AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

34 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

In addition to what has already be mentioned by @Dreadmund I like to point out that a unit of 30 Plaguebearers is my best unit when it comes down to holding objectives or to slow down opponents. They are extremely ressilient though lack the damage output. On the other side they are just 20 points more than 10 Blightkings. And because you need Plaguebearers for summoning, why not just get some more.

15 Chaos Knights fill a similar role, their defensive stats are almost equal, though they do not offer that minus to hit that Plaguebearers natively have.

With a unit of Plaguebearers and a Lord of Blights you can essentially give 2 units -1 / -2 to be hit in combat and/or shooting. Against shooting the bonus is even better but I don´t exactly it´s value right now. Have a look into your battletome.

You need some fast moving heros in my opinion due to the fact that such a model allows for objective stealing via summoning. Something like: move 12" with your hero, summon a Feculent Gnarlmaw, then finally summon a unit of 5 Plaguebearers onto an objective. It allows for covering huge distances.

I often try to field a cheap sorcerer just to put in the back lines far away from the opponent to be able to cast Foul Regenesis without fear of being canceled.

On the other hand if that +2" is important to you strategy, just use the appropriate command trait.

Interesting with the Plaguebearers, I did wonder if they could be used effectively as, maybe this is an unpopular opinion, I really like the models. So thats good to know, and maybe a great use along side BKs. 

What sort of fast moving heros would you recomend? I did have a look at a sorcerer, and think I will pick one up to have in resevre for the battles that might need him. 

On a side note, If I were to use allies I would take Potentially  Bela'kor due to the gnarly ability he has to distrupt units or heros that pose a threat. I have a feeling the friend that recomended him, regrets it. 

2 hours ago, KingChaos said:

Interesting with the Plaguebearers, I did wonder if they could be used effectively as, maybe this is an unpopular opinion, I really like the models. So thats good to know, and maybe a great use along side BKs. 

What sort of fast moving heros would you recomend? I did have a look at a sorcerer, and think I will pick one up to have in resevre for the battles that might need him. 

On a side note, If I were to use allies I would take Potentially  Bela'kor due to the gnarly ability he has to distrupt units or heros that pose a threat. I have a feeling the friend that recomended him, regrets it. 

Lord of Afflictions is my favorite fast moving hero.  All three keywords (mortal, rotbringer, daemon), so he can carry the Witherstave.  Fast movement, 5+ DPR, reasonable damage, heals himself.  Gives all rotbringer (BKs!) reroll ones to hit in a 7" aura, which is great with exploding 6s.  There is a lot of extra utility if you can use his command ability on Pusgoyles (if you want to go that way).   Radio Free Hammerhall posed a video recently which had a good overview of Pusgoyles plus the interactions with LoA.

If you still want the daemon keyword, there are two cheaper fast moving options: Harbinger of Decay and Lord of Chaos on Daemonic Mount.  Both bring different things to an army, while carrying the Witherstave and moving quickly.

For allies, Bela'kor is probably the best due to the power of his disruption ability.  I really like The Contorted Epitome as it gives you some magic disruption (reroll of denial / dispell), the warscroll spell is good (target D3 enemies, reroll 1s to hit on each, and has a decent damage output.

5 minutes ago, meatpipeline said:

Lord of Afflictions is my favorite fast moving hero.  All three keywords (mortal, rotbringer, daemon), so he can carry the Witherstave.  Fast movement, 5+ DPR, reasonable damage, heals himself.  Gives all rotbringer (BKs!) reroll ones to hit in a 7" aura, which is great with exploding 6s.  There is a lot of extra utility if you can use his command ability on Pusgoyles (if you want to go that way).   Radio Free Hammerhall posed a video recently which had a good overview of Pusgoyles plus the interactions with LoA.

If you still want the daemon keyword, there are two cheaper fast moving options: Harbinger of Decay and Lord of Chaos on Daemonic Mount.  Both bring different things to an army, while carrying the Witherstave and moving quickly.

For allies, Bela'kor is probably the best due to the power of his disruption ability.  I really like The Contorted Epitome as it gives you some magic disruption (reroll of denial / dispell), the warscroll spell is good (target D3 enemies, reroll 1s to hit on each, and has a decent damage output.

Cheers for the video recomendation, I shall take a look. I do like the look of LoA both model and his Warscroll - so he probably will be in the line up. I will be probably getting a Harbinger of Decay as well, so will alternate them as needed, unless I find a list that works with both in! Thanks for the wisdom!

I have the Contorted Eptimome in my Slannesh army and it is a great model, causes problems for the other side, as long as you can protect well. 

14 hours ago, meatpipeline said:

I second this.

I also tried a Daemon Prince (due to a nice scratch build I did) and ´m about to paint a Chaos Lord on Karkadrak. To be honest, when it comes down to model selection Rule of Cool trumps every other reason more often than not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 7:28 AM, Aeryenn said:

I wonder if Nurgle is going to receive more mortals. Battleline in place of plague bearers. It's also strange that Nurgle has never received a battleforce box.

Why would Nurgle receive more mortals?  There are already multiple mortal battleline options (Blightkings, Chaos Marauders, Chaos Warriors) with Pusgoyles being battleline if.  The Nurgle range is not small, even when you don't factor in all the other books we can pull from.

I would expect something to be released with the Broken Realms book that contains Nurgle, but given what was released with Mortathi it will all be existing models.  I wouldn't expect new units until the next battletome drops or maybe AoS 3.0.  There is a lot of releases in the next year (Broken Realms, Slaannesh Mortals) leading up to AoS 3.0 not even factoring in how COVID has screwed up all the releases. 

I would say that it isn't strange that Nurgle hasn't received a battleforce.  Nurgle seems pretty popular and if I was GW I wouldn't want to sell a battleforce box that people already had a number of models for.  Sure, they are a great way to start a new army, but I'm not sure how many people out there are waiting on a battleforce to pull the trigger on a new Nurgle army.  We also already have two great start collecting boxes.

1 hour ago, meatpipeline said:

Why would Nurgle receive more mortals?  There are already multiple mortal battleline options (Blightkings, Chaos Marauders, Chaos Warriors) with Pusgoyles being battleline if. 

Naaah. Slaves to Darkness models are not Nurgle models. I don't really care about list building. I just like cool, atmospheric models that create a coherent collection. 

13 hours ago, meatpipeline said:

We also already have two great start collecting boxes.

That´s true. to be honest I can´t imagine a battleforce box due to low number of NURGLE sets out there. Everything specifcally NURGLE is already available in these two well priced start collecting boxed sets.

12 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

I don't really care about list building. I just like cool, atmospheric models that create a coherent collection. 

Just build your own. Converted or scratched built.

Hi Guys!

Just joined the Forum, been reading for all my other AoS armies, KO, GG etc. I've decided to start some Maggotkin of Nurgle.

The advice I'm seeking is for a 1000 Point list.

I  like the idea of using a group of 3 OR 6 with a Lord of Affliction to buff them.

Other than the basic synergy of Demon Hero w/ Drones Locus ability I am unsure of how to build around them. I know LoA buffs pusgoyles better than drones, but other demon heroes won't be able to keep up to buff the Drones properly.

Is it possible to go all pusgoyles, drones and LoA (all fly boys) or are Blight Kings / Plaguebearers to support objective control the way to go? (with maybe a Blight Lord for bouncing heads and CA to reduce incoming shooting.)

5 hours ago, KingShaner said:

I like the idea of using 3-6 Plague Drones!***

For fun, why not?

For serious play? I doubt. AoS is all about holding objectives and you normally need numbers to hold an objective. All the drones are pretty expensive (around 60-70 points per model for the daemon ones and around 95 points per model for the Puygoyle ones). Yes, they are tanky, but all your opponent has to do is get more models in reach of an objective to steal it from you. No fight needed. And if you try to shift him off the objectives – well, Nurgle units don´t really excell in killing other units.

That being said, if you like it, go for it! I regularly run a lord of afflictions as well as a Daemon Prince due to the look of the models. I use them to grab lone objectives and / or to summon Plaguebearers on top of objectives. LoA and Daemon Princes are rather killy too, offering you some needed offense. But I can´t see a distinctive role for the other drones be it Pusgoyles or the Daemon ones.

A Lord of Afflictions + a min unit of Pusgoyles is around 400 points, enough space to get some stuff that is better in killing things.

And to be honest I doubt that anybody out there has really tried to run a list full of drones. THerefore experience might be rather limited, most advice will be based on "reading the warscrolls" and the fact that an army full of elite models but without any serious damage dealing capacity doesn´t seem to properly work.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and advice. 

I guess I got excited by the fact that LoA buffing 6 Drones puts out 67 attacks XD. I was thinking early caps, followed by charging into basically anything I wanted and obliterating it under sheer weight of dice.

If that seems a bit one-sided perhaps the following

If I went for LoA and 3 Drones instead and took Droning Guard Subfaction, extra 4" Move and +1 to Disgustingly Resiliant CA, would it still be worth the Subfaction selection?

The  LoA and the 3 Drones (still 34 attacks + 6 from LOA)  this uses about 190 + 190 = 380, this leaves me with 620 for Objective control etc...

What would make a better Battle Line?

To my thinking I have the following Options: 

-30 Plaguebearers buffed by Demon Hero of some sort to get their Re-Rolled Saves OR Lord of Blight for the -4 to hit by ranged , -2 to hit in CC or maybe BOTH?

-Multiple Small Units of Blight Kings (3x5 etc) to spread out and capture while my Lord/Drones are causing Havoc on their side of the table.

The problem I see is that either I wont be able to steal objectives off opponent (due to low model count)  unless I kill the unit on it first! (Blight Kings) OR all my eggs are in my tarpit (Plaguebearers), and while they'll have issues killing it, they can certainly avoid the tarpit and capture other objectives on the board.

Thanks in advance for the help! It's nice having a brain to pick; I feel like I've read so many threads/forums already lol.

9 hours ago, KingShaner said:

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and advice. 

I guess I got excited by the fact that LoA buffing 6 Drones puts out 67 attacks XD. I was thinking early caps, followed by charging into basically anything I wanted and obliterating it under sheer weight of dice.

Your math is a bit off here. It´s EITHER Prehensile Proboscis OR Foul Mouthparts, not both. Therefore it´s max 8 melee attacks per drone with the Locus included.

And all those attacks don´t have any rend and are low damage.

Prehensile Proboscis and Plague Swords: 6 attacks on 3+ / 4+ (the different order mathematically is no problem) means 6 * 2/3 + 1/2 = 2 wounds before save;

Venomous Sting: 2 attacks on 4+ / 3+ leads to 2 * 2/3 + 1/2 * 2 (W3 damage averages 2 damage) = 4/3 wounds before save, but with rend -1;

Therefore a 3 drones unit equals in around 10 damge before saves. Against 5+ this is something like 6 damage in total. For a 190 points unit!

The  LoA and the 3 Drones (still 34 attacks + 6 from LOA)  this uses about 190 + 190 = 380, this leaves me with 620 for Objective control etc...

See above.

What would make a better Battle Line?

IMO it´s Chaos Marauders. Better offense / higher numbers. They offer everything your drones won´t give to you. Have in mind that Plague Drones don´t count as battleline.

To my thinking I have the following Options: 

-30 Plaguebearers buffed by Demon Hero of some sort to get their Re-Rolled Saves OR Lord of Blight for the -4 to hit by ranged , -2 to hit in CC or maybe BOTH?

-Multiple Small Units of Blight Kings (3x5 etc) to spread out and capture while my Lord/Drones are causing Havoc on their side of the table.

The problem I see is that either I wont be able to steal objectives off opponent (due to low model count)  unless I kill the unit on it first! (Blight Kings) OR all my eggs are in my tarpit (Plaguebearers), and while they'll have issues killing it, they can certainly avoid the tarpit and capture other objectives on the board.

A 30 men blob of Plaguebearers is my main winning piece (if I win at all). ;) But I see your point.

30 Plaguebearers + 20 Marauders as battleline are 460 points.

Maybe something like this:

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (190)

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (160)
- Flails
30 x Plaguebearers (300)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (190)

Total: 840 / 1000

(To be honest: this is not the list you´re looking for! It´s not a drones–list, it´s a mix of good units with a unit of drones.)

Problems are that all of these units like to recieve certain buffs. The Marauders work well with a Chaos Sorcerer Lord, the Plaguebearers (and all other troops of course) like to have a DAEMON hero with Witherstave nearby, all high attacks units like to recieve the Blades of Putrification spell (Rotbringer Sorcerer needed). Almost all MORTAL units lack the disgustingl resilient rule therefore they like to recieve the CA of Harbinger of Decay.

Therefore you have to decide which support hero you like to include and which route you go then. 1000 points is rough when it comes down to synergies.

Let´s say you´re settled on Lord of Afflictions and a unit of Plague Drones. You need battleline then: LoA buffs all kind of Blightkings, therfore Putrid Blightkings might be the way to go. You now have models with high number of attacks, but low rend and low damage. That´s where Blades of Putrification spell comes to mind. That leads to a Rotbringer Sorcerer of some kind.

One last word of advice: I like to run an allied unit of 10 Chaos Warhounds because they are one of the best screening units we can get and due to their special rule (always run 6") they are able to capture objectives early on.

Thanks in advance for the help! It's nice having a brain to pick; I feel like I've read so many threads/forums already lol.

You´re welcome!

Edited by Hannibal
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks for pointing out my Math Mistakes! I totally didn't see the foul mouthparts vs proboscis. 

Either way I am un- discouraged by the fly boys 🤣🤣👍.

Thoughts on This List?

**++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Chaos - Nurgle) [850pts] ++**

**+ Leader +**

**Lord of Afflictions [190pts]:** 0. Rotwing Commander, General

**Lord of Blights [140pts]:** 0. Cloak of Flies

**+ Battleline +*

**Putrid Blightkings [140pts]:** 5 Putrid Blightknigs, Icon Bearer, Sonorous Tocsin

**Putrid Blightkings [140pts]:** 5 Putrid Blightknigs, Icon Bearer, Sonorous Tocsin

**+ Other +

**Plague Drones [190pts]:** 3 Plague Drones, Bell Toller, Icon Bearer

. **Allegiance: Nurgle:** Cycle of Corruption, Droning Guard, Summon Daemons of Nurgle

**Game Type:** 1000 Points - Vanguard

**Purchased Command Points [50pts]:** 1 Command Point

**++ Total: [850pts] ++*

With the 140 Points Remaining I was thinking about either adding in Festus for some heals or tactical flexibility OR Gutrot Spume for some Turn 1 deepstrike.

The idea is to use a Feculant Gnarlmaw to slingshot the flies/LoA into their territory (with their droning guard pregame move), and then EITHER the LoB + BlightKings / Festus + BlightKings  to walk up supporting their respective BlightKings. Or LoB + BlightKings slowly advances while Gutrotume + BlightKings deepstrike and support my LoA + Drones or some in from another angle and maybe catch a flank.

Also thoughts on Fecula Flyblown?  She seems absurdly tanky for a wizard but I don't think she can take any other spells other than her set one and the Nurgle move the wheel one. 

I'm trying to think of best bang for my buck too. I'm thinking one of each of the start collecting + BlightKings and two unique heroes, Gutrot Spume and/or Festus Leechlord.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been reading this forum and looking online but am struggling to find out if the Thricefold battalion is a good start for someone newer to AOS. I’ve been playing 40k and have a good collection of Daemons which I now want to try and move over to AOS. I’ve always been interested in the big beasties and have the following Nurgle available:

GUO x2 (1 bell and blade, 1 sword and flail)

Rotigus

Sloppity Bilepiper

Poxbringer

Daemon Prince

60 Plaguebearers

6 Nurglings

Feculent Gnarlmaw

Would I be able to make a list or start to with these models and not be stomped every time I play? Thanks

3 hours ago, Garth1 said:

I’ve been reading this forum and looking online but am struggling to find out if the Thricefold battalion is a good start for someone newer to AOS. I’ve been playing 40k and have a good collection of Daemons which I now want to try and move over to AOS. I’ve always been interested in the big beasties and have the following Nurgle available:

Rotigus

Sloppity Bilepiper

Poxbringer

Daemon Prince

60 Plaguebearers

6 Nurglings

Feculent Gnarlmaw

Would I be able to make a list or start to with these models and not be stomped every time I play? Thanks

You can go with the thricefold battalion. I have heard its not bad. to expand on that I would probably look at a tallyband battalion maybe because you have a lot of plaguebearers. I dont play with a lot of the demon units so I cant really tell how good it is.

4 hours ago, Garth1 said:

Rotigus

Sloppity Bilepiper

Poxbringer

Daemon Prince

60 Plaguebearers

6 Nurglings

Feculent Gnarlmaw

No reason why not, the thricefold is a solid list and it looks like you've got the most important parts. As for competitiveness there are definitely some improvements that could be made, but it'd mostly depend on what kind of group/people you're playing with. Nurgle isn't the most competitive army these days, not bad but not top tier. In addition a number of the units you own aren't really great in AoS (sloppity, daemon prince and nurglings in particular). I'd suggest you start looking into the mortal side of the book as you go forward since blight kings are pretty good right now, but you should be able to get started with what you have.