AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I doubt it, things will probably change though.  I can envision Blightkings falling out of favor for Plaguebearers, Maruaders with a pile of character support, Archaon shenanigans and maybe even some battalions considered bad seeing some new testing like Tallyband or Menagerie.

6 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

So I always run mine bell+blade because I just think of GUO as an excellent support+spellecaster character. Do you find you're doing much damage (or at least, enough damage) with him armed with the most offensive stuff? I just feel like although the sword is strong, the to hit/wound means you're getting perhaps 1 hit a turn which doesn't seem worth it to me. 

In 1.0 I played him like that, but 2.0 lets you stack CP's therefore in later rounds with multiple +1A and Daemonic Power from the Sorcerer Lord, he becomes much more useful in combat.

1 hour ago, Darkfine said:

I doubt it, things will probably change though.  I can envision Blightkings falling out of favor for Plaguebearers, Maruaders with a pile of character support, Archaon shenanigans and maybe even some battalions considered bad seeing some new testing like Tallyband or Menagerie.

Have to disagree, PBKs are just as deadly now, if not more so. The force multiplier that is stacked CP's just makes units them absolute lawnmowers.

In a Glottkin/Sorcerer lord list, PBKs go off the scale in terms of providing hits, plus Daemonic power buffs their resilience.

Plaguebearers may have greater staying power but they cannot demolish the enemy in one turn like PBKs can, and that gives you much better board control. You want to dominate position, not merely hang on and deny the enemy.

2 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

Without a way to increase command points and very expensive battalions, will Maggotkin struggle against CP spam armies?

Not necessarily,  Nurgle's resilience can keep them in play and wait to stack CPs for a couple of rounds before counter-punching really hard.

2 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

Not necessarily,  Nurgle's resilience can keep them in play and wait to stack CPs for a couple of rounds before counter-punching really hard.

So, I can save 4 cp and trigger lord o plagues.command ability 4 times in a single hero phase?!

1 hour ago, peasant said:

So, I can save 4 cp and trigger lord o plagues.command ability 4 times in a single hero phase?!

Check the Maggotkin errata. Our cheaper commands are not spammable on a single unit.   I do not recall if Plagues was on that list.

Unfortunately,  those errata did not make it to the app like I had hoped.   

3 minutes ago, grungolah said:

Check the Maggotkin errata. Our cheaper commands are not spammable on a single unit.   I do not recall if Plagues was on that list.

Unfortunately,  those errata did not make it to the app like I had hoped.   

yeah! Ive checked we can not spam with afflictions, blights and harbinger. So Glottkin, GUO and plagues are not affected!

4 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

Have to disagree, PBKs are just as deadly now, if not more so. The force multiplier that is stacked CP's just makes units them absolute lawnmowers.

In a Glottkin/Sorcerer lord list, PBKs go off the scale in terms of providing hits, plus Daemonic power buffs their resilience.

Plaguebearers may have greater staying power but they cannot demolish the enemy in one turn like PBKs can, and that gives you much better board control. You want to dominate position, not merely hang on and deny the enemy.

PBKs seem worse than ever with the -1 to hit debuffs from Death and Deepkin disabling they're special ability.  

Have people figured out a fix for this or is it just a difference in meta?

2 hours ago, Krieger said:

PBKs seem worse than ever with the -1 to hit debuffs from Death and Deepkin disabling they're special ability.  

Have people figured out a fix for this or is it just a difference in meta?

I asked GW facebook if it is getting changed to unmodified 6 and they said to pound sand,

• Sad 1

On 6/28/2018 at 8:03 AM, NurglesFirstChosen said:

You can use plaguetouched in an everchosen list, but you can’t with a maggotkin list. 

So if you run plaguetouched, blightkings aren’t battleline, you don’t have access to nurgle summoning/artefacts/traits/cycle. 

Its dead for maggotkin lists, but far from dead overall, especially considering there’s a everchosen battletome on the way. 

Source for this? (For the new everchosen battletome being on the way, I mean)

Edited by Luke1705

9 minutes ago, Entombet said:

Guys need an advice, if somone would like to start Nurgle this edition. which miniature sets would be best to start?.

Start collecting. The plaguebearers and drones are auto-takes in any list with daemons in it. The nurglings are our cheapest summonable unit and can last a while. 

26 minutes ago, Entombet said:

Guys need an advice, if somone would like to start Nurgle this edition. which miniature sets would be best to start?.

If I can rewind I wont buy: Epidemius, beast of Nurgle. And I start with 2 boxes of putrid blight kings and a lord of plagues.

10 minutes ago, Entombet said:

What about mortal side of nurgle?.

Well when "mortals" are talked about that can mean with the rotbringers (putrid blightkings, glotkin, lord of plagues, blight and afflictions...etc! But it can also mean anything from the slaves to darkness line as well. So the Slaves to darkness start collecting is GREAT! warriors, knights, chaos sorcerer and a chariot!! All can be marked and taken in a nurgle army. If you want the rot bringers, I would say couple boxes of putrid blightkings for battleline and a hero like the lord of plagues or the harbinger of decay. HoD makes the blightkings ridiculously tough.

30 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Well when "mortals" are talked about that can mean with the rotbringers (putrid blightkings, glotkin, lord of plagues, blight and afflictions...etc! But it can also mean anything from the slaves to darkness line as well. So the Slaves to darkness start collecting is GREAT! warriors, knights, chaos sorcerer and a chariot!! All can be marked and taken in a nurgle army. If you want the rot bringers, I would say couple boxes of putrid blightkings for battleline and a hero like the lord of plagues or the harbinger of decay. HoD makes the blightkings ridiculously tough.

I think ill prefere the new pure nurgle models.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peasant said:

IN the build of a transportation box, Do you know if rare earth magnets will work with magnetic sheets? Or is better to go the metallic sheet route?

Im PRETTY sure the magnetic sheets will work. BTW if you live near a home depot.. they have INCREDIBLE prices on magnets. I bought these exact size...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magcraft-Rare-Earth-1-4-in-x-1-16-in-Disc-Magnet-80-Pack-NSN0657/204721317?cm_mmc=hd_email-_-Pickup_Reminder-_-20180628_PP_ET_Merch_Pickup_Reminder_3129959-_-product_image__W928746812

they ship to a nearby store for free and you can just pick them up!

• Thanks 1

I was curious as to what each summonable unit was in term of efficiency using Contagion Points, so I made this chart. It shows how many matched play points per contagion point each unit being summoned is worth. The higher the points per contagion point.. the more efficient the summon. This doesn't mean "better" because some units have specific roles on the battlefield you cant quantify.  You may need a hero on an objective so you summon horticulous...even though 20 plaguebearers costs the same contagion point and is more efficient.. for example. 

Contagio point chart.JPG

Interesting notes:

Each contagion point averages out to be about 8.5 matched play points. 

Horticulous gives you a free blight tree, which itself will generated about 10 contagion points..which is worth 8.5 each. So Horticulous ESSENTIALLY generates 85 matched play points naturally. If you take this into account against his actual matched play cost.. he is only a 135 point unit! He really shines in 2nd edition. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I was curious as to what each summonable unit was in term of efficiency using Contagion Points, so I made this chart. It shows how many matched play points per contagion point each unit being summoned is worth. The higher the points per contagion point.. the more efficient the summon. This doesn't mean "better" because some units have specific roles on the battlefield you cant quantify.  You may need a hero on an objective so you summon horticulous...even though 20 plaguebearers costs the same contagion point and is more efficient.. for example. 

Contagio point chart.JPG

Interesting notes:

Each contagion point averages out to be about 8.5 matched play points. 

Horticulous gives you a free blight tree, which itself will generated about 10 contagion points..which is worth 8.5 each. So Horticulous ESSENTIALLY generated 85 matched play points naturally. If you take this into account against his actual matched play cost.. he is only a 135 point unit! He really shines in 2nd edition. 

good idea! I think this makes Horticulous a very good option, in particular with plague drones, focus, run and charge, healing....

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

This is cool. Its interesting because time is a factor too. Do you need the 'right' summon that is super efficient, by this rekoning, or do you need the 'right now' summon? The efficiency of the GUO (if I'm interpreting your assessment correctly) is great, but you aren't getting a ton of use out of him if he appears on turn 5. It may be just what you need... there are a lot of situational cases, keep in mind. 

• Like 1