AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Perry89 said:

Hey peeps I'm new to the forums , I may have stumbled across the point changes for nurgle in the GHB 2020 am i aloud to throw them up or not? 

I think you are allowed. Though you may not post pictures of "copyright by GW" stuff.

On the other hand I think they are already well known. ;)

Just now, Hannibal said:

I think you are allowed. Though you may not post pictures of "copyright by GW" stuff.

On the other hand I think they are already well known. ;)

Oh i didnt know they had already been out could you send them threw so i could compare please? 

2 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

With all the point changes I hear alot of people saying that Nurgle in combination with Wrath of the Everchosen has gotten a huge buff.

But what is Wrath of the Everchosen? This is a just a story book right?

It's a sort of campaign book, but it introduce 4 sub-factions for us to use (and others for the other Chaos factions).

2 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

It's a sort of campaign book, but it introduce 4 sub-factions for us to use (and others for the other Chaos factions).

And this is tournament/matched play legal?

How do these subfactions work? is it just like Rotbringer/Deamon/Mortal, you just pick one of these?

Just now, Dongilles said:

And this is tournament/matched play legal?

How do these subfactions work? is it just like Rotbringer/Deamon/Mortal, you just pick one of these?

100% legal. It's not like Rotbringers/Daemon since you don't really ever choose that, they are not actual sub-factions.

When making a list, you can choose a sub-faction (there's 4). If you do, then your general's trait and your first artefact are fixed (the sub-faction tells you what they are and forces you to use them), but you also gain an extra ability for free. For example, the daemon-based sub-factions give your daemons an "aura" that gives -1 rend to enemy units within 3" in the fight phase, while the rotbringers-based sub-factions make it so losing a model has you roll a dice. On a 2+ you give 1MW to the enemy unit.

30 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

100% legal. It's not like Rotbringers/Daemon since you don't really ever choose that, they are not actual sub-factions.

When making a list, you can choose a sub-faction (there's 4). If you do, then your general's trait and your first artefact are fixed (the sub-faction tells you what they are and forces you to use them), but you also gain an extra ability for free. For example, the daemon-based sub-factions give your daemons an "aura" that gives -1 rend to enemy units within 3" in the fight phase, while the rotbringers-based sub-factions make it so losing a model has you roll a dice. On a 2+ you give 1MW to the enemy unit.

Ow nice thanks for the explanation. its like the newer books subfractions.

Weird that this is in a competely different book. 

2 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

Ow nice thanks for the explanation. its like the newer books subfractions.

Weird that this is in a competely different book. 

Well, Maggotkin is really old, so we straight up had 0 sub-factions until this book, while most if not all new armies have at least a few.

With the point changes in the new handbook i was looking what could be done with nurgle and came up with a list. 

Heroes:

220 Horticulous slimux  

320 Rotigus -glorious afflictions 

120 Sorcerer -plague squall

140 Lord of plagues

General:

250 Chaos lord on karkadraks (mark of nurgle) -Virulent contagion/The carrion dirge

Battleline:

100 Chaos warriors x5 (mark of nurgle)

300 Chaos warriors x15 (mark of nurgle)

140 Putrid blightkings x5

Other:

360 Chaos knights (mark of nurgle) (prob. lances)

Spells/CP:

50 Purple sun of shysh/Aethervoid pendulum/CP (whatever you think works best)

2000/2000 

you get 40 extra points from the recent point changes on rotigus/blightkings

So the idea here is as followed: 

First of all you got a pretty substainable army but with more damage output then your usual nurgle list. 

With the extra gnarlmaw from slimux you can get some realy good summoning out if your lucky. Also forcing your opponent to get in and block gnarlmaw for contagion points. Chaos knights can be realy realy powerfull together with the chaos lord + his command ability and the +1 rend on the chaos lords weapons and the -3 bravery (you could also change the +1 rend for Hideous Visage artifact for a -2 bravery for a total of -5 bravery bomb, but i like more punch)  And ofcourse make good use of the run+charge from gnarlmaws when possible.

When the deploying the idea is to drop your rotigus/sorcerer/lord of plagues last, having plague squall and deluge of nurgle with endless range you can spray allot of mortal wounds on the battlefield, and having lord of plagues top it of if within 21" of a enemy for some extra.  
With some luck of rampant disease you can deal allot of mortal wounds around the field.

You can use the warriors as a good blocker with the reroll on saves (the  15 unit) and use your blightings together with the lord of plague for rerolls

Weakness of this army is facing armies with lots of healing/raise units back.

Let me know your thoughts. 

2 hours ago, Jonko said:

With the point changes in the new handbook i was looking what could be done with nurgle and came up with a list. 

Heroes:

220 Horticulous slimux  

140 Lord of plagues

General:

250 Chaos lord on karkadraks (mark of nurgle) -Virulent contagion/The carrion dirge

Battleline:

Other:

Spells/CP:

2000/2000 

First of all you got a pretty substainable army but with more damage output then your usual nurgle list. 

With the extra gnarlmaw from slimux you can get some realy good summoning out if your lucky. Also forcing your opponent to get in and block gnarlmaw for contagion points. Chaos knights can be realy realy powerfull together with the chaos lord + his command ability and the +1 rend on the chaos lords weapons and the -3 bravery (you could also change the +1 rend for Hideous Visage artifact for a -2 bravery for a total of -5 bravery bomb, but i like more punch)  And ofcourse make good use of the run+charge from gnarlmaws when possible.

When the deploying the idea is to drop your rotigus/sorcerer/lord of plagues last, having plague squall and deluge of nurgle with endless range you can spray allot of mortal wounds on the battlefield, and having lord of plagues top it of if within 21" of a enemy for some extra.  
With some luck of rampant disease you can deal allot of mortal wounds around the field.

You can use the warriors as a good blocker with the reroll on saves (the  15 unit) and use your blightings together with the lord of plague for rerolls

• I think you´re still including to many weak units like Lord of Plagues and the plain and simple sorcerer.
  • You gain 40 pts by point reductions. If you really want to get most out of the new points, you should include more of the points reduced stuff like more Blightkings, Lord of Afflictions,...
  • I lost all my battles due to not beeing able to dish out enough damage. I cannot see how your list will solve this problem.
  • IMO you need speed to get the best possible scenario play. Speed is also important when it comes down to summoning which is another base of good scenario play.

48 minutes ago, Hannibal said:
  • I think you´re still including to many weak units like Lord of Plagues and the plain and simple sorcerer.
  • You gain 40 pts by point reductions. If you really want to get most out of the new points, you should include more of the points reduced stuff like more Blightkings, Lord of Afflictions,...
  • I lost all my battles due to not beeing able to dish out enough damage. I cannot see how your list will solve this problem.
  • IMO you need speed to get the best possible scenario play. Speed is also important when it comes down to summoning which is another base of good scenario play.

Thanks for replying :)

You have to look at the whole picture here and the point i'm making with unlimited *  range. I don't think a plain sorcerer with plague squall for 120 points is weak.  Lord of plague could deffo get switched out, i like to hear what you think whould fit in better. 

Ofcourse i can make a list with blightkings etc. like 9/10 lists are or have been. That was not my point. I want to try to make a competive list without the regular battelions or with lots and lots of blightkings.

Dishing out damage is gonna be even more of a pain  now with the new rule of having a max of 2 saves. 

Ofcourse if summoning is your thing, you can go for a full demon list of body bags, but with this list you actualy have some damage.

Edited by Jonko

So working on nurgle lists with the points changes. I'm really interested in running 2 battalions...

Allegiance: Nurgle - Host of Chaos: Drowned Men

Lord of Afflictions (190)  - General - Command Trait : Bloated Raider - Artefact : Rot Kraken Hide

Harbinger of Decay (160)  - Artefact : The Witherstave

Lord of Blights (140)  - Artefact : Rustfang

2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (190) 

5 x Putrid Blightkings (140) 

1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (50) 

Trying to work in an affliction cyst, because my meta is super shooting heavy and plaguebearers can't stand up to the firepower of the usual cities players I face. 

Edited by Aphotic

1 hour ago, Aphotic said:

So working on nurgle lists with the points changes. I'm really interested in running 2 battalions...

Lord of Afflictions (190)  - General - Command Trait : Bloated Raider - Artefact : Rot Kraken Hide

Trying to work in an affliction cyst, because my meta is super shooting heavy and plaguebearers can't stand up to the firepower of the usual cities players I face. 

I ran almost this exact list recently ( buddies and I started putting battle reports on YouTube just search for "Happenstance Wargaming" and its the most recent one). I found it worked pretty well, and that was even with me forgetting a ton of rules ( forgot locus of corrosion and the virulent discharge from the Kings). The main difference was that I ran them as the Munificent Wanderers:  the Pusgoyles will then bounce mortal wounds back when they get hit by a roll of 6 if near the general, plus they worsen the rend of the enemies melee weapons by 1. The vanguard of Pusgoyles drop down to score you points early in the game and should hold out until you get the Blight Kings to where you need them, plus its a two drop as the Harbinger fits into the Blight Cyst. I would just throw the Muttergrub on the Lord of Blights so I can cast to move the Nurgle wheel when needed.

• LOVE IT! 1

Hello,
with the new costs changes the thricefold is again highlighted
Munificent Wanderers can make Plaguebearers even more resistant and allow to put mortal wounds
What do you think?

4 drops

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers

Leaders
Great Unclean One (320)
- General
- Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword
- Command Trait: Pestilent Breath
Great Unclean One (320)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes
Rotigus (320)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)

Battalions
Thricefold Befoulment (60)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138

4 hours ago, Iron Fist said:
Hello,
Munificent Wanderers can make Plaguebearers even more resistant and allow to put mortal wounds
What do you think?

4 drops

Leaders
Great Unclean One (320)
- General
Great Unclean One (320)
Rotigus (320)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)

Battalions

Umbral Spellportal (70)

The only thing I'd change is the artefact for The Witherstave. It's too good to pass on, and magic right now is kind of unstable anyway.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:31 AM, Jonko said:

Heroes:

220 Horticulous slimux  

140 Lord of plagues

General:

Battleline:

Other:

Spells/CP:

2000/2000 

I like what you are doing here.  Pull the enemy towards you with MW, then smash them with charges.  Also, you'll want to use Rotigus to set the wheel every turn for more mortal wound output.  So basically, you are focusing on two things:

- Long range mortal wound output

- High damage charges with Chaos Knights, Chaos Lord

There are two places that I think are room for improvement.

Lord of Plagues - His command ability isn't worth it.  (if my math is correct) 7d6 aiming for 6s, there is 27.9% of 0, 39% chance of 1, 20% of 2, 10% chance of 3.  This isn't much better than an Arcane Bolt.  Plus you want to be using the Chaos Lord's command ability every turn to smash with the Knights.  I don't think he fills the role well.  I would rather have a Lord of Blights in this spot.  He has a good shooting attack and gives your BKs shooting as well, increasing their overall threat range.  I would ignore his command ability.

Horti - I never want to build around "getting lucky" with my lists.  The question I would ask myself is what am I using summoning for: damage (Plague Drones) or holding objectives (PB, Nerglings).  If I'm aiming to summon Plague Drones for damage, I want them down on turn 3 which means Horti is valuable (3D3 by turn 3, average 6 pts).  This makes it far more likely to get 21 points by turn 3.  If you are going for objective holders, I'd skip Horti.

As for replacing Horti, I can think of a few interesting / non-standard ways to go:

- Epidemius , use remaining points for 70 pts trash screen allied from STD

- Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, use remaining 100 pts for more Chaos Warriors

- Ally in Karanak (hard hitting, decent movement, adds summoning), use remaining 130 pts for ???

I think the Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount route is the best.  You get the same command ability as the other Chaos Lord, which means you have more freedom of movement with both Lords and can still use it if one dies.

I'd like to add that Bloab Rotspawned is a mortal wizard, so another source of Plague Squall.  He's more durable than your Sorcerer and Miasma of Pestilence is really good with the number of phases you wound in (Hero, Spell, Shooting (with LoB), Combat).  I'll have to ponder this a bit more...

5 hours ago, Iron Fist said:
Hello,
What do you think?

4 drops

Leaders
Great Unclean One (320)
- General
Great Unclean One (320)
Rotigus (320)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)
30 x Plaguebearers (300)

Battalions

Umbral Spellportal (70)

If you play munificent you have to take the command trait and artefact of the host before all.

1 hour ago, meatpipeline said:

I like what you are doing here.  Pull the enemy towards you with MW, then smash them with charges.  Also, you'll want to use Rotigus to set the wheel every turn for more mortal wound output.  So basically, you are focusing on two things:

- Long range mortal wound output

- High damage charges with Chaos Knights, Chaos Lord

There are two places that I think are room for improvement.

Lord of Plagues - His command ability isn't worth it.  (if my math is correct) 7d6 aiming for 6s, there is 27.9% of 0, 39% chance of 1, 20% of 2, 10% chance of 3.  This isn't much better than an Arcane Bolt.  Plus you want to be using the Chaos Lord's command ability every turn to smash with the Knights.  I don't think he fills the role well.  I would rather have a Lord of Blights in this spot.  He has a good shooting attack and gives your BKs shooting as well, increasing their overall threat range.  I would ignore his command ability.

Horti - I never want to build around "getting lucky" with my lists.  The question I would ask myself is what am I using summoning for: damage (Plague Drones) or holding objectives (PB, Nerglings).  If I'm aiming to summon Plague Drones for damage, I want them down on turn 3 which means Horti is valuable (3D3 by turn 3, average 6 pts).  This makes it far more likely to get 21 points by turn 3.  If you are going for objective holders, I'd skip Horti.

As for replacing Horti, I can think of a few interesting / non-standard ways to go:

- Epidemius , use remaining points for 70 pts trash screen allied from STD

- Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, use remaining 100 pts for more Chaos Warriors

- Ally in Karanak (hard hitting, decent movement, adds summoning), use remaining 130 pts for ???

I think the Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount route is the best.  You get the same command ability as the other Chaos Lord, which means you have more freedom of movement with both Lords and can still use it if one dies.

I'd like to add that Bloab Rotspawned is a mortal wizard, so another source of Plague Squall.  He's more durable than your Sorcerer and Miasma of Pestilence is really good with the number of phases you wound in (Hero, Spell, Shooting (with LoB), Combat).  I'll have to ponder this a bit more...

Hey, thanks for replying and thinking with me :) !

I like the idea of swapping in lord of blights for the lord of plague. 

Down to summoning, i indeed like the idea of having a extra unit of drones coming down the moment you wanna have that extra punch, i have to say i also realy realy like the idea of epidemius. Think about it, those mortal wounds you spit out at the start of the game to fill the tallyman effect, do you think 7/14 points are easy to get (meaning you have to kill those amount of models of your enemy)  ? I guess that realy depends who your fighting with (sons of behemat RIP haha). But rerolling wound and hit rolls of 1  on your knights... oef. 

Personaly i dont have karanak + the units he summons. It whould not be my first choice.

I guess swapping in the chaos lord on demonic mount for karkadraks gets you 80 point extra, and maybe taking out lord of blights for 140, for epidemius could be a good option? that leaves you with a total of 70 points to do w/e tho. or just horti out for epdiemius. I realy like karkadraks with the artifact tho. having that extra rend on all his weapons is realy sick imo.

I will prolly test one of these build out soon with some competitive playing friend and see how it works out. :)

Oh jeh, and bloab whould also be cool and give you some more vallue in the later game. possibly you could get in him in for sorcerer + lord of blights?

From experience if you want more chaos warriors it has to be atleast 15 or it will be kinda useless

Edited by Jonko

On 7/15/2020 at 8:04 AM, Aphotic said:

The list looks good, but why the Chaos Spawns?  If you are in a shooting heavy metagame, don't you want to reduce drops to increase your chance to choose first turn?  I'd replace them with a 100 pts unit (chaos warriors, maybe?).

2 hours ago, Jonko said:

Hey, thanks for replying and thinking with me :) !

I like the idea of swapping in lord of blights for the lord of plague. 

Down to summoning, i indeed like the idea of having a extra unit of drones coming down the moment you wanna have that extra punch, i have to say i also realy realy like the idea of epidemius. Think about it, those mortal wounds you spit out at the start of the game to fill the tallyman effect, do you think 7/14 points are easy to get (meaning you have to kill those amount of models of your enemy)  ? I guess that realy depends who your fighting with (sons of behemat RIP haha). But rerolling wound and hit rolls of 1  on your knights... oef. 

Personaly i dont have karanak + the units he summons. It whould not be my first choice.

I guess swapping in the chaos lord on demonic mount for karkadraks gets you 80 point extra, and maybe taking out lord of blights for 140, for epidemius could be a good option? that leaves you with a total of 70 points to do w/e tho. or just horti out for epdiemius. I realy like karkadraks with the artifact tho. having that extra rend on all his weapons is realy sick imo.

I will prolly test one of these build out soon with some competitive playing friend and see how it works out. :)

I would do Epidemius as a straight swap for Horti.  Epidemius wants to hide in a corner, pull your enemy out, and allow you to counter charge.  He needs babysitting :).  If you want Epidemius, you end up in this cycle of prioritizing damage dealing to increase the buffs.  I'd never want to remove something like the Lord on Karkadrak to make room for Epi... it seems like that would remove too much damage output.

I think it's probably "easy" to get 7 unit kills against most armies.  Most battle-line units are not resilient and 5x or 10x in size.  With the strength of your chargers, I would expect that after your first charge plus MW output, you'd be near 7 kills.  The latest GHB missions upped the average number of objectives, so I would expect people to play with more bodies on the board.  More bodies to tally!

I wouldn't swap the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak out of the list.  That guy is GOOD and very scary for your opponent.  I want as many threatening units (Knights, Chaos Lords, Rotigus) as possible, so your opponent can't just focus on one.  The only way I'd take the Karkadrak out is for two Lords on Daemonic Mounts... maybe? I'm not really sure.

I need to do some math to see what average contagion point totals on turn 3 look like to see how much difference an extra tree makes.  I'll get back to you.

3 hours ago, Jonko said:

Oh jeh, and bloab whould also be cool and give you some more vallue in the later game. possibly you could get in him in for sorcerer + lord of blights?

From experience if you want more chaos warriors it has to be atleast 15 or it will be kinda useless

I think I'd want to go Bloab + Sorcerer, but I didn't think too hard about it before I posted :).

If chaos warriors are useless under 15, then why take the unit of 5?  You could spend your spare points to replace them with a unit of Blight Kings to fulfill the battle-line requirement.

what about something like:

Allegiance: Chaos
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Blights (140)
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
Blight Cyst (140)

Total: 2110 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 182

Should pick up pts from the BKs once WarComm updates.  Going for T1 charges w the knights off the Trees w additional backfield pressure from Gutrot.  I think I've covered the battalion reqs....