AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So I gave in to the calling of Grandfather and have built up the forces of nurgle.

I was looking at the synergy of Legion of the First Prince (chaos ascendant) and Be'Lakor, and am very intrigued. However, I am wondering if the battalion bonus is worth it? (I think it's double damage for Nurgle Units)

List 1:
Be'lakor
Spoilpox Scrivener
GUO w/ bell and bileblade

PLaguebearers x20
Plaguebearers x10
Plaguebearers x10

Plague Drones x3
Plague Drones x3
Plague Drones x3

Geminids

List 2:
Be'lakor
Rotigus
Spolipox Scrivener

PLaguebearers x30
Plaguebearers x10
Plaguebearers x10

Plague Drones x3
Plague Drones x3

Any suggestions are appreciated! Not married to anything, just bouncing ideas around?

@broverpowerd 

What sized army are you going for? The first list comes in at 1810.

General rule of thumb is to NEVER take lesser demons in packs of 20.  Either 30 or 10.  you can drop the scrivener. He is certainly not worth the points. He provides offensive upgrades for a terrible offensive unit. They are they to take damage and sit on objectives. 

I think you will be disappointed in drones. Units of 3 die very fast. Units of 6 are better but expensive. And make a better bodyguard for belakor. Target saturation. base locking enemies in combat. 

Scrivener will never make his 90 points back. 

Fire away with more questions. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

I have more or less same army list and I would like some advice guys.
All the lists are 2 drops only. This is something I count on.

List #1 

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers

LEADERS 

Great Unclean One (340) 5" 4+ 16 10

- General
- Command Trait : One Last Gift
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact : Mucktalon
- Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes

Verminlord Corruptor (280) 12"* 4+ 12 10
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120) 4" 4+ 5 10
- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions

UNITS

30 x Plaguebearers (320) 4" 5+ 1 10
10 x Plaguebearers (120) 4" 5+ 1 10
3 x Plague Drones (200) 8" 5+ 5 10

BATTALIONS

Tallyband of Nurgle (160)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Shards of Valagharr (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 118

The goal is to use the Verminlord with his dedicated spell to kick ass some big units. he will represent a major threat to the opponent and his -1 hit combined with endless spell and Favored Poxes will make it very difficult for the opponent to drop him. Poxbringer will be not too far from the Verminlord to let him regen +1 wound each turn (we can also imagine D3 wounds with Plague Wind) and the drones will be there with him to receive +1 att on each weapons. The GUO will be around with the 2x30 plague' to sit on objectives and do MW on 6 with One Last Gift.

List #2 :

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS

- General - Command Trait : One Last Gift
- Artefact : Tome of a Thousand Poxes

Rotigus (340) 5" 4+ 16 10
- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence

UNITS

BATTALIONS

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 117

The goal here is to snipe the ennemy heros with Rotigus's spell and with all other ways to play with MW. The Purple Sun will be here to help for dealing with big ennemy units. Rest is the same as list #1.

List #3 :

LEADERS

- General
- Command Trait : One Last Gift
- Artefact : The Witherstave

Horticulous Slimux (220) 5" 3+ 8 10

UNITS

1 x Beasts of Nurgle (80) 5" 5+ 7 10

BATTALIONS

Shards of Valagharr (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 130

The last list is really interesting too. I like Horticulous and with the new hosts this boy is 3+ save 5+fnp  and reduce rend by 1. With witherstarve and One Last gift my units will tank as hell and also do some good MW with 6 on hit in a bubble of 24" around my big GUO. Beasts will do their stuff with retreat moves and do D3 MW on 4+ and also add +1 damage if they stay around Horticulous. That's a list I want to give a try ;) 

Edited by hurben

@hurben

One quick comment about list3

Matching witherstaff on your general in wanderers with the general trait is not a very good option. At least don't think you will bounce any mortal wounds back... 

One last gift is as far as I know only wholly within 12 of your general so 1:1 with the witherstave

Edited by Zplash

21 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Matching witherstaff on your general in wanderers with the general trait is not a very good option. At least don't think you will bounce any mortal wounds back... 

If the unmodified hit roll for an attack made with a melee weapon that targets a friendly MUNIFICENT WANDERERS DAEMON unit wholly within 12" of this general is 6, the attacking unit suffers 1 mortal wound after all of its attacks have been resolved.

To me, it means, first 6s are MW, then each 6 has to be rerolled when an ennemy unit is at 12" or less than my GUO.
I think it's completely playable. It depends how you play your plaguebearers units but I can do a bubble with a circular arrangement of my units around my GUO. When plaguebearers die I remove them at the rear and not those who are directly in close combat with the enemy unit.

Btw, the other option is to use Tome of Thousand poxes to get +1 to cast and pump my GUO to +2 with his natural ability. 

What do you think ?

13 minutes ago, hurben said:

If the unmodified hit roll for an attack made with a melee weapon that targets a friendly MUNIFICENT WANDERERS DAEMON unit wholly within 12" of this general is 6, the attacking unit suffers 1 mortal wound after all of its attacks have been resolved.

To me, it means, first 6s are MW, then each 6 has to be rerolled when an ennemy unit is at 12" or less than my GUO.
I think it's completely playable. It depends how you play your plaguebearers units but I can do a bubble with a circular arrangement of my units around my GUO. When plaguebearers die I remove them at the rear and not those who are directly in close combat with the enemy unit.

Btw, the other option is to use Tome of Thousand poxes to get +1 to cast and pump my GUO to +2 with his natural ability. 

What do you think ?

I think the MW is only proccing if the reroll is a 6 too... Don't ask me what is the exact rule for that. Someone out of this forum can surely post it, but I'm very sure that's the way it is played. And therewith the whole list crumbles due to 0 dmg output. And if we only look at objective play I would highly suggest a LoB and mostly adding belakor too. But this is only my preference and was for me a stable 2 win out of 3 games list on my last 2 tournaments, sadly months ago... 

Tome of poxes is totally waste artefact in my opinion... And very important it only works on the lore spell, so in your case only on favored poxes. Better go with for example endless gift and send GUO into the fights and tie up the enemy units. 

Hope it helps aittle bit. Cheers

• Like 1

Ok i'll ask for the witherstarve. Indeed, if it works like you say, it's worthless AF.
Endless Gift is really cool too but why bring the GUO into the fight in this configuration (Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell)

9 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Tome of poxes is totally waste artefact in my opinion... And very important it only works on the lore spell, so in your case only on favored poxes.

Not for Plague Wind ??

About Be'Lakor it's a good option. I need to keep 2/3 drops max.
What's your army list ?

9 hours ago, hurben said:

Ok i'll ask for the witherstarve. Indeed, if it works like you say, it's worthless AF.
Endless Gift is really cool too but why bring the GUO into the fight in this configuration (Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell)

Not for Plague Wind ??

About Be'Lakor it's a good option. I need to keep 2/3 drops max.
What's your army list ?

No not for plaguewind... 

My defense list was this wanderers list but currently I'm more leaning into a mix with more offensive because you just can't win a match with this list if there isn't a kind of middle objective which you can grab. If the objectives are only in each other's terretories you kind of auto lose :/

Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- General
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Mucktalon
Be'Lakor (240)
- Allies
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
Tallyband of Nurgle (160)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 116

I like this list. But this is a 4 drops list and again shooting or magic list you’re out if your opponent chooses to start first. Tzeentch, Hallowheart, Kharadron, or skaven will shoot you R1 and no more GUO or Be’Lakor.

1 hour ago, hurben said:

I like this list. But this is a 4 drops list and again shooting or magic list you’re out if your opponent chooses to start first. Tzeentch, Hallowheart, Kharadron, or skaven will shoot you R1 and no more GUO or Be’Lakor.

Its 3 drops and you are not out vs casting or shooting... Because Belakor skill functions turn1 if you want and if they really focus everything in the GUO totally fine :D

You lose if you are not able to hide Lob and shooting the plaguebearers with minus 4to hit will be hard... 

So you losing against 1 drops or 2 drops who can rush objectives because you won't push them anywhere without any dmg ;)

To be fair this is the biggest shooting counter list out there... 

Edited by Zplash

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys from nurgle side :)

I got a question about puttrid offering with the GUO.  Sorry I didn't find the answer in the previous pages...

Do we have official rules about how we understand this specific rules. Does GW already answer to that question and recommended a way to play it.

I have a debate in a tournament. 

Can we use it as much as we can (-15 hp, +15 to cast ?!)

Or only +1 per cast/unbind ? 

Do you know how it is played in big tournament aswell ?

Thanks guys !

On 6/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, Whiteman said:

Hello guys from nurgle side :)

I got a question about puttrid offering with the GUO.  Sorry I didn't find the answer in the previous pages...

Do we have official rules about how we understand this specific rules. Does GW already answer to that question and recommended a way to play it.

I have a debate in a tournament. 

Can we use it as much as we can (-15 hp, +15 to cast ?!)

Or only +1 per cast/unbind ? 

Do you know how it is played in big tournament aswell ?

Thanks guys !

Hey! It's once per cast. So with your 2 cast GUO you can use it 2 times for each spell. Ah and of course always 1 time for a unbinding try. 

Hey team.

Love the models, I’m wanting to batch paint 2k points straight off the bat then add to the army from there. Nothing too scary in my local group, Khorne daemons, OBR(no shooting), Nighthaunt, LON.

Just wondering if there’s any auto include models/battalions I should know about? Any pointers for a good core to a 2k force would be appreciated. Cheers

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:33 PM, hurben said:

I am not sure if there was ever an answer on this but for me it is (sort of) simple:

If A) the mws back to the opponent are procced on a 6 and then the opponent rerolls, then B) mws towards you (from any of the units in game doing mws on unmodified 6s to hit) go through and then the opponent rerolls. This would allow for double procs.

I reject B so must reject A.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Turragor said:

I am not sure if there was ever an answer on this but for me it is (sort of) simple:

If A) the mws back to the opponent are procced on a 6 and then the opponent rerolls, then B) mws towards you (from any of the units in game doing mws on unmodified 6s to hit) go through and then the opponent rerolls. This would allow for double procs.

I reject B so must reject A.

The answer is in the core rulebook on page 1, the last sentence under heading  Re-Rolls: "Rules that refer to the result of an ‘unmodified’ dice roll are referring to the result after any re-rolls but before any modifiers are applied."

I've just started AoS and have been aiming to build a summoning heavy Nurgle Daemons list.  Do people have recommendations for what is good / fun / interesting in this type of list?

I've been thinking of allying in Karanak, as he has a warscroll ability to summons flesh hounds.  Are there any other units we can ally in that have similar unit summoning / generating abilities?

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, Troll.exe said:

Hey team.

Love the models, I’m wanting to batch paint 2k points straight off the bat then add to the army from there. Nothing too scary in my local group, Khorne daemons, OBR(no shooting), Nighthaunt, LON.

Just wondering if there’s any auto include models/battalions I should know about? Any pointers for a good core to a 2k force would be appreciated. Cheers

I was wondering the same thing, and for the Nurgle Mortals side I've read good things about the Blight Cyst (I think that's the one) with bunches of Putrid Blightkings who get Rend-1 and some other bonuses.  They're solid battleline too, and I have used Gutrot Spume with a unit of them to outflank before many times with good success.

Also, don't forget you can take the Skaventide Clan Pestilens guys in a Nurgle army too.  Nice thing is, you could play them with two different battletomes if you want some play variety.  Plague Priests are the shiznit, as are Verminlord Corruptors (I used them in my Skaven days of yesteryear).

Great Unclean One though, probably a must have, aside from a Feculent Gnarlmaw.

While I haven't seen them on the table anytime recently, those Maggothlord monsters are super cool.  Maybe they're not super good but wow, such great models!

I've been tinkering with the idea of doing a Nurgle's Menagerie plus ?, as I love the notion of Horticulous Slimux and a bunch of Beasts of Nurgle planting trees every turn.   Anyone ever try that one?

The retreat and doing MW and then doing it again and again is very appealing.  Running an charging from all the trees is fun too for such traditionally slow-pokey guys as Nurgle has been.  Maybe a StD Nurgle battalion with a bunch of Spawn too would be fun.  Very thematic.  Not sure how great, but thematic :D

Edited by Lord Krungharr
Forgot to ask my own questions

Pretty new to Nurgle, but I was thinking of a list with 4 big baddies. How viable do you think it is?

2x GUO

1x Rotigus

1x Glottkin

4x10 Plaguebearer

Thricefold Befoulment Battalion

Another list I was thinking of is:

2xGUO

1x Rotigus

1x Horticolous Slimux

1x30 Plaguebearers

3x10 Plaguebearers (Could also switch these for 2x5 Blight Kings)

Thricefold Befoulment Battalion

With Horticolous I could have around 3 Feculent Trees on the Board on turn 1.

I am very grateful for your feedback on both lists :)

Thank you very much in advance!!! :)

Edited by B.C.D.

I think Horticulous can only plant 1 tree in a game unless he's bringing the Menagerie battalion.  But I support planting trees whenever possible :)

Is Rotigus any good?  Never seen him in action.   

I currently have a Beasts of Chaos army that I've used as Khorne and Tzeentch with decent success.  Looking at trying out Nurgle with them; I have:

3 Doombulls

1 Shaman

1 Beastlord

3x10/30 Gors

2x10/20 Bestigors (looking at getting another unit of 10)

3x3 axe/shield Bullgors

3x3 greataxe Bullgors

Anyone tried out the Pestilent Throng in a Nurgle army?  What would be good Nurgle units to add to this mix and get more use of my old school all metal Beasts of Chaos?

I found an old Plague Priest to throw into the mix; he seems like a good anti-horde unit with the prayers.  I also have my old Chaos Toilet Herald, don't they have access to good spells in the Nurgle tome?

Edited by Lord Krungharr
Got a couple more Nurgle units

On 5/18/2020 at 2:06 AM, broverpowerd said:

List 2:
Be'lakor
Rotigus
Spolipox Scrivener

PLaguebearers x30
Plaguebearers x10
Plaguebearers x10

Plague Drones x3
Plague Drones x3

Any suggestions are appreciated! Not married to anything, just bouncing ideas around?

I had made a similar list and was actually looking in this thread for legion of the first prince ideas

14 hours ago, backslide said:

I had made a similar list and was actually looking in this thread for legion of the first prince ideas

I've just started AoS and I'm planning on building a Tallyband of Nurgle based list that is similar.  I don't have much game experience, so this is mostly theorycraft.  I'd love to get feedback from more experienced players.

When I look at this list, I see the Plague Drones as a very threatening hammer.  They cover a large range on the board with move + shoot + charge / run+charge with a tree, the ability to fly over terrain/screens, and multiple ways to stack extra attacks (Locus + GUO command ability).  They can be used to kill enemy hero's or pin the enemy in their deployment zone while moving out to take board control with the rest of your army (30x plaguebearers + GUO).

The big issue I see is that Plague Drones require a Nurgle Daemon Hero to trigger Locus of Contagions (+1 attacks).  This is a big damage boost (+1 ranged attack, +3 melee attacks).  Be'lakor doesn't have Nurgle keyword.  The GUO could keep up, but Bell + Blade is a support hero so you might not want it on the front lines.  The other heroes that fulfill this requirement are slow and won't be able to keep up.    Plague drones are expensive.  I think that if you want to take them, you have to be able to reliably trigger Locus of Contagion.  You have a couple of options to take a higher movement (7+ inches) Nurgle Daemon Hero:

• Lord of Afflictions (200 pts)
  • Harbinger of Decay (160 pts)
  • Daemon Prince (210 pts)
  • Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount (170 pts)
  • Archaon (800 pts)
  • Verminlord Corruptor (280 pts)

If I missed anything from this list, please let me know!

Of these options, I like the Lord of Afflictions as it seems like an offensive focused unit and a good mix of healing + mortal wounds / durability / damage.  I could see going for the Verminlord as well.  Unfortunately the harbinger's amazing command ability is Mortals only.

@backslide If I was looking into Legions of Chaos Ascendant, I would definitely take a look at the Verminlord as 10 attacks with the Fourfold Blade is amazing!

For reference, the summoning-focused 2k list I am building towards is (3 drops):

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plague Flail & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- General
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Battalions

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

Hey guys, I have few questions regarding Be'Lakor. I'll play him in a Munificient Wanderers host and a Tallyband battalion.

1. Will he be taken as a MUNIFICENT WANDERERS DAEMON unit ? 
  2. Can he use the Infested with Wonders ability ?
  3. Will he be affected by the Nurgle Cycle of Corruption as a ally unit ?
  4. What does UNDIVIDED keyword mean ?

Thanks btw ;) 

7 hours ago, hurben said:

Hey guys, I have few questions regarding Be'Lakor. I'll play him in a Munificient Wanderers host and a Tallyband battalion.

1. Will he be taken as a MUNIFICENT WANDERERS DAEMON unit ? 
  2. Can he use the Infested with Wonders ability ?
  3. Will he be affected by the Nurgle Cycle of Corruption as a ally unit ?
  4. What does UNDIVIDED keyword mean ?

Thanks btw ;) 

1. Sub-factions (MUNIFICENT WANDERERS) only apply members of your army that have the allegiance (not allies) and are non-unique.  The wording from the Tamurkhan's Horde compendium is (underlined emphasis is mine):

"After you have chosen the Maggotkin of Nurgle allegiance for your army, you can give it the Tamurkhan’s Horde keyword. All Maggotkin of Nurgle units in your army gain that keyword (with the exception of named characters that do not already have the Tamurkhan’s Horde keyword on their warscroll)."   Note: I think that Maggotkin of Nurgle allegiance was later shortened to Nurgle allegiance.

There is probably better wording in the Wrath of the Everchosen, but I don't have the book handy.

2. He won't have the MUNIFICENT WANDERERS keyword, so no.

3. He doesn't have the Nurgle keyword, so he won't be affected by the buffs in the cycle of corruption and will take damage from The Burgeoning.

4. UNDIVIDED means devoted to chaos but not to a specific chaos god (it's shorthand for "Chaos Undivided").  I'm new to AoS, so I'm not familiar with any abilities that use the keyword UNDIVIDED... maybe if you you are playing a Grand Alliance Chaos or Slaves to Darkness?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 5:56 PM, meatpipeline said:

1. Sub-factions (MUNIFICENT WANDERERS) only apply members of your army that have the allegiance (not allies) and are non-unique.  The wording from the Tamurkhan's Horde compendium is (underlined emphasis is mine):

"After you have chosen the Maggotkin of Nurgle allegiance for your army, you can give it the Tamurkhan’s Horde keyword. All Maggotkin of Nurgle units in your army gain that keyword (with the exception of named characters that do not already have the Tamurkhan’s Horde keyword on their warscroll)."   Note: I think that Maggotkin of Nurgle allegiance was later shortened to Nurgle allegiance.

There is probably better wording in the Wrath of the Everchosen, but I don't have the book handy.

2. He won't have the MUNIFICENT WANDERERS keyword, so no.

3. He doesn't have the Nurgle keyword, so he won't be affected by the buffs in the cycle of corruption and will take damage from The Burgeoning.

4. UNDIVIDED means devoted to chaos but not to a specific chaos god (it's shorthand for "Chaos Undivided").  I'm new to AoS, so I'm not familiar with any abilities that use the keyword UNDIVIDED... maybe if you you are playing a Grand Alliance Chaos or Slaves to Darkness?

Thanks mate for all these great answers :) 

It sounds strange, but this Saturday I have a small event in which you have to bring a list of 500 points.

I haven't played in a long time and I've never make a list of so few points, in addition there are restrictions... 150 points max for a general and a battleline compulsory.. so it's being very difficult for me..

I have thought in a plague drone unit and a herald as general (or maybe use festus) ,  and for the battleline.. a unit of blightkings.. 

Any better ideas?

Is it worth using everchosen subfactions? if yes, what?

Thanks in advance