AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

8 hours ago, Wulfenone said:

Stunning, well done encapsulates the feeling the Rot and Decay.

19 minutes ago, Bululu said:

Hi mates, i would like some help. If someone got the building instructions of the glottkin and can share me some photos of them i would be glad :) thanks in advance!

Thanks very much. Can't wait to play them with the new rules. Really excited to see how the disease rules play

Rules question about Gutrot Spume:

Q: When I use Gutrot Spume’s Master of the Slime Fleet ability and
include a unit of Putrid Blightkings with him, does this count as
setting up one unit or two units?

A: It counts as a single set-up.

Does setting up units with Gutrot reduce your number of drops during set up? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Because if so, it seems like you could put Gutrot into a Battle Regiment, set up other units that are outside the battle regiment with his Master of the Slime Fleet ability and further reduce your drops overall. Would be pretty handy, since he can now set up all MORTAL MAGGOTKIN units, so you could one-drop with all three Maggoth Lords in your army, for example.

15 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Rules question about Gutrot Spume:

Does setting up units with Gutrot reduce your number of drops during set up? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Because if so, it seems like you could put Gutrot into a Battle Regiment, set up other units that are outside the battle regiment with his Master of the Slime Fleet ability and further reduce your drops overall. Would be pretty handy, since he can now set up all MORTAL MAGGOTKIN units, so you could one-drop with all three Maggoth Lords in your army, for example.

I think that faq is from the AOS 2 battletome so it does not apply. Reading it on the new gutrot spume warscroll i think it implies that you have to select the rest of the units afterwards. So i think that unless faqed again that faq is not valid and now is no longer a single deploy as RAW

Edited by Bululu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bululu said:

I think that faq is from the AOS 2 battletome so it does not apply. Reading it on the new gutrot spume warscroll i think it implies that you have to select the rest of the units afterwards. So i think that unless faqed again that faq is not valid and now is no longer a single deploy as RAW

Yeah, I suspect that the real answer is either found on the new Gutrot warscroll (can't easily check those yet) or in the next FAQ. But just in case this answer somehow makes it into the next FAQ, it might be worth keeping in mind.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Yeah, I suspect that the real answer is either found on the new Gutrot warscroll (can't easily check those yet) or in the next FAQ. But just in case this answer somehow makes it into the next FAQ, it might be worth keeping in mind.

The new text goes basically like this (resumed) :

"during deployment, instead of setting up this unit on the battlefield, you can place it to one side.. as a reserve unit...
if you sdo so, when you would set up another friendly Mortal maggotkin of nurgle unit durign deployment, ... you can join it as a reserve unit"

To me its pretty clear written as multiple deploy and  not single and doesnt need a faq, if its get faqed its to change it, not to "clear confusion"

Edited by Bululu
  • Thanks 6

Heres the army I am looking at running, I just wondering on people with more experience than me think. I've only had 1 game of 3.0 (playing with SCE to learn the rules) last time I played was at the beginning of 2.0 

Any advice on what would play well to help win battleplans would be great.

Lord of Blights 
Festus the Leechlord 
Great Unclean One 
     - General
     - Bilesword and Bileblade
BATTLELINE
5 x Putrid Blightkings 
5 x Putrid Blightkings 
5 x Putrid Blightkings 
20 x Plaguebearers 
OTHER
3 x Nurglings 
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Chronomantic Cogs 
TERRAIN
1 x Feculent Gnarlmaw
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 1950/2000

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Your number of drops will always be determined by how your list is built and not deployment rules/warscrolls. I don't think this will get FAQ'd because it's always been this way.

15 minutes ago, Predien said:

Your number of drops will always be determined by how your list is built and not deployment rules/warscrolls. I don't think this will get FAQ'd because it's always been this way.

I mean, I know that is the general rule, but according to the current Maggotkin FAQ there was apparently at least one exception until just now with the release of the 3rd edition tome. Or otherwise I don't understand how to interpret that FAQ entry.

EDIT: Actually, let's just put this tangent to rest. It's probably just a weird thing about set ups with Gutrot where I don't get why it's ever relevant.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I mean, I know that is the general rule, but according to the current Maggotkin FAQ there was apparently at least one exception until just now with the release of the 3rd edition tome. Or otherwise I don't understand how to interpret that FAQ entry.

EDIT: Actually, let's just put this tangent to rest. It's probably just a weird thing about set ups with Gutrot where I don't get why it's ever relevant.

I definitely get the confusion from his ability and that FAQ. The old warscroll is worded super weird. They use "set-up" when referring to deploying Gutrot and the unit during the deployment phase and when you bring him and the unit in from off the table. GW should have clarified that by making the distinction between the two but it's GW :(

This was a good thing to bring up though. I really think Nurgle wants low drops and looking for ways to do that is beneficial.

• Like 1

Oof, ok got a game in at the FLGS tonight. I played against Hedonites and let me tell you that was a rough matchup. The slow grinding gameplay that Nurgle is really good at? Slaanesh just freaking loves that. We stopped at the bottom of 4, but my opponent had summoned a keeper and an exalted chariot and was easily on track for 2 more keepers by the end of the game. With all the healing they have access to the disease points basically did nothing other than feed him free depravity all game and he just eventually won out on the attrition war. Now granted his dice came through at some clutch moments, but they also absolutely tanked at others. All in all against a competent Slaanesh player with a good number of heroes and Sigvald popping up in Lurid Haze I don't know what we can do to put the fight in our favor. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: Ha, my 666th post was about having problems fighting slaanesh. Nice.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Edit: Ha, my 666th post was about having problems fighting slaanesh. Nic

HAHAHAH Problems with Hedonits  :D:D:D

But jes Hedonits will love oure new Dispo Rules.... U Need to Keep up to Play the Postion Game. Slannesh had not enough Dmg to kill a solid Maggotkin Army (or with super heavy Luck by hitting and noch 5+ for Nurgle)

Jes Sigvlad could be a Problem. Put Plaguebearer iin his Way, than go and Stomp him in the Ground with a GUO or Glootkin.

I had both Army (8k Nurgle and 11k Hedonits) so i will try somethings ;)

17 hours ago, underdog6750 said:

Any advice on what would play well to help win battleplans would be great.

Sounds Solid. Go out and try and then report ;)

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

Oof, ok got a game in at the FLGS tonight. I played against Hedonites and let me tell you that was a rough matchup. The slow grinding gameplay that Nurgle is really good at? Slaanesh just freaking loves that. We stopped at the bottom of 4, but my opponent had summoned a keeper and an exalted chariot and was easily on track for 2 more keepers by the end of the game. With all the healing they have access to the disease points basically did nothing other than feed him free depravity all game and he just eventually won out on the attrition war. Now granted his dice came through at some clutch moments, but they also absolutely tanked at others. All in all against a competent Slaanesh player with a good number of heroes and Sigvald popping up in Lurid Haze I don't know what we can do to put the fight in our favor. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: Ha, my 666th post was about having problems fighting slaanesh. Nice.

What was your list?

20 hours ago, Bululu said:

"during deployment, instead of setting up this unit on the battlefield, you can place it to one side.. as a reserve unit...
if you sdo so, when you would set up another friendly Mortal maggotkin of nurgle unit durign deployment, ... you can join it as a reserve unit"

Nighthaunts and some other armies have the same description, and all of them count as one drop to set-up. 

Only Skavens have the Hidden Weapon Teams rules. But the rules makes it clear "Do not set up the WEAPON TEAM unit until it is revealed as described next."

Edit: Nasty Skulkers (legends) have the same ability as Hidden Weapon Team

Edited by Beliman
  • Thanks 1

So, first draft for a list:

Spoiler
Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Drowned Men
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (210)*
- General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: The Splithorn Helm
Bloab Rotspawned (300)*
- Lore of Malignance: Rancid Visitations
Gutrot Spume (170)*

Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)*
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)*

Units
6 x Nurglings (210)*
- Reinforced x 1

Artillery
Plagueclaw (160)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125
Drops: 1

The plan:

This is a one-drop list that can deploy almost completely off the board if needed, but has the flexibility to alpha-pin the opponent instead if that is better.

A Lord of Afflictions general in Drowned Men lets you decide at the beginning of the turn whether you want to deploy him and the two units of Blightlords in the sky, on the board with a 8" pre-game move or even a combination of the two.

Bloab and Gutrot are a pair that will probably come in from behind the opponent or on a neutral edge most games. He can potentially take the Blightkings with him, as well, if it's convenient. Bloab with his -1 to hit, cast and mortal wound auras is quite nice to have near enemy casters and ranged troops. He can cast his warscroll spell to make a unit take mortal wounds in each phase that it has taken other wounds, so potentially 1d3 mortals in the hero, charge, shooting, combat and battleshock phases with this list. Alternatively, he can cast Rancid Visitations to delete a horde unit if he gets in range of one. Or just Mystic Shield, the old reliable.

The last troop slot is filled with Nurglings, which can be set up off board and pop out of a terrain piece turn 1. They are not the best troop option ever, but they combo with what this list is trying to do. Plus, they are cheap.

I bring a Plagueclaw catapult because it fits into Battle Regiment without increasing drops. It has a decent shooting profile of 36" inches, 1 attack, 3+/3+/-2/d6, 2d6 against units with at least 10 models. A decent shooting attack against hordes seems valuable in this list, since it runs low bodies, but overall I don't care that much about what happens to the Plagueclaw and how much work it does. If the opponent commits a unit to destroy it, that's probably already worth it for this list.

Artefacts, spells and traits:

The Lord of Afflictions is the general. He will take Overpowering Stench with the aim to shut down the opponent's command abilities, particularly All-Out defense and Inspiring Presence, which should help the other Blightlords grind down units more quickly. He is very tanky between 3+ save and 5+ ward, but it might be worth earmarking All-Out Defense for him to help him stick around.

This list will only have one artefact available, since it's a 1 drop list. Only the Lord of Afflictions can take artefacts, anyway. The ones to consider are probably the Splithorn Helm (or one of the other defensive artefacts), Rustfang or the Arcane Tome. The Tome is a real contender, too, since it gives you a chance to have the LoA cast Mystic Shield on himself an extra unbind attempt. This list is about dragging the opponent into a grindy battle they don't want, so making their casting less reliable is very worthwhile.

I put Rancid Visitations on Bloab because I think having a chance to kill a horde is good in this list, plus he's +1 to cast and it's a 7 CV spell. But Cloying Quagmire is another option worth considering, halving movement and -2 to charge is brutal.

Summoning Board:

This list is not summoning heavy. You will most likely want to bring the cheap, good stuff like Sloppity Bilepiper and 10 Plaguebearers. Summoning 10 Plaguebearers turn 2 should be fairly easy and will be a big help with the objective game for this list.

Alternative options:

• Swap out Bloab for Orghotts (or Morbidex I suppose).

Having a more offensive unit drop in with Gutrot might be cool, and the free command points would be nice. The problem is that if you bring Orghotts, this list has no casters. You'd have to make do with the Lord of Afflictions with Arcane Tome for all your casting and (more importantly) unbinding needs. Or you could...

• Swap out the Plagueclaw for a Cygor

The Cygor is actually a weirdly decent pick in this list! He's a non-hero monster, so he can go into Battle Regiment without bringing up drops. His shooting attack is worse, but he gets to unbind 2 spells per turn, so that's neat. He's also slightly cheaper than the Plagueclaw at 140. The biggest draw back is that the Cygor is a super dumb looking cow and I hate him.

• Swap out the Nurglings for Plaguebearers

You lose the ability to go off board with all your non-artillery units, but Plaguebearers are a good bit better than Nurglings in general. The problem is that they sit at an awkward point value for this list. 150, or 300 if reinforced. Replacing the Nurglings with 10 Plaguebearers leaves you with 70 unspent points, not ideal. You can't even really justify bringing endless spells because this list had no casts. You can fit in 20 Plaguebearers if you leave the artillery at home, though, and that might be a good option.

• Higher drops?

You could consider not being at 1 drop. It would not be the worst thing in the world, since this list is pretty flexible in deployment, anyway, so there's no risk of being pinned in your territory. 2 drop is stil fairly easy with two battle regiments, and opens up the option to bring another big monster hero, which might be nice. This list still lacks a Locus of Fecundity so far, but that extra heal alone is probably not worth compromizing the one-drop for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Kasper said:

What was your list?

GUO
- witherstave, nurgling infestation
- fleshy abundance
Lord of Blights

2x5 Blightkings
2x20 Plaguebearers
3 Plague drones

Burning Head

He was playing with:
Keeper
Synessa
Exalted Chariot
Sigvald
Shardspeaker

2x11 Blissbarb archers
2x5 hellstriders

He summoned a keeper bottom of turn two and got a lucky 12" charge with Sigvald around my screen and onto the GUO while the keeper got a 10" charge into the screen. That one shotted the GUO through mystic shield because the keeper let him fight twice due to the fight first on charge and then picking sigvald again immediately. He did awful with damage on both keepers most of the game though, so the dice weren't all in his favor. The biggest problem was all the healing he could put out (spell from keeper, spell from synessa, heroic action, keepers getting any kills and then using the hand) so if I fell short of getting a kill (which I did on his flaming weapon chariot several times for example) he could heal up and keep in the game. Plus the healing makes disease counters feel extremely bad because they just feed him summoning points like crazy. I certainly made some mistakes and I'd play some things differently, but it felt like a really bad matchup. 

Edited by Grimrock

2 hours ago, Grimrock said:

GUO
- witherstave, nurgling infestation
- fleshy abundance
Lord of Blights

2x5 Blightkings
2x20 Plaguebearers
3 Plague drones

Burning Head

Would you like to tell your ideas behind that list?

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

So, first draft for a list:

Reveal hidden contents
Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Drowned Men
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (210)*
- General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: The Splithorn Helm
Bloab Rotspawned (300)*
- Lore of Malignance: Rancid Visitations
Gutrot Spume (170)*

Battleline

Units
6 x Nurglings (210)*
- Reinforced x 1

Artillery
Plagueclaw (160)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125
Drops: 1

Like your idea! Not that I do think it´s the most competetive list ever, but I was about to start an all deepstrike army (Grand Alliance Order) shortly before 3rd edition were released (it´s not possible any mor due to the fact that there is no Grand Alliance Allegiance any longer).

And now I can execute that evil plan in Maggotkin of Nurgle – didn´t even notice before your post.

5 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Would you like to tell your ideas behind that list?

Mostly just using what I already owned haha, but I think it has legs at least. Definitely meant to be an all comers list rather than targeting a specific meta/build. Two units of plaguebearers to provide bodies for objective control, two units of kings to provide baseline threat and bully enemy units. Plague drones to provide movement and some ranged threat. GUO for a big hitter that can tank big threats and hit back really hard. I don't really like the Lord of Blights/burning head, but they're there because I had 205 points leftover and wanted another hero. 

Edited by Grimrock

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Like your idea! Not that I do think it´s the most competetive list ever, but I was about to start an all deepstrike army (Grand Alliance Order) shortly before 3rd edition were released (it´s not possible any mor due to the fact that there is no Grand Alliance Allegiance any longer).

And now I can execute that evil plan in Maggotkin of Nurgle – didn´t even notice before your post.

Yeah, I am not going for super competitive. I mostly just want an elite list with a fun play style made up mostly of models I like. Otherwise, I would go in way harder on demons and probably not run 5 flies, haha.

22 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Oh, do you think, demons are better than mortals?

Not necessarily, but I think a good Nurgle list probably needs a mix of both. Plaguebearers have really good support and Plague Drones have that really nice shooting attack. Not to mention all the good demon heroes. If I was not doing that whole one drop, deploy off board thing, I would probably try to get 20 Plaguebearers with the Scrivener and a unit of Plague Drones in my list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grimrock said:

Mostly just using what I already owned haha, but I think it has legs at least. Definitely meant to be an all comers list rather than targeting a specific meta/build. Two units of plaguebearers to provide bodies for objective control, two units of kings to provide baseline threat and bully enemy units. Plague drones to provide movement and some ranged threat. GUO for a big hitter that can tank big threats and hit back really hard. I don't really like the Lord of Blights/burning head, but they're there because I had 205 points leftover and wanted another hero. 

I think one issue in your game is while hedonites are weak they have some match ups they dominate in, a fully buffed and supported sigvald will nuke alot os stuff in game as alot of big heroes rely on after saves and is now core gimick for all nurgle. Also hedonites want to fight slow stuff with little range threat, nurgles slow damage over time mortal wounds will be great into storm cast but against lightly armoured slaanesh whose fear is mass volume ranged fire and want small damage, nurgle might be just be in rough match up vs its little brother.

Your best bet might be deep strike drones to attack his troops, more plague bearers to bubble wrap. Dont bother attack units unless you can garuntee you kill it so focus fire. Keepers are kind of traps to attack, they are not that scary for their points, they whiff alot and cant fight twice themselves so nuke who they are babysitting then rest of troops.

• Like 1