AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, meatpipeline said:

I'm currently looking at similar lists, so I'll ask a few questions and provide some feedback later.  I'd like to hear your answers before I influence them with my thoughts.

- Do you see having 1 drop being significantly better than 2 or 3 drops?  Fitting everything within a Tallyband really constrains the units you can use.

- You've setup the Tallyband to get the +1 bonus to contagion points.  Do you see the extra contagion points mattering over the coarse of a game?

- What role do the Nurglings play?

- Do you have a plan for using your summoning points?

- Why no Scriviner?

I have never played this list. I am planning on using it this weekend with some friends.

My answers:

1. I like having 1 drop to start conditioning from the beginning of the battle. In addition it gives more healing to very resilient units.

2 & 5. I want to be sure I can summon the scrivener in turn 2. I don't want to have both sloppity and scrivener sniped. In addition, with those many plaguebearers I hope to get more board control.

3. The role of nurglings is to bother from behind/get some additional contagion points.

4. It will depend on how the game goes or the opponent. Maybe more punch or may be more pleaguebearer bothering the opponent.

Nothing too original here but board control and blobs of Plaguebearers. Pull them in and slow them down? Think the VC will have some punch as well. Just summon in what I need as it goes? Thoughts appreciated.

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers
Great Unclean One (320)
- General
- Plague Flail & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift  
- Artefact: Mucktalon  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (90)
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (90)
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
10 x Plaguebearers (110)
10 x Plaguebearers (110)
10 x Plaguebearers (110)
Tallyband of Nurgle (160)

Total: 1870 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

On 4/6/2021 at 10:33 AM, meatpipeline said:

I'm currently looking at similar lists, so I'll ask a few questions and provide some feedback later.  I'd like to hear your answers before I influence them with my thoughts.

- Do you see having 1 drop being significantly better than 2 or 3 drops?  Fitting everything within a Tallyband really constrains the units you can use.

- You've setup the Tallyband to get the +1 bonus to contagion points.  Do you see the extra contagion points mattering over the coarse of a game?

- What role do the Nurglings play?

- Do you have a plan for using your summoning points?

- Why no Scriviner?

@Gristlegut I played a 1k casual game over the weekend against Stormcast.  My list was:

Munificent Wanderers

LoA (Mucktalon)

Poxbringer (General, One Last Gift)

10x Plaguebearers

5x Blightkings

3x Plague Drones

3x Plague Drones

+1 CP

The Plague Drones + LoA were my MVP.  They are mobile, hold up to incoming damage, and with the extra attacks can do some work.  There damage goes even higher with the wheel (+1 wound), CP (reroll 1s to hit), or when I eventually include the other heralds.

I might try this. One thought I had was pairing up a Daemon prince with a soulgrinder.  The nurgle command ability for the DP makes your opponent eat d3 MW for every 6 on hit rolls. 

1 hour ago, Gristlegut said:

I might try this. One thought I had was pairing up a Daemon prince with a soulgrinder.  The nurgle command ability for the DP makes your opponent eat d3 MW for every 6 on hit rolls. 

No, it´s d3 MW if your opponent rolls at least one 6. See the Errata for slaves to darkness.

Nevertheless I think the Daemon Prince is a good addition because it is one of the more offensive pieces in our faction.

Edited by Hannibal
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Refiasgna said:

I have one question, in the combat phase a 20+ unit of pleaguebearer is -1 to hit. Does this last for the whole phase or does it stop the moment the unit gets under 20 during that same phase?

Thank you.

The way I have played this is the following: My unit has 20+ at the beginning of the combat phase and an enemy unit attacks it, the wounds are counted at the end of the enemy unit's attack. If this brings the PB unit lower than 20, lets say 16, then the -1 to hit is gone. So, if another enemy unit is activated against the same PB unit, with 16 models, in the same combat phase, then the -1 hit is gone. 

If this is not the case then I am doing it wrong.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Hannibal said:

No, it´s d3 MW if your opponent rolls at least one 6. See the Errata for slaves to darkness.

Nevertheless I think the Daemon Prince is a good addition because it is one of the more offensive pieces in our faction.

Before they got pointwise more expensive (160 Points), i' ve tried a 2k list with 3 DP, that list fought very well

against an army of (old) seraphon.

So even now I always try to include at least one DP in my army ;)

6 hours ago, Gristlegut said:

The way I have played this is the following: My unit has 20+ at the beginning of the combat phase and an enemy unit attacks it, the wounds are counted at the end of the enemy unit's attack. If this brings the PB unit lower than 20, lets say 16, then the -1 to hit is gone. So, if another enemy unit is activated against the same PB unit, with 16 models, in the same combat phase, then the -1 hit is gone. 

If this is not the case then I am doing it wrong.

Thank you very much. I am playing it the same way, but I wanted to make sure.

15 hours ago, Gristlegut said:

I have a question, does chaos sorcerer lord have access to our nurgle mortal spells? He has mark of chaos and mortal on his warscroll?

Yes, he has access to these spells as well as to the foul regenesis spell.

My Escalation league will start off with Meeting Engagement at 1,000 points. Battleplans from GHB 2020. I was thinking that getting out of the gate with a hard hitting spearhead is best approach. Here is my list:

SPEARHEAD

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) - Sword - Artefact: The Witherstave

3 x Plague Drones (190)

MAIN BODY

Harbinger of Decay (160) - General - Command Trait: Grandfather's Blessing

10 x Putrid Blightkings (280)

REARGUARD

5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

Anyone have a successful ME list? Looking for comments.

Idea is to have tons of bodies that resist shooting and rather durable in melee. The GUO supports them with the lille guys sitting right behind the GUO which blocks LOS and keeps them alive vs most shooting/magic. Theres random splash healing from the batallion, GUO spell and wheel.

The Drones sit behind the PBs and are ready to countercharge whatever runs into the PBs. I dont like the idea of the LOA and having the Drones be suicide solo squad is the wrong way to go about it IMO. The buffs being triggered in the combat phase means you can go defensive in the opponents phase, and go ham when it is your turn and you decide the combat etc. 

Im abit on the fence on the Poxbringer - 120 pts for essentially just the chance of getting his spell off might be too expensive. The debuff is insane, but 50/50 is kinda bad odds tbh. Alternative would probably be drop him for Geminids + 1 CP and you would be at 1970 which gives an nice chance of getting a triumph too. Reroll saves would be amazing on the PBs but reroll hits/wounds on the Drones would be disgusting. 

1 drop at 1980 pts. 

- Host of Chaos: Droning Guard

Leaders
Great Unclean One (320)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (150)
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (140)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: Cloak of Flies
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
10 x Plaguebearers (110)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (380)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

Edited by Kasper

@KasperI like this list, but why did you choose droning guard? If you keep your drones in the back seems to me that you dont make most off the extra movement. To be honest me myself I really like the artefact from the droning guard, but the command trait from mumnificent is so good. I was planning to run this list at a local event with some 10 players, so I’m curious about your choice.

16 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

@KasperI like this list, but why did you choose droning guard? If you keep your drones in the back seems to me that you dont make most off the extra movement. To be honest me myself I really like the artefact from the droning guard, but the command trait from mumnificent is so good. I was planning to run this list at a local event with some 10 players, so I’m curious about your choice.

Munificent: 

The CA is pretty much useless, I dont see myself ever spending a CP for this. The Command Trait kinda conflicts with Witherstave, so its value is really diminished outside of something with tons of attacks like Plague Monks, Witches, maybe even Skinks. The artefact is useless since none of your heroes are really getting into combat beyond the GUO, and if they do, it wont make a difference. Witherstave is so good that I decided to put it on the GUO since he will sit around for longer. Also likely to be in the front so will affect more enemies. I gave the Poxbringer the artefact since once he gets his cast off he will likely just be stationary. 

Droning:

The CA I can actually see myself using in case the Drones need to tank some damage. Going from ignoring 1/3 of the damage to 1/2 is a pretty reasonable boost to their survivability, especially if you give them +1 save and anti-pile in buffs when your opponent comes in hot. The trait is worthless beyond turn 1, but there might be some battle plans where you really want to grab an objective that is far away, so this gives them an extra move. Against some shooty opponents you might want to have the Drones sit out front and pregame move them 4" forward to zone out the opponent - Im thinking aggressive teleport KO/Flamer Tzeentch/Seraphon that puts their stuff right in your face to snipe your heroes. It gives you some flexible options. The artefact is again kinda meh since you dont want your opponent into combat, but your opponent will want to kill your guys so it gives some extra survivability. 

All in all it isnt a big deal to go either subfaction. The Locus of Corrosion is the real juice imo, then its just a matter of looking at what gives you the most value/options. 

In regards to the Drones - I think they can serve difference purposes depending on batttleplan and matchup. In some cases I would like them to snatch an objective turn 1 (not suicide them however), in some cases I want them to tank damage but in the majority of games I see them simply sitting behind and ready to countercharge, fully buffed by GUO, Sloppity and Scrivener. 

Edited by Kasper

On 4/11/2021 at 11:49 PM, Kasper said:

Idea is to have tons of bodies that resist shooting and rather durable in melee. The GUO supports them with the lille guys sitting right behind the GUO which blocks LOS and keeps them alive vs most shooting/magic. Theres random splash healing from the batallion, GUO spell and wheel.

The Drones sit behind the PBs and are ready to countercharge whatever runs into the PBs. I dont like the idea of the LOA and having the Drones be suicide solo squad is the wrong way to go about it IMO. The buffs being triggered in the combat phase means you can go defensive in the opponents phase, and go ham when it is your turn and you decide the combat etc. 

Im abit on the fence on the Poxbringer - 120 pts for essentially just the chance of getting his spell off might be too expensive. The debuff is insane, but 50/50 is kinda bad odds tbh. Alternative would probably be drop him for Geminids + 1 CP and you would be at 1970 which gives an nice chance of getting a triumph too. Reroll saves would be amazing on the PBs but reroll hits/wounds on the Drones would be disgusting. 

1 drop at 1980 pts. 

FC3583B5-0CE3-47B0-8BA7-547ACFFBC63B.jpeg.489d1fdef4e91d2325cfe8a34a977566.jpeg

This list is great and I like the idea of a one drop. Frist turn, you can take objectives and then start smashing your enemy at the second turn with the aptitudes of sloppity and spoilox. I would recommand another Spoilox if you remove Pox' it's 2k points

Edited by hurben

1 hour ago, hurben said:

This list is great and I like the idea of a one drop. Frist turn, you can take objectives and then start smashing your enemy at the second turn with the aptitudes of sloppity and spoilox. I would recommand another Spoilox if you remove Pox' it's 2k points

Need to play around with the Poxbringer to determine his usefulness. My initial reaction is that he is a waste of points and it greatly relies on luck - I dont like having to rely on a 50/50 cast chance. But yeah you can sub him out for a couple of different choices:

1. Geminids + CP - Gives some ranged poke, extra debuffs that stack ontop of your PBs stuff etc. Making your PBs -2 to be hit in combat or even -3 in shooting is quite big. CV 7 with +1 from the GUO is more managable/reliable than a CV 7 on the Pox with no +1. 
  2. 10 PBs. Not sure you really need more, but on some battleplans it is nice to have them sit behind and guard objectives as you push forward. It is also another screen. 
  3. Extra Sloppity/Scrivener. It will be redundant since the buffs dont stack but in the case of your opponent removing your heroes it is nice with redundancy. In some situations I think the shooting army might have trouble removing the 60 PBs due to the penalties, so even if you lose the heroes turn 1 or 2, you might still be able to keep control of the objectives long enough for you to get too far ahead on VPs. Unfortunately you cant fit in another Sloppity, since the list is 1980 and the Sloppity is 150 - You will be 10 pts over. The Sloppity is easily the best of the two new updated Heralds and I wouldnt consider taking an extra Scrivener in my list, so I dont think this option is that viable.
  4. Sorcerer or Fetus - Gives you a 2 drop but you gain access to BoP rotbringer spell which is pretty huge ontop of the Drones when they can sit with +4 attacks. Again though, it is a CV 7 spell but at least you will always be able to attempt to cast this in turn 1 or 2, where as the Poxbringer might not even be in range of the opponents unit for the first two turns.

Theres some value in sitting in the 1970ish spot. The odds of getting a triump is pretty big, and being able to reroll hits/wounds on the Drones or saves on just about anyting is rather nice. 

Edited by Kasper

8 hours ago, Kasper said:

Munificent: 

The CA is pretty much useless, I dont see myself ever spending a CP for this. The Command Trait kinda conflicts with Witherstave, so its value is really diminished outside of something with tons of attacks like Plague Monks, Witches, maybe even Skinks. The artefact is useless since none of your heroes are really getting into combat beyond the GUO, and if they do, it wont make a difference. Witherstave is so good that I decided to put it on the GUO since he will sit around for longer. Also likely to be in the front so will affect more enemies. I gave the Poxbringer the artefact since once he gets his cast off he will likely just be stationary. 

Droning:

The CA I can actually see myself using in case the Drones need to tank some damage. Going from ignoring 1/3 of the damage to 1/2 is a pretty reasonable boost to their survivability, especially if you give them +1 save and anti-pile in buffs when your opponent comes in hot. The trait is worthless beyond turn 1, but there might be some battle plans where you really want to grab an objective that is far away, so this gives them an extra move. Against some shooty opponents you might want to have the Drones sit out front and pregame move them 4" forward to zone out the opponent - Im thinking aggressive teleport KO/Flamer Tzeentch/Seraphon that puts their stuff right in your face to snipe your heroes. It gives you some flexible options. The artefact is again kinda meh since you dont want your opponent into combat, but your opponent will want to kill your guys so it gives some extra survivability. 

All in all it isnt a big deal to go either subfaction. The Locus of Corrosion is the real juice imo, then its just a matter of looking at what gives you the most value/options. 

In regards to the Drones - I think they can serve difference purposes depending on batttleplan and matchup. In some cases I would like them to snatch an objective turn 1 (not suicide them however), in some cases I want them to tank damage but in the majority of games I see them simply sitting behind and ready to countercharge, fully buffed by GUO, Sloppity and Scrivener. 

That is some elaborate response, thank you. Indeed, the -1 rend reduction is very good (and both subfactions have that), and mucktalon (from mumnificient) is more or less a tax, and exactly for that reason I asked for a reaponse because as you say the 4+ fnp and the cloak of flies artefact are great.

I still am really in doubt for my next event what subfaction to play, and although the witherstave is one of the best artefacts jn the game, i was pondering with the idea of skippin it in favor of the mumnificient command trait. Especially now with the scrivener and sloppity I think we are resilient enough and could skip witherstave to deal those mw back to the enemy. 

after readin your rwsponse Im in doubt again, I tought i made up my mind, but now I’m back at: what to choose, what to choose? Well i guess it is a luxury problem and it is kinda nice.

On 4/13/2021 at 5:06 PM, Fluxlord said:

That is some elaborate response, thank you. Indeed, the -1 rend reduction is very good (and both subfactions have that), and mucktalon (from mumnificient) is more or less a tax, and exactly for that reason I asked for a reaponse because as you say the 4+ fnp and the cloak of flies artefact are great.

I still am really in doubt for my next event what subfaction to play, and although the witherstave is one of the best artefacts jn the game, i was pondering with the idea of skippin it in favor of the mumnificient command trait. Especially now with the scrivener and sloppity I think we are resilient enough and could skip witherstave to deal those mw back to the enemy. 

after readin your rwsponse Im in doubt again, I tought i made up my mind, but now I’m back at: what to choose, what to choose? Well i guess it is a luxury problem and it is kinda nice.

Forcing your opponent to reroll 6s to hit is way better imo than increasing the amount of MWs that are you are reflecting back. Quite a few factions got either MWs on 6s to hit or exploding attacks etc. As Nurgle you are not really looking to kill your opponent but more increasing your staying power so you win on VPs, at least thats how I see it. You can easily goMumnificient and keep all the other things as they are. 

I have been pondering my original list since then and honestly Im tempted to bench the Spoilpox unfortunatenly. While the buff stacking is great, I think the Sloppity buffs is way superior. I realize you cant overlap buffs, but on the table you are not gonna push everything together in a tight ball, you will have to divide your army to capture multiple objectives. People will also aim to single out your Sloppity, so a bit of redundancy is great. You can essentially send 30 PBs + 1 Slop towards one objective and send a similar squad to another objective - The GUO/Drones supporting wherever. 

So, I would swap the Spoilpox with another Bilepiper.  

• Like 1

Hi all,

a couple questions regarding the Wurmspat:

From the warscroll: "Unique. These units must be taken as a set for a total of 180 points. Although taken as a set, each is a separate unit"

Does this mean, that...

• I can use the 2 Putrid Bilghtkings "The Wurmspat" for Gutrot Spume´s outflank ability? Because the warscroll doesn´t mention you have to deplay the wurmspat together with Fecula.
  • I can include the Wurmspat (but not Fecula) into a Blightcyst battalion?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

a couple questions regarding the Wurmspat:

From the warscroll: "Unique. These units must be taken as a set for a total of 180 points. Although taken as a set, each is a separate unit"

Does this mean, that...

• I can use the 2 Putrid Bilghtkings "The Wurmspat" for Gutrot Spume´s outflank ability? Because the warscroll doesn´t mention you have to deplay the wurmspat together with Fecula.
  • I can include the Wurmspat (but not Fecula) into a Blightcyst battalion?

Thanks!

I had to check immediately, but got disappointed. The word blightkings is written in small letters in Spume's Warscroll aswell as in the Blightcyst battalion. This means that they require the Blightkings warscroll. If BLIGHTKINGS would be written in bold letters you could have taken them.

Sorry, i would really like that.

• Like 1