AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, peasant said:

IN the build of a transportation box, Do you know if rare earth magnets will work with magnetic sheets? Or is better to go the metallic sheet route?

I used some magnetic sheet (for printing fridge magnets) today and it worked fine with my magnetised minis. Metal sheet is a stronger attraction though. I use metal sheet for transport boxes and cut up the magnetic sheet to put in movement trays.

Edited by Luke82
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cchalmers said:

I ask the CP question because I like bringing HoD and PBK's. Generally you want his 5+ up ASAP so you can't really afford to stack the points. Have I just become a bit tactically narrow and need to reevaluate my lists? 

Probably, with HoD, especially if playing against ranged, right, you would probably use his ability every turn.  You could have additional points from battalions or from  unused matched points  that you could strategically use on key turns to activate another command ability. I think Lord of Afflictions ability is a great one time use. It was a bad ability before because of this, but now that you can get all of its value with 1 point, it's really good.  Can you imagine a unit of 4 Blightlords going 16" + run + charge (across a tree) with a Glottkins Command ability on them too?  If they surive until the next turn, maybe your harbringer can catch up and use his command ability for the rest of the game.   That combo costs 100 points, or 50 if you also took a batallion. 

Stacking commands is a one shot tactic, unlikely to change the game outcome.  I used it last week to put a lot of hurt on skeletons, but it fell short.  Granted, without stacked +attacks I might not have even dented their ranks.   

I wouldn't keep more than 1-2 spare commands, and then only if you have multiple good abilities for the alpha.

I think for AOS 2, a good "stacking" Nurgle game would be:

1 stackable command (GUO or Glottkin)

1 non-stackable command (HoD, LoA, etc)

2-4 spells worth of wizards

1 predatory endless (if you place 2, your opponent always controls 1)

0-1 non-predatory endless

Batallion (for command point and second artifact)

Either Lords with LoA for battleline or Kings otherwise.  

Gnarlmaws (best use of summoning points, imo)

The combination of our spells (debuffs), one-time attack buff, and our resilience makes for a good attrition game.  I don't see a place for Slaves right now.

• Like 2

Still slowly painting a list I started when maggotkin came out. How does the following (with minor tweaks) shape up now?

Allegiance: Chaos
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avvien said:

I think that looks great! - Not totally sold on the Umbral Spellportals or the Blades of Putrefaction myself, but like you said - minor tweaks. Try to play a few games like this and report back to us, yeah?

I had this idea that those two would work in conjunction so that a hidden sorcerer could keep casting from far, far away (avoiding the dispells that'll be more prevalent now) but I've absolutely no testing experience that this works :)

With a list such as yours, I'd personally opt for Aeathervoid Pendulum (20 points less!) and Plague Squall instead.

Both of these improve hero sniping potential. In the new edition, your drones can't take out heroes as reliably as they could previously. Plague Squall can take out anyone, from anywhere - no range or LoS needed.

The Pendulum is also very strong and can 1-shot many dangerous heroes, especially death-faction ones. It's also easier to control than most other Endless Spells. Plus you have to remember, those spellportals work both ways - He could shoot magic through them, back at you.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I had this idea that those two would work in conjunction so that a hidden sorcerer could keep casting from far, far away (avoiding the dispells that'll be more prevalent now) but I've absolutely no testing experience that this works :)

Nurgle doesn't need to hide its heroes.  They are all pretty resilient.   I'd march them up with your Kings.

@Turragor If you take @Avvien's advice and go with the pendulum instead of the spell portal.. which I would agree with.. you also would be able to start the game with a command point. This is important because if you dont go first, you have NO command points for say inspiring presence you may need from an alpha strike. 

My first game I was toying around a bit and left 100 points off the table. I went first and so had three command abilties. I didnt use one on my first turn. Won priority so start of turn two I had four to use! Popped Morbid Vigor on the harbinger for my block of marauders and many blightkings, and was able to double tap glotkins ability and STILL have a point for an emergency inspiring presence (was playing death who was debuffing bravery! Scary when blightkings could run away due to -2 or -3 three bravery!) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grungolah said:

Gnarlmaws (best use of summoning points, imo)

I actually think its the  absolute WORST summon at this point. Horticulous gives you a FREE tree and the free tree at the begining of the game is all you will need IN MY OPINION. The only use for summoning another tree is two reasons:

A. You dont run Horticulous

B. You want to plug a whole between terrain features and block an opponent's path. I have done this. Once dropped a tree between two features and blocked 40 plague monks from getting a clean charge on Glotkin! 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

3 hours ago, grungolah said:

I don't see a place for Slaves right now.

Marauders are the best recipient for glotkin's buffs and blades of putrefaction. Warriors remain one of the most resilient infantry choices in chaos, the sorcerer lords spell is ridiculously good on blightkings, glotkin, soul grinder and other big monsters, chaos knights are a dope flanking unit, combined with a chaos lord on demonic mount can hit REALLY hard on the charge and are GREAT for taking blades of putrefaction themselves (+1 to hit command ability and rte roll charges), and they debuff bravery..combined with a carrion dirge that's one heck of a bravery bomb!  I think there are many units in the std line that are perfect in a nurgle army,  in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I actually think its the  absolute WORST summon at this point. Horticulous gives you a FREE tree and the free tree at the begining of the game is all you will need IN MY OPINION. The only use for summoning another tree is two reasons:

A. You dont run Horticulous

B. You want to plug a whole between terrain features and block an opponent's path. I have done this. Once dropped a tree between two features and blocked 40 plague monks from getting a clean charge on Glotkin! 

I think this completely overlooks the best use of the tree:  To permit a run/charge.  Because of the timing of summoning, it's basically foolproof.

1) Gather points in the hero phase.

2) Run

3) At end of movement phase, summon a tree behind the unit that runs.

4) At the beginning of charge phase, models that ran can now charge.

The "simple" math adds D6 to a charge attempt, but it's much better than that.  It increases the odds of a charge success, the maximum threat of your whole army, and the angles which you can approach.   I've been using this tactic in all my games, and I rarely give up the alpha strike.

The problem with Slimux's tree is that it is deployed in the hero phase.  You don't get the benefit of moving forward before placing it.  For now, I have tabled Slimux in favor of another wizard.  

Movement phase summoning was meant to reduce the effectiveness of summoning a powerful unit like Plague Drones.  I don't know that they considered the benefit of summoning trees that late.

got an tournament in 2 Weeks and im about to finish Slimux as my last piece ...heres my list :

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
Horticulous Slimux (220)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 114

2 Drops ( do i miss something or is it not possible to start Turn1 with UNits in the enemys Zone?`for 3 more con points )

still think about skip the endless and getting an Festus in for Blades or squall 

( cogs for fast objektive catch on turn1 and higher chance on charge for more drones summoing in ...and Lifeswarm for even more Plaquebearer regenaration)

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (220)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Lord of Blights (140)
Lord of Plagues (140)
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Ghyrstrike on lord of plagues is juicy

+2 hit +2 wound, d6 wounds on 5+ ?

Commands : loblights and loplagues, command to reroll kings moved with gutrot

I was considering kazyk but with kings bravery is not a big problem

Edited by calcysimon

39 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

Leaders
- General
Lord of Blights (140)
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

No harbinger?

Anyone know if you can only take the endless spell from the realm your army is set in or are there no limitations to what you can take?

2 hours ago, Olmdebil said:

got an tournament in 2 Weeks and im about to finish Slimux as my last piece ...heres my list :

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
Horticulous Slimux (220)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 114

2 Drops ( do i miss something or is it not possible to start Turn1 with UNits in the enemys Zone?`for 3 more con points )

still think about skip the endless and getting an Festus in for Blades or squall 

( cogs for fast objektive catch on turn1 and higher chance on charge for more drones summoing in ...and Lifeswarm for even more Plaquebearer regenaration)

Not sold on a lot going on here from a competitive standpoint but looks fun!  Been messing around with “plague skeletons” for a minute now.

5 hours ago, Injuryprone said:

Anyone know if you can only take the endless spell from the realm your army is set in or are there no limitations to what you can take?

There are none.

They just get a small boost if you play with Realm of Battle rules and you are playing in their respective realm. Although, it's unlikely that Realms of Battle will find its way into events.

Note, the home realm thing of your army and the artifacts are separated from the Realms of Battle set, these are two different things. The latter encompasses realm spells from the Malign Sorcery book and everything in the Core Book following page 254.

11 hours ago, Injuryprone said:

No harbinger?

I played harbingers for months, I fell like now a warshrine is stronger 

Same cost, only 6 save, more range, x2 wounds, extra buff-ability

But still this is a list to play for fun ? lord of plagues sucks

On a competitive view i will go with 1 warshrine and 1 kazyk instead of gutrot and loplagues

12 hours ago, calcysimon said:

Leaders
- General
Lord of Blights (140)
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Shouldn't his be:

+! hit +1 wound d6 HITS on 5+?

another Idea on an demonfocus list ... roticus and festus squall for presure low hp Heros ... Gutrot +blightkings to drop in enemys Zone ...what u think?

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Rotigus (340)
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus The Leechlord (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)