AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, frostfire said:

Guys, I‘ve quit nurgle for a long time now I want to return to Papa nurgle since SCE dragons are missing for the moment😅.

Still got my tri-GUO list, are they any good now? How do they perform on the tabletop nowadays?

With all the bonuses when you complete battle tactics with monsters they are quite good at scoring points, and with heroic recovery adding yet another healing layer, they are even harder to kill.

You can have a look at Andy Hugues 4-0-1 list from facehammer gt 2021 if you want ideas on how to build the list;

https://tabletop.to/facehammer-gt-2021

Nurgle players in a mono demon list, Great Unclean one as general? -16 wounds and tough or Lord of Afflictions as general only 8 wounds not as tough BUT has access to Spearhead of Contagion for early objective control(adds 8 to the Pusgoyle Blightlords movement) making them a base movement of 16"-cost a command point. I am running 6 Pusgoyles in my list 1 group of 4 and one group of 2. 

Also blade or flail on GUO. I think its always go blade just wanted to double check. 

Edited by Jamezorz

1 hour ago, Jamezorz said:

Nurgle players in a mono demon list, Great Unclean one as general? -16 wounds and tough or Lord of Afflictions as general only 8 wounds not as tough BUT has access to Spearhead of Contagion for early objective control(adds 8 to the Pusgoyle Blightlords movement) making them a base movement of 16"-cost a command point. I am running 6 Pusgoyles in my list 1 group of 4 and one group of 2. 

Also blade or flail on GUO. I think its always go blade just wanted to double check. 

For most scenarios you don't need extra movement to reach objectives on the first turn if you run a few units and have a GUO with bell, without considering circle of contagion. Doesn't mean LoA is bad a general, but this buff doesnt strike me as game changer.

If I run single GUO I use bell+blade. If I run 2 GUOs i like having the second one with massive blade+flail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibob45 said:

For most scenarios you don't need extra movement to reach objectives on the first turn if you run a few units and have a GUO with bell, without considering circle of contagion. Doesn't mean LoA is bad a general, but this buff doesnt strike me as game changer.

If I run single GUO I use bell+blade. If I run 2 GUOs i like having the second one with massive blade+flail.

Thanks!

Played this list against a Seraphon monster list and got shot to pieces. The 2 of the 20x Plaguebeares did nothing but die and the one fully buffed 20 unit. I could only get 6-7 in melee due to unit coherency. They managed to take out one of the monsters but the list had 5 more. They then died as well. Any suggestions? Change up my battalions I think I hunters in the heartland isn't worth it in the long run. I'd honestly rather just play Blightkings if I am going to get wiped out at least I'll roll lots of dice to make it happen. I will save the global reduction to rend was nice. One Last gift didn't do any damage(he didn't roll 1's). 

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:
Leaders
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Afflictions (180)*
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (125)*
Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers (220)**
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Plaguebearers (220)***
- Reinforced x 1
Units
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (370)***
- Reinforced x 1
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (185)*
Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Hunters of the Heartlands
Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136
Drops: 9

Just realized this isn't a legal list. I can't have 2 Hunters of the Heartlands per page 13 of the GHB.

Edited by Jamezorz

23 hours ago, Jamezorz said:

Played this list against a Seraphon monster list and got shot to pieces. The 2 of the 20x Plaguebeares did nothing but die and the one fully buffed 20 unit. I could only get 6-7 in melee due to unit coherency. They managed to take out one of the monsters but the list had 5 more. They then died as well. Any suggestions? Change up my battalions I think I hunters in the heartland isn't worth it in the long run. I'd honestly rather just play Blightkings if I am going to get wiped out at least I'll roll lots of dice to make it happen. I will save the global reduction to rend was nice. One Last gift didn't do any damage(he didn't roll 1's). 

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:
Leaders
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Afflictions (180)*
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (125)*
Battleline
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Plaguebearers (220)***
- Reinforced x 1
Units
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (370)***
- Reinforced x 1
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (185)*
Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Hunters of the Heartlands
Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136
Drops: 9

Just realized this isn't a legal list. I can't have 2 Hunters of the Heartlands per page 13 of the GHB.

May be remove the lord of afflictions give the whiterstave to the GUO and remove to pusgoyle frome the 4 model until for Glottkin or rotigus. This will make PB stronger as the -1 to hit + the repeat 6s to hit is a very good combo. It also helps to get more 1s for the one last gift ability

On 10/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Refiasgna said:

May be remove the lord of afflictions give the whiterstave to the GUO and remove to pusgoyle frome the 4 model until for Glottkin or rotigus. This will make PB stronger as the -1 to hit + the repeat 6s to hit is a very good combo. It also helps to get more 1s for the one last gift ability

Sadly I don't have another GUO or Glottkin. I have a bunch of Blightkings and all associated heros(not the maggotlords). 

Since it seems pretty likely that we get a book sometime soon I've been mulling over the future of Nurgle. I've been really fighting the urge to go on a spending spree lately because there's so much uncertainty with a new book, but I thought maybe we can figure out at least a little of what's coming based on what we've seen from the new 3rd edition books. These are my thoughts so far:

1. Warscroll command abilities are likely to get removed and replaced with an enhancement list of once per game options. This will likely have pretty huge ramifications as the Great Unclean One, Glottkin, and Harbinger all have excellent abilities. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to the list of once per game abilities, but losing them on the Glottkin and Harbinger in particular will massively affect the viability of those models. I assume their stats will get tuned up or cost decreased significantly, it's hard to see how they'd be viable without a full rework. 

2. Artifact and command trait lists will be trimmed down significantly. I can't see this being a problem as there were only 2-3 viable from each list to begin with. Hopefully the witherstave makes it through the transition.

3. Sub factions will be trimmed down to a simple ability with no artifact or command trait. This could be the most problematic as we seem to be crutching pretty hard on Munificent Wanderers right now, with One Last Gift being particularly important. It's possible that could shift over to the main ability for the sub faction, but I'm still worried. 

4. This one is less concrete, but based on the trend with stormcast we may see warscrolls being generally simplified and made a little more lethal. Rend 1 on blight kings seems like a near guarantee to me, and we could easily see the loss of Virulent Discharge in exchange for simpler/more consistent healing. Daemons could also lose their individual locus abilities in exchange for a universal one similar to other chaos books.

5. As always I'd expect a general shakeup in builds/effectiveness. For example the GUO with bell/blade is the default choice, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a nerf to the bell and a massive buff to the combat power of the sword/flail option. Pusgoyle blightlords might see a big buff (maybe they'll be similar to the dragon riders?) while plague drones get a nerf. Maybe the maggoth lords will finally be viable with the addition of the monster keyword and a couple other changes. 

Does this all sound reasonable? Is there anything glaring I'm missing from the Stormcast/Orc books that might have a significant effect on the faction? 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

That all seems reasonable, I really am waiting on seeing what Battletome is coming.

I also wonder about any new miniatures added to the mix?  I think the Daemon side is in good shape, while there are a few 'gaps' in the Mortal side which could be filled.

I think Endless Spells must surely make an appearance, as Nurgle is the only Chaos faction that doesn't have any.

I think a Priest Model/Warscroll will appear as Priests have been given extra abilities but don't appear in many armies.  Perhaps a plastic version of Harbinger of Decay would work, but that is only speculation.

Finally it would be nice to have some cheap/horde Mortals, like Pox Walkers, or Pestigors, but will have to wait and see.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jazzbeaux said:

Finally it would be nice to have some cheap/horde Mortals, like Pox Walkers, or Pestigors, but will have to wait and see.

I hope that they manage to run it that way:

horde style = (lesser) daemons, ie Plaguebearers and Nurglings (especially Nurglings need a role in that army)

elite style = mortals. I do not want more models / units that bear paper-weapons. I like to get some hard hitters. Make them ressilient and hard hitting and I´d love them.

• LOVE IT! 2

So I've taken the plunge with papa N. Bought 2 maggotkin SC, 2 Nurgle daemons SC, 1 broken realms gortle pulpskull box, 2 GUOs, 1 maggoth lord, 1 glottkin, a few 3rd party nurgle trees, and an extra box of PBs and pusgoyles for a LoA. Been spending all my hobby time building everything up and magnetizing the bigs. So ready for the new book!

I'm crossing my fingers for endless spells and pestigors.

Edited by Verminlord
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I would not worry this much! We will get new abilities. Ofc you will miss old stuff, but it is always like that. I think we wont get worse with new book. We just get better. 
And i think the mortal side will be buffed. Because gw trys to make all the Chaos faction more mortal based That you can not play them in 40k and aos.🤷🏼‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

This all seems quite 'minimum effort', one new miniature of a figure that least needed updating as Fecula exists.  Other Finecast figures that might now be on the chopping block?  No Endless Spells mentioned, no new unit either.  Can only wait to see what the Battletome rules might bring...

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Do we realy Need new units?

Endlessspells would ne awesome, but i feel like Nurgle got every unit they Need to be unique and cool at the Dame time.🤷🏼‍♂️😊

i am happy we get our Codex! Like i Said before, it can only be better!😅

No we don't really need new units, but I was hopeful of a few things.

A Priest hero, which could give options using the new rules.  A cheap Mortal unit to balance up against the other Chaos powers and mean you could build a Mortal only list with more variety.  Endless spells, again to match the other Chaos powers all of whom have them.

A new Sorcerer figure which for which the Finecast one is ok, and Fecula who is a good alternative to, isn't generating a lot of enthusiasm from me.

So yes we have to wait and see on the new rules.

4 hours ago, Jazzbeaux said:

This all seems quite 'minimum effort', one new miniature of a figure that least needed updating as Fecula exists.  Other Finecast figures that might now be on the chopping block?  No Endless Spells mentioned, no new unit either.  Can only wait to see what the Battletome rules might bring...

I think the only old model besides the sorcerer is the harbinger of Decay. There is still a chance that they haven't shown the model yet. Every other Maggotkin of Nurgle kit should be plastic already.

4 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

I think the only old model besides the sorcerer is the harbinger of Decay. There is still a chance that they haven't shown the model yet. Every other Maggotkin of Nurgle kit should be plastic already.

Epidemius, Harbinger of Decay, Festus the Leechlord and Rotbringer Sorcerer are all currently Finecast.

Epidemius has WH40K cross over so could be updated then.  Harbinger is tiny and could have been a cool update with Priest rule, Festus is also small, while the Sorcerer is still a reasonable figure.

9 hours ago, Jazzbeaux said:

No we don't really need new units, but I was hopeful of a few things.

A Priest hero, which could give options using the new rules.  A cheap Mortal unit to balance up against the other Chaos powers and mean you could build a Mortal only list with more variety.  Endless spells, again to match the other Chaos powers all of whom have them.

A new Sorcerer figure which for which the Finecast one is ok, and Fecula who is a good alternative to, isn't generating a lot of enthusiasm from me.

So yes we have to wait and see on the new rules.

I think we get a priest! The harbinger Could be an excellent one.

I think we Need to wait.😅

• Like 1

Morning

I haven't followed the competitive scene at all in 3.0 just wondering are maggotkin an army that can reliably go 4-1 or 5-0 in an event.

Prepping for a big event in March and wanted to start early. I know the new book is coming but there seems to be a resonable chance that it won't arrive by then either. 

The new tome is in December, if it is delayed till march or later that would be a huge disappointment haha

I don't see that happening though, maybe models could be delayed that long like the dragons but I am sure the tome would not be.  The announcement was close enough to December I am sure the tomes are already printed and likely on there way out to the various GW warehouses around the globe (if not already there)

• Like 1