AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So I tried out a game with Maggotkin using the new rules and I have to say that the monster, hero, and command ability rules made some absolutely massive differences. I had a support Great Unclean One with bell and blade kill Dexcessa on turn one and then 100 to 0 a summoned Keeper of Secrets on turn 3. I got some lucky rolls on the keeper, but combining his command ability, mortals from the sloppity, spell mortals, charge mortals, stomp mortals, and All Out Attack  made him into a shockingly significant threat. It absolutely sucked to lose out on the warscroll battalions but I made an easy one drop list that included both daemons and mortals which was a really cool benefit. Also having all those command points throughout the game was huge for the army and made all our great command abilities seem a little more usable now. Has anybody else tried out the new rules?

Edited by Grimrock

How is everyone thinking mono-nurgle daemons are looking with the new AoS 3 rules? Shame to lose the battalions I think, as we had an easy 1 drop, but the GUO looks like he's gonna be decent (as grimrock states above) and we can still have a 30-blob of bearers to enhance with the new and improved sloppidy bilepiper.  

Also think plaguedrones might get a new lease of life, because 5 wound models count as 2 on objectives now, don't they? 

9 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

But coherency rules simply make them even less of a threat.

Yeah, I found the coherency mechanic a bit restrictive in combat situations, especially with anything over a 25mm base size. The jury's still out on that one for sure. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

But coherency rules simply make them even less of a threat.

In large units yeah, but they're untouched with units of 3. I've been finding that a unit of 3 with sloppity and spoilpox and the command ability from a GUO just wreck face. All the more now if they buff themselves with all out attack. Plus they're super tanky if you switch the buffs to defensive mode. 

Can you post your list? Thinking about going mono demon now. 

6 hours ago, Grimrock said:

In large units yeah, but they're untouched with units of 3. I've been finding that a unit of 3 with sloppity and spoilpox and the command ability from a GUO just wreck face. All the more now if they buff themselves with all out attack. Plus they're super tanky if you switch the buffs to defensive mode. 

Hey guys,

I ordered a few Boxes of Maggotkin yesterday. I was always a Chaos Player and i wanted to get a wider Range. I got  like 4K points of Tzeentch and i thought it was Time to Slip into Papa nurgles lap.

I mostly Build my List Around models i like, so i bought:

1 SCB Demons 

1 SCB Mortals

1 BR Box

and 1 festus

next thing i want to buy is a potato.

But where to Go then?

I am going to Build:

30 PB, 1 Poxbringer, 1 Bilepiper, 1 scrivener and 3 drones out of the demon boxes.

the Mortal Box gets converted into:

5 PBK, 1 Harbringer, 1 Lord of Afflictions and 1 Lord of Blights.

Thats what i got.🤷🏼‍♂️

16 hours ago, Jamezorz said:

Can you post your list? Thinking about going mono demon now. 

Sure, I think this is pretty close to what I was using. It wasn't pure daemon as I put a couple units of blightkings in there, but I think it can hold it's own. 

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers

Leaders
Great Unclean One (320)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Artefact: Mucktalon
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (150)
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (140)
Lord of Blights (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (190)

Total: 1820 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

It was made before knowing the point changes, but with GHB taken into account I think I actually come out with about 100 spare. Definitely needs some tweaks, but i could see an emerald lifeswarm for sure to keep the plagueberers healthy.

Hi everyone, 

I posted this in the rumours section and Whitefang reacted with Love It!

Is the Maggotkin battletome just around the corner?

I noticed the Maggotkin 3.0 series article was up on Warhammer Community and was pretty confusing.

Firstly it was recommending Nurglings which have also gone up by 10points.

It also recommends Bloab.

But the most curious was that it recommended using the Harbinger to suport Pusgoyles for a 5+ ward. It also mentions in the article that they have 8 wounds when they have 7.

So was this article written with the new battletome in mind or just filled with glaring errors?

Seems like pretty big errors so I think the Battletome is soon.

- +1W for Pusgoyle but no daemon 5+ ward Maybe also losing the daemon keyword?

- Nurgling points increase +10points could that be because they will get a daemon save?

- does the big points jump for PBKs mean they will get rend?

Good morning nurglings 

So I'm thinking about building a new army, nurgle looks good to me because it looks like I can raid my bits box to build so cool looking unique dudes

Question 1 is how do they play, what the general tactic and fell of the army

Question 2 is what should I collect/build, I like to run a different list every game but how many is to many plague bearers and other units

Thanks fo the help 

15 hours ago, Blair said:

Good morning nurglings 

So I'm thinking about building a new army, nurgle looks good to me because it looks like I can raid my bits box to build so cool looking unique dudes

Question 1 is how do they play, what the general tactic and fell of the army

Question 2 is what should I collect/build, I like to run a different list every game but how many is to many plague bearers and other units

Thanks fo the help 

They're mainly designed to capture objectives and using their resilience to hang onto them. Although they're still fairly resilient compared to some armies, the game's changed a lot since the current battletome came out, and there are armies that do this better. Truth be told, they're in need of a new book, which I cannot see being too far off now 3rd edition has dropped. 

It all depends what you want to run. If you wanna run all daemons, you'll want a fair amount of plaguebearers to bulk out your army.

Personally, I prefer Blightkings but I also run a unit of 30 plaguebearers too - and it's handy having some extras laying around for summoning, etc.

What sort of things have you got your eye on?

Edited by Rotbinger
Typo

Thoughts on Plague Monks with 3.0 and reinforcements under Nurgle allegiance?

previously they could be run in hordes of 40 and buffed up with Glottkin and Blades … Now that they will be capped at 20 under Nurgle with the new reinforcement rules do you think they are worth running?

15 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

They're mainly designed to capture objectives and using their resilience to hang onto them. Although they're still fairly resilient compared to some armies, the game's changed a lot since the current battletome came out, and there are armies that do this better. Truth be told, they're in need of a new book, which I cannot see being too far off now 3rd edition has dropped. 

It all depends what you want to run. If you wanna run all daemons, you'll want a fair amount of plaguebearers to bulk out your army.

Personally, I prefer Blightkings but I also run a unit of 30 plaguebearers too - and it's handy having some extras laying around for summoning, etc.

What sort of things have you got your eye on?

I was thinking mainly plaguebearers and blightkings to be honest, kinda want to do it to soak up old bits so those units look ideal to build/convert 

Then maybe the rats nurgle can run I'll convert out of old IoB rats(although I hate rats so maybe not), lastly buy a few big boy heroes 

Would that work? This is no tournament army, we have a small gaming group so I run multiple armies to have variety for fun. I am looking for a workable but not top tier army, I already run a couple of top armies so want something less top tier

On 6/15/2021 at 6:27 PM, Grimrock said:

So I tried out a game with Maggotkin using the new rules and I have to say that the monster, hero, and command ability rules made some absolutely massive differences. I had a support Great Unclean One with bell and blade kill Dexcessa on turn one and then 100 to 0 a summoned Keeper of Secrets on turn 3. I got some lucky rolls on the keeper, but combining his command ability, mortals from the sloppity, spell mortals, charge mortals, stomp mortals, and All Out Attack  made him into a shockingly significant threat. It absolutely sucked to lose out on the warscroll battalions but I made an easy one drop list that included both daemons and mortals which was a really cool benefit. Also having all those command points throughout the game was huge for the army and made all our great command abilities seem a little more usable now. Has anybody else tried out the new rules?

In that case, your best option would be to grab a couple start collecting sets (I think there's three at the moment) and go from there. You'll have a good mix of unit options to start things off. 😊

52 minutes ago, EngraBlackSword said:

Ok, than you. That pretty much killed de game as nurgle for me I guess. I used to play TFB in my region tournamets, so... great.

Well don't drop out right away, the great unclean ones benefit a lot from the new changes to monsters, heroes and wizards. They put out a lot more damage, heal more, and are more resilient. You certainly lose out on the improved plague wind, but the new improvements are significantly less dicey and you don't have to keep the models close to each other anymore. Honestly considering all the other greater daemons and what they lost with battalions, I think triple great unclean ones came out the best of the bunch. Definitely worth trying out a few times at least.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does this work? Am I missing anything (new rules wise)

Warlord battalion

(Enhancement + command point)

Great Unclean one-350-

Spell-favoured poxes 

Artefact- witherstave

Enhancement-grandfathers blessing

Sloppity bilepiper-130

spoilpox scrivener-125

Plague bearers x30-330

Battle regiment (unified)

Glotkin 395

Blight kings 165