AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hi all, I was wondering, do anyone has any experience using Horticulus and the Menagerie battalion? I love Horticulus model and like the battalion ideia (planting trees and getting summoning points), but couldn't find much info on some lists running it.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, VonSmall said:

Anyone trying out the Thricefold with all the points drops in GHB2020? Seems a decent build.

Thricefold – I´m not sure about. I play in a DEATH / DESTRUCTION heavy environment and that is not good for your GUOs. They either can´t cast a spell due to high bonuses on dispelling (DEATH) or they are just slaughtered by pretty awesome melee capabilities (OGORS). I stopped playing it.

GUOs severely lack any kind of offensive output these days. They are just way overcosted compared to other hero monsters in the game IMO. Sometimes I run the Bell/Blade/Witherstaff GUO with the command ability to choose the wheel once per game as a pure supporter, but other than that they are sitting on the shelf these days.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:55 PM, Arzalyn said:

Hi all, I was wondering, do anyone has any experience using Horticulus and the Menagerie battalion? I love Horticulus model and like the battalion ideia (planting trees and getting summoning points), but couldn't find much info on some lists running it.

What was your idea of battalion composition?  How big are your Beasts of Nurgle units?  What other units were you thinking of taking in the battalion?

There are three issues I see with the battalion:

1. It doesn't contain any battleline units.  Which units were you planning on taking for battleline?

2. Horti can't take an artifact.  How were you planning on using both your artifacts?

3. The bravery debuff requires 7 models, which might be difficult based on battalion composition.  In general, bravery debugs aren't super useful unless you build around them (multiple debugs, bravery based abilities).  I could see building this battalion and completely ignoring this ability. 

I haven't used the battalion, but I have looked at summoning in detail.   A few pages back, I did some analysis on how likely you are to summon Plague Drones on turn 3 (this is the most offensive / damage unit you can get from summoning).  Using the Horti battalion makes it likely to summon Plague Drones on turn 3.  By turn 3, the second Horti tree adds 2D3 and the third adds 1D3... this means average going first is 25 pts and average going second is 20 pts.

I think the most interesting thing you can do with the Horti battalion is ALSO run a tallyband battalion.  With the point drops from GBS2020, you might be able to take enough heroes to use 3 artifacts... I haven't looked at this in a while... so maybe it isn't worth it (it wasn't before GBS2020).

13 hours ago, meatpipeline said:

What was your idea of battalion composition?  How big are your Beasts of Nurgle units?  What other units were you thinking of taking in the battalion

By what i read so far, going with the minimum requeriment (Horticulous + 3 Beasts, 610 points) would be better as it is alredy quite expensive. Of the other options we could fit into the battalion 1 or 2 Plague Drones could be interesting as a way to better spread the Gnarlmaws.

There are three issues I see with the battalion:

1. It doesn't contain any battleline units.  Which units were you planning on taking for battleline?

2. Horti can't take an artifact.  How were you planning on using both your artifacts?

3. The bravery debuff requires 7 models, which might be difficult based on battalion composition.  In general, bravery debugs aren't super useful unless you build around them (multiple debugs, bravery based abilities).  I could see building this battalion and completely ignoring this ability.

Honestly the bravery debuff ability seens quite useless, don't see much sense even brothering with it as the easiest way to get 7+ models on the battalion unities would be with Plague Drones or Nurglings. Now, your first two points are where I'm a little lost. For the battlaline opiotns seens the options are:
- Plaguebearers (10 for 110), which have the demon keyword and a good number of models
- Blightkings (5 for 140), more wound and seen do more damage
- Chaos Warriors (5 for 90), cheapest of the options
-Marauders (160 for 20), most expensive option but brings the greats number of models/points
As everything in the battalion is also a demon I wonder if its a matter of choosing between trying to synergize better with what it give us (going with plaguebearers and captalizing on Demons, probably with some drones on the battalion) or just leting the battalion as a way to get extra trees/points for summoing and trying to captalize more on the mortals. I think that narrowing which battleline to use would help looking for the  heroes to use the artifacts.

I think the most interesting thing you can do with the Horti battalion is ALSO run a tallyband battalion.  With the point drops from GBS2020, you might be able to take enough heroes to use 3 artifacts... I haven't looked at this in a while... so maybe it isn't worth it (it wasn't before GBS2020).

Going with the minimum that both battalion require would be 610 points for the menagerie + 1010 points for the tallyband (GOU + Scriveiner/Piper + 4 MUS Plaguebearers). Thta leaves 380 points which I think at least 90 of those would be necessary to get another hero for the last artifact, so +/- 290 points for another unit at max... doens't seen worth it

Edited by Arzalyn

A few interesting lists in the Hammertime 2 TTS Tournament.  Lists on TableTop TO:

https://tabletop.to/hammertime-2

Lists include a Blight Cyst, a Menagerie, and a Tallyband / Menagerie.  The Menagerie list from Benjamin Savva looks the most interesting:

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers

Leaders
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Mucktalon
The Glottkin (380)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (160)
- Axes & Shields
20 x Chaos Marauders (160)
- Axes & Shields
30 x Plaguebearers (300)

Units
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (70)

Battalions
Nurgle's Menagerie (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm not a Nurgle player but a friend in my group plays a list i just cannot get past (tried FEC and nighthaunt and been stomped both times) in 1k point games:

Great Unclean One (Bloated with corruption trait, blades of putrefaction) - 320

Rotigus ( sumptuous pestilence) - 320

5 x Blightkings - 140

5 x Blightkings - 140

5 x Chaos Warriors - 90

Yeh it goes over by 10 points but they're only friendly games so we don't stress too much. 

I just can't bring down the two big boys and keep the blightkings tied up in 5 turns. Nurgle is tough. 

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I'm not a Nurgle player but a friend in my group plays a list i just cannot get past (tried FEC and nighthaunt and been stomped both times) in 1k point games:

Great Unclean One (Bloated with corruption trait, blades of putrefaction) - 320

Rotigus ( sumptuous pestilence) - 320

5 x Blightkings - 140

5 x Blightkings - 140

5 x Chaos Warriors - 90

Yeh it goes over by 10 points but they're only friendly games so we don't stress too much. 

I just can't bring down the two big boys and keep the blightkings tied up in 5 turns. Nurgle is tough. 

You should do quite nice with a horde of models. GUOs aren´t particularly strong and that list severly lacks any damage output. Whenever I played low model Nurgle lists – even against new players – I lost due to low model count. Remember that you can hold / occupy an objective just by having more models around which isn´t that difficult if your opponent fields 17 models.

A mounted terrorgheist should be able to quite easily handle those GUOs. And if you get the charge with 20 Ghouls on a 5 man unit of Blightkings – especially with the double fighting ability of FEC – that unit of Blightkings won´t last long.

In addition, with FEC you should be able to start the game with around 20% more points due to your superior summoning.

Honestly, I can´t see any reason why this Nurgle list can win against FEC.

7 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

You should do quite nice with a horde of models. GUOs aren´t particularly strong and that list severly lacks any damage output. Whenever I played low model Nurgle lists – even against new players – I lost due to low model count. Remember that you can hold / occupy an objective just by having more models around which isn´t that difficult if your opponent fields 17 models.

A mounted terrorgheist should be able to quite easily handle those GUOs. And if you get the charge with 20 Ghouls on a 5 man unit of Blightkings – especially with the double fighting ability of FEC – that unit of Blightkings won´t last long.

In addition, with FEC you should be able to start the game with around 20% more points due to your superior summoning.

Honestly, I can´t see any reason why this Nurgle list can win against FEC.

Exploding 6's smashed my 20 man ghoul units which i was using to tie them up and i had the zombie dragon which whiffed only taking 6 wounds off the GUO. 

I just find it hard to deal damage on the big guys who heal so well. 

5 hours ago, Saxon said:

Exploding 6's smashed my 20 man ghoul units which i was using to tie them up and i had the zombie dragon which whiffed only taking 6 wounds off the GUO. 

I just find it hard to deal damage on the big guys who heal so well. 

Well, that sounds like you had some bad luck here.

If you charge the Blightkings and can hit them before retaliation you should kill 1-2 guys making it rather difficult for him to wipe out your entire unit afterwards. And you can´t really do anything against bad dice. :) All I can tell you is: my GUOs die rather easily.  :(

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 7:53 AM, Hannibal said:

Well, that sounds like you had some bad luck here.

If you charge the Blightkings and can hit them before retaliation you should kill 1-2 guys making it rather difficult for him to wipe out your entire unit afterwards. And you can´t really do anything against bad dice. :) All I can tell you is: my GUOs die rather easily.  :(

It makes me sad that an Anointed Phoenix is tankier than a GUO.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Homer72 said:

Hello, I beg your pardon, i'm not a native english speaker(german).

What does "spam" means in this context?

It certainly means play with a lot of marauder units. Marauders....Marauders everywhereeeee (ref to a ToyStory GIF ^^)

Edited by hurben
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, 

I was thinking of taking a Mortals list in friendly games and potentially to local tournaments when they start up again. My list idea was centered around an affliction cyst and a blight cyst. I despise maurader models and would never purchase them so ruling that out how would I improve this list?

Which subfaction should I take?

Lord of Afflictions - Genral Witherstave

Lord of Blights -Rustfang

Lord of Plagues 

Fecula and Wormspat

3x5 PBK

3x2 PGBL

3x nurglings

Blight cyst/affliction cyst

2000pts

1 hour ago, Lord_Vithiss said:

Hi all, 

I was thinking of taking a Mortals list in friendly games and potentially to local tournaments when they start up again. My list idea was centered around an affliction cyst and a blight cyst. I despise maurader models and would never purchase them so ruling that out how would I improve this list?

Which subfaction should I take?

Lord of Afflictions - Genral Witherstave

Lord of Blights -Rustfang

Lord of Plagues 

Fecula and Wormspat

3x5 PBK

3x2 PGBL

3x nurglings

Blight cyst/affliction cyst

2000pts

You can´t seriously win games with that army. Really, you field 28 models in 2000 points, that more elitish than Ogor Mawtribes, but with all the drawbacks (no ressilience, no special rules regarding holding objectives, no speed, no offense). All your opponent has to do is get morte models on objectives than you. Besides the chaffiest chaff out there you lack any killing power.

You pay for 2 battalions but you still field a 3 drop army (due to Fecula)? Why that?

I´d decide for one Battalion (Blight Cyst to get the Rend bonus?) and get more bodies on the ground. Either 30 Plaguebearers or 15 Chaos Warriors Just for numbers and ressilience.