Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Preview today said that Maggotkin will be getting new warscrolls in the next broken realms book! Personally I hope they don't touch blightkings at all, and we get re-writes for all the Daemons that don't get played like Nurglings, Beasts of Nurgle and the 3 heralds. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the Facehammer GT a few weeks ago with my Nurgle army and lost every game! Finished second from bottom! I did however win 2nd Best painted army which was amazing! If you really want to

Here’s some photos of my Maggoth Lord I mentioned earlier. Its my version of Morbidex Twiceborn, but I suppose that as it’s a guy with a scythe it could double as Bloab if I add some flys and bells. I

Thought people in this thread might enjoy a picture of my fully finished army.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

Preview today said that Maggotkin will be getting new warscrolls in the next broken realms book! Personally I hope they don't touch blightkings at all, and we get re-writes for all the Daemons that don't get played like Nurglings, Beasts of Nurgle and the 3 heralds. 

If they follow the example of Idoneth from Broken Realms: Morathi, then they'll be updating the warscrolls for units that don't get used much.  I could see any of the Maggoth lords, nurglings, beasts of nurgle, and sloppity / spoilpox getting updates.  I'd love to see them make one of the Maggoth lords non-unique.

Assuming the warscroll battalions / box sets follow Broken Realms: Morathi... I'm curious to see what the warscroll battalion and corresponding box set will look like.  Our existing start collecting boxes are pretty comprehensive and I'd think they would want to avoid too much crossover.  The target cost ($90-100 USD) seems to indicate the Maggoth Lords won't be a part of the boxes... so I guess I really have no idea.  Maybe a sloppity or spoilpox battalion to go with an updated warscroll?

Either way, I'm excited!

Also, I don't think they'll do Nurgle Endless Spells until a new battletome, so we'll have to wait till AoS 3.0 for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ll also be new warscroll battalions for the Ossiarch Bonereapers, Cities of Sigmar, Maggotkin of Nurgle and the Flesh Eater Courts.

 

Warscroll battalions, not unit warscrolls.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm going to be starting a Nurgle army as my 2021 project, hoping to do lots of conversions etc. I did want to ask 2 questions though before I start spending money.

 

One: Has anyone tried taking the Pestilent Throng battalion and building an old-school deathstar of Bullgors with Great Axes? Warshrine, harbinger, Glottkin CA, all look like they can be stacked on Bullgors, along with the Doombull CA. Is that right?  I thought it might be fun to have a big blendy unit of plagued minotaurs where most opponents would only be expecting to see Blightkings. I'm guessing there's an obvious problem with the idea since I haven't seen it anywhere before! 

 

Two: How easy/likely is it to summon a GUO without spending the points on putting him in your list to start? I don't want to buy the model if there's only a tiny chance of ever getting him on the table. 

 

Thank you for your wisdom! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Unfortunately only the Glottkin CA will work on the bullgors since it affect all friendly Nurgle units. The harbinger CA require the mortal tag. As for the Warshrine, the rules are even more restrictive: it requires both the mortal tag and the STD tag.

2) It is very unlikely to summon a GUO in a game. You'll often want to use your available points to summon a unit of plaguebearers or a feculent gnarlmaw to make a charge after running. Also, the GUO is a support piece that works mostly in the first 2 turns of the game. Having it available at the end of the game would be very unhelpful IMO.

3) Sorry for the bad news and my even worse english 😅

 
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NurgleSeb said:

1) Unfortunately only the Glottkin CA will work on the bullgors since it affect all friendly Nurgle units. The harbinger CA require the mortal tag. As for the Warshrine, the rules are even more restrictive: it requires both the mortal tag and the STD tag.

2) It is very unlikely to summon a GUO in a game. You'll often want to use your available points to summon a unit of plaguebearers or a feculent gnarlmaw to make a charge after running. Also, the GUO is a support piece that works mostly in the first 2 turns of the game. Having it available at the end of the game would be very unhelpful IMO.

3) Sorry for the bad news and my even worse english 😅

 

Thank you for this, you have saved me a lot of money and tears!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the double-post but looking over Azyr app today, I have one last question!

Accepted wisdom seems to be that a big blob of marauders works great in Nurgle lists, but I don't understand why you wouldn't take 20 Chaos Warriors over 40 marauders? Smaller footprint, no degrading stats as their numbers go down, similar weapon profiles, but tougher... Is it literally just because of the easier charge that marauders get to make?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Sorry for the double-post but looking over Azyr app today, I have one last question!

Accepted wisdom seems to be that a big blob of marauders works great in Nurgle lists, but I don't understand why you wouldn't take 20 Chaos Warriors over 40 marauders? Smaller footprint, no degrading stats as their numbers go down, similar weapon profiles, but tougher... Is it literally just because of the easier charge that marauders get to make?

I suppose 40 man group is a more effecient buff target than 20. I do run 20 warriors in my Glottkin army and it works really well but I'm no tournament player.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Sorry for the double-post but looking over Azyr app today, I have one last question!

Accepted wisdom seems to be that a big blob of marauders works great in Nurgle lists, but I don't understand why you wouldn't take 20 Chaos Warriors over 40 marauders? Smaller footprint, no degrading stats as their numbers go down, similar weapon profiles, but tougher... Is it literally just because of the easier charge that marauders get to make?

It's not easier to make a charge, it is basically guaranteed.  The marauder charge rules are ridiculous.  They have get run and charge from the tree, drummer +1 run/charge and change the lowest charge die to a 6, which means you only fail a 9 inch charge on double ones (~97% chance of success).  They can consistently make 11 inch charges.  They move farther (larger threat range) and can consistently get into combat.

Marauders (Axe + Shield) have the same number of attacks as Chaos Warriors.  Marauders get more rend (or the same for a Warrior's greatblade).  Marauders attack at 3+/4+ which is roughly the same as  Warrior's profile.  Large number of marauders take buffs better.  Marauders are less survivable, but that isn't why you take them.

The full answer is that Marauders deliver more damage more consistently than Chaos Warriors.  In competitive AoS, damage is very important as otherwise you can't push your opponent off of objectives, destroy their impactful units, or disrupt their gameplan.  Playing with low damage high survivability is playing to not lose the game.  Even then you have to hope to not die to the insane damage output of the best armies (40 skinks doing mortal wounds on hit / shooting / then charging, Kroak's Celestial Deliverance doing D3 damage to 3 units 3 times a turn, every turn).  With Chaos Warriors you are hopping to hold an object / area and not lose, with Marauders you are actively controlling space and dealing damage.  This is the reason you see Blightkings in all the competitive lists and relative few Plaguebearers.  Blightkings = Marauders, Plaguebearers = Chaos Warriors.

If you aren't playing competitively, put whatever models you like best on the table.  I've heard a lot of people say they hate the Marauder sculpts and either actively look for alternate models or don't play them at all.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meatpipeline said:

It's not easier to make a charge, it is basically guaranteed.  The marauder charge rules are ridiculous.  They have get run and charge from the tree, drummer +1 run/charge and change the lowest charge die to a 6, which means you only fail a 9 inch charge on double ones (~97% chance of success).  They can consistently make 11 inch charges.  They move farther (larger threat range) and can consistently get into combat.

Marauders (Axe + Shield) have the same number of attacks as Chaos Warriors.  Marauders get more rend (or the same for a Warrior's greatblade).  Marauders attack at 3+/4+ which is roughly the same as  Warrior's profile.  Large number of marauders take buffs better.  Marauders are less survivable, but that isn't why you take them.

The full answer is that Marauders deliver more damage more consistently than Chaos Warriors.  In competitive AoS, damage is very important as otherwise you can't push your opponent off of objectives, destroy their impactful units, or disrupt their gameplan.  Playing with low damage high survivability is playing to not lose the game.  Even then you have to hope to not die to the insane damage output of the best armies (40 skinks doing mortal wounds on hit / shooting / then charging, Kroak's Celestial Deliverance doing D3 damage to 3 units 3 times a turn, every turn).  With Chaos Warriors you are hopping to hold an object / area and not lose, with Marauders you are actively controlling space and dealing damage.  This is the reason you see Blightkings in all the competitive lists and relative few Plaguebearers.  Blightkings = Marauders, Plaguebearers = Chaos Warriors.

If you aren't playing competitively, put whatever models you like best on the table.  I've heard a lot of people say they hate the Marauder sculpts and either actively look for alternate models or don't play them at all.

 

That is super helpful, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Maggotkin and Hedonite player, I have to express desire that Maggotkin get the same massive release as Hedonites recently did.

Though I really can not predict when will we get a new battletome and models.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:26 AM, NorthernNurgling said:

Sorry for the double-post but looking over Azyr app today, I have one last question!

Accepted wisdom seems to be that a big blob of marauders works great in Nurgle lists, but I don't understand why you wouldn't take 20 Chaos Warriors over 40 marauders? Smaller footprint, no degrading stats as their numbers go down, similar weapon profiles, but tougher... Is it literally just because of the easier charge that marauders get to make?

Hi,
For me, the biggest interest of 40 marauders is that they will keep their bonus for longer (+1 hit at leat 10, makes 1 at least 20)
+1 to hit = MW on 5+ with Blade of putrefaction.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2021 at 11:11 PM, Sorrow said:

As Maggotkin and Hedonite player, I have to express desire that Maggotkin get the same massive release as Hedonites recently did.

Though I really can not predict when will we get a new battletome and models.

At this point, I'd be rather surprised. With Daughters and Slaanesh, it appears we've seen some lore and such, then a release (BR and now aaaall the Slaanesh products).

Nurgle has been mentioned as one of the factions in BR: Teclis, but nothing else, which makes me think it'll be a minor faction and get some useless battalion or such.  I mean, Nurgle has sort of been under the radar for quite a while, and with Slaanesh being in the spotlight, I don't see more Chaos stuff coming in numbers anytime soon.

So unless the BR is a surprise and GW suddenly goes "fooled ya! Here's an expanded Nurgle release because reasons!" I don't see us getting units or a book until AoS 3. Although, in regards to the book, that might as well be a good thing, perhaps? Imagine yet again being one of the last books from an edition, not being properly prepared for whatever changes in the meta will come.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I'm fairly new to AoS  and listbuilding (my involvement with Warhammer has been mostly painting up until now), but I am now in the process of getting into Maggotkin. Since I love the Glottkin model and I have some marauder boxes laying around, ready to be spiced up to a nurgly standard, I figured I could use them together and ended up with the following list:

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
- Artefact: Muttergrub
The Glottkin (380)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (320)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (190)
3 x Plague Drones (190)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

My question would be whether this is... well, functional. I'm not looking for something supremely competitive, but I'm worried what I've cobbled together might be pretty ineffective or contain detrimental choices. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I am considering getting into Nurgle again and I am wondering what models do people usually summon on? ie. how many plague bearers do I need for summoning. I have a bunch of beasts and extra GUOs. Do people ever summon nurglings or characters? I figure 3 Gnarlmaws is plenty, or should I get 5 or 6? With terrain placement rules it is harder to position them right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 3 Gnarlmaws will most of the tome be enough, except you go on using Horticolous a lot. For my Blightking Army i keep a reserve of

30 Plaguebearers but never had the time (points) to summon more then 15

on the field. I also think PB are better for the most purposes than nurglings.

But i love them anyway :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't played in ages but a friend is starting up a batrep channel so I thought I'd paint up some Nurgle to increase the number of options available to him.

Any thoughts or improvements are welcome. He's trying to showcase a bit more of the fun relaxed side of things so bleeding edge tournament ready status isn't required just aiming for something that will give most things a decent fight.

Thanks!

Allegiance: Nurgle

- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons

Mortal Realm: Chamon

 

Leaders

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)

- General

- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror

- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection

- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall

Lord of Blights (140)

Harbinger of Decay (160)

- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate

 

Battleline

10 x Putrid Blightkings (280)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

 

Units

10 x Chaos Knights (320)

- Ensorcelled Weapons

3 x Nurglings (80)

 

Behemoths

Chaos Warshrine (170)

 

Battalions

Blight Cyst (140)

 

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Prismatic Palisade (30)

 

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 180

The idea being to use the Knights as a fast resilient brick to bottle up or screen as needed. The Sorc will use his trait on the 10 Blightkings to help them keep up with the faster elements.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys. 

I have seen a few well performing BK lists adding Glutos lately. What's the main reasons for that?

I may be blind but most of his stuff just applies to Hedonite Mortals right? 

Edited by Dejnar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its probably his wizarding abilities, two casts and two unbinds with bonuses to both.  Then the option to swap spells in game and casting 

Dark Delusions. Casting Value 4. Pick an enemy unit wholly within 18" that is visible to the caster and roll 2d6. If the roll is EQUAL TO or GREATER THAN the target's bravery, attacks targeting them get +1 to hit. 

Maybe?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dejnar said:

Hey guys. 

I have seen a few well performing BK lists adding Glutos lately. What's the main reasons for that?

I may be blind but most of his stuff just applies to Hedonite Mortals right? 

His -1 to hit is the main reason I think.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazzbeaux said:

Its probably his wizarding abilities, two casts and two unbinds with bonuses to both.  Then the option to swap spells in game and casting 

Dark Delusions. Casting Value 4. Pick an enemy unit wholly within 18" that is visible to the caster and roll 2d6. If the roll is EQUAL TO or GREATER THAN the target's bravery, attacks targeting them get +1 to hit. 

Maybe?

Can he really choose spells from Hedonites whilst in a Nurgle-list?

38 minutes ago, herohammer said:

His -1 to hit is the main reason I think.

Yeah, 12 inches whitin is quite powerful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

Can he really choose spells from Hedonites whilst in a Nurgle-list?

Yeah, 12 inches whitin is quite powerful.

No, you are right he cannot.  Just the basic ones and his warscroll one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 inches of radius is huge, especially considering the already wide base.

But for 400 points is it really worth it?

P.s. I wouldn't mind if in the future also a GUO would have the same ability, maybe through an artifact.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...