thats another thing with our book - I have felt that it really doesnt matter what subfaction you take. None of the benefits are really that good (I guess Drowned Men could be used if you want to try and alpha the opponent with mass Pusgoyles?) so sadly all they are is a means to meet the battleline requirement for me.

Leaders
The Glottkin (700)
Orghotts Daemonspew (300)
Gutrot Spume (170)

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers (150)
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (110)
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (110)

Units
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000

Basically you have Glottkin as a single drop (typically the chosen general as well) with the rest in a battle regiment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Is there a general consensus on the book? It seems to have just passed by and feels a bit forgotten at the moment! 

Well, what I've read on the internet is that it is kinda gimmicky, difficult to position and low damage output compared to some other factions but for me personally, the new book sold me to the Maggotkin. 

The book is very much in keeping with Nurgle as a theme, slow trudging infantry with a lot of bookkeeping to be had. Since I'm a new Nurgle player I don't really have any past experience with the army (FEC player) but I love the elite feel of it.

Only real gripe I have with it is that it's too much focus on unique characters (Slimux, Glott, Maggoth lords etc.) but that's probably just me. The Lore of Virulence (daemon lore) is small and not very good in my opinion, same with Avatars of Corruption (daemon command traits). Overall feels like the mortal side of the army got the better deal compared to the daemon side. 

But hey, I just blew the bank and bought an entire army since the books release so it gets a solid thumbs up from me!

P.S. Very nice paintwork @Fellman and @Neil Arthur Hotep

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4