AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

43 minutes ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

Haven’t seen much discussion on the new warscrolls here.

scrivener

bilepiper

beast of nurgle 

have all been rewritten and repointed.

scrivener buffs Plaguebearer (possibly also drones) wholly within 14 in combat phase with plus one rend, save or attack and may well stack with multiple scrivener.

And where did you gat the information from?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

And where did you gat the information from?

I've seen the rumors pop up on a few Discord servers (AoS Coach, The Honest Wargamer, r/ageofsigmar).  Not sure where they came from originally.  I wasn't going to comment on them until we have the full details.

Today's daily reveal article confirms the bilepiper's aura (14", Nurgle Daemons wholly within): +1 attack in melee, 6s to hit (melee and ranged) deal 1 MW, pile-in prevention aura.

Wow, i am very happy how the piper turned out.

+1 Attacks Song: Best for Pusgoyle Blightlords

6s ~ 1MW: well like Blades of Putrification ofc ( but good luck casting that against all those highlvl mages...), thats cool for every unit unit! Plague Drones might be best target for this, since they can get 1+/+2 attacks elsewhere.

Anti Pile-in: This might be the strongest of all the songs, I have a first turn Plague Drone Charge in mind that just binds as many units for as long as they can. And just scatch on those 3'' on all but one weak unit.

2 hours ago, boombyeyeah said:

6s ~ 1MW: well like Blades of Putrification ofc ( but good luck casting that against all those highlvl mages...), thats cool for every unit unit! Plague Drones might be best target for this, since they can get 1+/+2 attacks elsewhere.

Or Nurglings. Those tiny critters become real monsters then.

Best of all: it seems to be  on the warscroll, therefore you can even use it in Chaos Ascendent armies.

Or use this on any Nurgle Daemon unit of the Munificent Wanderers within the general´s aura. Should be pretty high mortal wound output then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

Haven’t seen much discussion on the new warscrolls here.

scrivener

bilepiper

beast of nurgle 

have all been rewritten and repointed.

scrivener buffs Plaguebearer (possibly also drones) wholly within 14 in combat phase with plus one rend, save or attack and may well stack with multiple scrivener.

Can you share any details about warscroll/points changes? You made me so curious!

I think the bilepiper design is inspired. I have always loved the mini, but I was disappointed with him.

The new song mechanic is really cool. I hope other armies get bards too.

Another favorite mini of mine is the beast of nurgle, and I've seen rumors they get a wars roll update too. I'm pretty excited. 

Pretty sure the new warscrolls are on the NZ website, they all look a lot better, all look a lot better, genuinely considering starting a Nurgle's Menagerie list (definitely not in the expectation it will be 'good') in the 2nd half of the year unless something particularly fancy comes along.

6 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

Pretty sure the new warscrolls are on the NZ website,

You´re right.

they all look a lot better, all look a lot better, genuinely considering starting a Nurgle's Menagerie list (definitely not in the expectation it will be 'good') in the 2nd half of the year unless something particularly fancy comes along.

Nice looking rules. But it depends on the points cost of Scrivener and Bilepiper.

Beasts of Nurgle are the damage dealing unit of Nurgle now. The rules seem to better fit the model now. It´s pretty awesome.

EDIT: Bilepiper with a bunch of Beasts of Nurgle = MW fun! Or you abuse the "no pile in" with some 8-wound Beasts.

Though we need points costs to see if we can get a well build Thricefold with the new pieces. I somewhat doubt. It would be the first time that GW did anything good for my collection. :D

Edited by Hannibal

So they lowered the save of both Scrivener and Bilepiper from 4 to 5.
Was this really necessary? They seem like pretty fragile heroes to me anyway (especially by Nurgle standards). I don't know yet the new cost in points of the units but I have a bad feeling about it

Rules for the battalion:

- contains bilepiper, scrivener and 2 units of Plaguebearers

- the first time a unit of Plaguebearers from this battalion is destroyed, get a new unit of Plaguebearers (10 men) with normal "deepstrike" rules, though only in your territory.

- if the Bilepiper from this battalion is your general, he has to get a rather rubbish command trait (+1 bravery to units nearby)

EDIT:

Points from a different source:

Bilepiper 150

Scrivener 140

Beasts of Nurgle 120

Battalion 120 (which is basically for free regarding the free 10 men unit of Plaguebearers you might get sooner or later)

I like the rules for the Bilepiper, though I think this points costs are steep. I´ll try and build some lists, but I´m not sure you can get all the new shiny toys in a workable army, at least NOT with Thricefold, which is a shame.

Edited by Hannibal
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NurgleSeb said:

So they lowered the save of both Scrivener and Bilepiper from 4 to 5.
Was this really necessary? They seem like pretty fragile heroes to me anyway (especially by Nurgle standards). I don't know yet the new cost in points of the units but I have a bad feeling about it

ist 150p for sloppity bilepiper and 140p sor scrivener, 120p battalion costs. ooffff :(

• Thanks 1

First impression was that we get some cool new strategic rules here to get some daemon lists rolling again. 

But after hearing that point costs I'm honestly disappointed. 

All 3 updated units should have been around 100 points... For 120/140/150 I can't see them used in competetive lists too much. I was lacking points in my lists before 😅

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Rules for the battalion:

- contains bilepiper, scrivener and 2 units of Plaguebearers

- the first time a unit of Plaguebearers from this battalion is destroyed, get a new unit of Plaguebearers (10 men) with normal "deepstrike" rules, though only in your territory.

- if the Bilepiper from this battalion is your general, he has to get a rather rubbish command trait (+1 bravery to units nearby)

EDIT:

Points from a different source:

Bilepiper 150

Scrivener 140

Beasts of Nurgle 120

Battalion 120 (which is basically for free regarding the free 10 men unit of Plaguebearers you might get sooner or later)

I like the rules for the Bilepiper, though I think this points costs are steep. I´ll try and build some lists, but I´m not sure you can get all the new shiny toys in a workable army, at least NOT with Thricefold, which is a shame.

I was so hyped for the new warscrolls, although those costs... It sadly seems like those units are overcosted now and only playable build for us is blightcyst with 45-60 blightkings :(

1 hour ago, Nox said:

Wow those points...Oh well looking forward to using these cool warscrolls in a couple of years time after a couple of point drops

Some people think that the higher points cost is a segue into AoS 3.0. LRL and Hedonites have relatively high point costs aswell. 

And that is supposed to cater to a smaller playmat in 3.0.

Rumours ofc but seem quite plausible. 

I don't know guys, those points seem pretty reasonable to me for what they do. The piper has become a lynchpin  model like a bloodsecrator with a little less resilience and a lot more flexibility. The scrivener is a little more focused sure but his buffs can still be pretty great and the fact that he keys off the plaguebearer keyword still gives him some good choices. I don't think either of them are going to rocket nurgle up to the top tables or anything, but they do have some serious potential. 

I've been thinking about plague drones and now you can easily stack +4 attacks on a unit if you bring a great unclean one along. Think about that, 16 attacks per model for plague drones. Or you could go +3 attacks (for a total of 13 each) and mortals on a 6 to hit, or +3 and an extra rend on all attacks. Taking a unit of 6 and launching it up the board turn one can be a legitimately terrifying alpha strike now. Then on the defence you could switch them up to a 4+ save, 4+ disgustingly resilient (with droning guard), and no pile-ins for the enemy. I know that the new warscrolls are a touch squishy, but they shouldn't die turn one and remember they can still be summoned in again later and be fully effective on the turn they arrive. A clutch bilepiper summon could easily turn the tide on a late game combat and is way more reliable than trying to fish for a 9" charge off some plaguebearers. 

This is my idea for a list to try things out using a tallyband:

Great Unclean One
- One Last Gift
- Witherstave
- Bile Blade/Bell
Sloppity
Spoilpox 
-Mucktalon

30 Plaguebearers
3 units of 10 Plaguebearers 
6 Plague Drones 
2 units of 1 Beast of Nurgle

I'm not totally sold on the two units of beasts or the extra unit of 10 plaguebearers. You could drop the beasts to get up to 7 units for the extra contagion point, or maybe drop the beasts for another unit of 3 drones and a command point/endless spell. I was also thinking about trying to fit cogs in there but I don't know if it's necessary. 

• Thanks 1

I think what a lot of people miss here is the fact that the buff is at the begin of combat phase and with 4' move and 14' wholly within bubble I can't see the support to be anywhere offensive or even like alpha strike (some people here mentioning...). 

I see the defensive potential to babysit 30 block of plaguebearers and make them even more tanky... But as mentioned "only" for that reason they are little bit expensive. 

Maybe for countercharging drones... But to make them any worth you'll need both supps for 6er mortals and extra attacks which nets a lot of points and not at all very Mobil which is hurting me the most. 

I'll try it as a defensive support. 

Normally I ran a poxbringer with spell favored poxes with a block of 30 PBs. Maybe now a Scrivener or Spoil do the job better/more consistent on the cost of some extra points and no unbind. 

Let's see what the next week's will bring :)

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Zplash said:

I think what a lot of people miss here is the fact that the buff is at the begin of combat phase and with 4' move and 14' wholly within bubble I can't see the support to be anywhere offensive or even like alpha strike (some people here mentioning...). 

I see the defensive potential to babysit 30 block of plaguebearers and make them even more tanky... But as mentioned "only" for that reason they are little bit expensive. 

Maybe for countercharging drones... But to make them any worth you'll need both supps for 6er mortals and extra attacks which nets a lot of points and not at all very Mobil which is hurting me the most. 

I'll try it as a defensive support. 

Normally I ran a poxbringer with spell favored poxes with a block of 30 PBs. Maybe now a Scrivener or Spoil do the job better/more consistent on the cost of some extra points and no unbind. 

Let's see what the next week's will bring :)

Well don't forget the bell from the great unclean one for the +3 speed, average move with a run is 10-11". That puts you in range to buff a unit pre-pile in without too much effort even on battle plans with a 24" no mans land, and if you really need to there's always the emergency command point for a 6" run. If you're really focusing on alpha strike you can also bring along cogs and cast with the GUO from outside dispel range on turn 1, and you can try spinning the wheel and getting another 2". Plus if you bring 1-2 drops you've got the option to just go second and then it gets a lot easier.

6 minutes ago, hurben said:

You should remove the Witherstave artefact because One Last Gift does 1 MW on 6 to hit on your units and Witherstave rerolls 6s on hit.... not very useful.

Fair point. I mean the witherstave is still solid enough to consider, you just trade off doing mortal wounds for taking less damage. I'll take a look and see if there's anything else I'd prefer.

Edited by Grimrock

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

Well don't forget the bell from the great unclean one for the +3 speed, average move with a run is 10-11". That puts you in range to buff a unit pre-pile in without too much effort even on battle plans with a 24" no mans land, and if you really need to there's always the emergency command point for a 6" run. If you're really focusing on alpha strike you can also bring along cogs and cast with the GUO from outside dispel range on turn 1, and you can try spinning the wheel and getting another 2". Plus if you bring 1-2 drops you've got the option to just go second and then it gets a lot easier.

Fair point. I mean the witherstave is still solid enough to consider, you just trade off doing mortal wounds for taking less damage. I'll take a look and see if there's anything else I'd prefer.

Agree but you want a CP for the 6er run of your drones if you trying to alpha and another one for 150 point supp hero left open in the midfield... I dont think it's worth and we lacking CPs in our army anyway.

Hm not alone as I mentioned 1 supp is not really enough to buff drones to kill something besides screen reliable... And within 7 for another extra attack wont happen with spoil or sriv turn1. 

I'm totally fine if people try it and may get away with it in 1 out of 8 times, just wanted to share that it's by far not too easy to use those 2 great warscroll to make up for the points. Not forgetting all the hero snipping out there. 

On the other hand it's very strong that there is no dice to throw... So it's really up to your plannings and moving to get the buffs off, very low randomness. Besides maybe a required run roll... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hurben said:

You should remove the Witherstave artefact because One Last Gift does 1 MW on 6 to hit on your units and Witherstave rerolls 6s on hit.... not very useful.

Sorry but I think you are wrong because the witherstave only target enemy units and not your own, isn't it?

So it will be useful.